Confused

Coffee Stains and Princes

 

Autumn was always the time when our school conducted the annual fieldtrip. Usually we’d be visiting a hotel in a local tourist spot or some retreat place in the mountains still reachable by phone signal and internet connection.

“This year’s trip is going to be different” said Mr. Park before reading over the details of the trip.

As he spoke of the activities, my classmates, especially the girls, gasped and eww-ed at the things listed.

DIFFERENT was definitely an understatement.

After discussing the things regarding the trip, Mr. Park dismissed us.

“Us… in a remote city living as normal citizens… Really? No, internet, no phone signal, how are the rest of us gonna live?” Eunmi complained as we walked out the classroom.

I shoved the paper in my bag, “I look forward to it.”

“Oppa, oppa!”

There it goes again that falsetto tone.

I turned around and saw Changmin right behind me.

“Oh Changmin-sshi.” I breathed out.

He lifted a side of his lips for a smile before turning around and heading towards the girl calling him.

“Hwang. Mi. Young. Oh she’s been eyeing the princes for a long time. Yunho-sunbaenim the most. Has she moved on to Changmin-sshi?” Eunmi mumbled to me.

I felt a burn in my stomach as I watched them interact, I can’t explain why but my hands were itching to push Miyoung away.

She held her notebook towards Changmin, pointing out stuff. He explains something to her, she nods and giggles then tucks her hair behind her ear.

“I don’t know. Let’s go.” I told Eunmi as I turned around and walked away.

What was that feeling?

Eunmi caught up with me, “Are you heading to Constellation today?” she asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. Jae should be here by now.

Taking my phone out, I expected a message from the man but instead, I got one from the head maid of the house.

 

Ahjumeoni

JinAh-sshi, there was a call from your school. I think it will be best if you come home immediately after your detention time. We need to have a talk.

 

I let out a sigh.

This woman has acted like a mother to me since mom went back into show business, which basically was when I turned 5. She was like a substitute parent, for I only see my parents in the morning during breakfast or sometimes I don’t even see them at all.

“News got to the chief. I’m in trouble…” I uttered, laying a hand on Eunmi’s shoulder.

She shook her head, “good luck with that” she said, “at least you’re in good terms with Changmin-sshi, now. After all the trouble he went through for you.”

My hand dropped to my sides and I arched an eyebrow, “What trouble? If it weren’t for him I wouldn’t be in trouble with the chief. He even got us detention for a week!”

“All for you… well I gotta go now. We have a family dinner with some Japanese toy company. Bye!” she bid as she ran towards the gate and entered the car.

“What?”

Now, this is totally confusing. What did Eunmi mean?

I turned around, I had to go back to the guidance office for detention.

“JinAh-sshi…”

There he was standing in the corridor, looking like the prince I’ve always liked seeing at Constellation Café.

“Yup detention, I know.” My voice came out a little colder than I intended.

He tailed me quietly, which is a bit awkward since we were kind of getting along after he apologized.

We sat in our respective seats inside the office, neither one making a sound.

“Lovers’ Quarrel I see…” Ms. Hong commented as she entered the room, “I can feel the tension, keep it down guys.”

She’s never going to let this die, is she?

I opened my mouth to speak but Changmin interrupted me.

“Ms. Hong, Shin JinAh and I are not together and I suggest you stop implying it because it’s not happening.” His voice was monotonous yet very intimidating.

Something in my chest burned as he spoke those words though it’s definitely true.

“He’s right.” I added.

Ms. Hong crossed her arms and stared at both of us for a moment before taking her seat behind the desk.

“Just 3 more days of your 2 hours detention and you’re off the hook.” She mumbled as she arranged her things and started on some paperwork.

The silence was torture. I could feel so much things that just needed to be asked out loud. I wanted to ask Eunmi what she meant, tell Ms. Hong that her pen is making a really annoying noise tapping on the paper, and ask Changmin why we’re never going to happen.

Wait.

No.

Scratch the last question.

I’m going cra-

A loud beep filled the room and we all looked at the ringing device.

Ms. Hong slid her finger over the screen and the noise died down.

“We’re done for today, see you two tomorrow.” She said, gesturing us to leave.

Before we could reach the door, it opened, revealing the man I was waiting for earlier.

As if reflex, I wrapped my arms around Jaejoong and pushed him out the hallway.

I dug my face in his chest. His scent has always been comforting.

“Yah, you missed me that much?” he airily spoke while patting the top of my head.

------

“Did anything happen during detention?”

I continued to watch the scenery move opposite the car’s direction.

Jaejoong wrapped his hand around mine. I looked at him, gave him a faint smile and shook my head then moved my attention back to the window.

“Before that?” he squeezed my hand.

I shook my head again. No matter how much he asked, I can’t answer. I don’t know how to answer because I don’t why I’m acting like this all of a sudden.

We entered the gates and the car slowed to a stop in front of the mansion.

“You know you can tell me anything. Just call me, okay?” Jaejoong said as he released my hand and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

I needed someone to talk to, but how can I do that when I didn’t know what to say.

I got off the car and saw that Chief Ahjummeoni was already outside waiting for me.


 

The Changmin, The Jaejoong and The JinAh...

I'm so sorry, I'll try to update more often.

Thank you to the new readers and subscribers.

Thank you to the old ones too~