Can I Trust You?

The Marriage Spell

 

 

 

The week after their meeting in the cafe, Youngbae’s parents had come to Seoul to discuss about their imminent wedding together with Bom’s parents.

 

 

 

 

Unlike them both, their parents seemed like they are really happy about the situation and are taking it easily. They said it was destiny that they both ended up taking the same path and the coming of their baby is something to be excited about.

 

 

 

 

Both parties agreed that wedding will be held in a simple manner. Their parents originally wanted to hold a big wedding but Bom opposed because she didn’t want the idea. In the end, a civil wedding will take place in the study room of the Parks two weeks from now.

 

 

 

--

 

When Youngbae finally had the chance to be alone with Bom, he decided to talk things out with her.

 

 

 

 

 

“Don’t you want a church wedding? A big one?” he asked. Youngbae was holding a glass of wine in his hands while he sat beside her on the hammock at the lanai.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom looked at him and sighed. “There's really no need, Bae. We’re going to divorce eventually. What we need  is  a marriage contract for my child to have your name.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Our child” he corrected. “Anyway, you have a point. Why waste lots of money in a loveless marriage, right?” he retorted then Bom saw his forehead creased.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She knows Youngbae, he’s like that when he’s totally annoyed. Brows connected, forehead creasing. 

 

 

 

 

“You should just reserve your grand wedding for the girl you’ll really love until the end of time.”

 

 

 

 

 

He sighed. “You? Have you told Seung hyun about this?”

 

 

 

 

 

Bom's hands crept up to clutch her heart. It still pains her whenever she hears his name. But strange as it may seem, the pain she's feeling towards her failed relationship is not that strong no more. Maybe its because it already registered in her mind that she’s getting married two weeks from now and she’s having her own baby. Honestly speaking, at first it won't sink in to her that she’s carrying a baby inside her womb but now, its as if she want to see the baby and hold him in her arms. She’s really excited and happy at the same time for her baby to come out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And as for Seung hyun, he still calls and looks for her in their house but she decided avoid him. He's not worth it anymore and she has moved one. She realized that it’s too late for him to regret everything now because she’ll be mother and a wife soon. 

 

 

 

 

 

But there were times the thought of her giving him another chance would've change things right now and her and Youngbae wouldn't have to go all through this. Then Bom will immediately dismiss at that thought and accept how things ended up right now. Maybe it was only right to break-up with him because with all of the people who gave her so much warnings about that jerk being a playboy and unfaithful, she still believed to none of them and in the end she didn’t know that she’ll be the one to catch him doing his dirty deeds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah…Earth calling to Bom?” Youngbae said, calling out to her. “Does he know you’re getting married?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“W-we don’t have any communication at all." Bom answered, bringing herself out of reverie. "I broke up with him the very same day I found out that he's cheating on me.”

 

 

 

 

“Really? None at all? I mean, I thought he’s the son of the owner of the publication you are working for?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I just resigned last month.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, that’s good to hear” he said, nodding as he looked away from her. “By the way, where are we going to live after our wedding?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She was taken a back by his question. That thought never crossed her mind at all. And…what? would they live together as husband and wife? “I-I thought we talked about us getting married only in papers?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Only the two of us really knew about that. You think our parents will like our preferred of set-up? I don’t think so, Bom.” And he landed his gaze back to her.

 

 

 

 

 

“It is not their lives to think about, Bae. This is mine…ours. We are getting married for the sake of the baby. When the child has reached a certain age when he would understand about us,  we would eventually tell him/her about our set-up.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You really have a modern perspective on life, eh? But didn’t you hear about what your father had said earlier?”

 

 

 

 

 

“What did he say?”

 

 

 

 

 

“That our start was a big mistake, but who knows we might actually end up better.”

 

 

 

 

 

“He really said that?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“He did. And he suggested that you should live at the farm after marriage for you to have a good atmosphere while going through pregnancy. The air is fresh and the foods are much healthier back in the farm than here. I think that it would be better for your condition.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I-I will be living in your farm? For real?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Of course. You’re my wife, Park Bom. It'll be a hassle for the both of us if you’re here and I’m there, right? I'm asking you but really, as for me, I think you should live with me in the farm. I want to watch your tummy get big.” Youngbae smiled and stared down on her stomach. Bom blushed at his sudden actions. She thought that she was the only want excited for the baby.

 

 

 

 

 

She cleared and looked away from him. “I-I..didn’t hear them say that..”

 

 

 

 

 

“I think you got out of the room when they said that.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Eh?...how about….”

 

 

 

 

 

“About what?”

 

 

 

 

 

“We can’t stay in one room.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Why not?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

She felt her cheeks burn at his sudden burst of words. The thought of the night they shared suddenly flooded her mind. She quickly dismissed them and shook her head. “Why not? Let me tell you, it is because Bae, this marriage is not real.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I know about that, Bom. There's really no need for you to say it over and over again." Youngbae chuckled and the shade on her cheeks became more vivid. "And I’m pretty sure we will not get ourselves drunk again.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She exhaled and closed her eyes, trying to calm her nerves and the hard poundings of her heart. Wait, what? Why is her pounding so hard.

 

 

 

“Yah, Park Bom!" Youngbae called out to her once again when he saw her shaking her head by herself. He smiled and looked away from her. "...I know we agreed to marry each other...then shouldn't we might as well make our parents believe that we are husband and wife in all aspects.”

 

 

 

 

“But then can I trust you?” Bom suddenly asked to him.

 

 

 

 

 

“Just don’t get drunk again, Miss Park Bom.” He joked as he flashed his gentle bright smile at her.

 

 

 

 

 

She was ready to slap his arms when he caught her hands and suddenly held them with his own. She was caught off guard. She felt like thousands of fire balls are burning her entire body. She shook her head and removed her hands from his gentle grip. 

 

 

 

 

They fell silent with just what happened and things felt awkward all of a sudden.

 

 

 

 

“I-I’ll just go to the kitchen. I suddenly felt thirsty.” Bom said then hastily stood up.

 

 

 

 

He just nodded his head as his gaze followed her out of the room. Youngbae smiled to himself then look up to the sky.