First Impressions Don't Last

Coffee Stains and Princes

I stood in front of the mirror observing the lie that stared back at me.

Chestnut brown hair with soft curls on the end hanging an inch below my shoulder, eyes designed with the latest eye make-up trend, lips covered up in gloss and cheeks lightly made pink with expensive blush.

Tucking a hair behind my ear and running my hands through my pleated uniform skirt, I heave out a sigh of despair. I hated this. I hated getting up extra early to have people mess with my face at sunrise. But what can I do? This is school standard, or rather, student body standard.

When Mr. Jung and his wife decided to put up a school for the elites, they did it to preserve the privacy of the children of high ranking families. They’ve noticed that tycoons’, celebrities’, politicians’ children are being deprived of the experience of being in school because they are locked up in their houses being ‘home schooled’ due to the fear of public dangers and they thought that this shouldn’t be, so they made a school to give quality education and school experience. But as years passed, that humble gesture was slowly being forgotten and most of the students were just spoiled rich kids who came to school with designer accessories and bratty attitudes.

I walked down to the dining area for breakfast only to see my parents and older sister busy tapping away on their gadgets.

Shin Yejin, eldest daughter, model.

Oh yes, Yejin-unnie the girl who forced me into all this mumbo-jumbo on my face. She told me that she doesn’t want her natural beauty questioned because of a dreary looking sister.

Unfortunately, there’s only the two of us and we’re both girls. That’s basically why whenever Kim Jaejoong comes over, he’s very welcome, especially with my parents. They’ve always wanted a son but fate just didn’t bless them with it.

I took a seat right beside Yejin-unnie and my mom handed me a glass of orange juice. I quickly ate my breakfast.

My dad put down his newspaper and turned to me, “careful there kiddo, it’s only 7:15 school doesn’t start in an hour.”

Pulling my drink over my mouth, I hurriedly left the table. Giving kisses to my parents’ cheeks and a poke at my sister, “I have to be there early today.”

No I didn’t.

I asked the driver to stop a block away from school. He doesn’t question why because he knows how much I like walking down the street, autumn air blowing through my hair and watching kids from other schools walk together towards theirs.

I let out a good morning to the security guard which he returns with a sweet smile.

Star High

Yup. That’s my High School.

“JinAhhhhhh!!!! New student! New student!” that high pitched voice I can recognize anywhere. It was my seatmate Kim EunMi. She’s a nice girl, inheritor of a stuffed toy factory, which is quite appropriate with her sweet and innocent personality.

She held both my shoulders and shook me like there’s no tomorrow. “He’s so good looking! Ahhh so much like a prince!” she continues to babble.

“Prince? Are you sure? You say that about almost every guy you meet here in school.” I rolled my eyes at her.

She crossed her arms in front of her chest and pouted, “not every guy” she said “just the 4 princes of this school!”

“Oh no… you’re not talking about-“

“Yes! Park Yoochun! Kim Jaejoong! Kim Junsu! And Jung Yunho!” she excitedly squealed as she leaned on my locker.

With one hand I pushed her aside before opening my locker door.

“Please, there is nothing special about those four boys.”

“To you, maybe, coz you’re their princess. But to me~” she let out a dreamy sigh as she adjusted her hipster glasses and lightly scratched her heavy bangs. “I’m quite thankful that you’re my friend, actually...”

She continued to talk about her four princes but I could barely hear it when my attention got caught by a guy being reflected through my mirror.

“Huh?” I looked around and didn’t even catch a glimpse of him. I rubbed my eyes, I was probably just imagining things.

He hasn’t been to the shop for a week now.

EunMi grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the classroom, “Y’know it’s kind of weird that I don’t see you outside school. Like, after classes you magically disappear somewhere with Jaejoong-sshi.”

I sit on my desk and hang my backpack behind my chair, “I accompany him at Constellation.”

She sat on her place and rested her chin on her hand, “But I don’t see you there,” she said “I go there every Friday”

“I’m at the office.”

Lie.

I make sure I erase the make-up on my face before I work. The make-up artists have done quite well to hide how truly plain I look without that mask they put on me.

“The teacher’s here!” yelled one of our classmates and everyone properly sits on their assigned places waiting for the teacher to enter.

“Good morning Park Jun Jin-seongsaenim” the students say in unison.

He waves his hand to us.

“I would like you to welcome a new student. Changmin-sshi.” Mr. Park motioned for someone to enter the classroom.

And there it was.

That familiar face I’ve been waiting for at 5pm the whole week.

I felt a poke at my shoulder, “JinAh! That’s who I was talking about! Prince Charming!!! Oh. Prince Changmin!!!” Eun Mi said in hushed tones.

My eyes never left the figure standing in front of the classroom.

He’s here. He’s really here.

I felt my heart beat faster as our teacher speaks in front. I can’t even tell what he’s talking about because I can hear the pounding of my heart in my ears and I believe I might just die of a heart attack right there and then.

“Ah! Go sit beside Miss Shin.”

My eyes went wide. I just heard my name. Wait, what?

He’s going to sit beside me? Seriously?

I watched Changmin-sshi walk towards his seat, still very much like the guy who sits at the table near the window at Constellation.

“Hi I’m-“I heard EunMi say to him but before she could even finish her introduction-

“I don’t care” he said. His voice cold and really not giving a flying duck.

And every little perfect description I assumed of him just flew out the window.

 “Look she’s trying to be nice” I breathed out.

Thunder sounded. Oh how convenient.

“I’m not.” He glared at me.

I hate him.

-----------------------

The classes went on as usual but something about Changmin-sshi is getting on my nerves.

When the most words we exchanged were “Good afternoon, welcome to Constellation, what would you be having sir?” “One Caramel Macchiato” and some dessert, he was close to perfect and his presence just makes me feel so warm and fuzzy but now… now that’s he’s barely a meter away. I just want to knock his head off.

What exactly is with this boy?

The school bell rings signaling lunch time and we head out to the rooftop where we usually have our meal.

“Hello sunbaenim” EunMi politely bowed as we climbed up the stairs to the rooftop.

As expected the son of the owner of the school, Jung Yunho was there, then follows the three others Junsu, Yoochun and my childhood annoyance Jaejoong.

Jae, Chun and Yun are in their Senior year, Junsu was in his Junior year, but to me, age doesn’t matter at all when it came to them.

“We can’t sit outside. It’s raining.” Junsu pouted, seating on one of the steps.

“Yah! Why aren’t you as polite as your friend?” Jaejoong pointed out as he moved to give me space to sit on the staircase.

“I have to be polite to a guy who calls me ‘Yah!’? Are you kidding me?” I sat at the space he left and grabbed his chopsticks.

EunMi shyly sat beside Junsu and took out her lunchbox.

Jaejoong took his chopsticks back, “You’re quite feisty today… red week?” he said.

“The new student pissed her off.” EunMi innocently intervened.

I gritted my teeth and stared at my friend, “Really, EunMi? Really?” I let out a breath, “he’s so rude!”

“No he wasn’t. He was so cool and mysterious.” EunMi dreamily stated.

“What?! He answered back to you and you think he’s-“

Yunho sat between us, “enough. Just don’t mind that boy if he pisses you off so much.”

“Changmin-ah! Over here!” I heard Yoochun say as he peaked down the staircase.

Oh this isn’t a good day at all.

 


 

 

Oh-ho-ho he's not very wonderful~

hahah so... what do you think?

Thanks for reading^^