Chapter Thirty-Three

Imprinted Signature

 

 

 

33

 

ANGELA QIU'S POV

 

 

Cinderella, is this why girls dream endlessly to have a life like yours?

Cinderella, can you tell me how you feel when your fairy godmother helped you?

Is it this the feeling? I feel like the most beautiful girl.

But, the only difference between Cinderella and I is that she has a prince and I do not.

 

 

I knew who he was and how he liked to live his life. My acquaintances went on to talk on and on about this one guy who managed to get on everyones radar. Story has it; he was hot, handsome, gorgeous, a wild animal. And despite all of those things, he was an notorious charmer. I concluded, in my mind, he wasn’t my type, period (at least that’s what I thought), period.

One fateful day, our families introduced us and I met him for the very first time. Sure his name has been mentioned one or two times but I was never fixated on him. At that very moment, I knew we held different lifestyles. He was the playboy and I was the reporter, he was an heir while I was daughter of a gang lord. Our paths shouldn’t have crossed. Mistake number one. 

I have never doubted my actions and decisions before. Not once did I change myself for anyone else other than my family, but there was a first for everything right? I kept denying, and denying, AND denying my feelings. I made an oath not to let my emotions get the best of me. *sigh* and look where I am. I am breaking my oath and stopped denying my feelings for him. Mistake number two.

But just this once, allow me to be an princess. Give me one moment worth a lifetime of endless praises and endearment.

 

 

Did I just turn mute or something? My mind was telling me to break this silence between us but nothing came out, first it was my heart... now it’s my voice, why aren’t you listening to me?

I don’t recall who broke the distance between us but I do remember watching him walk over to me, opening a velvet box in front of me. He placed the box on the stool and unhooked the chain to the necklace. I could feel my heart beating faster and faster when I felt the silver chain hang from my neck. I gasped as I found myself turning back to the mirror to gaze in awe.

“What kind of party is it?” I swallowed my nervousness back. “My friend is throwing a welcome back party for one of my best friends who just came back from America, she’s a lawyer.”

“Why choose me?”

“You are my type Mr. Aaron Yan.”

“And I said it before didn’t I?” He saw her eyes flicker for a second. “Don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not your type but that doesn’t mean that you aren’t.” She heard him chuckle. “Aren’t I lucky then? I managed to get 6 hours with a player who said I wasn’t his type, I think I am pretty darn lucky.”

His lips curve into a flirtatious one. “So you like Aaron Yan ‘the player?’ Isn’t that a little too far out of your territory Miss. Qiu?” I shook my head. “Sometimes, it’s better to break that line and step out for once.”

“What if I get drunk and do things that you didn’t want me to do?”

Try me, I have mastered martial arts.” Aaron’s grin got wider as she successfully captured his full attention. “What a coincidence, I have one too.”

*Knock*

Aaron and I turn to see Ya Tou walking in with a shoe box. “I forgot to give you this.” Ya Tou made her way over to me, lifting the lid off the box to reveal a set of black heels. 

“Ya Tou, allow me.” Aaron took the heels out of the box, I sat down and he knelt down in front of me. I exclaimed while Ya Tou blushed madly, standing aside as she quietly watched us. “I will get a camera and take a picture!” I continue to stare at him, was this a player’s intuition or was it Aaron’s gentlemen ruse?

“I am confused, why are you doing this?”

“I promised that I will give 6 hours of my time for you, if you fell in love with the player side of me, then the least I could do is step into my player side and do things with you from my player’s side. Isn’t that the deal?” I continue to stare at him as he adjusted the straps on the black heels. “What makes you think that I prefer the player side of Aaron Yan versus the average, normal Aaron Yan?”

Answer: I like them both.

“You’re like an open book that I can read... and that’s why I said you weren’t my type.” He got up and offered his hand. “Let’s get this party over with shall we?”

When my hand landed on his, he helped me up and smirks. Damn him.. Is he trying to make me have a heart attack? Ya Tou came back and held the camera in front of us. I tried my best to find my best smile, but my expression changed once Aaron pulled me closer to him. I looked up at him as he went on to take the picture. “Seriously Angela, where did you find this hunk? HE IS SO DIE FOR~” I shot her a death glare as she smiled happily. “I will send the pictures to you, go and have fun guys!”

“It was nice to meet you, Miss. Ya Tou.”

“Back at you Mr. Yan!” I smiled over to him as he held my hand while we made our way down the steps. He opened the car door for me as I stepped inside. I took a glance out the window to see Ya Tou waving to us before the car drove to the venue.

During the ride to the party, we exchanged a few words, including what to expect when we get there. Luckily for him, he adapts to situations easily so it wasn’t difficult for him.

When we got there, we both stepped out of the car with my arm on his, we both made our way inside to see people checking invitations just before heading in. I gave my invitation to the man who was accepting them and he checked me off the list of people who has arrive. Then he looks over to Aaron, I smiled. 

“He’s my date.”

“ANGELA! I thought I would have to kidnap you, what took you so long– OH~ I GET IT! Gettin’ some before greeting everyone huh?”

I found myself glancing around the ballroom, admiring it’s exquisite interior. The room was white and gold, it had the renaissance feel to it. It was like an enchanted ballroom fit for royalty.

I stared at the petite girl who had a bob cut, standing in front of me in a light blue bubble dress as she squealed. I was ready to speak when I felt Aaron’s arm wrap around my waist. “I’m Aaron, it’s nice to meet you.” When he held his hand out, my friend didn’t hesitate to shake his hand. “Oh Angela~ Where on earth did you find him?”

"Believe it or not, I was the one who—” He finished it for her. “—I found her first, isn’t that right?” I looked over at him, STOP! I have to stop myself from liking you more. My friend in front of us blushed, excusing herself.

“What was that?!”

“What?”

‘WHAT?’ IS THAT ALL HE CAN SAY?

“Miss Angela, there’s no need to worry. I just said what I wanted to say.”

“I was the one who persuaded you to be my date.”

Aaron smiles, taking a drink out of his glass. “For tonight, let’s not worry about the details. I rarely like parties like this but because I’m doing it for you, the least we can do is enjoy the night right?”

I smile. He’s got a point. 

“WHAT A COINSIDENCE, I, too am not too fond of parties either.”

We turn to see someone making his way over to us. My eyes widen as I see Sheng Yi dressed in a black suit. Next to him was one of Ao Long’s infamous men, Ah Wei. He, too was dressed in a black tux but he left some of his buttons exposed.

“My My, you are just so beautiful Miss. Angela~ and I thought I would have you all to myself tonight?” Ah Wei sneered and I felt Aaron’s hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly before I heard him chuckle. “He’s your boyfriend? Care to introduce us?”

“This is Mr. Yan and this is Mr—”

“Ah Wei. Just Ah Wei.” Ah Wei finished as they shook hands.

“So, you’re Angela’s date?” Aaron nods as Sheng Yi looks over to me who was avoiding his eyes at all costs.

“So what do you do Mr. Yan?”

“Business. How about you?”

“What a coincidence, I am in business too. Probably not in the same field as you but if time is nice to us, we will meet someday.” He clicks his tongue, excitedly. “Ah Yan, you must be one of the heir’s to Yan Corp. I have a few friends that works in that industry as well.”

“Oh? I apologize for not knowing what you—”

“My business is small. We’re not as famous as you are Mr. Yan.”

Ah Wei laughs as he looks over to Angela who had been sending him death glares during the entire conversation. “It’s been a pleasure to meet you Aaron. And if you’ll excuse me now, I have to make my rounds. Enjoy yourself. Oh, it’s unfortunate I forgot my business card so you can call me up through Angela or Sheng Yi.”

Ah Wei smirks as he walked away. Sheng Yi sighs, crossing his arms while his eyes wander to Aaron and Angela. “Stop staring already, you are already burning holes in my face!” He couldn’t help but laugh. “Well anyways, how is it that you came here together?”

“I had to force him to come here, he was so hard to persuade. Luckily, I didn’t give up and he came to me, like a good puppy!”

“Puppy?” Sheng Yi and Aaron asked and I nodded. “Aaron, can you grab me another glass of champagne?”

Aaron took my glass with him and he went off. 

“You’re only hurting yourself in the end, you know who he likes and you’re still trying to be with him? Are you in your right mind?!”

“I KNOW! I FRICKEN KNOW THAT SHENG YI SO STOP SAYING IT! I am trying, I am trying here! My heart and my actions aren’t even listening, I can feel my emotions taking control and yes, I know what the hell I am doing! And still, I want to be with him. Only if it’s just 6 hours, I am still happy.” I looked into his eyes. “Cause I know what the outcome will be. So please let me have my moment where I can dream. Reality is hard to keep up and you guys aren’t making it any easier. I will not ask for much so you can have him after 3 hours is up, he promised to give me his evening. After my 3 hours are up, I will hand him over to you. So please, just give me my moment with him Sheng Yi. I don’t want anything else other than this. And besides, you’re going to take Aaron with you aren’t you?”

“How did you know?”

“I saw Ah Wei here, I guess they didn’t give him much work since he’s loitering around here like a predator. And you Sheng Yi, you don’t normally come to these events. So I knew, you are counting the time you have until anything goes wrong.”

“Smart as always sis!” I playfully punched him in the arm, “You just figured it out? My IQ has always been higher than yours.”

“But not smarter than Ge’s!” I punched him in the stomach this time as he winced in pain, clutching onto his stomach as I smirked. 

“But you were always a better fighter than Ge and I!” He added as I smiled in victory. “When the time comes, I will meet you at our usual place tonight, don’t forget to bring him.”

When I nodded, Aaron came back, handing me my glass of champagne before looking to Sheng Yi who accursedly pointed at me. “Make sure you keep her on a leash!”

“Did she hit you?”

“It was self-defence.” I quickly added as I smirked over at Sheng Yi who as glaring at me. “Aren’t you guys siblings?” Aaron asked as Sheng Yi straightened himself, putting his arm on my shoulder.

“It might be weird to you but that’s how we express our feelings.”

“Let’s go and dance!” I said to Aaron, holding onto his hand as we made our way to the dance floor. I could hear him sigh as he wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me close. 

“This isn’t your first time is it?”

“Do you believe it’s my first time?”

“I believe you’re playing with me.”

“Playing you? What makes you think that?” I glanced at him as he leaned in to whisper. “Miss. Angela, I was not lying when I said that you were beautiful tonight.” My heart continues to race. “But not next to me, at times, you can shine brighter then the sun.” There was a short pause. “C–C–Can’t that b–be y–y–you?” My lips uttered the words that I regretted saying.

I can feel his lips curve into a smile as he loosen the grip he had around my waist. As the music continue to play, I could feel time slowly down, just for us... no, me, just for me.

“Do you remember when you said that I will fly across the world for one girl? It turns out that you were right.” I wanted to cover my ears. I really, reeeaaalllllyyyy did not want to hear it. “To be honest with you, even if the whole world was against us being together, even if she pushes me away, or if she runs away, I will do everything I can to bring her back. Because without her, I am useless. I have asked you earlier, what is the difference between reality and dreams. Now which world would you prefer to live in?”

“Aaron...”

“For girls, everyone want to have that perfect moment when their prince shows up, sweep them off their feet and whisk them into happy ever after. I have asked myself a dozen times, what world am I living in? And truthfully, here is where we draw our line.” I looked up at him, questioning this. “You choose the world of dreams right? Even if you are a reporter, chasing after incident reports is like a game of tag to you. But deep inside, you want to believe in miracles.” 

I hesitated, I didn’t know what to say... he was right.

“I have always held realities hand. I can’t afford to dream, not when I am fighting. My world is covered in darkness and I can’t see the light yet.”

Conclusion: I have fallen deep, way too deep in my own illusions and fantasy to come out. ‘Here is where we draw the line?’ The world of Dreams versus the never-ending cycle of Realities. Which one would you choose?

As the music slowly fades away, the two distant individuals find themselves counting the tim left between them. “I guess the only relationship we can have after tonight would be friends.”

Friends... Why does it sound so hard for me to say it? This is what’s left of us, after tonight, everything will go back to the way it was. Back to my life where I chase after reality and to dream of a fairytale. 

I could feel his breath on my skin, it still had the power to make me powerless. Friends.” When he whispered the words of endearment, my lips curve into a smile as my eyes began to blur. I tried blinking them away as it got too blurry, I gave up and closed my eyes. Praying that this moment will forever play in the deepest part of my memory. Mistake number three.

“This is like a dream... I have always wondered what it was like to feel time freeze when you’re with someone. Thanks to you, I found it.”

 

 

 

Cinderella had until midnight to come back home before everything changes back to the way it was before.

I had until 6 hours to dream. But despite our different situation, we are quite similar. 

We both had a strict deadline.

 

 

 

END OF POV.