Chapter 1 - Greetings

My Cotton Candy Boy

 

               The sun slowly rose in the sky as the birds began their morning calls. A digital radio clock that sat on top of the bedside table read 5:58 am. In about 2 minutes, it will face the wrath of an angry, tired high school student. *Tick…tick…tick…tick…tick….BEEEEEEEP!! BEEEEEEP!! BEEEEEP!! BEEEEP!! BEEEEEP!!*

               “GAH, 10 MORE MINUTES,” and with that, the digital clock was thrown across the room, and shattered against the wall. Mumbling a train of incoherent curses, Yeon Ah laboriously pulled herself out of bed to get ready for the first day of her second last year of high school. Downstairs, her mother was preparing breakfast for the family, while her father melodically typed away on his laptop, attempting to finish his report for work. Yeon Ah joins her parents downstairs and groggily greeted them with a grunt.

                “Honey, how many times have we told you to peacefully turn off your alarm instead of destroying it? This is your third one this week! We’ll go bankrupt if you continue to break all the clocks we get you,” Yeon Ah’s dad lectured her.  

                “I don’t like them! If you claim we’ll go bankrupt, why don’t we just stop buying them all together?” Yeon Ah looked at her dad, praying that he would agree to stop buying those annoying little things.

                “Nice try, dear. Now eat your breakfast before it gets cold,” her mother laughed as she placed the steaming plate of food in front of her. Smiling, Yeon Ah ate her food, taking small respites to drink some milk or glance over at her parents.

                “Daddy, how come you always lectured me about doing my homework last at the minute when every day, I see you rush to complete your paperwork?” she ‘innocently’ asked her father, who momentarily looked up from the screen to give her a ‘Merong~’.

                “It’s because I’m your father, and I’ve been able to maintain a stable job. You’re still in high school, so you need to prioritize your time properly. Once you hit 40, only then, will I allow you to procrastinate, okay?” and with that, he closed his laptop, drank the rest of his coffee, kissed his wife good-bye, and walked out the door whistling. Yeon Ah rolled her eyes and finished off her own breakfast before leaving for school.

                “Leona! Don’t forget to take your lunch!” her mother yelled from the kitchen in English. Running into the kitchen, Yeon Ah grabbed her lunch bag. “Thanks Mum! See you tonight!” she kissed her mom on the cheek and ran outside to her motorcycle.

                “Drive safely dear! Or else I’m taking the bike away for the rest of the year!” her mother warned.

                “I know, I know! Bye-bye!” She secured her saxophone case in place, started the bike, put her helmet on, and waved at her mom before driving off. Within 10 minutes, she pulled into the driveway of the high school and searched for a parking spot. The school was already buzzing with activity as first year students frantically searched for their home rooms and toured the school hallways, while returning students reunited with their old friends and talked about their summer break. Grabbing her instrument, Yeon Ah walked towards the school. There was a huge bulletin board with all the students’ homerooms situated by the entrance.

                “Hmm…Let me see…Classroom 3A,” Yeon Ah found her name amongst the massive list before checking her watch for the time. “I’ve still got half an hour before class. I wonder if they’re here yet…” Yeon Ah decided to go to the music room and drop her instrument off, all while searching for her friends. All around her, there were students carrying a variety of instruments, singing random songs, or dancing. Whilst observing her surroundings, Yeon Ah was unexpectedly blindsided by two giggling girls.

                “YEON AH! We missed you!!” Hyo Rin, the tall black haired girl yelled as she tackled Yeon Ah again.

                “Where were you all summer?! We missed hanging out with you!” Hyo Min, the tall red haired girl exclaimed as she picked Yeon Ah up and spun her around in circles.

                “Put me down woman! You didn’t see me all summer because you both were on vacation, that’s why!” Yeon Ah dusted off her jacket before glaring at the tall girl.

                “Sorry, Yeon Ah! I swear we didn’t know about the trip to Japan!” Hyo Rin rubbed her hands apologetically and her older twin sister joined in.

                “Yah, Kim twins, it is okay! As long as you had fun and bought me a gift, then I won’t hold a grudge,” Yeon Ah laughed as she held out her right hand. The twins laughed as they both rummaged through their bags and handed over two small wrapped packages. Since they’ve known her for a long time, they knew that a gift would solve everything. Yeon Ah chuckled, “Thanks girls! I’ll open them when I get home. For now, I need to drop off my sax in the music room before class starts. What homeroom are you guys in? I’m in 3A.”

                “Darn it, we’re both in 3C. That means we’ll only see each other in our arts classes,” the twins sadly informed her.

                “It’s okay! At least now, I can concentrate on my studies and listen in class,” her remark resulted in a double slap on the arm. Laughing, the three linked arms and walked to the music room. All the while, the twins described their summer in Japan. 

 


 

Yay! Here's the first chapter. It's just a boring introduction to the main character and her friends. Hopefully you guys like it >_< I'm quite introverted, so posting chapters to this story is quite nerve-wracking...

Please leave comments, critiques(no bashing TT^TT), and SUBSCRIBE! Thank youuu~~~~