Not-so-Merry Christmas

My Cotton Candy Boy

 

                It was a white Christmas and Yeon Ah was home alone. The boys had left for Jeju the day before Christmas Eve to film a music show special and were still not home. She bustled around the kitchen, baking up a storm. Every year, she made several batches of cookies and delivered them to her friends and local homeless shelters. This year was no different. At the crack of dawn, she was up and running.

                “White Chocolate Chunks for Hyo Min, M&M’s for Hyo Rin, and 1 batch of Classic Chocolate Chip and 1 batch of Double Chocolate Chips for the homeless shelter. Let’s do this, Yeon Ah. Hwaiting!” she rolled up her sleeves and began her mission.

--

                “Boys! Looks like we’re stuck here until tomorrow. They don’t know when the skies will clear up, so I suggest you find a comfy seat,” Manager Kim threw each of them a water bottle. Young Won sulked in his seat. It has been 2 whole days since he had last talked to Yeon Ah and he missed her. Manager Kim had confiscated their phones for the broadcasts and still hadn’t given them back yet.

                “I wonder what Yeonnie’s doing right now,” he sighed. Daniel patted him on the shoulder.

                “Probably baking.”

                “Baking?”

--

                “Batch number 4, complete! I’m done!” Yeon Ah placed the cookies into a container. She looked up at the clock and noticed that it was only 12 in the afternoon. ‘Huh, looks like I still have time before I make the deliveries. Maybe I should make some for the guys.’ Grabbing the ingredients, she threw together 2 more batches. ‘They would probably be hungry from the trip.’

--

                “Lunch, boys. Eat up. Today’s going to be a long day,” Manager Kim and Inati passed around the sandwiches. Young Won gloomily took his food and sat off to the side. Now that his relationship was out in the open with the guys, he didn’t have to hide the fact that he missed Yeon Ah. ‘I have no appetite…’ he stared at his sandwich.

                “Hyung, stop sulking. You’ll see her soon,” Daniel sat down next to him.

                “Yeah, I know I’ll see her by tomorrow, but I wanted to spend our first Christmas together as a couple,” he leaned back in his chair.

              “I’m glad you love my sister and all, but at least eat your sandwich. I’m sure that’s something she’d want you to do.” Young Won sat up and opened his sandwich. He knew that Daniel was right. Why was he feeling sorry for himself? He needs to stay strong in order to protect his girl. Daniel smiled at his friend and silently at his food.

--

                “House is clean, cookies are ready, and the Christmas decorations are all up. Time to make some deliveries,” Yeon Ah grabbed the 4 boxes of cookies and strapped them to her bike. Although it was cold and snowing, she had no other way to get around since her money was all spent on gifts and supplies. ‘Here we go.’ The snow was pelting down as she drove to the twins’ house first.

*Ding Dong*

                Yeon Ah shivered in the cold. The wind picked up as she rang the doorbell again. After a 10 minute wait, the door swung open to reveal 2 half asleep girls.

                “Oh, Yeonnie *yawn* what are you doing here?” Hyo Min rubbed her tired eyes. Hyo Rin was leaning against her sister, fast asleep. Yeon Ah was intrigued that they stood unaffected by the cold while she was shivering her off.

                “*cough* I’m just here to drop these off. Merry Christmas!” she handed them the 2 boxes of cookies and bustled away.

                “Want to stay for some hot chocolate?” they called after her.

                “Thanks, but no thanks! I’ve still got somewhere else to go!” she hopped onto her bike and drove off. The snow started to slow down and the weather began to clear up. Her drive to the shelter was a breeze and within minutes, she pulled into the parking lot. “Merry Christmas everybody!” Warm greetings were exchanged and she went into the kitchen. Volunteers were scrambling around the kitchen, preparing the Christmas dinner for the hundreds of patrons that would visit that night. “Hey Tae Woon. How are the preparations coming along?” Yeon Ah tied an apron on and washed her hands. Tae Woon looked up from the pot her was stirring at waved.

                “It’s going great. No problems so far. I see you brought your famous cookies again,” he pointed to the boxes.

                “Of course!” she laughed and picked up a knife.

--

                “Stop pacing, you’re making me dizzy,” Inati rubbed his temples. His head was throbbing with a migraine and he was in a bad mood. Daniel sat back down and folded his arms. DayDay and Dari were both asleep and Jisu was typing away on his laptop. Manager Kim was nowhere to be found and Young Won had gone exploring. It was 6 PM and their flight was still delayed. They’ve been in the airport for at least 9 hours now and everybody was on edge. Daniel was restless. He hated waiting and he hated the fact that he wasn’t spending Christmas with his sister. ‘There’s only 6 more hours left of Christmas. Hopefully we can get back in time.’ A group of fans were taking pictures and screaming at them from outside the terminal. “Can somebody PLEASE tell them to quiet down?” Inati jumped up from his seat and stormed over to the security. ‘This isn’t a very Merry Christmas…’

--

                “How are you, Ahjusshi? I haven’t seen you since Thanksgiving,” Yeon Ah added more chicken to his plate.

                “Ah, I’ve been well. Took up some AA classes like you suggested and have been clean ever since. Thank you, Yeon Ah. You really saved my life,” he held her hand and gave it a squeeze of gratitude. Yeon Ah had found this man drunk and passed out on the streets one day and brought him into the shelter. When he gained consciousness, she gave him a slice of reality and he’s been grateful of her ever since. “Also, I found a volunteer job at a local pet groomers.”

                “Really? Congrats! I’m glad you’ve found your path in life, Ahjusshi. Enjoy your meal,” she bowed to him and walked to the next person. The shelter was busier than it has ever been and people kept pouring in. “Tae Woon! We’re running low on food,” Yeon Ah passed him the empty chicken dish through the kitchen window.

                “Got it covered. We’re cooking up some more stuff,” he handed back a full plate and she made another round.

--

                “Attention, travellers, flight A108 to Seoul is now boarding. Please bring your tickets to Gate 5. That’s flight A108 at Gate 5. The plane will be leaving in an hour. Sorry for the delays.” The boys of Dalmatian and Manager Kim jubilantly cheered. After spending half a day in the airports, they were tired and happy to be able to finally go home. Young Won checked his watch. ‘8 PM. We might be home just in time.’

--

                Yeon Ah cleared up the last table and brought the disposable plates over to the trash can.

                “That was a success. We were able to feed hundreds of people today. The satisfaction of this accomplishment is food enough for me,” the owner of the shelter stretched out her arms. Yeon Ah nodded in agreement and collapsed into a chair. The early morning baking and volunteering got to her and she drifted off to sleep. ‘Just 5 minutes. I’ll wake up in 5 minutes.’

--

                The plane landed safely and the boys exited the plane quickly. It had stopped snowing and their breathes came out thick in the crisp night air.

                “Let’s crash at Daniel’s house tonight,” Inati suggested. Manager Kim groggily nodded his head, subconsciously walking down the jetway towards the terminal. They walked through the exit and were unexpectedly attacked by a mob of fans and paparazzi.

                “What the heck. How come there are so many people here?” Jisu mumbled to Daniel.

                “I don’t know.” They piled into the car and struggled to leave the airport because of the fans crowding the car. Manager Kim honked the horn and slowly pulled out of the parking spot. At this rate, it would take them an hour to leave the airport. They drove to the Chae home, but took many detours because of the reporters and fans chasing them.

                “Hold on tight everybody,” Manager Kim made a legal u-turn and sped off. The chasing cars got caught at a red light and they were finally able to comfortable drive home.

--

                “Crap, did I really sleep that much?” Yeon Ah jumped out of her seat and scrambled to get her belongings. She raced out to her snow covered bike and defrosted it as fast as she could. ‘I want to open my presents before midnight!’ she started up her bike and drove off. She got caught in the traffic of cars heading home from Christmas dinner in the restaurants. ‘Aish, this is going to take a while.’

--

                Dalmatian’s van was parked outside a convenience store and the members were browsing through the aisles.

                “Manager Hyung couldn’t wait until we got home to use the bathroom, huh? I guess that’s what happens when one ages,” Jisu said, picking up a bag of chips. “OUCH! What was that for?!”

                “Just because I’m middle aged, doesn’t mean I’ve lost control of my bladder. There’s some called ‘drinking too much water’, Jisu,” Manager Kim brushed off his hands and went to the cash register. The boys brought over bags of junk food and quickly left. “Yah! At least help me carry these!” They came back and waited for the girl to scan the items.

                “That’ll be $30 please,” she shyly glanced at their faces. “Um, could I possibly get an autograph from you guys?” she held out a book and pen. “I’m a huge fan Dalmatian.”

                “Uh, sure,” Inati took the book and it went around their circle.

                “Thank you!” she held the book to her chest as they left the store. “Please come back again!” They bowed and climbed into their van.

--

                “Aish, finally. Home sweet home,” Yeon Ah sighed and pulled into the driveway. She decided to park her bike in the garage this time since it was going to be cold. She pushed her biked in and covered it with a cloth before closing the garage and walking up to her front door. “Now, where did I put my keys?”

--

                “Yay! We’re home!” Daniel cheered, waking up the sleeping boys. Manager Kim drove into the driveway. They saw a figure checking out their keyhole. “OMO, BURGLAR!”

--

                “I can’t believe my key broke…..stupid snow,” Yeon Ah tried, yet again, to pull out her broken key. The rough edges scratched her fingers raw. ‘Aish,’ she sighed. The cold air stung her fingers and she failed to get the key out. It was well below 0 degrees and although she was dressed warmly, she knew she wouldn’t last for a very long time. The sound of snow crunching behind her caught her attention. Nobody should be at her house at this time of night. Her brother had called earlier and said he wouldn’t be home tomorrow, so it must be a robber or e. She grabbed her motorcycle key and turned to face the ‘thief’.

--

                Daniel slowly walked towards the mysterious person. Manager Kim trailed behind as backup, while the other boys stayed in the car under his orders. Daniel got close and heard the person mumbling something he couldn’t quite catch. Grabbing a broken branch from the ground, he inched closer as quietly as he could. He noticed the person tense up and knew that they had heard him. ‘Please don’t have a weapon. Please be weak. Please don’t kill me!’ he continued moving forward. The person grabbed a hold of something and turned around.

                “Yeonnie?! What the heck are you doing out here?” Daniel dropped his branch and ran over to his sister. Yeon Ah pocketed her keys and sighed with relief.

                “I thought you said you’d be in tomorrow,” she wiped her running nose.

                “Our flight was given the ‘okay’ to leave, so we came home as fast as we could,” he pulled out his keys and moved to the door.

                “Don’t even bother trying. My key broke into the lock,” she rubbed her hands together for warmth.

                “I’ll get the pliers from the garage,” Daniel ran off to find anything useful. The other boys filed out of the car and jogged over. “Oh, you’re all here,” she bowed to them and moved over to Young Won’s outstretched arms. “How was your trip?” she asked no one in particular.

                “It was fun, but extremely tiring,” Dari leaned against DayDay, who was too tired to push him off. Daniel came back with some pliers and got the key out of the lock.

                “Here, I’ll bring this back to the garage. You all head in a rest first,” Yeon Ah took the pliers and ran to the garage.

                “I’ll go with you!” Daniel followed after, linking arms with her. The siblings put the tool away and headed back out to the front door. All of a sudden, there were white lights everywhere….


DUN DUN DUUUUUUN~~~~~

What happened?!

COMMENT REPLIES

@ kyoko_chi: haha, he seemed like the best fit for that line XD

@ ilovemuffins: yay~~~~ thank you!! 

@ winterflowr: I actually wanted them to fight, but then decided not to....*too lazy to write out more details*

@ hai_young: sweetie XD I lol-ed. Hmm...we'll see =P

Another chapter up! Only this much closer to ending the fic! T^T

See you in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-