Cupcake

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

Hi! I'm so exhausted. I work days and nights for this month and phewww it's gonna be hard for me to update (blame my boss) :( oh and I'm going back to uni this September, pursuing my studies in Literature. Gosh, I hate Literature. Hopefully, I can finish this story before September. And thanks for reading and commenting. I love you guys. The quality of this fic is going downhill, though. Sigh

 


 

 

            Kevin plopped on the kitchen counter. He swung his feet. Tapping his chin, he tried to think of the way he should tackle Hyojung’s heart. It’s late already but he still didn’t bother to sleep. He needed to plan first. And then he’d sleep. Scribbling something probably could help him. He reached for the mini whiteboard on the fridge and held the marker pen in his hand. Staring at the white surface, he began writing something.

            A groan escaped his throat as he heard someone knocking the front door. And it’s not just a soft knock. It’s more like a bang that would cause the whole word to shake. Okay, exaggerating. He jumped off the counter and ran to the door. Before he twisted the knob, he heard a voice of a woman giggling together with a man on the other side. Kevin tilted his head, feeling a little insecure at the presence of night visitors.

            Just right after he opened the door and before he could say anything, he was attacked with a tight hug. Kevin hesitantly hugged back though he didn’t know the woman who was hugging him. But then he saw his brother-in-law with Minjun, his nephew sleeping soundly in his arms looking at him with a broad smile. So, the woman who’s in his arms right now was his sister. He tried to find some smell of rose and yes, it’s Deanna.

            Both of them pulled away and Deanna kissed her brother’s cheek. Kevin stared at her confusingly, “Why didn’t you call me?”

            “We just want to surprise you,” Deanna said. Kevin ushered the three of them into the house and quickly went to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Gosh it’s late and what on earth were they doing at his place? And how did they know where he lived?

            He joined them in the living room and sat next to Andrew. Andrew patted his back as he looked around. Kevin saw him nodding approvingly before turning at him. Deanna did the same too and sometimes he could see his sister smiling to herself.

            “You’ve got yourself a pretty nice house, Kev,” Andrew commented.

            “Yeah, and the neighborhood is pretty safe too,” Deanna added.

            Kevin smiled at their remarks, “Thanks.” But what was their purpose of coming to his house? Like seriously, he needed to be alone at this moment and the plan should be ready for action starting tomorrow.

            “So, why are you guys here?” Kevin asked.

            Deanna grinned. Same goes with Andrew. Kevin felt weird and frowned when both of them looked at him. More like staring at him creepily.

            “Oh well, Andrew has some job to do here,” Deanna clasped her hands and rested them on her lap.

“Oversea branch report,” Andrew nodded.

“We went to umma’s house just now but she wanted us to stay at your place. Umma said she is worried about you. Are you eating well or not? Are you feeling lonely or not? So we’re here with you for a week and I’ll try my best to cook all homemade food for you,” His sister exclaims.

            Kevin gulped. He was happy that he could have proper meal with them here. At the same time, it means that he wouldn’t have that much privacy to work out his plan. It seemed like love for a girl can wait while love for a family can’t. Alright, scratch that. Maybe he could think of something without his sister knowing.

            After serving them tea and talking about work and work, Kevin bade them goodbye as they walked to the guest room together with their huge luggage. Thank goodness he decided to clean up the living room after he got home or else Deanna would be yelling at him for not being able to take care of himself. He guessed he should call his mother after this and asked her why she decided to send them to his house.

            The lawyer grabbed the white board and sat again on the counter. He wrote down a few notes on it. So, he’s going to Hyojung’s workplace tomorrow to eventually operate his secret plan. When he thought about it for the second time, he felt like he was like this kid who’s in love for the first time and out of ideas of how he should make her realize that he needed her. Like times when all of us were in elementary and we had this cute little crush on someone.

            Kevin startled when he saw Deanna entered the kitchen. He quickly hid the board behind him and pretended like nothing had happened. Deanna eyed him suspiciously but she opened the fridge first to take a carton of milk out.

            “Not sleeping yet?” Kevin asked, trying to fish her out from throwing questions about the board.

            Pouring the milk into a tall glass, Deanna scoffed, “Can’t you see I’m here trying to have a nice glass of cold milk?”

            “Oh, so you’re drinking?” Kevin chuckled nervously.

            Deanna rolled her eyes, “What’s that behind your back?”

            Kevin blinked, “Uh, what are you talking about?”

            “Come on, Kev. I thought we’re the best siblings in the world,” her sister walks slowly towards him and Kevin quickly hopped off with the board. It’s going to be very embarrassing if Deanna found out about it. She’d be teasing him all day long.

            Not wasting any time, Kevin ran out of the kitchen finding himself getting chased by Deanna. He knew he couldn’t run away from her sister considering he’s such a weak runner while Deanna was not. He tried to look for any possible way to escape but Deanna first got him cornered on the couch. She pushed him down and smirked.

            “Give me it,” she said.

            Kevin shook his head furiously, “No, you don’t have to know what’s in here.”

            Deanna sat down but her hands were still reaching for the board, “Is it the most confidential secret in the world?”

            The younger brother nodded, “Ahh, it’s nothing, nuna. This is related to my firm.”

            “But why do you look suspicious? And if it’s related to your work, you should write it down on a piece of paper in your office room. But whiteboard? The one you hang on the fridge? Kevin, something is weird, really,” Deanna said.

            “Well, yeah! I’m writing down something I have to do tomorrow. L-like..,” he stuttered. Great, his sister was so good at making him twist his own tongue and now what should he do.

            “Like what? Come on, Woo Sunghyun. All of us know you don’t cook and you don’t have to lie to me about groceries or picking up laundry,” she crossed her arms.

            “You’re seriously the most annoying big sister in the world,” Kevin sighed and gave up. He looked away when he passed the board to her. He swore he could hear her chuckling in any moment soon. Typical Deanna. Big bully.

            Kevin waited for his sister to burst out her laughter and yes it happened. He wanted to stand up, however, Deanna caught the hem of his shirt and forced him to sit down. Prepare for the major tease, Kevin.

            “Aww, this is so cute. How old are you again?” She cooed. There she goes, Kevin sighed.

            “Are you done? Because I want to sleep,” Kevin huffs. He expected his brother-in-law to join her tomorrow. During breakfast in the morning. Oh, what a life.

            “Hmm, who’s this Ahn Hyojung? Your girlfriend? Wait, you have a girlfriend and you didn’t tell our parents? And me?” Deanna’s eyes lightened up.

            Kevin snatched the board away and squinted his eyes at her, “I would like it if you prefer to sleep now.”

            “Tell me who’s Ahn Hyojung first.”

            He groans, “She is just someone I like. Now, bed?”

            “Oooh, a crush. Aww you’re so cute. Listing all the things you want to do for her on a kitchen whiteboard,” she giggles.

            He found it annoying and really wanted to drag Deanna back to the room and locked her in until morning. But my oh my, he got an idea as he kept looking at his beloved sister. Since she’s here, it wouldn’t hurt to ask for her help, eh? She’s a woman for heaven’s sake and of course she knew everything about woman. How come he didn’t ask for her help when he’s in need of that during his past love experience? Never mind. His eyes were only for Ahn Hyojung now.

            “Nuna, can you help me with this?”

 

            Hyojung rushed into the building, receiving a lot of eyes from her colleagues. Some of them had cheesy smiles on while the others were whispering with each other. She frowned and checked her outfit. She didn’t wear anything funny. White blouse and black skirt. Absolutely no mistake with her dressing.

            Seyong, one of her friends at the firm came up to her. He was grinning like an idiot as he kept nudging Hyojung who was already impatient with what he wanted to say to her. She folded her arms under her chest and leaned against his working desk.

            “Is today April Fool?” Hyojung blurted. She scanned around and people were still focusing on her. Truthfully, she didn’t like the current attention she’s getting. It’s like she was some sort of celebrity who was involved in scandals and bad news and waiting for appropriate questions to come right under her nose.

            “No,” Seyong shook his head. The grin was still plastered on his face and Hyojung felt like slapping it off and told him that there’s nothing amusing happened.

            Hyojung frowned even more, “Then, what? Why are they looking at me like that?”

            Seyong flashed a warm smile at their colleagues, “I think they’re just curious.”

            “Huh?”

            A woman approached them and squeezed in between Seyong and Hyojung. Seyong pulled her closer to him and Hyojung noticed it was Gaeul, the recipient. Both of them bombarded her with giggles and they whispered to each other with their eyes and pointy finger diverted to Hyojung.

            “Seriously, Ahn Hyojung,” Gaeul started, “You are such a lucky woman.”

            “Congratulations in advance. He’s such a fine man. First time saw him close-up and goodness he was so damn charismatic. His aura was different even though he spoke softly to me,” Seyong nodded followed Gaeul’s non-stop giggles.

            Hyojung rested her hands on hips. Man? What kind of man would come here and find her? She’d never had any appointment in the morning with her clients. Now now now, she only had one person in mind.

            “Who is it?” She asked both of them.

            “Are you serious, Hyojung? Are you serious?” Gaeul stared at her in disbelief.

            “Yes! I really don’t know!” Hyojung exclaimed.

            “Oh, this is exciting,” Seyong smirked, “Well, tell her, Gaeul. I believe you will give her a more detailed description about this man.”

            There was a dead silence between the three of them. Hyojung was bothered about this. She wanted to shake Gaeul and rushed her to tell her already.

            “It’s Kevin Woo, the most handsome and wanted lawyer in the country. The moment he greeted me at the counter, he asked for you. I told him you weren’t in yet but he said it’s fine, he wanted to leave you something. I saw a box in his hands together with a card and he asked me, ‘Can you show me her office?’ He looked so handsome and I almost died when I led him to your room. I don’t know what’s in the card – and I’m dying to know – because he wrote something on it while we’re in your office but oh my god, everyone was staring at him when he walked in! That’s the best part!” Gaeul clapped her hands together.

            Seyong covered using his hand, “That wasn’t the best part. The best part was when he walked out of your office and bumped into me. I asked him what he was doing in your room and do you want to know what his answer was?”

            Hyojung gulped,“….Yeah,” Gaeul was already fangirling dramatically beside Seyong and tugged on his sleeve.

            “To be honest, that was the coolest thing I’ve ever heard,” Seyong nodded, “Gaeul, help me. Be me and I’ll be him.”

            Gaeul nodded. She’s preparing but Seyong told her not to. It was just a reenactment, not real thing. Hyojung laughed at them but she was nervous like hell in the inside.

            “Oh, good morning Mr Woo. What were you doing in Miss Ahn’s room?” Gaeul said, her voice wavered a little.

            Seyong put on a sincere smile as if trying to be like Kevin, “Hmm just leaving something for my soon-to-be girlfriend. Tell her I said hi when she’s here.”

            Hyojung felt the blush crept up to her face. Her body was feeling a sudden rush of excitement. Goodness, Kevin! Now she felt embarrassed in front of her friends. Why was he so bold stating that to Seyong? She bet he said those loud enough so the others could hear him. Ah, Kevin Woo!

            “Hyojung, you have a hot stuff waiting for you to be his girlfriend!” Gaeul hugged her. She didn’t hug back as she was still red about him. So embarrassing.

            “He’s not a stuff. He’s just an annoying man who loves to annoy people,” Hyojung sighed, “Could you please excuse me? I need to work on my files.”

            Hyojung left them and stomped to her office. She locked the door and leaned against it. Her heart was making that flip again. Kevin Woo dared to come to the firm and tell everyone that he’s his boyfriend? Hyojung bit her lower lip, didn’t know if she’s happy or mad about the whole event.

            She saw a small box, figured it was left by Kevin. There was a small card on top of it. Hyojung sat down on her chair and opened the box first. A vanilla cupcake with pink and yellow frosting – decorated with smiley – greeted her. It looked too cute to eat and for some reason, she felt herself smiling as well. Hyojung pushed away the box and took the card. She flipped it open and there was a huge smiley face on the first page. Idiot, she chuckled.

            ‘To be honest, I’m so scared right now because everyone looked at me when I walked into your office. Anyway, have a nice day. And sorry for barging into your room. :)’

            Hyojung smiled widely. However, she was somehow mad because Kevin told Seyong about the girlfriend thingy and she didn’t like it. Who is he to say that? The fact that he entered her office without her permission was also burning the blood.

            Taking the phone, Hyojung rang Kevin. She waited patiently while looking at the smiling cupcake. Pink and yellow. They were her favorite colors. She was sure it was a coincidence but who knew Kevin might have asked Hyemi about it.

            “Hello, Attorney Woo speaking,” Kevin’s cheery voice sounded from the other line.

            “It’s me, Attorney Ahn,” Hyojung said.

            A chuckle was heard, “Ah, I should have checked who it was first. Good morning, Hyojung,”

            Hyojung sighed. He was really happy judging by his tone. “Why did you do this to me?”

            “What?”

            “The cupcake,” she stated.

            “Hmm, because I can?” Kevin laughs, “Wait, the cupcake doesn’t taste good?”

            “Kevin, you’re insane,” she said.

            “Yes, I am insane. I’m expecting a thank you from you because I baked the cupcake myself this morning,” he said, sounded bitter. And that caught Hyojung laughing. Kevin who barely knew how to hold a whisk properly baked a cupcake for her?

            “Why did you laugh?” he continued. Hyojung believed he was pouting right now.

            “Because you lied. You didn’t bake this,” she chuckled.

            “Of course I baked it,” he retorted.

            “Are you sure?”

            “Fine, my sister helped me with the frosting. But I really did the cupcake, okay? It tastes good, I promise!” he assured. Hyojung tilted her head. His sister? His sister was at his home now? Kevin used to tell her that he had a sister who lived in the States. She guessed that she was the one. Hyojung wanted to ask further about her sister but knowing that she didn’t phone Kevin to talk about that, she shrugged it off.

            “Okay, then. Thank you,” she simply said. She wanted to argue with him about barging into her room but she didn’t want their relationship to become even worse after the kiss in the car. It was her fault for giving cold shoulders but she’s starting to feel warm again. Kevin was just too kind to ignore. And she missed him.

            “You’re welcome,” the other replied.

            “Thanks for the cupcake.”

            “You should be proud of me because you’re the first to taste my first cupcake. Happy eating and…”

            Hyojung smiled, “And what?”

            “Nothing, just enjoy it.”

            “Tell me, Kevin.”

            “Have this…” he made a loud kissy sound as if sending her a flying kiss. Hyojung froze in her seat and the thing she heard afterwards was nothing since Kevin had disconnected.

            She fanned herself. It was ridiculously hot in the room. Stupid Kevin Woo, she cursed. She glanced at the cupcake and brought it to her face. The smiley face made her chuckle to herself. She’s touched that Kevin baked it himself. It was like it was meant for her only.

            Hyojung took a bite and it was incredibly sweet. There’s too much sugar and it’s a bit uncooked in the middle of it. But at least she could taste and feel the sincerity coming from the little cupcake.

            “Idiot. And you promised me it tastes good,” she laughed.