Chapter Three

Imprinted Signature

 

3

 

 

“She is still having nightmares?”

Mr. Wu asked as Hebe nodded. After Gui Gui calmed down, it didn’t take Gui Gui long for her to bring herself back to reality.

Mr. Wu rubbed his temples, exhausted from everything that has happened to them for the last 7 years. For 7 years, they have ran away from the society. Afraid of what would happen if anyone found them. Taipei has been on intense lock down as everyone had to go through security checks, making sure that everyone and anyone who seems suspicious were reported.

Taipei.. no, Taiwan was on a national lockdown.

“I don’t know what we can do... “

Hebe whispered as she saw him take out their renewed passports. After the report made 7 years ago, they were staying at a good friend of Mr. Wu. He made it possible for them to live with him, long enough for everything to settle down. Mr. Wu walked over to his dear friend and smiled, repeatedly thanking him every time he sees him. While Uncle Wu was constantly updating himself on the news, just in case if anything happens, he would know.

He handed Hebe and Even’s new passport, she took a long glance at it, it felt so wrong. This was all wrong. They haven’t done anything and yet, they were forced out of their own home like unwanted people. But despite the situation, she decided to keep the truth hidden, as long as no one finds out about them, she could only obey and keep their identity locked up.

“Dad... I got invited to a party... Ella and Selina invited me.. we are going to go–“

Mr. Wu gave a stern look at Hebe. She knew what he was going to say but she couldn’t help asking him anyways. She wanted to go out, breathe the fresh air. She couldn’t function properly if she was locked up in this small room.

“Honey.. I know what you’re feeling. I understand. But given our situation.. I don’t think it’s safe to go anywhere for the time being.”

“Please? I promise I will only be out for 2 hours max, I will come back quietly. It’s just one night!”

Hebe continued to plead as Mr. Wu stare at her daughter. He looked at her daughter, she has been doing everything she could to not get noticed. Afraid of endangering herself and her sister, how could he say no to her?

“Promise me you’ll be extra careful.”

“I promise.”

“Be safe okay? I already lost one of my girls, I don’t want to lose you too.” He deeply whispered.

“I love you daddy.”

She kissed him on the cheek before running back upstairs. Mr. Wu chuckled as he held up their family portrait. His smile slowly disappeared as his eyes landed on his beloved deceased wife. He put his hand on top of his heart and whispered

My dear, our children are growing up to become beauties, just like you. I could only wish that their beauty don’t attract unwanted attention. Keep them safe wherever you are, I’m sure you are keeping an eye out for us darling. I miss you terribly.”

 

 

................

 

 

When Gui Gui came out of the washroom with a towel wrapped around her petite body. Hebe smiled widely as she held out the clothes for Gui Gui to change into. Gui Gui took the clothes, putting it on as she turned around to do so. When she did, Hebe could feel her heart tie into knots as it felt like someone is suffocating her. She slowly walked over to Gui, her hands shaking as her hands slowly touched her back. Gui gasped as she turned to see Hebe’s eyes, she was crying.

Hebe was a strong girl, she kept everything inside her but Gui knew that whenever she is alone, she would let herself cry, by herself.

Hebe was Gui’s role model, she loved everything about her. Courage, bravery, beauty, outlook on everything that happened to them, she has always been so strong that it made Gui admire her deeply.

As Hebe’s fingers touched Gui’s back, Hebe could feel her tears streaming down her face. The 7 years haven’t been easy, it was the past that will keep haunting them. As long as there are traces of who was involved, it will keep haunting them.

Gui slowly turned around and hugged Hebe, telling her it was okay to let it out.

Hebe’s eyes met the mirror in front of them. Her eyes continue to stare into the reflection and that’s when her legs gave up, so she dropped down to the floor, crying as she wrapped her arms around her sister. Hebe was not crying because of their situation, but these tears came because of what they done to her. She kept telling herself to stay strong, stronger than she was 7 years ago. Because what’s done is done.

There was nothing that they could do to rewind time, there was only one choice and that was to survive and stay hidden at all costs.

“Does it still hurt?”

Hebe softly asked as Gui Gui shook her head, closing her eyes as she turned her head to see Hebe staring at the reflection at the mirror. There it was, tattooed on her back were the words forever engraved in her porcelain skin: Belladonna.