Chapter Thirty

Imprinted Signature

 

 

30

 

 

 

Don`t ever take a fence down 

until you know why it was put up.

Robert Frost 

 

 

 

 

 

*Thump* Thump* Goes her heartbeat.

Despite people zooming past them, he could faintly smell the espresso from her. With her hair tied up in a high ponytail, she made her way over to him with the sound of her heels clicking along her. Given how beautiful she was, people around them were showering the two with endless remarks of affection. As much as Angela wished that it was true, she knew deep down that the boy standing in front of her won’t be hers. As they looked at one another, it was more than enough to catch Angela’s heart race. Just the thought of being with him, she couldn’t deny her feelings nor can she act on them.  

“Long time no see, Aaron Yan.” He chuckled, gaze met with hers. “Likewise, Miss. Angela Qiu.” He recalled the memory of them together, their first encounter. It was at the party with his father and Mike several weeks ago. He bluntly pointed out that she was a reporter scooping for a story while Mike remained solemn. So this is how their paths cross.

“I’ll like to talk to you, can you spare a moment for me?” Aaron clutched onto the gold chain as he looked at the store in front of them. Seeing his complexion, Angela could already guess how perplexed he was. So she stepped into his line of vision, blocking the view of store in front of him again, demanding his attention.

“Aaron.” To make matters inconvenient, her heartbeat began beating more rapidly. Like a crazy teenage girl in love, she was in love with him... and she can’t deny it. 

“What is it? Can’t you see I’m busy?”

“On what? Official Yan Corp business? Don’t worry, I won’t bother you for long. I just need to borrow some of your time.” Aaron continues to look at her until she lightly squeezed his hand. “Just say it here, we are practically alone.”

Angela gathered up all her strength to drag him with her. He got into the car like she wanted and without a word, he watched her step on the gas pedal as they sped away from the busy crowd. “Whether or not you want to believe it, there are eyes everywhere Aaron.”

“How did you find me?”

“That’s not important.”

“Then we have nothing else to talk about.”

“Oh yes we do! I need your help for the case I am working on.”

“And I thought you were going to confess about something else.” Angela felt her breath stop as she looks over to him, how long does it take for him to see through her? She was like an open-book, although she admits it, no one around her does. They all see her as someone who is strong and determined to get a job done. Whatever the case may be, as long as she was up for the challenge, she was the person who will get it done. “I am relieved that you can still make jokes.”

During the entire car ride, they were silent. In roughly 12 minutes, they reached their destination when Angela parked the car along the sidewalk. She parked a block away so that it wouldn’t be suspicious, it would be a mess if they were to get caught, especially in a place like this. “Where are we?”

“Follow me.” Aaron original plan was to speak to a jeweller and get the buyer information from them. Instead, he found himself derailing from his initial plan to follow Angela to a neighbourhood where vintage and the good ol’ golden days collide. He didn’t know such place still existed in Taipei. ‘Strange... What are we doing here?’ he thought as he followed her.

“I didn’t know you like these types of places.” She placed a finger on her lips, urging for him to be quiet. He looked over her, questioning her actions as she opened the door to a rundown place. It felt like they took a time-machine and it brought them into a vintage-looking bar that looked like it belonged in the 1920’s. The air was filled with the heavy smell of tobacco, in addition to the strong smell of tobacco, there was the smell of heavy liquor and jukebox tunes to recreate that enchanting vintage era feel.

Angela walked in like she was a regular and sat down at a table in the corner, located next to the juke box and pool tables. The dimly lit lights hung low above them and the prefect shade of rich wine rouge, leather seats awaited for their arrival. Seeing how puzzled he was, she knew he was going to explode at any minute with a million questions, so she ordered her meal and waited for him to be seated.

“Why are we here? You said you wanted to talk about somethi–"

“Is this him?”

Aaron looked over to see a man around his age sit down in front of them, taking of his sunglasses, fedora hat and coat to reveal himself as a man that girls would call ‘a prince.’ (Not in his (Aaron’s) terms though, he would’ve called him anything else but prince.)

“Who are you?”

“OH where are my manners, I am Angela’s brother, feel free to call me Wang Zi.” Aaron eyed him skeptically, wondering what their motive was. He look over to Angela but she naturally avoided his gaze. “Your order is here.” The waiter placed the drinks and food on the table before walking away shorty after announcing the arrival of food. Wang Zi smirked as he looks over to Angela who slid a couple of drinks over to her side. “Sharing is caring baby sis.” Angela responded with a playful smirk before sliding a plate of veggies over to him. 

“Stop playing around and tell me what the hell is going on.” Aaron demanded, slightly raising his tone at the man who pushed the plate of veggies away. “Impatient are we?” He leaned in close to Aaron and smirked. “I’m not a man who likes to brag but there are times when I feel the urge to and let me tell you, I know everything kid and I have the answers that you’re frantically looking for.” 

Wang Zi leans back to see Angela urging him to take a bite. He then paused to look at Aaron. Should I play with him just a bit longer?

“Wu Ying J–“ Wang Zi whispered as cautiously as he can, seeing how fast Aaron reached over to grab his collar, he couldn’t help but notice his reflexes. He didn’t care about the girl but he cared about his brother and the strings he is pulling. He snapped out of trance when his ears twitched to distant chatter as everyone’s undivided attention was on him the kid. Angela placed her hand on Aaron’s shoulder, urging him to sit down.

“Starting a fight is not a good idea, calm down Aaron and listen to him.”

It took a lot for Aaron to let go and sit back down. Who was he? And what did he mean when he said that he had all the answers? Was this another prank? The man who called himself ‘prince’ straightened out his shirt, taking a big drink before looking at him.

“Like I said, I have what you want and you... you have something I want.”

“What do you want?”

“That gold chain, I want it.”

“Why? I need to trace it back to its owner.”

“Geez kid, that’s why I am telling you I have answers you want. All I want is an nice, simple, harmless exchange between us men. I want that gold chain and I will give you any information you want. But here’s my condition, I can only give you two valuable information. Do we have a deal?”

“You’re kidding right?”

“Aaron...” Angela whispers as her eyes watch his hands clench. She knew he was trying his best to stay under the radar and control his emotions but the more she found herself looking at him, the more her heart hurts.‘Does she mean that much to you?’

‘Hold on.’ With a worried expression, Wang Zi looks over to Angela and a light bulb lit up. They were a family who knew how to control their emotions so when Wang Zi stole a look over to Angela, it was as vibrant as the daybreak.

“How can I trust you?”

“Good question... How do you trust me?” He whispered as he rubbed his chin. “Ahh~”

Wang Zi took out his phone, pressed a bunch of numbers, waiting for the call to connect before speaking into the phone. “Connect me to her.” He stated before passing the phone over to Aaron. Aaron stared at the phone, questioning his motive. “Don’t want it?” Wang Zi sighed as he leaned  over to take his phone back but Aaron held it against his ear and answered the phone.

“Who is this?”

“....”

“Hello?”

“....”

He could hear muffled cries over the phone. “Who are–” His eyes widen as he listening closely.

“Are you okay...?”

“Aaron... Don’t—”

In a swift move, Wang Zi grabbed his phone back, ending the call between them but Aaron wasn’t going to sit back down like a good boy. Aaron reached over and pulled him by the collar once again. Now he was furious.

“WHERE IS SHE? YOU BASTARD! WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?!”

Wang Zi pushed him back, straightening his shirt once again. “Aw man, this is my favourite shirt!” Angela tried to calm Aaron down but he pushed her away. Falling back into her seat with a thud and Wang Zi eyes widen as he got up once again, glaring at him. “No one treats my sister with disrespect like that kid.”

“TELL ME WHAT KIND OF GAME YOU ARE PLAYING!?”

“BOTH OF YOU! SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW!”

No one wants to see Aaron mad but no human being alive wants to witness the angry Angela Qiu. So without another word, they sat down. “You can have the easy way or the hard way. How do you want to do this?” Aaron slammed the gold chain on the table while Wang Zi lifted the chain off the table, dropping it in his pocket as he smiles. “In a couple days from now, you will come with me to see her.”

“Why not right now?”

“Are you serious?” Wang Zi chuckles.

“We will make a surprise visit on the day when there will be less guards walking around the place. Unless you want an attempt to suicide? In my opinion, it’s not smart for one man to go in alone, let alone a complete stranger to just walk in undetected. As fun as it sounds to watch you act like a complete moron, you are going to get discovered in a matter of seconds if you go in there alone. So play safely, I will have Angela contact you when I’m ready on my end.”

“How do I know that you are lying to me? I gave you the stupid necklace, what if you go back on your word?”

Wang Zi looks over to Angela who had been silent since he sat down next to them. The only time she spoke was to calm them down, he can’t help but think about her now. “I don’t back out of promises I make, I won’t be sitting here with you if your girlfriend didn’t ask me too. Just be prepared to do what I ask you to, got it?”

“Gui asked you? How? When? If I find out that you did anything to her, I’m going to kill you.”

“I don’t respond to threats, even if you are on my side.” Wang Zi says as Aaron got up, turning his attention to Angela. “We can finally agree to something, excuse me.”

When he left for the restrooms, Wang Zi leans over to observe her sister. “You like him. You fricken like him!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You were quiet the entire time.”

“It’s not like that Sheng Yi.”

“Sis... I know you better than anyone else. Even in you keep denying it, I can see it! You like this guy.” Sheng Yi sighs, gulping his drink down before putting his jacket and sunglasses on. 

“Before I ruin this, I’ll be off.” He whispers before walking out of the bar. Moments after he left, she was left alone at the booth, so she stared at the drink in front of her while his words ring through her mind.

‘You like him. You fricken like him!’ She took one drink.

‘You were quiet the entire time.’ She took another gulp.

‘Even in you keep denying it, I can see it! You like this guy.’ She swallowed the entire drink. 

“Am I that easy to read?” She questioned herself as she poured another shot of liquor into her glass. 

By the time Aaron came back, his eyes widen as he looked at the drunken Angela in front of him. He quickly left money on the table and carried her out of the bar. “Why did you drink so much anyway?” He muttered. After going through her pockets, he took out the car keys and sighs. “Where do you live?” Silence, he was answered with the nothing but the sound of her heavy breathing and his. He knew he was going to regret this but at the moment, he couldn’t think of a better way of repaying her then this. So he drove off, to the one place he only knew.

 

................

 

Looks and gossips was what Aaron got when he entered the lobby. With Angela in his arms, he tried asking the receptionist for another room but none were available at the moment. He watched the elevator shut behind him and walked in to see an family standing with him. Their conversation was about random things; like the ocean, stars, homework, horses and water.

When he heard the elevator reach his floor, he smiled at the family and quickly got out as he walked towards his room. After a few clicks, he threw the keys onto the counter before laying her on his bed.

‘Why are you so reckless?’

He didn’t see the need to stay with her while she slept so he got up to leave. But something held him back, he turns around to see her holding his hand.

“Don’t *hick* go...”