A Marriage of Convenience

The Marriage Spell

 

 

 

Youngbae came back to his farm after a few weeks of staying in Seoul. He quickly went and talked to his best buddy, Jiyong. He told him about the upcoming biggest event in his life: MARRIAGE. A marriage of convenience with her best friend. They were in the bar in his mansion that time when admitted to Jiyong what really happened between him and Bom that led them in their soon-to-be wedding.

 

 

 

 

 

“That’s great, dude. I knew that Bom have caught your heart from the first time you’ve met her.” said Jiyong. “I still remember that time back then when they moved out here and went to Seoul. Dude, you got yourself so drunk and everytime you have the chance, you go to Seoul just to see and visit her.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Youngbae laughed hard. He really can’t keep things from his best friend. His laugh faded and was replaced with a tinge of sadness in his voice as he speak. “The problem is, she doesn’t feel the same way towards me. Hell, she doesn’t even find me remotely attractive. She fancies guys that are tall, bad-boy type and jerk-looking. While me, I’m just a simple farm guy who doesn't want the life on the fast lane.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“But you are the one who’s going to marry her and you are going to have a child with her. ”

 

 

 

 

 

“Our marriage is only in papers, Jiyong. A marriage of convenience” Youngbae said then sighed heavily.

 

 

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Our agreement is clear. We’ll divorce when the right time comes.” he told Jiyong, frowning. A surge of pain washed over him again as Bom's words repeated inside his head. He can't say no for he loves Bom too much to hurt her any more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah, Youngbae. You tell me honestly. You knew what happened that night, right?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He nodded slowly. “I…I wasn’t too drunk that night. I was aware of what happened and I didn’t regret a single thing. I know I may sound corny, but I’ll treasure that night forever.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong laughed. “You really do love her, dude. Madly and deeply in love with Park Bom.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I do love her with all my heart. All this time, she was the only one who occupies my heart. There was never anyone but her.” He told him. The face of Bom flashed in his mind. The face of his soon-to-be wife that will never love him back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So why didn’t you pursue her before?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t want to ruin our friendship. I was scared that if she knew about my feelings, she’ll completely drift away from me. I’m contented just by being her bestfriend that  she can run to and cry on whenever she has problems. The girl who smiles at me whenever she feels happy. Those simple things were a torture for me but they make me happy. She makes me happy.”

 

 

 

 

 

“You're not just her friend anymore. You will be his husband soon and she will be your wife. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yeah, but only in papers. Only in papers.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah! Just think of it this way. Now you have all the chances in the world to make the girl you love for so long to make her love you back.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Youngbae looked at him. He’s damn right; he’ll do everything to get Bom’s heart or better yet, his wife’s heart. A courtship after marriage? Doesn't sound that bad.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------

 

 

 

 

A simple wedding ceremony was held in the Park’s study room one afternoon. After that, a banquet of food is waiting for them which were especially made by Mrs. Park.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They invited only few people just like what Bom wanted. The only ones who stand as their witnesses were the judge who is also their godfather, Jiyong and Bom's nanny.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom was wearing a straight-cut ecru dress which falls just below her knees. She holds a bouquet of mixed white and red roses which was given to her by her mother. She looked simple yet divine. She's a stunner, a natural beauty.

 

 

 

 

 

When the ceremony was starting, she can’t stop her heart from beating erratically. Maybe this I what every girls feel when they are getting married. The day Youngbae and his parents came to Seoul until the day of her wedding, peace never crossed her mind for even just a single time. Bom was thinking about her new life with groom, Youngbae, and how long they would stay together.

 

 

 

A thought brushed her mind in which she quickly dismissed. What if they'll learn to love each eventually other just like those in the movies and novels? Would it happen?

 

 

 

 

 

 

After a while, the judge told them the ceremony was over. “You may now kiss your bride.” the judge said announcing the final act to seal the deal.

 

 

 

 

 

Bom looked at him. Her heart stopped beating when he slowly leaned his face closer to hers for a kiss. She quickly tilted her head to the side when he was about to kiss her on the lips and intead his lips landed in her cheeks just close to her lips. She felt her cheeks getting warm as she looked away.

 

 

 

 

 

Every one in the room clapped their hands in glee for the newly- weds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

She felt awkward when his body touches hers. And she can’t help to stare at him when he was talking to Jiyong. In all fairness, he was really handsome in his black wool pants, white long-sleeve polo topped with gray silk vest. She can’t believe it, but she actually finds herself adoring his looks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the table, she was sitting beside her new husband. Every one is so happy, even her husband is laughing along with everyone while she was silently eating. Bom thinks that the happiest persons in this room were not them but her parents and her…haraboji.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So Bom, I guess you have to start living with us from now on. “ Mr. Dong said.

 

 

 

 

Mr. Park nodded his head. “Of course, but be sure to take care of my little princess.”

 

 

 

 

 

Her grandfather smiled. “I’ll be visiting you there, sweetheart.”

 

 

 

 

Bom can’t help but to let out a small smile. She made her family happy. Maybe that was the reason why this marriage felt more comfortable and acceptable than before. It doesn’t feel suffocating to her anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom tried to tell herslef that it’s the only reason that she feels quite comfortable with her marriage withh Youngbae and ignore a part of heart that keeps on telling her that there is this one more reason other than the lie she has been feeding herself.