Chapter 15

EDITING | Tangled Ball of Red

Wednesday

The days went by fast, already halfway through the week. 

Gina sat at her desk during afternoon recess, thinking of some activities to do with her students that involves winning prizes. Just the night before, Gina made a trip to a stationary store and bought a few cheap pens and pencils, crayons and markers, and a variety of books and toys.

As Gina thought and thought, she finally came up with an idea. Throughout the week, if the kids behaved or did something well deserved, they would get some sort of token as a reward to get prizes at the end of the week. If they misbehaved or did something unfavourable, they would get their tokens taken away. She wasn't sure if it was going to work out but thought she should give the idea a try. She headed to the art supply room and grabbed some popsicle sticks.

On her way back to the classroom, Gina received a text from Hyungsik informing her that tonight would be a good time for both Ailee and her to visit his grandma. Gina had been getting worried as she hasn't heard from or seen Hyungsik for the past two days since Sunday night. Ailee had told her that Hyungsik had been very quiet at work, where Mimi failed to make him even brak a small smile when she'd crack one of her jokes to cheer him up. She quickly replied back to Hyungsik that she'd be outside the hospital at 5.

When her students were back in class after recess, Gina began to explain her idea: exchanging their popsicle stickes for prizes. She had ranked some of the prizes by popularity and told them that the more popsicle sticks you earn, the better prizes you can get. She added that they can save them up for other weeks for better prizes. Gina started off by giving them one popsicle stick each.

After school, as always, Gina sat on the bench to wait until all her students were picked up. Doo Joon joined her shortly after she sat down and they greeted each other. He sat down shivering, his arms crossed, hands tucked in between his chest and arm for warmth. He was underdressed for the chilly weather, wearing only a hoody and sweats.

"Yeah, I ran out of the building without my jacket. Thought I'd be late," says Doo Joon, turning to face Gina and smiles. "But I guess I'm not too late."

"Haha not at all, and I will always stay until all my kids are picked up, so don't worry. Aren't you going to call Sang Woo over?" Gina asks.

"Nah, I'll let him play for a little while longer. He loves that ball by the way. You made a good choice of gift." 

Doo Joon was looking at Gina again with that smile of his, making her feel tingly inside. She didn't even know why because they haven't been talking as much. Monday, she told him about Ken's wedding and Tuesday, he left as soon as he came to pick Sang Woo up. She mentally cursed at Ailee for putting the idea of Doo Joon in her head. Again, she felt wrong for thinking about another man when she was with Jay. Gina began to wonder if what Ailee said about Doo Joon's interest was true. She tried to look at Doo Joon's hands to see if there was a way to see his string, to see if she can see where the end of it led to. She saw his thread, but it just faded into the sea of red that suddenly appeared on the ground. If it was true, Gina should try to avoid it at all costs because it was wrong on many levels. She debated whether to mention Jay in their conversation or ask him about his wife but before she decided on the latter, Doo Joon suddenly stands straight up with his arm reaching out to Sang Woo who was running toward him. Sang Woo grabs onto his hand and he instructs Sang Woo to bid Gina good bye.

"Well, we'll be heading home now. Good bye Miss. Choi," says Doo Joon, turning about to leave.

"Gina. You can call me Gina," states Gina. For some reason she wanted him to call her by first name. She wanted it to be more casual and comfortable than formal.

"Okay, see you tomorrow Gina," says Doo Joon when he turns back around to face her, flashing her a smirk, then slowly runs to the intersection to cross the street with Sang Woo.

 

Gina drove to Ailee's shop first to tell her about visiting Hyungsik's grandma that evening.

"Really? Why didn't he text me about it?" Ailee seemed a bit disappointed. "This means I have to close the shop early."

"Why? Where's Mimi?" asks Gina, looking around the shop.

"Well, about an hour after Hyungsik left, Mimi got a call and she asked for the rest of the day off because some family matter came up so I let her go. Of course I couldn't keep her at work but I also didn't know that we would be seeing Sikkie's grandma today."

"Ohh, okay. Well I can help you for about an hour then you can close up early for the day and we can go get a fruit basket for grandma on the way to the hospital," says Gina.

"Thanks. You can sell the cakes, I'lll make the drinks. Just call me, I'll be in the back finishing up a cake order," says Ailee as she heads to the kitchen."

 

The girls were around half an hour late to meeting Hyungsik at the hospital. A little past 5:30, they got a fruit basket and rushed straight to the hospital. As they approached the hospital's parking lot, Gina and Ailee saw Hyungsik walking toward the parking lot, with two figures following behind him. Gina quickly parks her car and they both get out, starting to witness something unexpected. Hyungsik had stopped walking when he reached the end of the sidewalk being held back by a grab of his arm by Dr. Lee. They couldn't make out what they guys were saying but Hyungsik seemed angry and Dr. Lee worried, like Dr. Lee was trying to work things out with Hyungsik. Ailee whispers to Gina, assuming that the couple must have been in a fight, but Ailee takes her words back when the second figure who was behind the guys emerged. It was Mimi. The girls looked at each other astonished, but more confused than ever. What was Mimi doing there with Hyungsik and Dr. Lee?

Everything happened in seconds. Mimi had held onto Hyungsik's hand, her eyes seem to be pleading to him but Hyungsik roughly shakes his hand away, causing Mimi to tumble backward, luckily into Dr. Lee's arms, and turns toward the parking lot again. At the same time that the girls made eye contact with Hyungsik, Dr. Lee grabs onto his arm again and Hyungsik twist to punch Dr. Lee in the face. Dr. Lee falls to the ground, Mimi coming to his aid while Hyungsik fumes away out of the parking lot. The girls were shocked about what they just saw but ran to Dr. Lee, asking him how he was.

"I'm fine. You girls should follow Hyungsik. He shouldn't be alone right now. Hurry," instructs Dr. Lee.

"I got him," says Mimi. Ailee gives her a confused look then nods her head and gets up together with Gina to chase after Hyungsik.

"What was that all about?" Ailee asks Gina. "I first thought they might've had a fight but then, Mimi appears from nowhere. Why was she there? Maybe a family member of hers is in emergency and she saw Hyungsik there... but Dr. Lee? I don't-"

"Hyungsik!" Gina shouts, interrupting Ailee's thoughts. They catch up to him but he ignores them, looking upset.

"Hyungsik!" Ailee yells out this time, placing her hands on his shoulders, blocking his way. "I don't know what's going on, but Dr. Lee told us we shouldn't leave you alone. I won't ask you what happened, but just stay quiet because you probably want some thinking time, no, you need time to think of what you just did. You're coming home with us."

Ailee didn't give him a chance to talk. She takes him by the hand and leads hims back to the parking lot. The car ride home was silent, but Gina was glad that Hyungsik calmed down. Questions filled the girl's heads, especially Ailee. She wondered why Mimi was present, and if there was something going on between her and Dr. Lee. Maybe that was why Hyungsik was so upset.

When they reached their apartment building, the girls quietly walked Hyungsik to his door. 

"You guys aren't coming in are you?" Hyungsik asks, breaking the silence as he unlocks his door.

"No, we'll leave you here. Get some rest," says Gina.

"I want you to think about what you did today. To Dr. Lee and Mimi," says Ailee. "You were kind of rough."

"Yeah, I've thought about it in the car. Sorry you guys saw all that, that ugly side of me. I'll go apologize to them tomorrow."

"Everything will be okay," whisper Ailee, going in to hug Hyungsik before leaving. "See you tomorrow."

When the girls returned to their suite, they sat down to discuss their thoughts on what happened that evening. Gina brushed it off, saying that eventually, it will become clear and told Ailee not to think about it too much. There was a possible chance there was some misunderstanding and Mimi just happened to be there. What were the chances that the three of them was involved some way?

Gina and Ailee spent their evening watching a TV drama for about an hour, then Ailee decides to go wash up and head to bed early for once, to which Gina does the same. Both of them laid in their beds, thoughts filling their heads. Ailee continued to think and wonder about Dr. Lee, Mimi and Hyungsik while Gina about Yong Guk, Jay and Doo Joon.

Gina sat up in her bed, finally deciding on following Ailee's advice to get rid of anything that would remind her of Yong Guk. Like it was a sign, Gina found an empty box beside her desk and began to fill it with gifts that Yong Guk had given her, things that they made on their dates, and all pictures that they took. Gradually, the box got full until all that was left was the teddy bear and ring. Gina couldn't bear to put it in the box so she laid back on her bed, holding onto the teddy bear. She pressed its button a few times, listening to the words that Yong Guk had recorded. She takes a huge sigh after thinking, takes the box with the ring out and places the teddy bear in the box. Gina thought the ring was too valuable to throw out, so she planned to go return the ring to Yong Guk one day. She closes the box then puts on her jacket. Gina lifts up the box and quietly leaves downstairs to the garbage dump. When she got there, Gina sits the box next to the bin and opens the box once more to look at all the items that carried great memories. She smiles to herself, closes the box and goes back upstairs to bed.

Next morning, Gina woke up earlier than usual. She silently goes to wash up, prepares breakfast and leaves a note for Ailee telling her that she wanted some alone time to think after throwing away all the things that reminded her about Yong Guk. She left Ailee the car keys, deciding to walk to school. When Gina arrived to the school, she receives a text from Ailee saying that she was proud of Gina.

All day, Gina was distracted about thoughts on the box's whereabouts. Did the garbage truck already come by? At the end of the day, Gina gave up, believing that the box and all its contents was gone. She should stop thinking about Yong Guk and move on. Nothing should be holding her back anymore, yet she felt confused. Many times, she thought that she has fully moved on, especially after reuniting with Jay and being with him. Gina was happy with Jay, but why does Yong Guk keep appearing?

"Hey," greets Doo Joon as he sits down next to Gina on the bench. "You seem troubled."

Gina hesitated before answering. "Can I tell you something? I really need a friend right now, that I can-"

"Of course, let it out."

Gina began telling Doo Joon about Jay, her feelings; Yong Guk, and her confusions. She told him about the box and how she thought she had move on but obviously, she hasn't.

"Well, why do you think you can't let Yong Guk go? Is it the fact that he isn't happy?" asks Doo Joon.

"To be honest, I'm not even sure. I know there's is no way for us to get back together, I mean, he's getting married next week. He'll have a wife, and a child coming soon, a family. I can't ruin that. But yes, that last time I saw him, he didn't look that great. I do want him to be happy."

"Everyone should be happy, including you, and you guys will be. You have Jay who makes you feel that way, and Yong Guk might get that from that nurse. It'll take them time, but he'll get that happiness. Maybe not from his wife, but because of their child." Doo Joon gives her a reassuring smile and she lets what he says sink in. She processes his words and begins to wonder if the last part was referring to Sang Woo and his mother.

"I'm not sure if this would help but maybe, have lunch with both of them. Bring Jay along too, that might help. If you see them together and they look fine as a couple, you possibly might be able to move on after. It has been days since you've last seen Yong Guk so he might have changed and learned to love his wife. That's a start, but only if you feel comfortable about it," suggests Doo Joon. "But like I said, I'm not sure if it's a good idea so just think about it for a bit."

"Thanks," says Gina. "Thank you for listening and the advice, I appreciate it."

Gina apologizes, saying she needed to go home. She bids Doo Joon good bye and thanks him once more before leaving. As she rushed home, Gina thought about what Doo Joon told her. She considered his suggestion but first, she wanted the box of Yong Guk back. Maybe Doo Joon was right, that the reason she couldn't let Yong Guk was because she wanted to see him happy in person and possibly if seeing him happy next to Hye Ri might finally allow her to let him go once and for all. 

When Gina reached the building, she ran toward the back to the garbage bin. As she turned the corner, she realizes that the box was gone.