Chapter Twenty-Eight

Imprinted Signature

 

 

28

 

 

“Got it, in the meantime, do not do anything stupid until I give out my order.”

Xiao Xun hung up as she anxiously nibbled on her thumb, like a lion waiting for her prey. No matter how many angles she tried to destress, she couldn’t find any spot to be comfortable in. Her assistant knew that she couldn’t stay still, he has known her for far too long. He already knew most of her habits.

“What’s wrong?” Xiao Xun suddenly got up and kicked the garbage not once, but twice. In a flash, her assistant held her back. Stopping her from doing any more damage then she could do. She has always kept her personal and business life separately but at the moment, she couldn’t help think about her brothers. They always knew how to make their problems hers, even if she tried everything she could to block it. 

“Tell me, what’s wrong. If it’s about the fact that Mr. Yan is coming back and if it’s because he told me to pass the message to you but I seemed to forget to t–“

Xiao Xun eyes widen. “W–What d–did you just say? Mr. Yan... HE IS COMING BACK TODAY? HOW CAN YOU FORGET TO TELL ME THAT TODAY HE WAS–”

“Albee! What a pleasant surprise to see you!” She quickly turned around to see Mr. Yan standing at the door, walking into the room with a pleasant expression. “M–Mr. Yan!”

“Miss. Albee Xiao Xun. How do you do? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost, are you alright child?”

“Mr. Yan, Xiao Xun has been anxiously waiting for you all morning! Right?” She quickly closed the blinds and locked the door before making sure she told them what has been on her mind. While her assistant and Mr. Yan stared at her, slightly but pleasantly shocked by the sudden secrecy. “What is this about?” Mr. Yan eyed the assistant who shrugged, he; too was just as confused as he was. 

“Xiao Xun, is this your way of greeting someone who just came back? Did you forget that he is OUR BOSS?”

“Mr. Yan.” Mr. Yan found it strange when he announced his arrival to Albee who usually greets him with a huge, doll-like smile, something must’ve came up. He signalled her to proceed. 

“You told me to watch over Mike and Aaron, correct? Okay, I had some of our men watch over them. Just minutes before you came into the room, I got a call from the men I ordered to watch over them. As instructed, if there was anything suspicious or out of order, I told them to call me as soon as possible.” Mr. Yan knew from her tone of voice that this wouldn’t be music to his ears so he signalled her to proceed. Albee wishes there was a hole right in the middle of the room so that she can crawl into. But this was something Mr. Yan will have to know so it was better to tell him what happened between Aaron and Mike while he was away on business. So here goes nothing.

“There was a group of men who barged into the house and took Miss. Wu Ying Jie.”

“WHAT?”

“That’s not all, Aaron is injured badly. Also, the other men who was at the other destinations said that the same thing happened. As of right now, Miss. Wu Ying Jie, Mr. Wilson Wu (Uncle Wu), and Wu Chun have also been taken.”

“WHAT?” The assistant looked over to Mr. Yan who was boiling inside. “I will think of something. Keep your focus on this and notify me immediately if something else comes up.”

“Yes Mr. Yan.” 

Xiao Xun and the assistant nodded as they watch the furious Mr. Yan run out of the office. 

 

 

................

 

 

When Mr. Yan ran into his office, he told his secretary not to let anyone in, regardless if they are demanding to see him. For the next hour, he will see absolutely no one. 

The secretary nodded as Mr. Yan walked over to the window, glancing at the city. 

 

 

Flashback

 

During their years in university, the three of them were the best of friends. It was no lie that he held onto their friendship close, he cherished what they had. Even though he knew VanNess confessed to Ady An, he watched his two best friends hold hands and whisper words of endearment to one another, even if he secretly held onto his own feelings for her, it wasn’t his to hold. From receiving their engagement letter to being the best man for VanNess as he watch them walk down the isle together, the three of them were still the best of friends.

Since when did they fall so far?

 

7 years ago, just moments before the news and reporters broadcast an important news update, Chris Yan has received an call from Ady An. 

*Ring*Ring*Ring*

Chris lifted his eyes away from his business documents to answer the call, it was 11:00 p.m. Who could be calling at this time?

If he knew that by answering this call, it would change his life, he wished he had the power to do something about it. If he has been given a chance to go back and answer the call, would things be different? Regardless of what will happen, he would’ve answer it. 

“ADY?! WHAT’S WRONG?! WHY DOES YOUR VOICE SOUND LIKE THIS?”

“Chris can you promise me something?”

“Ady where’s VanNess? Does VanNess know your calling me? But seriously, why is your voice like this? What are–-Where are you?!”

“Chris VanNess he, no... I don’t want to worry him with this so that’s why I am calling you. You and I know that he doesn’t like to trouble others with our issue. But this time, I am begging you as one of my dear friend, I want to talk to you.”

Mr. Yan looked over at his two boys, smiling through the picture frame that was placed on his desk. It has been a couple of months since they last saw each other. If he could recall, they scheduled in a play date, Aaron and Mike couldn’t stop talking about it. ‘It’s 11:00 PM, they are probably having a nice dream right?’

“If you are in trouble, tell me right now. What is it?”

“It’s because I trust you, even though VanNess doesn’t say it, he trusts you too. That’s why he probably didn’t want to call you about this. He’s afraid that you will jump in with him.” Mr. Yan nods, acknowledging his friend’s stubbornness. “Something has happened! I cannot tell you all the details but can you promise me that when VanNess and my eyes aren’t there, can you be our guardian angel that will always be there for my girls?”

“Ady, what happened?” As Chris continues to question her, his eyes met the TV screen and thats when he shattered.

“A–ADY.... WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS HAPPENING?”

“Chris, I’m sorry… I’m so sorrry!!”

“ADY!”

“CAN YOU PROMISE ME? CHRIS!”

Mr. Yan dropped down on the chair, watching the news go on and on about some drug and underground activities. At first, it wasn’t interesting but when the announcer gave out a list of possible suspects, it was like someone hit him over and over again. What on Earth is going on? He could hear Ady voice cracking as she covered , trying to cover the sound of her cries. Thats when his heart broke more, they have grown up together, he could almost picture her covering as she cried.

“Ady...”  He closed the TV and ran his hand through his hair. “I promise you, I will do everything I can to protect my two best friends and their daughters. You know I treat Fu Chen and Ying Jie like my own daughters, how can I turn a blind eye when I know they are in trouble? I promise, I will do everything I can to protect you guys.”

“Thank... you... Chris...”

“Ady... just be careful. Tell VanNess that whenever he is in trouble, call me.”

“Chris... Th–Thank y–you... I–I d–d–don’t even know ho–“

“Ady... Stop thanking me. The 3 of us have been friends for so long so if you guys are in trouble, I will do anything to help you go through with this. And I am sure VanNess would do the same, knowing how much of a softie he is.”

“Chris...”

“Ady, be careful and take care of VanNess for me.”

“I hope this isn’t the last time we hear from you, but for now, bye Chris and thank you so much for accepting my selfish request.”

“Ady, please be careful!” When the line got cut off, Mr. Yan walked into his son’s room. Watching them with a sorrowful expression as a smile appeared on his two boy’s face. He can’t help but smile too.

“What kind of dream are you guys dreaming off with such a big smile on your face?” The next morning, it was all about the recent activity the police magnificently caught. News about his two best friends replayed repeatedly, like an never-ending song. 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

................

 

 

Mike woke up earlier then usual. He hasn’t been sleeping long these days anyway, all this twisting and turning, there are too much things on his mind to sleep. Asleep or not, neither gave him a peace of mind. 

“Hey, do you know where Aaron went? I got up this morning wanting to go ask him.” He looked over to see Calvin by the door, with a concerned look. “Isn’t he still sleeping? It’s 8 AM. and knowing Aaron, he doesn’t wake up this early.”

“Well, he isn’t there. I’ll ask around but if my suspicion is right, I think he left.” Calvin close the door and that was when Mike got out of his warm bed. He walked out of his room and went straight to the kitchen to see Hebe sitting on the couch where Aaron was laying last night. He could hear voices behind him frantically asking if Aaron was anywhere.

“Hebe.”  It was like all her energy left her body, she looked lifeless. Mike came around and sat beside her as he took a look at the piece of paper that was in her hand. “Found him yet?”

“He’s not in his room, not on the couch, not downstairs, he’s not here.” Curious, Calvin and Jiro walked into the room where Mike and Hebe was in. They looked over their shoulders and sensed the change of mood. “Why are you so gloomy? It’s MORNING TIME!”  Jiro cried out just in time to see Calvin looking at the piece of paper in Mike’s hand and read it out loud, thinking it was a love letter from Hebe.

 

 

I can’t eat, sleep or think straight knowing that this is my fault. If only I was stronger, I could’ve protected her. I’m going to find her. I will be cautious so don’t worry about me. Keep Hebe and Mr. Wu safe, I know you guys can do it.

 

 

Calvin ran his hands through his hair as he sat down beside Hebe. “That jerk! He wants to be the one who gets all the glory huh? What part of ‘friends’ or ‘work together as a team’ doesn’t he get?”

Mike quickly took out his cellphone, punching in the untraceable number that links them to Aaron but the call went to his voicemail. 

“JUST WHAT THE HECK IS HE THINK HE IS DOING? HE CAN’T GO UP AGAINST THEM!” Mr. Wu squeezed his shoulder, signalling him that it was okay. “DAD!” Hebe yelled out as she ran over and held him. 

“I believe Ya Lun is acting like this because of his emotions. But if we don’t believe in him, there’s no way we can believe he will be safe. Our only option is to pray that he safe and sound.” He turned over to meet his daughter, Hebe’s eyes. “And darling, it’s going to be okay. Fo your sake, let’s believe in him.” Then Hebe eyes met Mike’s, as she searched for reassurance. Deep down, no matter how furious she was that her sister was all alone, there should be hope somewhere.

 

 

................

 

 

Aaron clenched onto the gold chain that he brilliantly took off from one of the men that ambushed him. He knew that it was possible to trace jewelry to the owner but it didn’t occur how difficult it would be for him to do that. But despite this problem, he is determined to find the owner.

Just as he was about to walk in to his second shop, he stops in his tracks to see someone block his way.  There standing in front of him was a girl around his age, her trench coat still had the lingering scent of Espresso. With her hair tied in a high ponytail, the sound of her heels brought him back as she made her way towards him. Given how beautiful she was, people around them were busy complimenting on her while some did the same for Aaron. 

“Are they together?”

“They are so pretty together!”

As they looked at one another, it was just another encounter. There wasn’t anything happening between them and it was enough to catch Angela’s heart. “Long time no see, Aaron Yan.” Angela wraps her arms around him with the biggest smile.

“As I always say, beautiful people end up together anyways, let’s go.”

One by one, the people around them went back to their busy lives. Standing underneath the beating sun, the clouds and the slight wind through them, stood the two people who were not meant to be. Well, at least not at the moment anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

AN                

How long has it been since I last updated? I have been meaning to finish this story years ago but I haven't been able to.

Having said that, I am back now. If I still have any readers or not, I am focused to updating this one. If my plans go well, 

I will be updating from here on out till the end of the year (or sooner). If I still have any readers, a super gigantic THANK YOU

for bearing with me! Lookout for my next update guys, till next time.