Chapter Thirty-Seven

Imprinted Signature

 

 

37

 

 

‘Aaron, where are you?’

Aaron knock the men that blocked his way, at this point, he can only count on his heart to give directions as to where she is. “GUI WHERE ARE YOU?” He shouted out repeatedly. His voice echoed through the hallways, hoping it would make its way to her.

Just when Ah Wei thought he managed to control her, he could hear someone call out for her. He instantly turned around, pulling her along but she managed to slip out of his grasp and ran in the direction the voice was calling from. 

“AARON! AARON?! WHERE ARE YOU?! I’M HERE!” 

She tried her best to run like a lion, as fast as her legs can possibly go, she made her way towards him. His ears twitched when he heard her respond. He ran in the direction it came from. Just when she was about ran out of energy, Aaron pulled her into hug. 

“Sorry, I’m late.” He whispered softly to see her shaking her head as she cried in his embrace. The person she was running away from emerged in front of him, Aaron held the gun at him. Ah Wei stopped when he realizes that the person he met earlier was here. Embracing a girl that isn’t Angela. Could it be that Angela and him were never an item? “Interesting.” He whispers before meeting him head on.

“Mr. Yan? Out of all people, you came to the rescue.”

“This business you do... You gave the impression that it was some international business.”

“I guess my cover is blown now.” He stated out loud as he put his hands up in the air. “What I do now does not matter to you and it shouldn’t even be brought up at a time like this. Now that I have your attention, that girl is ours now. Hand her over to me or my men won’t hesitate to snatch her away, by force of course.”

“I don’t do negotiations with people like you.”

“Like me?! What’s wrong with me? I believe I have the ability to make deals and believe me, this deal I am offering you is a pretty damn good. So why don’t you just accept my offer and we can pretend this fiasco never happened? I can turn a blind eye if you like.”

“No.”

“No?” 

In that moment, the sound of guns could be heard. Gui gasps as she watches someone walk over to Aaron with a gun aimed at him. She was about to say something but froze when the man’s eyes locked onto hers. She became speechless at the cold intense eyes that caught hold of hers. He was furious, more than words can describe. 

“A–A–Ao Lo–ng...”

“Ao Long?” Aaron whispered and in an instant, he froze to repeat a name he can never forget. 

Ah Wei deeply sighs, ruffling his hair as he turns to see Alan behind Aaron with a gun pointed directly at him. Ah Wei was about to speak and Alan immediately sent him a glare, telepathically telling him to shut his lips before he rips them apart. Ah Wei zipped his lips as he took this chance to pull Gui away from Aaron. It was no use, Gui didn’t want to be separated from Aaron and Aaron wasn’t going to let her go.

“Why you littl—”

“Just let them be with one another. After tonight, they will have to say their goodbyes to one another.”

Aaron squeezed her hand while she looked up to see his warm gaze she loved. “Don’t let go of my hand.” Aaron whispers as she responded by holding onto his hand tightly. Ah Wei turned around and lead the group to a empty room while the remainder of the men walked in with Wu Chun, Uncle Wu, Calvin and Jiro tied up. 

“There was more of you?” Ah Wei turned to see a group of people in front of him. “UNCLE!” Gui shouted out, running over to her uncle but the man pushed her back. Aaron took her hand and pulled her with him.

Jiro glared at Calvin who telepathically told Aaron that it was his fault they didn’t make it out in time while Calvin blamed Wu Chun for being a slow poke, then Wu Chun blamed both of them for ‘having a blast’ beating people up. 

“I pictured a different reunion for us. At least I wanted to go through the process of this a little differently but seeing as how we are all here now, I guess we might do some catching up. For old times’ sake shall we? I don’t even know where to begin... How does these things start anyway?”

“Just cut to the chase then let us go!” Calvin shouted. “I can release you guys, but the old man and the girl stays.”

Alan stared at Aaron, hoping to get some response back. But all he received was an glare from him. Slightly amused, his lips curve into a grin as his fingers trace the beautiful, cold exterior of his gun. 

“I was normal, I was normal like you guys. But I do not regret the decisions I made and I do not regret my choices because the choices and decisions led me to who I am. This is who I am, I don’t know how many times I stained my hands but there are things in this world that will never revert back to the way it was.” Gui looked up to see him. Unable to keep her attention away, she silently watched him. “While I am still playing nice, tell me the secrets to the experiment. Only you know old man and if not..” 

One of the men pulled Gui away from Aaron with unimaginable force. They tied him up along with the others as he tossed her over to Alan who was rough like a beast. He pinned her against the wall. “YOU BASTARD! DO NOT TOUCH HER!!”

Aaron balled his fists while Gui kept her eyes on Alan, she didn’t know why but she kept quiet and stared at him, watching his gaze turn furious to sad. “I SAID DO NOT TOUCH HER YOU BASTARD! IF YOU LAY A HAND ON HER, I WILL—”

Aaron got cut off when Uncle Wu voice silenced the room. “PLEASE DON’T HURT HER ANYMORE!” Ah Wei lips curve into a grin as he looked over to see Alan. 

The more she saw Ao Long, the more she found herself thinking. What was it that Ao Long was trying to get? What happened to him after high school? In her memory, she remembered him to be charismatic, very much like Mike He who was popular with everyone. Qiu Ao Long... Why does your expression look so sad? 

“Why do you look so sad?” She softly whispered over to him, the question only the two of them could hear. He stops and slowly looked up to see her eyes fixated on his. They look at each other for a moment before his lips curve into smirk. “What do you mean?” He was about to lean in to kiss her when he stopped when he heard her say. “Your eyes... They look sad for some reason.” He looked at her once again, what is this bullsh!t?

‘This isn’t good, she's starting to break him.’ Ah Wei watched the two closely before he couldn't stand it anymore. He broke them apart and pushed her aside before looking over to Alan who was angry. “Get a grip, you’re starting to lose it.”

“HOW CAN YOU TREAT A GIRL LIKE THAT?!” Calvin called out, throwing his frustrations as Aaron watch her hit the ground, being tied up was hard enough but watching Gui get thrown around like this was more than enough to set him off. “YEAH, HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?! SHE IS A GIRL AND YOU SHOULD BE—”

“Should be what? More polite? Be a gentlemen? Ashamed? Well I hate to burst your bubbles but I am not a lady charmer.” He turned his attention back to Uncle Wu. “Now spill.”

“If she is released safely, I will tell you.”

“DOES IT LOOK LIKE I DO NEGOTIATIONS? GET TO THE POINT AND STOP WASTING MY TIME!”

“RELEASE MY NIECE AND WE’LL HAVE A DEAL!”

“ARE YOU JOKING WITH ME OLD MAN?!” Growing impatient, Ah Wei took out his gun and pointed directly over to Uncle Wu whose eyes remained focused and determined. “Release my niece right now.”

“And if I don’t?”

“Then we don’t have a deal.”

“YOU FC*KEN STUBBORN OLD MA—”

“Ah Wei.” Alan finally made his way over to them, he bent down to meet their eye level. “Tell me everything and she’ll be free, you have my word.” The room went silent as Aaron looked over to Gui who looked over to her uncle. “NO UNCLE, DO NOT TELL HIM! DO NOT TELL HIM ANYTHING! YOU CAN’T TELL HIM ANYTHING, I AM BEGGING YOU! DO NOT TELL—” Ah Wei made his way over to her, slapped her again for stepping out of her boundaries and she glared at him. “DO NOT TELL HIM UNCLE!”

“Ah Wei.” Ah Wei turned around to find himself sprawled on the floor, clutching onto his stomach as he looked up to see Alan pointed his gun at him. “WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!?”

“That’s enough from you, I will handle this.”

“WHA—”

“ARE YOU THE BOSS OR AM I? LET’S GET THIS STRAIGHT, YOU ARE TO FOLLOW MY ORDERS. NOTHING ELSE, I DO NOT WANT YOU TO STEP OUT OF LINE DO YOU UNDERSTAND?”

They both glared at each other before Ah Wei cursed under his breath. “I’ll be on the lookout.” He threw one last glance over to Gui before leaving the room with a couple of men following behind him. “Now, tell me, what is the secret you have been keeping all to yourself?”

 

................

 

Mike grabbed hold of Hebe who ran towards the door, prepared to magically appear where her sister was, she was ready to break anything and everything that stood in her way. 

“LET ME GO! I NEED TO BE THERE, I NEED TO BE THERE NOW! YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH, YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY OF THIS SITUATION, NOW LET ME GO!”

“HEBE STOP. EVERYONE IS GOING TO BRING HER BACK TO US. SHE IS GOING TO COME BACK TO US!”

“NO, LET ME GO! MIKE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME GO!”

“Hebe...”

“I DON’T TRUST ANYONE MIKE! I CAN’T TRUST ANYONE RIGHT NOW! EVERYTHING WE HAVE... EVERYTHING I HAVE IS ABOUT TO BE GONE! I CAN’T WATCH EVERYTHING I WORKED HARD TO PROTECT BE EXPOSED. JUST THE THOUGHT OF IT IS MAKING ME INSANE, I CANNOT JUST SIT HERE AND WATCH EVERYTHING BURST INTO FLAMES WHILE MY SISTER IS OUT THERE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING. CAN YOU DO IT? IF AARON WAS OUT THERE FIGHTING WHILE YOU STAY BEHIND? WOULD YOU STILL STAY BEHIND AND WATCH HIM FIGHT? You’re a coward Mike He... The reason why you haven’t been taking risks is because you want the safest way out, the safest solution. But it’s too bad, I prefer to be out there and fight for what is important. You might not like it but this is the new ‘me’, my life. I need to face whatever it is thats out there.” 

As she glared at him, hoping he would deny her bizarre accusations against him. He didn’t say anything, he had nothing to say. Her eyes widen, puzzled why he didn't argue back. She said nasty things about him and he isn’t saying a word about it. 

“Son, bring her up to your father’s study.”

Mike looked up to see Mr. Wu standing on top of the stairway, signalling him to bring her up. He was hesitant at first, Hebe would try everything to break free from his grip. “Son, it’s okay. Just bring her up.” 

Hebe broke free from his grip and stared at her father furiously. “DAD! I HAVE TO GO! I HAVE TO BE THERE FOR GUI, I HAVE TO SAVE HER!”

“Fu Chen, let’s talk before you go. Mike, you should come up as well.”

When he walked away, Hebe reluctantly entered the room with Mike shortly after. Only to be in the presence of both their fathers. 

“Father, I need to—“

“Fu Chen, stop. I do not want you to go anywhere.”

“FATHER! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW?!” Mr. Yan looked over to his long-time friend who kept his eyes on the window, looking out. “I’M LEAVING!” 

“Didn’t you ask me for answers?” Hebe stops. From the window’s reflection, Mr. Wu could see how she froze at his sudden remark. “Didn’t you want me to tell you why we have been in hiding for all these years? What I did to deserve this? Why did everyone turned their back on me? Why this happened?”

Mike looked at his father, telepathically asking him if he should be here. To answer his question, his father silently said ‘stay.

“Sorry father, I do not have time right now. I will hear this when I come back with—”

“HEBE WU FU CHEN!”

“DADDY! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT! I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT! I FRICKEN DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS RIGHT NOW! PLEASE DADDY, I DO NOT WANT TO BE HERE... I DO NOT WANT TO... be here...”

Mike held Hebe in his arms as she blocked her ears from them. She’s going to go crazy.

“7 years ago, I thought that I was a brilliant doctor who was knowledgeable on a lot of things but being a doctor doesn’t mean that I should be right all the time. Sometimes, I will get curious and I would immerse myself in any researches and discoveries that sparked me. However, it didn’t occur to me how my curiosity would get me into trouble. Everything I have done, everything I did, everything turned upside down when a new discovery was said to cure an rare illness. As curious as I was, I began looking into it. With a couple of other specialists, he decided to work on it. One thing leads to another and before I know it, we were unravelling something that could potentially cause harm to others. Like many other scientists, we unravelled something that no matter how fascinating it was, we did so not knowing the consequences that came shortly after.”

Despite Hebe’s best efforts to stop herself from listening, she gave in and tears flowed out, she knew this story would be one she will never want to hear ever again.

 

 

“  A man should never be ashamed to admit he has been in the wrong,

which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser than he was yesterday.

Alexander Pope.