CHAPTER 38

Lost Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sohee:

The weekend passed by in a blink with us girls spending it all on movies marathon and catching up with dramas. The guys were cribbing about not getting time to spend with their girlfriends but they seem to be having a fun of their own too. It was the start of the new week but there was no news of Byunnie. His friends though were another case; they all seem to have calmed down and were having fun like they used to before.

During lunch, we all gathered at our table and talked about our weekend. The guys seem to have gone on an arcade bar hopping. They all looked happy but worn out. I was engrossed in the discussion about the drama's lead, deciding who was better when I was tapped on my shoulder.

“Sohee-ah, do you have a moment?” Myungsoo asked, smiling at my
friends.

“Yeah sure.” I replied excusing myself from the group.

We walked out the cafeteria and towards the bleachers. There were a few people scattered eating their lunch in groups. We sat down in a far corner away from them. We both sat I silence, I was waiting for him to say something to break the awkward silence that surrounded us.

He cleared his throat and said “So, I came here only for an exchange program. The time will be up soon and when the next month will be over I’ll go back to the States alone. My school is actually having a summer break so a few of us decided to join this program and thought if it turns out well we would extend our stay.”

“Oh.” I hummed, I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to say in this situation. My mind was completely blank.

“I know you must be confused cause Dad and Mom have shifted here
permanently already. It’s just me who’ll be going back to complete my studies. I didn’t want to separate from my friends. I just wanted to tell you something before I go back, though. You know that when we were kids we made a promise to always be together and someday get married.” He broke out in laughter but looking at him I can see that it didn’t reach his eyes. “I know I missed my chance already. You are still in love with him, right? You don’t have to lie to comfort me, it’ll only give me false hope.”

“I…I… I just can’t seem to get over it, even if it’s been years already. I’m a fool, right? I've tried everything I can but it seems like, I really only fall for idiots.” I ended with a joke, trying my best to keep the tears that were building up.

“You’re not the only one. Maybe that’s why we are still best of friends. I know what I’m going to say will make you feel weird but I must get it off my chest. I want to really move on and return to being best of friends.” He sighed, taking a deep breath he continued. “Sohee we’ve been childhood friends and have always been dependent on each other. I didn't realise until much later that the feelings I had for you were more than friends. It was too late, though; I had already moved to the States and you were here. I have been in love with you for a long time now.”

“Soo-ah, I'm really sorry. I really… wished that I could feel the same. I love you, I do but… only as friends. I hope that we can remain as best of friends, maybe not right now but… you know what I mean. You've been the one thing that has been constant… in my life. I don't want to let you go.” I replied sniffling.

“I'm sorry too. I'm not going anywhere; I'll just be like how we were just a call away. But I think we'll have to take a break for some time. It won't be forever but just some time to get over you.” He smiled with glistening eyes, broken-hearted.

“I know, I'll wait for you.” I replied hugging him close.

“Yeah.” He hummed into the hug.

The two of us were busy talking it all out and sobbing to our heart's content. We missed our classes and just sat together preparing ourselves for the change that's about to come. By the time the end bell rang the both of us had calmed down but our eyes were puffy red with nose raw red from rubbing too much. When our friends came to give back our stuff, they were stunt and didn't know how to react. Even though the two of us were laughing at something but our faces said that we have been crying too. They just let it be since the two of us were smiling and having fun reminiscing our past. They all were looking at us weirdly the whole day afterwards.

The both of us spent the rest of the day roaming the streets with our friends. We went to a karaoke place and took turns singing and dancing. We also went to the night market to hog all the food possible. It was like we were on a holiday. We all spent time remembering the old days, laughing at ourselves for stupid things that we all did. It was amazing since it's been so long that we all relaxed and took our time to enjoy life. I've been tensed and stressed since Byunghyun’s return. Today was like a break to reset me and regain my strength. I will be needing it a lot in the future I guess. I looked around admiring the stars twinkling like disco lights. We were all lying side by side near Han river. We had ordered chicken and drinks. Now we were digesting our food. It was getting late so we all caught our buses and went home. It had been a great day when I reached home I washed up and drifted off to sleep the moment I hit the pillow.

This was the day that made a big impact in my decision for the other big thing that would change my life for better or for worst. I decided to give it a try for one last time. If it doesn't work out again, I'll move on and never ever look back again. But the only one thing that was worrying me more than anything was Byunnie was radio silence and none of his friends was telling anyone anything. It scared me because this might be more than I can chew on. Last time he let me go to keep me safe, what is he up to now? The day went by fast with all the drama and confession. The next day started with a surprise. When I reached the university, there he was leaning on the wall of the entrance waiting for someone. I thought that he was waiting for his friends so when I reached the gate, I simply walked pass by but he pulled me back and started walking in the opposite direction of our supposed destination.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter