Why, Hello There?

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

 

Hello guys, I missed writing this story, so, here you go! (long chapter, ohoho)


 

                Hyojung dried her hair with a small towel while whistling to her favorite song. She promised Byunghun to cook him lunch and bring it to the park for their little date later. He had made most of her days lately. Late night phone calls, lunch, good morning text messages. Everything.

                Smiling, Hyojung walked to the kitchen to prepare the ingredients for the lunch. She noticed Hyemi was smirking at her playfully and her eyebrows were raised.

                “Is there anything you wanted to say?” Hyojung asked. She was sure her younger sister was up with something.

                Hyemi nodded. “Yes.”

                “Then?”

                “I’m going to ruin your mood if I say it now.”

                Hyojung cocked her eyebrow. If it was something that would make her date with Byunghun turned into disaster, she would be pissed. But she knew it would not be that bad, though.

                “Spill?” She snapped her finger as if cueing Hyemi to start.

                “Unnie, let’s greet our new neighbor.”

                Hyojung rolled her eyes. No, she didn’t want to go there. Not after a voice kept yelling inside her head that the guy who had just moved to their neighborhood was someone who’s really rude. Hyemi let out a sigh and gently shook her head.

                “Aww, whyyy?” Hyemi wailed.

                “I’m not going to greet an ignorant man who just freaking honked me early in the morning.”

                “Use this chance to make up with him?”

                Hyojung scoffed. “As if he knows he’s at wrong!” She blew her bangs and proceeded with her intention in the kitchen. Pff, she really hated bad-mannered person so why did she need to bother showing herself right in front of his face?

                “Aww, come onn~ I want to meet him.” Hyemi slowly walked to her older sister and tugged on her sleeve.

                “No.”

                “Unnie.”

                “Do I have to repeat?” Hyojung sent her a sharp glare.

                “No. But don’t you remember what the chairman of our neighborhood said?”

                “About developing good relationships with our next-doors?”

                “Yeah, that one!” Hyemi beamed.

                “Hyemi, please. You don’t have to remind me with such slogan.” Hyojung chuckled brightly. Who didn’t remember such things that came out from the head of the community on every single meeting they attended? Mr Heo never failed at repeating the same slogan whenever he held up a gathering for the neighborhood. And being an active committee member, Hyojung didn’t need anyone to tell her about it. It’s like a routine for the chairman.

                “Fine, then. I’ll just go alone and tell him that my sister doesn’t want to meet him because he just freaking made her pissed.” Hyemi raised both of her hands in the air.

                Hyojung took in sharp breath. Did her sister just blackmail her?

                “Ahn Hyemi!” She was so not going to let that happen. But at the same time, she didn’t want to lose to her.

                “What? You’re going now?” Hyemi smirked.

                Hyojung shook her head. “Don’t make me use Dongho.” She knew by mentioning her boyfriend’s name, Hyemi would slowly give up.

                “Pfffttt, unnie. I’m not that little Ahn Hyemi anymore. And I believe Dongho oppa wouldn’t even care about this matter. It’s between you and me.”

                Ok, maybe not. Dongho couldn’t save her. When did Hyemi become this bold? Normally, she would chicken out because Dongho would advice her and told her to be a good girl for him. But now?

                “Good God, Hyemi. Do you really want me to go?” Hyojung sighed. She knew she had to give in anytime soon.

                “Yes. Come on, we’re just going to say hi and give him some delicious apple pie. Then, we leave.”

                “And it’s me who has to cook the apple pie, right?” Hyojung narrowed her eyes at her.

                “Everyone in Korea knows that you are the queen of apple pie!” Hyemi nodded.

                “You’re exaggerating.”

                “I’ll do anything to make you go.”

                “Well then, congratulations.”

                Hyemi blinked. “Hmm, what?”

                “You win, Ahn Hyemi. You win.” Hyojung waved her hand around and shoved a basket full of sweet potatoes into her sister’s arms.

                “Thank you, unnie. You’re the best!”

                She smiled at Hyemi’s reaction and decided to focus on the lunch she’s going to make.

                “Unnie?”

                Hyojung turned her head around.

                “I love you.” Hyemi made heart sign using her hands.

                A smile crept onto Hyojung’s face. Her sister was really bubbly that sometimes she felt like her day couldn’t be even better without her. “If you love me, you have to help me cook the apple pie this evening.”

                “No problem, unnie!”

 

                Hyojung took a sit on a bench placed near a shady tree. The sun was too bright and she forgot to bring her sunglasses. On her lap, there’s a bag full of side dishes she cooked earlier in the morning for her lunch with Byunghun. She hoped he would like all the food she cooked since she wasn’t sure of what to prepare for him.

                Soon, a pair of hands covered Hyojung’s eyes and she immediately knew the owner of them. She shook her head so he would release his hands from her but he kept them still.

                “You don’t know the rule.” Byunghun chuckled.

                Hyojung pouted. “What rule?”

                “You have to guess me first.”

                “I don’t want to.”

                “If you don’t want to guess, then I have to kiss you on the lips?”

                She startled at her place. No. Even though Hyojung knew she’s curious of how his lips would taste on hers, it’s just not right. They were not even in a relationship and it’s going to be weird if he did that.

                “Fine.” She chuckled. “Byunghun oppa.”

                Hyojung swore she heard him letting out an upset sigh before he moved to sit beside her. Was he hoping that she would stay still and let him kiss her? She slapped herself mentally. Maybe she was just imagining things too much. Byunghun was just being playful. Like usual.

                “I was wishing that you’d be your stubborn self just now.” Byunghun complained.

                “What?”

                “Nothing.” He smiled nervously.

                Byunghun took the bag from her lap and checked out the small containers inside it. He slowly pulled them out one by one. His eyes were really fixed on the content and Hyojung couldn’t help but think that he really looked like a 5-years-old boy. Too adorable.

                “Did you really make all of this?” He asked.

                “Yes, I forgot to ask you about your favorite food so I just cooked everything that I thought you would like.”

                “I love tasty food, just saying.” Byunghun said while looking at box of egg rolls. “And I believe all the thing you prepared for our lunch is tasty.”

                Hyojung grinned. She really appreciated it when people loved what she did for them. It felt like they just made her satisfied with all the uplifting comments and compliments. She took a spoon and a pair of chopsticks from the bag and handed them for him. As she went through the bag once again to look for another pair, Byunghun stopped her.

                “What are you searching for? Let’s eat.”

                Hyojung scratched her head. She was sure she placed more chopsticks when she put the containers inside the bag. But there’s none!

                “Eat first. I think I forgot to bring my own spoon.”

                Byunghun laughed. “Then share with me! Don’t be so uptight about sharing spoon and stuff. I don’t have harmful germs.” He then placed a spoonful full of rice and meat in front of .

                “But oppa.. I know you’re a lot hungrier than me!” Hyojung protested.

                “Please eat.” Byunghun whined. “Or I’ll be mad.”

                She felt scared when she received the piercing stare from him. Of course he was joking but she’s afraid that he might be really mad if she didn’t do what he asked her to do. Byunghun grinned when Hyojung opened to receive the food.

                “Now, that’s good.” He took another spoonful and ate that one for himself.

                Both of them enjoyed the lunch under the bright September sun. They laughed when they found food stuck on their face. They smiled when their eyes met. They blushed when he fed her. Both of them kept doing that until they found themselves full with food and happy hearts.

                “The food is really tasty.”

                Hyojung nodded. “Because you kept eating it non-stop.”

                “It’s not my fault you’re so good at cooking!”

                “Not as good as the restaurant owner.”

                “I don’t do homemade, miss.” Byunghun laughed. He helped her placing back the containers into the bag. Hyojung carefully wiped some of the food stain on her blouse using a handkerchief. She also helped Byunghun to wipe some sauce that was smothered on his t-shirt.

                “Wow, I feel like I have a wife.”

                Hyojung blushed at his remark. She quickly pulled away from him and continued to remove the food stain from her own blouse. Byunghun laughed again after looking at her reaction and scooted closer to her, teasing her with the small gap between them.

                “Do you have any plan tonight?

                Hyojung quietly hummed. “I have to go somewhere with my sister tonight.”

                “That’s too bad, then.”

                “Why?”

                “I was planning to cook you dinner but never mind, then.” He sighed.

                “How about next time?”

                “Alright, but make sure you empty the night slots for me. Only me.”

 

                Hyojung checked the oven for the 10th time. She’s worried of how the apple pie would turn out since it had been like forever she hadn’t bake that special dessert. The last time she made it was when the last neighbor moved in, which was almost a year ago. Hyojung waited in front of the oven, her eyes were directed to the timer.

                Soon, the timer made a ‘beep’ sound. Hyemi rushed to see the outcome. She watched her sister pulling out the apple pie and placed it on top of the counter.

                “I’ll put this into the box and then we can go there while it’s still hot.” Hyojung said. “By the way, are you sure he’s at home?”

                Hyemi nodded fervently. “Yes! I saw his car just now!”

                “Alright, just wait a second and let me prepare the box.”

                “Kyaa ~ this is exciting!”

                Hyojung eyed her younger sister weirdly. She didn’t know why she was so hyped up to meet their neighbor. It’s not like they’re meeting The President of U.S.A. Hyojung carefully sliced the apple pie and decorated them beautifully inside the box. She tasted some and she knew she had done a great job at baking it.

                Then, both of them moved out of the house to meet the neighbor. Hyemi and Hyojung decided to just take a walk because it would be ridiculous to use the car even though their house was only doors away from his. And Hyojung thought she could use the chance to enjoy the evening scenery of the neighborhood.

                “Hyemi, you knock.” She said as soon as they arrived in front of the main door. She already baked the pie and she didn’t want to waste more energy knocking the door. And she’s afraid of getting mad at him if she’s the first one to see the face of the guy who was really rude to her.

                “I will.” Hyemi beamed. Her smile turned into frown when she saw her sister being really nervous. “Unnie, please smile. We need to leave a very good first impression on him.”

                “But he already left me with a very very very bad impression of him.” Hyojung scoffed.

                She stood beside Hyemi as her sister gave the door a several soft knocks. There was no answer from the owner of the house. Hywmi knocked again, a little louder than before.

                Kevin was about to take off his office clothes when he heard someone knocking the front door. He sighed mentally while buttoning back his shirt and then rushed out of his room. A grunt escaped his throat as he thought of why the person coming to his house didn’t ring the bell. It’s only at the right side of the door.

                With a soft smile, he opened the door, revealing two young ladies in front of him. Kevin almost stepped back after looking at them because he knew the ladies. Hyojung was really surprised to see him but she managed to hide it from her face. Meanwhile, Hyemi was already gasping like she was staring at something unbelievable for her.

                “Unnie, I know him. He’s one of Dongho oppa’s friends.” She whispered into Hyojung’s ear.

The three of them exchanged glances. Silence clouded the air. None of them spoke. Perhaps, they were thinking why the world is too small.

                “Uh… hello!” Hyemi chirped. She waved at Kevin happily and then signaled Hyojung to greet him as well.

                “H-hello, Mr Woo!” She bowed. A small part of her really regretted herself for going there because she didn’t want to know the fact that Kevin was actually the guy who moved there. The guy who just being ridiculous to her early in the beautiful morning.

                “Unnie, I don’t know that you know her.” Hyemi chuckled. Hyojung just glared at her and tried to smile sincerely in front of him.

                “Hello, I….” Kevin was loss at words. He didn’t expect they were their neighbors. And the fact that he’s going to see a lot of them around this area made him feel relieved a bit. Finally, someone who could he asked for some help. Knowing that Dongho was always around at their house from his constant storytelling, he felt a little light in the heart.

                “What a coincidence, aha?” Hyemi laughed.

                “…Yes. I have no idea that both of you live here. Which one is your house?” Kevin looked around the area of wonderful houses.

                Hyemi pointed at a house that had a white car parked in front of it. Inside her head, Hyojung felt like pinching Hyemi as hard as she could. Why did her sister show him the house? He’s going to remember about it.

                “Oh.. that one.” Kevin nodded. He then looked at Hyojung who was still squirming uncomfortably. He wanted to invite them in but the condition of his house was not that good for them to see.

                “This is my sister, Hyojung. She doesn’t talk much with people she barely knows. So, don’t get hurt if she didn’t respond to you.” Hyemi nodded.

                “Hyemi!” Hyojung hissed. Her sister was really going to get it when they got home later.

                “It’s fine. I’ve met her a few times already and she’s quite talkative.” Kevin laughed.

                “Oh, really?” Hyemi widened her eyes.

                “Yes, Dongho’s girlfriend.”

                “Aish, why must Dongho oppa be mentioned here?” She whined.

                Hyojung stared ridiculously at her sister. She hoped that they could just give the apple pie to him and then returned home. But it looked like the conversation would go on.

                “Miss Ahn, it’s nice to see that you’re my neighbor.” Kevin smiled. He noticed the box in her hand and curious about the content. Usually, other people who had came welcoming him to the neighborhood brought some nice and delicious for him and he expected that she was holding some sort of glorious treat.

                “Yes, Mr Woo. We’re going to see each other a lot.” Hyojung chuckled nervously. “And welcome to the neighborhood.” She held up the box to him, in which he accepted it happily.

                “Thank you! I wonder what is it inside this box?” He pretended to shake it but Hyemi told him not to.

                “Apple pie. Freshly baked and it’s still hot.” She nodded.

                “That’s cool. Why don’t you girls get in and we can eat all of this together?” Kevin suggested. Then, something hit the back of his head. Why did he invite them in when his house was very messy? Hyojung would laugh at him and thought that he didn’t organize things properly. Then, she would probably tell her colleagues that Kevin Woo, the top attorney, didn’t clean his house. Only the thought of it made him nervous already.

                “It’s okay, Mr Woo. We still need to cook dinner.” Hyojung assured. She didn’t want to stay any longer.

                “Oh… right. Dinner.” Hyemi pouted. “Anyway, if you need any help, you can just call us or come to our house, okay?”

                “That’s too bad, then. And yeah, I will. Thank you for this treat, ladies.” Kevin heaved a breath. Thank goodness they declined it or else he died. He suddenly remembered about the moment when he met Hyojung at the café, when she was a mess. He wanted to know how the rest of the day went for her. Right when Hyojung and Hyemi were 10 steps away from him, he called for Hyojung.

                “Miss Ahn!”

                Hyojung turned around to see Kevin waving at him and then told Hyemi to go home first. She went back to Kevin with a soft smile, wondering what he wanted to say.

                “Yes?”

                “Did Mr Jung get mad at you?”

                “Mr Jung?” Hyojung tilted her head to the side. “My boss?”

                Kevin nodded. “Yes, your boss. Don’t you remember the day when we’re at café?”

                She closed her eyes, trying to remember it. Gently patting her forehead, she got mad at herself for not taking note about that small event happened a few days ago.  It cooled her down that he was trying to help her with her problem. She safely got back to the office before the time. All of it, thanks to Kevin. Maybe she should just forget his bad deed.

                “Ah, yes. I do remember now.” She smiled.

                “So, how was it?”

                “I made it.”

                Kevin chuckled. “That’s good, then. He didn’t ask anything?”

                “No, he just said that you called him and told him that I might be late and everything went normal after that.”

                “Hahaha, so you dressed well?”

                “Pretty much.” She laughed. “Hmm, thank you, Mr Woo. If it wasn’t because of you, I might have been late that morning.”

                “I was just helping. It’s great to see that you’re a very hardworking person. It’s such waste for Mr Jung if he did yell at you.”

                “I’ll just remain silent because he’s still my boss.” Hyojung placed her finger on her lips.

                Kevin laughed softly and nodded at her remark. The lady in front of her acted differently in different situation. She’s not that playful when she’s in her office attire but she was almost like her sister when she’s outside of the firm.

                “Fine. Thanks for the apple pie, Miss Ahn.” He held the box securely.

                “No problem!” Hyojung chuckled. A small smirk suddenly appeared on her face when she thought of telling him straight about the other incident.

                “Before I leave….” She added. “People here do not like it when someone honked his or her car randomly when everyone is sleeping. It’s just a friendly reminder.” With that, she bowed and waved him goodbye.

                Kevin was left dumbfounded in front of the door. He didn’t know what she was talking about but when he saw the white car again, the one at Hyojung’s front yard, he swallowed hard.

                “Okay, how come…..?” He tapped his lower lip. “How come I didn’t recall that thing earlier?”

                He just realized that he had made her mad before even though he was sure she would think of it as something to laugh at right now. Smiling, he went back into his house and got ready to eat the warm apple pie.

                “I’ll just apologize to her later.”