Relief

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

 


 

             Hyojung rolled on her bed and it’s only 6.30 am. She couldn’t sleep and she knew she had to wake up before Hyemi barged in. She rose lazily from the bed and tidied it nicely. Being the typical lazy girl she was, she landed herself on the bed again, her forehead wrinkled up. Hyojung kept thinking about her date with Kiseop. She somehow felt their relationship wouldn’t go far. Was it even a relationship? It wasn’t yet but she’s pretty sure Kiseop would tell something to her and made themselves developed feelings towards each other.

            “Eh, you’re early today?” Hyemi suddenly joined her in the bed. Hyojung shrugged lazily and tackled her into a hug.

            “Yeah, you said I have to be early, right?” She pinched her sister’s cheeks and stormed off to the bathroom in case Hyemi would throw objects to her.

            “What a weirdo. And it’s not her to wake up this early.” Hyemi talked to herself. She shook her head and walked out of her sister’s room to have a warm shower.

            Hyojung rushed to the kitchen after she had dressed perfectly for work. She took out all the cooking utensils for the decent breakfast she was going to cook after that. The pot, ladle, rice, chicken, salted eggs, everything was perfectly there and she’s ready to cook. She washed the rice thoroughly and then did the rest perfectly.

            “I expected you to wake up early but I didn’t expect you to cook breakfast.” Hyemi sang as she entered the kitchen. She peeked over Hyojung’s shoulder to see what her sister was cooking.

            “Aish! Prepare the bowls on the table. I’m almost done.” Hyojung gave the porridge a few stirs before turning off the stove.

            “You do know how much I love your chicken porridge and you decided to make it today. God just loves me today. I love you, unnie.” Hyemi hugged Hyojung who was busy pouring the porridge equally into two bowls smiled happily to herself. Both of them sat on the stools and started to dig in soon after.

            “So, how’s it going with Mr. Hottie?” Hyojung almost choked on her porridge. She took a glass of water before gulping it in a rush. She didn’t know that question would come but knowing how nosy Hyemi is, she really had to expect it coming.

            “Uh.. fine. He’s quite a gentleman.” She kept it short. And she didn’t want to tell further about him to Hyemi.

            “Oh, then love him!” Hyemi beamed.

            “It’s not that easy, okay? I still have my future ahead.” Hyojung said, using her career as one of the excuses again. And she thought she’s just not ready for a relationship. She wanted to say it straight to Hyemi’s face but she just couldn’t. She was sure she had to hear more and more lectures from her in which would lead to more visits to Busan. For sure, she didn’t want that.

            “It’s easy! All you have to do is just showing that how much you care for him. Text him, give him a morning call, always ask him about his day. Come on, I know you can do all those things. Don’t tell me you’re too busy to do it.” She shoved a spoonful of porridge into .

             “It seems like only you and Dongho would do that. Both of you are too mushy. And no, I will never do that. They’re only for teenage couples. We’re adults. So, no.” Hyojung finished up her bowl of porridge and proceeded to the sink to wash it.

             “I don’t know what’s wrong with your brain but that’s what everyone does. I think you need to get back to thousands years ago. You and your way of thinking suit there perfectly.” Hyemi teased. Sometimes, she just didn’t understand her sister. Too stubborn and too uptight.

             “Whatever, I’m going to the firm now. Don’t you have… oh wait, you’re on study leave. Take care of our house, please. And don’t bring Dongho in again, I don’t want him to touch my thing.” With that, Hyojung took her briefcase and marched towards the front door.

             “Alright! I won’t let him in!” Hyemi waved at her even though her sister ignored her.

             “But he’s a good boy, so why not letting him in?” she mumbled.

 

             “Kevin, are you coming home for lunch?” Mrs Woo yelled from the kitchen. Kevin was fixing his hair when he heard that. He heaved a deep sigh before strolling downstairs to answer that question.

             “No, mom.” He answered in English. Mrs Woo served the bowl of cereal in front of him and continued doing her housework. The thing he and his friends talked about two days before lingered inside his brain. What if his mother decided to arrange him for a blind date? What if his mother suddenly brought a woman and asked him to marry her even though he didn’t want to?. He hoped the next thing he said wouldn’t cause a ruckus early in the morning.

             “Umma, I think I want to move out and live on my own.” He gulped. His mother instantly turned her head around and took a sit in front of him. Kevin shifted uncomfortably, waiting to get nagged.

             “That’s great!” Mrs Woo beamed. Kevin blinked, he didn’t know her reaction would turn out to be positive.

             “Uh.. you agree to this?” Kevin asked.

             “Yeah, I’ve been waiting for you to say it. Both me and appa actually wanted you to move out since you need more privacy and more space to do your work. Well that’s great, Kevin. Have you searched your new house yet?” She asked sweetly. He still couldn’t believe his parents were actually supporting him. He just spat it out and there you go, both of them agreed immediately.

             “No, not yet. I’m planning to look around the neighborhood near the firm this evening after work. And umma, don’t you worry about your only son living alone in a house?” Kevin asked her once for a confirmation. Mrs Woo nodded without hesitation.

             “Of course not. You’re a big boy. I know you can do everything well. Just don’t forget to visit us once you move out.” She stood up and then went to wash the dirty plates and bowls. Kevin’s eyes widened but slowly relaxed a few moments later. He meant, his mother seemed to always pamper him 29 years non-stop and she let him go just like that? But the most important point is, he didn’t have to listen to constant nagging about marriage and girlfriends anymore!

             “Umma, I’m going.” He back-hugged his mother and planted a kiss on her cheek. Then, he went to the garage to start the engine of his car.

             While waiting for the engine to heat up a little bit, he pulled out his phone from the pocket and started texting Eli. He didn’t want to look for a house alone, plus, he needed some opinion from someone.

             To: Eli

             Message: Hey, I’m looking for a house. To live. I need your opinion, dude. This evening, please?

             He went into his car and started to drive off to his firm. Eli, as usual, was very slow at replying text. Kevin grew frustrated when his phone didn’t emit any light or produced any sound he wanted to hear. Beep beep!

            “Ugh, did you just wake up or what?” He threw his frustration at his phone.

             From: Eli

            Message:  Sure. But you, a momma boy, moving out? How nice. I’ll be there at 6.

            “Shut up.” Kevin chuckled and threw his phone to the seat beside him.

 

            “Hyojung, do you want to eat lunch together with us?” One of her colleagues asked. She didn’t have the appetite anymore after seeing the new case that was seem to be a bit difficult.

            “Sorry, too much work today.” Hyojung grinned. Thank goodness her colleagues understood her and her never-ending work. She felt bad every time she had to reject their offer. But, what to do?

            “Maybe I should just grab sandwich after this.” She mumbled to herself. Soon, her phone which she put in the pocket of her skirt vibrated. A small smile appeared on her face when she noticed the name appeared on the screen.

            From: Kiseop oppa

           Message: You promise me to eat ice cream together. Lunch?

          She let out a soft laugh and began to text him back.

           To: Kiseop oppa

            Message: Sure!

            Her thumb pressed the ‘send’ button. Less than one minute after that, her phone vibrated again.

            From: Kiseop oppa

            Message: Where do you work at?

           Hyojung was a little bit confused with the sudden question.

           To: Kiseop oppa

            Message: Daehan Firm. Why?

           Then, there’s no more messages coming from him. She tilted her head to the side and carried on with her work. She organized the files on the table perfectly before starting to do some research and jot down a few important information.

           Hyojung stood up from the comfortable chair and relaxed her stiff muscles. She glanced at the watch and realized it was finally lunch time. She took her bag, ready to get down to buy food when suddenly her phone vibrated.

            From: Kiseop oppa

            Message: I’m in front of the building. Come here now! People here look at me weirdly. :(

           She covered with her hand to prevent the little scream inside her from coming out. Without a second thought, she dashed to the ground level and walked quickly to the front of the building. Then, she saw a waving Kiseop in his normal outfit. A little red hat on his head made him look more fashionable than others around him.

           “Hyojungie~” He took her hand and brought her to his car. Hyojung felt nice with his warm hand wrapping around hers. But no, she had to tell him later about that.

           “Hmm,  where’s the nearest ice cream parlor?” Kiseop said when they both got into the car. 

           “Just eight block away from here.” She smiled. She really had to tell him about the thing that bothered her that morning.

            Kiseop just drove his car even though it’s near. Well, very near. They could have taken a walk. Soon, both of them were already at the parlor, choosing their favorite flavor.

           “Hyojung, what flavor do you want?” Kiseop flashed his beautiful smile. She smiled back and looked at the tubs of various flavors.

           “I want Vanilla. With chocolate chips on top it. What about you?” It’s his turn to look at those tubs.

           “Green tea.” He said.

           “Let’s get our ice cream now.” Hyojung led Kiseop to the counter and ordered the ice cream they wanted. She was about to take her purse from her handbag when Kiseop suddenly reached out his hand to give the money to the cashier.

           “Oppa, you don’t have to.” She whispered. Kiseop took both ice cream and brought her to the table near the glass window.

           “It’s fine. My treat.” He gave her the ice cream. Both of them enjoyed the ice cream and talked about the weather, work, and things happened around them. Then, there was this silence just like the first date one. Hyojung took a decision to talk about their relationship. She must do it or she’d regret it. But she hoped he wouldn’t feel hurt since he looked comfortable even at this level.

            “Umm..” Both of them hummed. Kiseop offered her to speak first and vice versa but he gave up when she insisted him to talk first.

            “Never gonna win with a lawyer.” He chuckled. As soon as he tried to speak up the first word, a well-built man with blonde hair approached their table with a cone of mint-flavored ice cream in his hand.

            “Kiseop! We missed you that Saturday. And who’s this beautiful lady over here?” He punched Kiseop softly on the shoulder. 

            “We still can hang out on other day, Eli.” Kiseop punched him back. Hyojun sat quietly and watched both of them talking.

            “So, Eli, this is….” A sudden call for Eli interrupted Kiseop who was trying to introduce him to Hyojung. Eli cursed something in English after he hung up.

            “Sorry, I have to go now, Hana wants her ice cream now. That kid…” He hissed.

            “Tell your little sister I say hi. I’ll call you later.” Kiseop shooed him away. Then, he patted Eli’s before the blonde scurried out of the parlor, straight to his car. Hyojung raised her eyebrows, a little bit shocked with their bromance.

            “Who was that? I assumed his name is Eli and he’s your friend.” Hyojung said.

            “Yeah, close buddy. Since high school.” He smiled. Again, Hyojung felt very bad. What if his smile disappeared after she said what she had to say?

            “So, Hyojung, I hope, you won’t be mad at me after I said this thing, okay?” He looked at you and  then rubbed both of his palms together. You nodded and waited for him to explain.

            “I….I’m busy with my career right now, juggling those two is difficult and I actually have to struggle in order to have some time with my friends. I also think I’m not interested on having any relationship of.. you know.. more than friends. I’m sorry, Hyojungie. I don’t think I can make you as my girlfriend.” His head was hung low. He rubbed his face countless times before lifting his head up to see her reaction.

            Hyojung felt a heavy burden suddenly been lifted from her shoulder. It’s a huge relief that she’s not the only who thought of that. Surprisingly, she thought Kiseop was the type that would give more of his heart to girl rather than his job. Hmm, human is full of surprise. But she didn’t think he was a bad guy.

           “That was what I want to discuss with you, oppa. I’m okay with it. Working as a lawyer is not as easy as what people see it. We have to study case, do some research, and work non stop. I think it’s better for us to stay friends. Don’t you think so?” Hyojung suggested. She heard Kiseop mumbling something under his breath about being oppa and something.

           “Yah, oppa, what do you want to say?” She kicked his leg. Kiseop rubbed his leg and looked at you with a pouty lips.

           “I just want to say that I want to be like an older brother to you. And you can be my little sister. I never have one. I only have a nuna but she’s already married.” His voice trailed off. Hyojung cracked a smile on his face and kicked him once again.

           “Yah! I thought lawyers only use their verbal skill but what is wrong with you kicking me?” He pouted and rubbed his leg once again.

            “Aigoo, oppa, I’m sorry! Of course we can have that kind of relationship. I don’t have an oppa in my family. So, you, Lee Kiseop, is now my oppa.” You pinched his cheeks.

 

             Kevin waited for his friend in front of the Woo Firm. It’s not as huge as other buildings but he’s happy with the firm since it has his own name on it. He ran his hand through his hair and sometimes would kick the small stones on the pavement.

            “Am I late?” A panted Eli arrived in front of him, with his hands resting on his knees. Kevin looked at his wrist watch and patted his friend’s back.

            “Nope. 10 minutes early.” He smiled. “Did you run all the way here?” Kevin asked when the blonde almost recover from his pant.

            “Yeah, Hana said she had to go somewhere with her friends after this and she pushed me off the car 10 blocks away from here.”  He hissed as he remembered Hana’s face when she stopped the car and asked him to get out.

            “Hana is still the same Hana. She must have grown up into a beautiful girl.” Kevin laughed. He invited Eli into his car and then he drove to the said neighborhood.

             They looked at a few houses and Eli didn’t seem to like almost all the houses in that neighborhood. The style of the house didn’t meet his taste. Kevin felt slapping his friend across the face and told him to keep in mind that it’s his house they’re looking for and not Eli’s.

              Eli saw a familiar looking woman with a lot of groceries bag in her embrace. She struggled on her way to the front door of her house. However, she managed to open it even though with lots of things on her hands. He’s sure he saw her somewhere during the lunch time but Kevin’s words suddenly clouded his way to remember the woman’s face.

             “I think the second last house is alright. There is big glass window at the small office and I think I can work and live very well there. Don’t you think so?” Kevin wrapped his arms under his chest. Eli went back to the reality and kind of agreed with everything he said.

              “I’ll tell the tenant and have everything done perfectly tomorrow.” Kevin took out his phone number and punched in the tenant’s number that was written on the front door of his desired house.

              “Hey Kevin, I’ve seen Kiseop’s girlfriend.” Eli suddenly blurted out.

              “What?” Kevin half-heard what his friend said.

              “I said I’ve seen Kiseop’s girlfriend.” He repeated.

              “So?” Kevin snapped, a little irritated with the new information he got.

              “You’re the only loser among all of us, woohoohoo!” Eli ruffled his friend’s hair. Kevin bit his lower lip and pulled Eli into the car.

               Soohyun and Hoon were already married. Jaeseop has engaged. Eli was planning to propose. Dongho with his mushy girlfriend. Kiseop finally had girlfriend, Kevin was all alone. There was a bet long time ago between those seven young guys. The last person to stay single would have to treat big dinner for the rest and their couples.

               And he had to suffer all of that. He had to watch his friends being lovely with their partner while he stared at the floor, talking to it.

               “Get ready with your money, boy.” Eli grinned.

               “Just shut your mouth for a second. I’ll treat you guys so you don’t have to keep reminding me about it. Jeez.”