Chapter Ten

Imprinted Signature

 

10

 

When Aaron parked outside the car into the garage, he saw another car there as well. So without much noise, he quickly took out his gun and got out. He didn’t want to anyone suspicious and that vehicle was suspicious enough to be there. Who does it belong to? He crouched down when he heard footsteps coming closer and closer to him. Just when he heard the footsteps coming closer and closer, he quickly got up, holding the gun towards the direction the sound was coming from.

“What? How do you have a gun?” A voice so familiar made Aaron lower his guard, sighing a relief as he leaned against the car. “How did you get a gun? I didn’t know you were certified to have one.” Aaron chuckled as he pointed to the knife he was holding onto. “You’re not going to do much damage with a knife.”

“Don’t underestimate this weapon, it can be deadly.” Mike laughed as he put the knife back into his pocket, turning his attention to Aaron’s car. “Nothing happened right?”

“As far as I know, not yet.”

“C’mon, let’s get them into the house. It’s safer than this garage.”

Aaron nodded as Mike opened the car, he was going to carry Fu Chen but he stopped a couple of centre meters apart when she suddenly woke up. Surprised to see him up close, she was about to scream but she stopped, not wanting to wake up Gui. She stared at him with her eyes wide, not believing who it was in front of her. Was she dreaming? She carefully got out of the car and stared at Mike who had been looking at one another for awhile. Aaron was about to carry Gui out when Hebe put her hands on his shoulder.

“She hasn’t fully adjusted herself to this situation, be careful not to wake her up.” Aaron nodded as he did what she said, he carefully carried her out of the car, walking into the house while Hebe and Mike followed after them. Hebe followed Aaron downstairs where he picked a room randomly, placing her gently on the bed while Hebe glanced around the room. “We should be safe for now.” Aaron whispered as he smiled at Gui who was still sleeping.

“I will stay with Gui, you should go before Gui wakes up. She isn’t used to seeing... people other than our family members. Let alone this unfamiliar place.” She put her hands on his shoulder, reassuring him as he nodded, walking out of the room.

 When he closed the door behind him, he walked upstairs to find a dozen bags greeting him. Mike was in the kitchen, putting the groceries away when he noticed Aaron picking up one of the bags. “Are you going through a phase?” He asked while holding up a girl’s dress. “Hey, Hey! Don’t you know it’s rude to look without permission?” Mike cleared his throat. “I didn’t know what they liked so I brought whatever the sales lady said was nice. I just thought that they might need a change of clothes, that’s all.”

 While Aaron held the dress up, he felt the dress slip through his fingers as he turned to see Hebe beside him, walking over to the counter. Gui... she has nightmares every night.”

“About what?” Aaron asked, clueless to everything that has happened. Hebe smiled as she glanced over to his expression that was has ‘concerned’ written all over it. The longer she looked at him, the more she came to the conclusion that it was best not to get them involved in her family matters. It would be better if they weren't involved, not like this. “It’s a secret~” She sang while she looked over to Mike, remembering what she asked him a couple of nights ago.

“Why did you guys come back?” Mike turned to see Fu Chen standing behind him with her eyes on the dress. But when her eyes looked into his, he could feel his heartbeat quicken. “I just got a call from Uncle Wu and your father, they said that they reached the safe house. Everyone is safe for now. He told me to tell you girls that he will do everything he can to call everyday to check up, other than that, he says ‘I love you and make sure you guys take care of one another’.”

“You haven’t answered my question, why are you guys doing this? Did you think that things will turn back to normal if you do this? I told you to stay away... ” Hebe carefully raised her tone, surprising Mike and Aaron. She slowly collapsed on the floor with tears coming down her porcelain face, she was breaking inside. Mike quickly dropped everything and crouched down to her level, but when he got close, Hebe pushed him away.

All they could do was watch her as she choked on the words that she fought so hard to keep back. But seeing them once again, she was going crazy. “Why did you appear in front of me again? I tried so hard to forget you guys but why did you have to come back? I told you to forget me and then you brought Aaron into this? Do you guys know what you’re doing?”

“We just wanted to see you again.” Aaron whispered as Hebe cried harder. “All I wanted was for you guys to forget us, forget the past and don’t think about the future with us.”

“WHY? WHY DO YOU KEEP PUSHING US AWAY?!”

“IS IT HARD FOR YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM US?“

“WHY DO WE NEED TO? IT’S NOT LIKE–“ Hebe gasped as she heard Gui scream, she quickly got up and ran to her. At this point, Mike and Aaron was lost, they had no clue what they were getting themselves into and with Hebe crying earlier, didn’t they want to be saved? When they saw Hebe comforting Gui, all they could do was watch. Why was she trying so hard to keep us away?

“NO DON’T! DON’T LEAVE! PLEASE! DON–“ When Gui saw Hebe, she quickly wrapped her arms around her, still shaking as she tightly closed her eyes, trying to stop shaking. While Hebe her back, telling her that she was there. Mike turned the other way and walked upstairs as Aaron watched them, he could feel his heart breaking into pieces.

What could he do?

Could he even do anything?

 So all he could do was close the door, giving them time to adjust to the situation.  Mike was outside, probably calming himself down while he walked back upstairs, putting the things his brother brought earlier.

 

 

................

 

 

“Where are we?” Gui whispered as Hebe closed her eyes. “Don’t worry, we are safe.”

When Gui’s heartbeat slowed down, Hebe slowly let go to wipe the tears from her face. “WHERE DID UNCLE GO? WHERE IS DADDDY? DID SOMEONE DISCOVER US?” Hebe shook her head, holding onto Gui as they looked at one another. “They are safe. Mike and Aaron’s friends came and saved us.” Gui gave her a puzzled expression. “MMike? AAAaron? How d–d–did th–they fi–fi–find us?”

The Yan brothers? The side of Gui’s lips curve into a smile as she slowly remembered the Yan brothers. Gui... you know we cannot depend on them right? Sooner or later, we will have to go–” Gui wrapped her arms around Hebe and smiled. “I know... Hebe Jie... it’s good to see them again... Even if it’s for a split second, I’m happy that they were the ones who saved us...”

“I know mei... but I just don’t want them involved... Can you promise me something?” They let go and stare at one another. “Do you remember mom’s warning? Don’t go anywhere without me, got it?”

“Yes Ma’am.” Gui saluted to Hebe as they smiled.