Our First Times

My Cotton Candy Boy

* December 21, 1991. Korea.*

                “You’re almost there m’am! One more push!” the doctor encouraged his patient. Mrs. Lee screamed in pain as the last wave of contractions pulsed through her body. With all her strength, she pushed as hard as she could. Almost immediately, the cries of a baby rang in the delivery room. “Congratulations, m’am! It’s a boy!” the doctor handed the newborn off to the nurse, so that he could be cleaned up. “Brace yourselves, there’s another one coming.”

                “What do you mean there’s another one coming?! What’s going on?!” Mrs. Lee yelled in panic.

                “You are going to have twins, Mrs. Lee. I’ll explain everything to you after. For now, you’re going to have to push!” the doctor informed her. The baby was delivered effortlessly. “Congratulations, it’s a girl!” The two newborns were cleaned and carefully wrapped. The nurses brought them over to Mrs. Lee and placed them in her arms.

                “Wow, I wasn’t expecting you, baby girl, but you’re beautiful,” Mrs. Lee softly the sleeping girl’s cheek.

                “Okay, so here’s what happened. It seems like the second baby was hidden behind the first, so that’s why she didn’t show up in the ultrasound. Also, their heartbeats were so in-sync with each other that it sounded like one. This is a rare case, and we’re really sorry for not being able to catch this.” The doctor bowed low, apologetic for their mistake.

                “It’s okay. As long as they’re healthy and living, I don’t care whether I have two or even four of them,” Mrs. Lee smiled at her babies. Just then, the door slid open and Mr. Chae came rushing in. The doctor bowed out, giving the new parents some privacy.

                “I heard the news. We’ve been blessed!” he wrapped his wife into a soft hug. “Honey, we’ve already registered the boy’s birthday on March 31st haven’t we? Should we do the same with the girl?” he picked up his son and rocked him back and forth.

                “No, I think we should register her birthday on this day. What should we name them?” Mrs. Lee couldn’t take her eyes off of her daughter.

                “Hmm…what should I name you, little buddy? Do you like Joo Chan?” Mr. Chae swayed his son back and forth. The boy yawned and shifted in his arms. “I’ll take as a yes.”

                “What should I name you? How about Yeon Ah? What do you think?” Mrs. Lee softly spoke to her child. The baby suddenly opened her eyes and stared straight at her mother. She blinked a couple of times before nodding off to sleep again. “Haha, you’ve already learnt how to respond to your mommy, huh?” Mr. Chae handed his son back to his wife.

                “I’ll go fill out the paper work. I love you,” he kissed her forehead and left the room.

                “Although I wasn’t expecting two of you, I’m happy you’re in our lives now,” Mrs. Lee kissed both of her babies and drifted off to sleep. And that was their first day as babies.

*October 1996*

                Mr. Chae and Mrs. Lee were watching their kids playing tag on the playground with the other kindergarteners after school. The children were laughing and having the time of their lives, running around, jumping off of things, and swinging themselves from one monkey bar to another. Yeon Ah and Joo Chan were on opposite sides of the playground, trying to keep away from the boy that was “it”. Yeon Ah ran up the jungle gym to the “safe zone”, which was the slide. The boy that was “it” chased after her and was quickly catching up. Joo Chan ran after his sister, but tripped over his untied shoelace and fell down. Mr. Chae sprinted over to his fallen son.

                “Are you okay, Joo Channie? Are you hurt anywhere?”

                “My hand hurts, daddy. It hurts a lot.” Giant droplets of tears began streaming down his cheeks. He looked at his scratched hand and started crying even harder.

                “Hush, hush, daddy’s got you. Let’s go over and sit with your mommy,” Mr. Chae picked up his son and carried him over to the benches. Both parents had their attention on their son, so they didn’t notice what was about to their daughter.

Yeon Ah finally reached the slide and was about to go down when she was pushed aside by another boy that was trying to avoid getting tagged. In an instant, she fell sideways through the opening to the fire pole and down the 10 foot drop. The sound of the impact caught every parent’s attention and they scanned the playground for the source. Mrs. Lee was the first to see her fallen daughter. Speechlessly, she ran over to Yeon Ah, who was limp and unconscious from the fall.

                “Yeon Ah, wake up. Can you hear me? Honey! Call an ambulance, NOW! She’s not responding.” Although it killed her to see her child in that position, she couldn’t move her. She knew that if she moved Yeon Ah in the wrong way, she’ll risk more injury or even paralysis. The ambulance arrived within 10 minutes and the paramedics rushed over to the playground. They safely transferred her onto the stretcher and carried her over to the ambulance. Parents and children silently watched the events unfolding in front of them. They were sympathetic towards the Chae family, but were relieved that it wasn’t their child being carried off. Mr. Chae and his son watched as the ambulance drove off, taking his wife and daughter with them. He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned around.

                “I’m sorry for what happened to your daughter. My son would like to apologize to you for what he did,” the mother pushed her son forward.

                “I’m so sorry, Mr. Chae. *sniffles* I didn’t mean to push her. I was just trying to get to safety … and … I wasn’t thinking when I pushed her *cries* I’m so sorry!” the boy cried and hung his head in shame for causing this while mess.

                “Don’t worry son. It’s not your fault. You were just having fun, so I don’t blame you. Don’t be too hard on yourself! My Yeonnie is a strong girl and before you know it, she’ll be up and running,” Mr. Chae patted the boy’s head in comfort. The mother bowed low and apologized. She picked up her son and dismissed herself. “Come on, Channie. Let’s go meet up with your sister.”

                “Is she going to die, dad? I don’t want her to die! She can’t! I won’t let her!” Joo Chan began throwing a tantrum, rambling about death and his sister.

                “Calm down, son. She’ll be fine. Let’s go to the hospital to see how she is doing. Quickly,” he picked up his son and walked to their car. Miraculously, Yeon Ah was treated for only a broken leg and was excused for a 6 week recovery. And that was their first time getting injured.

*June 1998*

                The Chae family pulled their suitcases through the airport. Today, they will be moving to their brand new life in the States. Mr. Chae  led the way through luggage check and security then settled the four of them down at their terminal.

                “Are you guys excited?” he nudged his kids. They gloomily shook their heads.

                “I don’t want to leave my friends, daddy. I don’t want to leave our house. I don’t want to live in another country. Can we please stay? Please?” Joo Chan whined to his dad. Tears threatened to fall from his wide, scared eyes.

                “I’m sorry, my boy. The company needs me to start up the new location and train everybody. We won’t stay there forever, we’ll come back to Korea for sure,” he hugged Joo Chan who had started crying. An hour passed by before they were allowed to start boarding the plane. Passengers lined up to get their tickets checked. With one hand, Yeon Ah held on to her mother, with the other, she tightly held her ticket. When it was their turn, the lady at the desk crouched down and smiled at Yeon Ah.

                “Hey cutie pie! Can I see your ticket?” Yeon Ah nodded and handed over her boarding pass. The lady scanned it and gave it back. “Have a safe flight! Bye-bye!” The lady waved at Yeon Ah. She stared back at the lady as she walked through the entrance to the passenger walkway and waved back. The family located their seats in first class, which were provided by Mr. Chae’s company. Yeon Ah sat with her brother in the window seat. She looked over at him and knew that he was just as scared as she was.

                “Channie-ah, don’t be sad. Dad says we’ll be coming back, so be happy okay?” she leaned over and pushed up the sides of his mouth. He squirmed away and smiled at her.

                “Thanks Yeonnie! Let’s wait until the day we can come back to Korea,” he held out his hand. Yeon Ah smiled and took his hand. The both of them slept through the whole plane ride, except for when they had to eat. And that was their first plane ride.

*December 2003. California.*

                “Come on, Danny. You messed up in  the exact same spot, again! Do it right!” Yeon Ah snapped at her brother. There was only one week left before the Winter Concert, and at this point, they couldn’t afford to make mistakes. Frustrated, she began to pace and mumble incoherent sentences.

                “Sorry Leona! I can’t help it. You changed this part of the song yesterday and it’s even more complicated than the first time. Give a guy a break,” Daniel defended himself, but he knew very well that she was right.

                “Hey, if you listened to me when we were composing, I wouldn’t have to change it now. I told you it would sound weird with just me playing there without any bass line,” Yeon Ah glared at him. Defeated, he nodded his head and started playing the piece. The twins continued practicing late into the night and finally stopped at 1 am.

-1 week later-

                “It’s my honour to introduce the next act. These two talented musicians are actually twins and they even composed their performance song themselves. Did I tell you, they’re turning 12 soon? I’d like to introduce on vocals and piano, Daniel Chae, and on the alto saxophone, Leona Chae. Give them some love,” the music teacher exited the stage as the twins walked up. They bowed to the audience and took their spots. Daniel started the piece and soon after, Yeon Ah joined in. Daniel sang with all his heart and was fast approaching the part where he messed up. Yeon Ah made eye contact with him and made sure that he was concentrated. They played it perfectly and ended the song. The audience erupted with applause and the twins stood together and bowed in gratitude. And that was their first time the composed and performed their own song.

*July 2005. Korea.*

                Yeon Ah and Daniel graduated from middle school and were on their summer break. Lately, Daniel has been hanging out with his friend and making UCC’s. Apparently, they were a big hit on the internet. He stopped spending time with Yeon Ah, and she felt neglected. They didn’t compose many songs together and were always off doing their own activities. Yeon Ah started up fencing at the beginning of the year and it seemed like it’s the only thing she had now. One day, Daniel came home from his friend’s house and brought in the mail. He flipped through and found a letter addressed to him. He recognized the emblem on the letter and tore it open. Yeon Ah come down from her room and saw her brother as still as a statue.

                “What’s going on? Are you feeling sick?” She waved her hand in front of his face, trying to get his attention. Daniel woke up from his trance and looked at his sister. A smile grew on his face as he whooped and hugged her, jumping up and down and swinging her around in circles. “Put me down, Danny! I’m getting dizzy!”

                “Sorry sis! I’m just really excited!”
                “What for?”

                “Remember how I auditioned for an entertainment company last month?”

                “Yea, so?”

                “I’ve passed their auditions and have been chosen to join an idol group. Yeonnie, I’M GOING TO BE FAMOUS!” He began jumping up and down and ran around the house. Yeon Ah smiled at her brother, ‘I’m glad you’re one you’re step closer to your dream.’

                “So when do you start training?” She pulled out a cup and filled it with water.

                “Well, that’s where the problem is. I start training next week, and the company wants me to move into the dorms this week,” he sighed and looked at his sister. Yeon Ah nearly spat out her water. She looked over at him and knew that they were both thinking the exact same thing. At dinner, Daniel broke the news to his parents, who were just as excited as he was. They told him that they support him in all decisions he makes. That night, Daniel began packing his belongings. Yeon Ah helped him put stuff into his suitcase in silence.

                “Good luck with your training. I know you’ll do well and your future group will be a big hit,” Yeon Ah tried hard not to cry. She only cries in front of her brother, but felt like she needed to be strong this time and it up.

                “I know you’re sad, sis, but this is my chance. I’ll come back to visit from time to time, don’t worry! Holy crap, are you crying?! What’s wrong?” Daniel rushed over to Yeon Ah, who was silently crying.

                “It’s just …  we’ve never … lived separate from each … other … And we always did … everything … together. I’m sorry, I’ll try to stop. It’s just a big shock. I’m good now,” Yeon Ah reassuringly smiled at her brother. He worriedly looked at her and knew that she wasn’t okay.

                “Hey, let’s write a song tonight. I think we have enough inspirations to put something together. What do you say?” Daniel wiped his sister’s tears away and gave her a hug.

                “Okay, one song. Let’s not make it our last together,” Yeon Ah laughed and went to get her blank music scores.

                By the next week, he was gone. All of his essential belongings were packed and moved to the dorms. All that was left behind were his bed, dresser, and some random articles of clothing. Yeon Ah sighed as she sat on his bed and looked around the empty room. She closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall behind her and fell asleep. And that was the first time they lived separately from one another.

*Present time. September 2007*

                “Remember to take some medicine if you get sick! And don’t have any parties when we’re gone!” Mrs. Lee lectured her two children. It was Saturday and the Chae family were at the airport. Yeon Ah helped her dad load up the cart with the suitcases and pushed it into the airport. Daniel, who was in disguise, carried his mother’s carry ons.

                “Mum, we know, we know. Do you not trust us?” Yeon Ah asked, pretending to be offended. They reached the terminal and were forced to say their last good bye before their parents disappeared behind the sliding doors.

                “Let’s go home. We’ve got to move and unpack your stuff,” Yeon Ah began to walk out to their car.

                “I’ll drop you off at home and go get my things. I can’t take the risk and bring you with me to the dorm. The other members, paparazzi, and stalker fans might see you,” Daniel told her. Yeon Ah nodded in agreement and they left the airport. Daniel dropped her off and drove to his dorms. He walked into Dalmatian’s house and started packing up his clothes and toiletry items.

                “So you’re moving back to your parents’ house today, huh?” asked a tall, skinny boy holding a Dalmatian pup in his arms.

                “Oh, hey Jisu hyung, and Bbangku. Yea I’m moving in today. Since they’ll be gone for a while, someone needs to take care of the house,” he replied while zipping up his suitcase.

                “Let us come live with you too! Please?!” a blue haired boy came in and pulled on Daniel’s arm.

                “WHAT, NO! I mean, no, you can’t, Young Won hyung,” Daniel nervously smiled at him.

                “Haha, I was only joking, but we can still visit you though, right?” Daniel laughed and shook his head.

                “I’m going to school every day, and I’ll see you at practices and schedules, so there’s no need to visit me. Plus, I’ll only go to the house to sleep, nothing else,” Daniel closed his backpack and brought his things out into the living room. The other three followed and sat down on the couches. “Manager Hyung is going to drive me now. Tell Inati hyung, Dayday hyung, and Dari hyung I said good bye.”

                “Okay! Visit us soon! I miss you already!” Young Won yelled after him.

                “I just walked out the door, hyung!” Daniel laughed at his band member’s silliness. His manager pulled up in a black sedan and opened the trunk. “How are you, manager hyung? Thanks for driving me today.”

                “No problem, Daniel. Let’s get going.” They both got into the car and drove off. The house was only a 15 minute ride away from Dalmatian’s dorms. They finally arrived in front of the house and the manager helped Daniel bring his things to the front door. “Remember to keep your phone on at all times. I’ll be sending your schedules via email, so check your inbox daily. Have fun taking care of your sister.” His manager walked off and he waved good bye. The front door abruptly opened.

                “Hurry up, I just cooked lunch for us,” Yeon Ah picked up his suitcase and brought it up to his old room. They both entered his room and he began to smile.

                “Nothing’s changed since I left. And it’s not even dusty in here. Did you guys clean it for me?” Daniel raised a curious eyebrow at his sister.

                “I would clean it once in a blue moon. You know I don’t like dust. Let’s go eat,” Yeon Ah squeezed past her brother and ran downstairs to the kitchen. Daniel followed after and sat down at the already set dining table. Yeon Ah came into the dining room form the kitchen with two glasses of water. “Thanks for the food.” They ate in silence, enjoying each others’ company.

                “I’m glad that I’m living at home now. It’s more peaceful than the dorms. I miss mom and dad already,” Daniel told his sister. Yeon Ah nodded her head in agreement. ‘I miss mom and dad as well, but I’m glad you’re back.’ And now is the first time they will be living together without their parents.


 

I'M SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN MORE THAN A WEEK. I'm actually drowining in assignments and midterms, so please bare with me >_< And sadly, I can't say I have spring break because I'm not in high school T^T This is the only time I envy highschoolers.....Not that I have anything against them! I just hate the fact that my reading break was a measely 2 days >_> ANYWAY, aside from my complaints, I hope you enjoy this chapter. It's actually a filler chapter -- I mean, gah. @_@ It's supposed to show their relationship with one another and what they went through as kids and stuff.....I >_< The playground story is actually based off what happened to me in kindergarten >_> It seemed like a good idea to use it as part of this chapter LOL *gets shot*

I'm going to post the next chapter SOON. 

THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING. They really make my day ^^

See you in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-