Chapter Twenty-Six

Imprinted Signature

 

26

 

“AHHHHHHH!”

“HEBE!”

Hebe bent down, gasping for air as she clench onto her chest, crying at the sudden pain that hit her chest. It was like someone stuck a needle right through her, to the heart. This pain was unlike any other pain she had ever witnessed, what’s going on? Mike held onto her shoulder, squeezing it. In a way, it was like he was telling her that it was going to be okay. They were still driving so how can he take his eyes off the road? With Hebe hurting beside him, is it really okay to keep driving while she is beside him, in pain? Hebe continue to squeeze her shirt tightly, not once did she ask for it stop. All she thought about was the question, what was this sudden pain?

Where was it coming it from? Why is my heart pounding like this? What the hell is going on? She could still feel the needle stirring inside her so she quickly told Mike to keep his eyes on the road. “Are you sure?”

“YES! GO! HURRY!” She shouted out, feeling the pain come back. “HEBE! I DON’T CARE, I’M TAKING YOU TO THE HOSPITAL!”

“MIKE! JUST DRIVE!” When she shouted out the second time, mike pass a water bottle over to her, urging her to hydrate herself while he continue to drive his way over to Calvin and Jiro's place.

“STOP TELLING ME TO DRIVE AND JUST TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? ARE YOU IN PAIN? ARE YOU ILL ANYWHERE? We can stop at the pharmacy for pain medication if you want, JUST TELL ME GOD DAMNIT HEBE, STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME BE THE BAD GUY AND TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!”

“No... It’s okay... I think my body is slowing down because I haven’t ate anything... Really... It’s true.... Why would I lie to you?”

“If you still feel pain anywhere, I will not drive past the hospital. Got it?” Hebe nodded as Mike drove to the safe house were Calvin, Jiro and Mr. Wu was staying at.

 

.

.

 

 

When they got there, Mike quickly parked his car at a safe distance and took out his phone. Punching in some numbers as they wait for someone to pick up the phone. After a couple of rings, the line  got connected, the person on the other line received the call but disconnected. Mike put his phone down and watch Calvin, Jiro and Mr. Wu run out of the house in a hurry. Then he started the engine and drove off right after they witness them get into Jiro’s car. Hebe’s hands were still on her heart, monitoring her heart rate as she rubbed it. The pain didn’t come back but there was something that disturbed her, whatever it was, it left a long lingering feeling after the pain stopped.

Then Mike ran his fingers through his long list of contacts and called the number he desperately searched for through his list of contacts. He waited for the call to be picked up... and when it did, he was about to end the call, just like what Jiro and Calvin did but he froze when an unfamiliar voice answered the call. Who is this?

“Who’s this?” Mike remained silent as he listened to the voice. “A unknown number? Who could it be?” The voice went on again, this time, questioning where the call was coming from. “Whoever you are, speak up!” Mike remained silent as the person ended the call abruptly. When the line went cold, Mike quickly accelerated out of the neighbourhood. “W–What’s wr–wrong?” Mike became silent, debating whether or not to tell Hebe. No, he was going to wait until he got there to see if his suspicions were true.

“Calvin, Jiro and your father are going to meet Gui and Aaron back at the house. In the meantime, we are going to go and check on Wu Chun and Uncle Wu. But before we go, let’s go and buy medicine for you.”

“I don’t need any medicine!”

“Hebe, calm down. Just listen to me and wait quietly.”

“But–“

“Hebe.” When they look at one another, Hebe lost her will to argue so she settle down and look out the window. “Fine, I trust you Mike so do whatever you want but hurry, I want to see my family.”

 

................

 

 

When Mike finally reach the safe house that Wu Chun and Uncle Wu were staying at. He proceeded to dial the same number as before but his face went pale when a group of men walked out of the house. In a flash, he quickly lean over, hug onto Hebe tightly as his head turn slowly to watch the men got into their cars with Uncle Wu and Wu Chun. And that’s when he knew it, his suspicions were correct.

“Sh!t.” Mike cursed under his breath. “W–W–What?” Mike got out of his car and leaned against his car, rubbing his temple in frustration as he kicked his tires angrily. Then he slammed his fists on the roof of his car, completely and utterly lost for words. and that's when Hebe's fear heightened, ‘Something was wrong.’ Hebe got out of the car, glancing over to Mike who was throwing his frustrations out like he was a back in his teenage years. “You cherish your car like it was your life, why are you suddenly acting like this?”

“Hebe...” She look at the house, wondering if it had anything to with why he was acting like this. Her eyes widen when her mind began picking up the mixed signals that she was receiving and combining it with Mike’s drastic change. She was about to walk over to the house when Mike notice someone else walking out of the house, he quickly grabbed her hand and pinned her against his car. His back shielding her from whoever it is that came out of the house. She had no idea who it was and neither does he, all he knows is that he needed to protect her.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING MIK–“ He leaned in and gave her a passionate kiss that had the magic to stop any train of thoughts. She knew he was rough but this was the first time he had treat her like this. Being treated like this was undesirable, she felt used.

Meanwhile from afar, the man who walked out took a glance around his surrounding one last time and a playful smile graced his face as his eyes fell upon a couple making out not too far off. He knew it was better not to pry but his actions got the best of him so he whistled before getting into the car. From the corner of Mike’s eye, when the car was out of sight, he slowly break their kiss, only to get slapped by Hebe whose face was stained with tears. “Hebe.. I’m sorry. What I had done to you... right now.. it’s–“

“HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME? YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW FRAGILE I AM! ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW! HOW CAN YOU PULL THIS ON ME?”

“I’m sorry... At that moment, I had no choice.”

“NO CHOICE? THERE WAS ALWAYS A SECOND DOOR! YOU JUST WANT TO TURN INTO A DEMON AND DO THIS TO ME!”

Hebe... It’s not like this. Listen to me, HEBE! I REALLY DIDN’T MEAN TO!” Hebe ignored him as she made her way to the safe house. Wanting to see Uncle Wu as soon as she possible, everything was taking a toll on her and if she can lessen the time, then she would. Mike on the other hand was left flabbergasted. No one has slapped him, no one had ever done such a thing to him. She was the first girl, to ever do it. Even though she slapped him, it was better than letting her see who came out of the house.  

As Hebe continue to walk closer and closer to the house, she knew that if she was to stay with him for a moment longer, she didn’t know what both of them would do. She was scared, afraid at what he was going to do next and what she was going to do. Her emotions were all over the place and if it were to escalate, it would be beyond her control.

In Hebe’s mind, trying to maintain distance between them was her solution but for Mike, there was a different scenario playing in his mind. The closer Hebe got to the safe house, the more Mike’s conscience reacted to the situation. So Mike quickly turn around and ran over to her. She felt him grab onto her hand, stopping her, again.

“WHY? WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? I WANT TO SEE UNCL–” He needed to say it, the more he tries to go around the truth, the more it will distance her from him and hat this point, he didn't know which path to choose. Telling her the truth or spilling out white lies, which one would hurt more? But what if the truth is too hard for her handle? Is it safe to say that he was afraid of what the truth is going to do to her? She has been yearning for her family for so long and to hear the truth isn’t going to make rainbows and unicorns magically appear. It was going to set fire and he knew it. What would one do in this situation? Maybe telling the truth is necessary. She is an emotional wreck and he didn't need to pour oil into her flame so just maybe... hearing the truth is probably the best solution for him. Whether or not it would be in her best interest, she needs to know the truth.

“They took him.”

“W–What? W–What D–Did Yo–You S–Say?” Hebe punch his chest in a playful manner. But the longer he didn’t say anything, the harder she hit him. The playfulness left her mind and in return, it brought out her worst fears. “WH–WHAT DI–DID YOU JUST SAY?” Hebe was on the verge of a mental breakdown. “WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST S–“

No... They... No... This can’t be...

Was this the reason why my heart began to ache?

Was it because of this?

WAS IT?

She has reached her limit. She felt her energy make a quick escape as she caught his eyes. His eyes were screaming sorry to her but all she could make out from it was sadness. Due to the news, it was made a knots in her stomach as her legs finally give in. Just in time, mike caught her just before she crashed onto the floor. Hebe burst into tears as Mike tightened his grip on her. “WHY!? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! WHY?”

 

Why...

 

 

................

 

 

 

It was a matter of time when they finally got home, Hebe has regained her state of mind but she was still tired. She desperately wanted to see her family again, be together as a whole, a family was all she can ever ask for. A wish that she would pray about every night, every hour, every minute, every second since the night they choose to split up. But now, that wish of being together as a whole was drifting further and further away from her. She lost a part of her soul when she found out that one of her family has been captured. What else can go wrong?

Once they got back to the house, Mike open the door to see Jiro and Calvin greet them, but the sought-after joyous occasion turned upside down once Mike and Hebe step into the house. Jiro and Calvin held an serious expression when they greeted Hebe and Mike—with a painful face.

“A simple ‘welcome home guys!’ will be great.” After a awkward silence between them, Mike froze when he sensed the serious atmosphere.

‘Something has happened,’ they were usually the duo with a cheerful face that made jokes everywhere they went but the Jiro and Calvin who was standing before them, ‘something must’ve happened!’

“What’s wrong with you guys?” Mike asked as Hebe stared up at them. “WHAT IS IT?” Mike demanded as Calvin scratch his head, contemplating on whether or not to move to the side. They were blocking his view so that neither Hebe and Mike knew what was happening behind them. They had hoped that Mike would calm down but as the silence was beginning to turn into aggression, Jiro and Calvin nudge one another but Mike that only ticked Mike off. In addition to the sullen atmosphere, he look around to see the house completely trashed. In an effortless attempt, he push through them effortlessly as his eyes fell on Mr. Wu who was putting ointment on... his younger brother, Aaron. When Hebe stepped out from behind Mike, she gasp as they saw Aaron in pain.