That Fateful Night

The Marriage Spell

 

 

Bom could still remember that she had call Young Bae and told what happened between her and Seung hyun. She was crying her eyes out  when the whole scandalous scenario inside the pad of her jerk of an ex-boyfriend kept on replaying in her mind.  She knew instantly that he was hiding something and someone in his room when he opened up the door for her. He was only clothed with a towel and his face grew pale white like a paper when he saw her.

 

 

 

 

 

She broke up with him instantly but Seung hyun kept on bugging her and asking her for forgiveness. But her heart went numb and got broken enough to give him another chance.

 

 

“Maybe you should have a vacation here to calm yourself down and give yourself some time  to forget about that .” said Young Bae on the other line.

 

 

 

“But what about my work?” Bom was the editor-in-chief of Style, a famous fashion magazine in South Korea, which is owned by Seunghyun's family. She wants to resign since the very thought of Style owned by her ex-boyfriend makes her want puke.

 

 

 

“What’s the use of internet and cellphone?”

 

 

 

"Hmmm..." She thought. “Well, maybe a one week vacation won’t hurt. Plus, I want to easily forget everything about that Seung hyun. So when I come back, I’ll resign from his company and get a new job.” Her heart hurt a little upon remembering what Seunghyun did to her and to their relationship.

 

 

After their conversation, Bom told her parents that she’ll be going away for a week then went to her room and pack up her things.

 

 

The next day,  before she knew it  she was already in Young Bae’s farm. She was a bit sad to know that his parents are on a business trip and she won't have a chance to see them after a long time.

 

--

 

 

She poured out all of her problems to him and to the alcohol. From few to many, Bom kept asking Youngbae to get her a bottle of soju.  As her bestfriend and only confidant as of the moment, Youngbae complied to her requests. Bom then got herself drunk eventually.

 

 

 

"Come on, stop it. You’re drunk.” He said and got the glass full of soju from her hands, making Bom frown.

 

 

 

She grabbed it again and drank everything in one gulp. “J-just let m-me be, Young B-bae. I just want to forget that and everything that he did to me!” Bom was about to pour herself another shot but Youngbae stopped her immediately.  She was not used to drinking alcohol, hell, she was never a drunkard.

 

 

 

Young Bae stared at her in sympathy. “You kept on looking for someone who doesn't deserve you, then in the end they just hurt you and you end up in misery all over again.” He said.

 

 

 

“I wa-was faithful to h-h-him. How could he do that to me?!” She leaned on the couch. “M-maybe it’s because I’m cold. In our two years of relationship, he didn’t even get to second base with me. Oh, God! I think it was my fault! I’m so disappointed with myself. I should have just made it with him. Then maybe he didn’t have to turn to other woman instead.”

 

 

Bom saw Youngbae’s jaw tighten despite of her hazy vision. He seemed annoyed to her. “You shouldn’t waste your time and tears to those kind of jerks. It’s not right to give yourself  just to prove  that you really love that person.”

 

 

Bom bit her lips. “Hmph! Yeah, right. Don't talk smart Youngbae, men will always be men. Maybe you’re just like them.”

 

 

 

“I am not, Park Bom.” He is now looking intently at her. His stares are as if burning holes in her face.

 

 

 

“Whatever!” She wiped the tears that fell from her eyes and started pouring another shot of soju in her glass. “L-let’s just drink, okay. Get more soju, Bae. ”

 

 

 

"We've already drank more than we should've, Bom. That’s enough. Or you’ll totally pass out.”

 

 

 

 

“I’m not yet drunk. Come on, enjoy the night with me. I just want to get it all out of my system tonight. I promise, when I get back to Seoul, I’ll have a new life. New lifestyle, new job and maybe a new boyfriend to get back at that jerk.” Even though Bom was drunk, she was sure and aware of what she was saying. Seunghyun will regret cheating on her and making her feel like . She’ll take the advice of YoungBae. She would find another man and be happy.

 

 

 

Young Bae held her hand and guided her to stand up. “Come on, I’ll get you to your room. You should get some rest.”

 

 

 

Bom held Youngbae in support, but the alcohol finally took effect on him the same time they stood up. His vision blurred and his head felt dizzy, making them both stumble down on the couch.

 

 

Then the last thing she could remember was Youngbae carrying her in his arms before everything started to turn black.

 

--

 

Bom woke up the next morning with a heavy head and a churn in her stomach. She massaged her head, hoping the pain will subside. After a moment, Bom felt something different not with just herself but at the whole situation. She tried to move her legs but an unfamilar pain between her thighs struck her. Shock instantly awakened her whole system.

 

 

She moved her head to the side then covered to stop herself from screaming. Her eyes widened as everything registered into her.

 

 

 

Young Bae is sleeping beside her. as the day he was born. The only thing that was covered by the white blanket they are sharing  was his manly glory. Bom took a deep breath and look down at her own state. She is ... with a man beside her.

 

 

 

Gosh! This is not real! She was only dreaming. She slapped and pinched herself to prove things were not true. But when she felt the pain from her pinch and slap together with the excrutiating pain between her thighs, she knew these were all real. 

 

 

 

“How dare you! How dare you! I hate you!” she shouted.

 

 

 

She yelled louder and louder, tears threatened to fall from her eyes . She felt so ashamed of herself for what had happened. She didn’t know what to think, what to say and what to do. 

 

 

 

 

Youngbae finally woke up when he heard Bom screaming. He looked at her and found her red and incredibly mad. “B-Bom…”

 

 

 

 

Bom didn't say a word and instead showered him with angry slaps in every part of his body. “Damn you! What did you do to me? What? Why?!”

 

 

“I-I don’t know. I…I was drunk…we were drunk.”

 

 

 

Her face fell on her palms and tears she held finally rolled down her cheeks, wetting her crimson colored face. “My God, what have I done?”

 

 

 

Young Bae held her palm. “Bom-ah...we can talk about this. Come on, Bom.”

 

 

 

She hastily removed Youngbae’s hands and pulled the blanket up to her chin to cover her body. “Just leave me alone, Bae! I don’t want to see you. Oh god, I hate you!”

 

 

 

“Bom, I’m sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn’t know what came over me last night.”

 

 

 

“You’re the sober one, Youngbae. You…should've not let this all happen.” She cried harder.

 

 

 

“Y-you initiated it, Bom…”

 

 

 

 

“What?”

 

 

 

“You were murmuring that you should have your revenge on Seung hyun—”

 

 

 

“See? You knew what was happening yet you took advantaged of me. I hate you! I thought we were friends, Bae!”

 

 

 

 

His face was pleading. “I-I’m ready to take responsibility of what had happened if that’s what you want.”

 

 

 

Her eyes grew big. “No way! No!”

 

 

 

 “Bom…” he tried to calm her, trying to explain what just happened to them.

 

 

 

 

 

She turned her back on him as the tears rolled down her eyes endlessly. “Go away! Just go, Bae!”

 

 

She didn’t  dare look up to him when he was picking up his clothes until he walked out of the room. She was left there, crying. She hated herself so much. She can't belive that she gave herself up…her ity to own bestfriend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In that very day, she went back to Seoul. She promised herself that she would never ever face Young Bae again. But Youngbae tried to call her everyday, hoping she would pick up her phone and talk to him. She even replaced her number, so he won't reach her.

 

 

 

She wanted to forget about what had happened, but the memories kept flooding inside her mind. It annoys her every time Bae’s face would appear in her mind, his face with those warm smiles. And it seemed like destiny was playing and ganging up on her, she missed her last period. The day she took the pregnacy test was the day she knew she was pregnant.

 

 

 

It felt like heaven and earth came crushing down on her. Their mistake will bear a child. They were friends, but that was just it, he was never more than that to her.

 

 

She took all of her courage and faced the consequences. She told everything to her parents, but what she didn’t know that telling them would only make her problem a lot bigger. If she only knew that this would happen, she wouldn’t tell them who the father of her baby is.

 

 

 

But what if she’ll tell him about the child, would he take the responsibility?

 

 

 

She could just fly abroad then raise her child there, but how could she do that when her parents knew her situation right now. She never realized her being honest would lead her to a bigger trouble.

 

 

 

Of course, even though she’s a modern woman she still values her ity and her culture, but now she can do nothing about it now. She should find a man who’ll love her despite everything she’s been going through.

 

 

 

She thought that this was her consolation; she was not the only woman going through this hell of situation.

 

 

 

 

The thought of Young Bae being her first, still can't register in her mind. She never ever thought of that. Not even in her wildest dreams.