I Can't Marry Him

The Marriage Spell

 

 

 

 

“You are going to marry Young Bae!” her father's words penetrated inside her ears.

 

 

 

 

“No!” she retorted back. All eyes seemed to pity her now and her mother, her only ally, just can’t do anything about it at the moment. “I will not marry someone  whom I don't love.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Damn! You’re pregnant, Bom. Do you really want to cause shame in this family? I am not giving you a choice. You’ll gonna marry Young Bae and that’s an order.”

 

 

 

She glanced at her mother before looking at his grandfather then she shifted her attention back to his father. His father is really serious about it, and the thought of it makes her want to cry.

 

 

 

“F-father, it’s not my fault that I got pregnant. I never wanted this and I know Young Bae doesn’t want this either.”

 

 

 

His father stood up from the swivel chair. “I don’t care if this was an accident or not. I want the both of you to get married. And that’s final!” his father shouted with his face now red because of anger. Bom knows her father wants to beat her up badly right now, but he just can’t and that’s because of the fact that she’s still his daughter and she's carrying a baby inside of her.

 

 

 

Her mother pressed her hand, reminding that her father has a high blood pressure.

 

 

 

“Bom, your father might have another heart attack...” her mother whispered.

 

 

 

 

Her heart sunk at the thought. But right now, shee thinks more of her grandfather than her father. Her grandfather was operated in the twice in the heart. But as she's  observing his grandpa right now, it seems like he’s calmly accepting the situation.

 

 

 

 

“Appa, please calm down. We can think of a better idea other than marriage. Marrying Young Bae for the sake of the baby is not the right answer. How many times will I tell you that we only got drunk that night? I was so depressed then.” Bom said.

 

 

 

 

“And what are you trying to imply now? Raise your child, my grandchild, as kid born out of mistake?” he waved his hands in the air again. “I will not allow such a thing, Bom. Until the day I die, I will not allow that!”

 

 

 

Bom wants to burst right then and there, she just want all of this to end. “But, Appa, our society is modernized now. It’s fine to raise a child outside marriage. Young Bae would still be the father of my child...but marrying him...is out of my mind right now.”

 

 

 

 

“What is it that you don’t want about Young Bae, huh? You’ve been friends ever since you two were young.”

 

 

 

She took a deep breath. “That was just it. I only see him as friend, not as someone more than that. I can’t see myself getting married to him.”

 

 

 

 

Her father pulled her arm all of sudden, making Bom surprised. “You brat! Don’t you dare consume all my patience. I know you’re of age already but I don’t give a damn. Obey me or else, forget that you even have a father.” He then let go of her arm and marched angrily out of the room. Her mother gave her an apologetic look then  followed his father out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom and her grandfather were the only ones left in the room. “Haraboji…” her spoke, her voice was pleading. Bom knows that her grandfather understands her better than anyone else in the world.

 

 

 

Her grandfather stood up and sat beside her then held her hands. “I’ve already heard the whole story. I’m not blaming you for what you did. Bom, sometimes there are things in life that happen when people least expect them. Take me for example, I lost my business, but in return my life was saved, right? Another thing, your father’s life became more comfortable when we moved here in Seoul. Your father doesn’t like farming so he gave up our farm to build his own business and to bring me to America to have a better medical treatment."

 

 

 

 

Bom closed her eyes and listened carefully to her Haraboji.

 

 

 

“Things happen in God’s own will. You’re having a child, Bom. Even if this child is born out of mistake, that is not important anymore. Having a child is a gift from God, that’s what you should set in your mind. Do you know how much happiness I’ve felt when you were born? I want you to be always on my sight. I always wanted to see you being cared and loved by your mother and father.”

 

 

 

"I will take care of my child, Haraboji." she  told her grandfather in assurance.

 

 

 

Her grandfather squeezed her hand. “I know you will.”

 

 

 

“That’s why, there’s really no need for me and Youngbae to get married.”

 

 

 

“I understand your father, Bom. He only wants your child to have a complete family.

 

 

 

“But Haraboji…”

 

 

 

His grandfather’s grip tighten around her hands. “Do you love your Haraboji, Bom?”

 

 

 

She swallowed hard. Bom knows where that question and this conversation will end up. “O-of course, Haraboji.”

 

 

 

“I want you to follow your Dad’s order.”

 

 

 

“Haraboji!”
 

 

 

“You’ll see, when you and Youngbae got married, you’ll gradually learn how to love each other...and not as friends.”

 

 

 

“W-what if that won’t happen to us? What about our friendship?”

 

 

 

“For now, just obey your father. And being your grandfather who’s just waiting for his time, I don’t want you to raise this child alone. I want your child to have a name and a family. I know it’s against your will, but I’m begging you to follow us, Bom. I know this would be too much, but if you two will learn to love each other someday, I’ll die happily.”

 

 

 

 

“Haraboji…”

 

 

 

 

 

“We only want what’s best for you and your child.”

 

 

 

 

She really wants to cry right now. It felt like daggers are stabbing her heart right now at the thought of her haraboji. He never asked for a favor before, but he just gladly gave her everything she wants to make her happy.  Now, her grandfather was the one pleading her to marry Young Bae, how could she just ignore it?

 

 

Damn! Marrying Young Bae would mean the end of her happiness. Plus the fact that he’s not her type of man to marry. She’s attracted to tall, dark, beastly and bad boy type of guy and Young Bae isn't just now where near like that.. He’s the gentle kind of guy and he's just too good for her type.

 

 

She still remembered that night that started all of this mess.

 

 

 

Her mind was not in its right condition. She had no one to turn to. She just learned about her boyfriend’s unfaithfulness to her. He saw Seunghyun with another girl in his condominium. And what’s worse is, the girl was her friend.

 

 

 

She considered Young Bae to be her closest male friend after Seunghyun. Maybe it’s because when they were still kids their farms are just close to one another. Young Bae treated her like a sister and she treated him as an older brother. Not until Bom’s father decided to sell their farm to Young Bae’s father to pay for his grandfather’s medical assistance in America.

 

 

 

When her grandfather got well, his father put up a business in Seoul and thank God, it grew from nothing to big.

 

 

 

Even though they got separated because she moved in Seoul and he stayed in their farm, she always comes back there and stays in Young Bae’s place when she’s on vacation. She was treated like a part of their family. Their closeness to each other hasn’t changed a bit. And when Young Bae visits Seoul, they always make him stay in their mansion instead of making him stay in a hotel. Things between them are just too comfortable like that.

 

 

 

For her, getting pregnant by her bestfriend was a big mistake. Everything that happened was not her choice.