Screw Date

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

 

                Hyojung smiled proudly. All the ingredients she’s going to bring to the hall were in front of her and the thing she only needs to do was to pack them up and put them in a basket. After making sure all the stuff was packed, she called for Hyemi. She was sure that day was her Saturday. A lovely Saturday as she imagined herself winning that apron and Dessert Dash trophy. And all housewives would be jealous of her. How wonderful!

                “What is it, unnie?” Hyemi came from her bedroom, still in pajamas and her hands rubbing her eyes irritatingly.

                Hyojung palmed her own face and sigh. See? Hyemi said she would accompany her to the hall for the competition but by looking at her state now, Hyojung felt like throwing a pan to her sister. Promise is meant to be broken, huh?

                “Why are you still in your pajamas?” Hyojung sighed. She didn’t expect this coming but knowing Hyemi is Hyemi, she should have done that earlier.

                “Why didn’t you wake me up?” Hyemi huffed.  She looked at the basket and then at Hyojung and then yawned.

                “Why don’t you take your shower now? I’ll give you 15 minutes.” Hyojung pushed her and hopped onto the counter, swinging her legs. But Hyemi didn’t move an inch and she felt like screaming.

                “Why don’t you ask someone else to go with you?” Hyemi messed her own hair. She casually walked to the fridge to take a pitch of cool water, placed it on the counter, and poured down the content into a glass. She gulped down the liquid while her eyes looking at her now furious sister.

                “Why did you make that promise?” Hyojung rolled her eyes. She didn’t want to fight anymore and she only had 30 minutes before 10 o’clock to go the hall and register her name again.

                The doorbell rang and Hyojung rushed Hyemi to have her bath. Hyemi shrugged. She didn’t want to at first, but when her sister began to hold a glass of water, she scurried to her bedroom to get her towel. Hyojung shook her head and walked to the door. An early guest on Saturday, that was bizarre. Who could it be?

                Opening the door, she was greeted with a smiling Byunghun. There was a bouquet of flowers in his hands and he gave her a peck on the cheek before holding it out to her. Hyojung gladly took it and sniffed the romantic scent of the flowers. Ah, her Saturday morning came back alive.

                “Good morning.” Byunghun chimed. He looked wonderful as usual and his eyes shrunk a bit because of the bright sun light.

                “Good morning.” Hyojung replied. It would be great if Byunghun could accompany her to the hall but what was the purpose of her boyfriend dropping by in the morning?

                “I don’t know why there are a lot of people outside. Especially the housewives. Are they going anywhere?”Byunghun asked. She looked outside and realized that all of her neighbors were heading to the hall. Hyojung pulled him into the house and offered him to sit.

                She plopped down beside him and leaned against his arm. Ah, it’s great to have boyfriend. “Today is the day of Dessert Dash.”

                Byunghun her hair. “What is Dessert Dash?”

                Hyojung looked up at him and grazed her chin against his shoulder. “It’s a competition for the residents of this neighborhood only. Dessert competition.” She nodded.

                “Sounds fun.” Byunghun chuckled. “Anyway, I come here because I don’t know what to do in my apartment.”

                “Eh? What about the restaurant?” Hyojung blinked. Byunghun often told her that he’d always had to go to the wet market early in the morning (and sometimes dawn) to get fresh seafood and vegetables. But he might have done with his chores and that was may be the reason why he decided to visit you.

                “I’ve bought everything.” He nodded.

                Hyojung nodded as well. Then, she remembered that she had to go to the hall as soon as possible. She got off from Byunghun and rushed to the kitchen to take her basket. Byunghun watched her in amusement and slowly stood up to say something.

                “Uh, babe. Why are you rushing?” He looked like he wanted to help but he didn’t know where to start.

                “Oppa, can you send me to the hall?” She carried the basket with her and tugged his arm.

                Byunghun who was still clueless of what’s going on, just nodded to her request. He pulled out his car key from the pocket and led her to his car. Hyojung didn’t waste any time to get in and Byunghun immediately started the engine.

                “Why the rush?” Byunghun asked. He stepped on the gas and followed the other cars which seemed to head to the same place as them as well.

                “I join this competition.” Hyojung bit her lip nervously. She was afraid she was late even though they were still 15 minutes before the MC began to tell the rules and stuff.

                “Oh, why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Byunghun chuckled. “You’ll be great, don’t you worry about it.”

                “Thanks. I really need it.”

               

                Kevin woke up late and the first thing appeared on his mind as soon as he opened his eyes was how much he wanted to sleep again. Realizing he was being a lazy Kevin Woo on weekends, he lazily crawled out off his bed. He sat on the floor, leaned his head on the mattress as if he was longing to be on his bed once again.

                He heard something like a commotion outside of his house. Kevin walked towards a small window that showed the main road. He pushed the curtains away and saw a bunch of middle-aged women chatting happily while making their way to somewhere.

                A smile crept to his face. He forgot that today was the Dessert Dash day. It was so good to see such a lively neighborhood which always organized great activities for its residents to enjoy. Kevin was glad he picked this neighborhood as a place to stay. His neighbors were also kind to him as they often offered him their food and any other merchandise if they happened to go outside of town for vacation.

                Still smiling, Kevin decided to go that Dessert Dash event and see how great it would be. The competition had just begun and he still could have some time to watch the participants working hard to win. He didn’t think himself as a stranger at that place anymore as he knew he was going to enjoy the day.

                But then a phone call from Kiseop ruined his mood. He forgot that he had to go to this aimless blind date with some random girl he didn’t even know. Kiseop said to him and that he expected him to wait at the city park around noon. Kevin just nodded and hung up the call. He would go but he needed to go to this Dessert Dash first.

                After putting on his favorite white t-shirt and skinnies, Kevin headed out of the house and decided to walk to the hall. Once he reached the place, he was amazed at how full it was and all the tables were occupied with 50 participants from the neighborhood.

                Kevin felt a tap on his shoulder. Startling a bit, he turned around to meet the face of grinning Byunghun. Kevin smiled at him and shook the man’s hand.

                “Oh, great to see you here.” Kevin said.

                “Great to see you too.” Byunghun chuckled.

                “What are you doing here?”

                “Hyojung joins this cooky thingy.” Byunghun said. “The air here is full of energy. I love it.”

                Kevin laughed. “It is. Oh, you mean she’s going to bake something.”

                “Yup. She’s over there if you want to talk to her.” Byunghun pointed at table number 18. “A little warning, she is a little too concentrating on her food. So, please forgive her if she does not answer your question.”

                “Well, winning is important.” Kevin cackled. “Hmm, I’ll be going to her table now. Geez, I wish I can hang out here a little bit longer but I have to run some errands.” He’s still disappointed over the blind date. His friends never failed to ruin his weekend. The party guys (before Jaeseop and Eli had girlfriend) often asked him out for a drink when he’s not in the mood.  Weekends were meant for him to rest, to enjoy his sleep on bed. Not to partying all night and had the worst hangover.

                “What kind of errands that make you sound so busy, Kevin-ssi?” Byunghun joked. “Well, so you’re going to leave after you said hi to Hyojung?”

                Kevin nodded frustratingly. “Nahh, the errands are actually nothing. Hmm, yeah I guess I’ll leave after this. Too much things to do to kill my free time.”

                “Ahh, have fun then. Don’t get stressed out too much.” Byunghun patted the older man’s back a little and shook his hand. Kevin replied back by holding his hand a little firm.

                “Have fun, hopefully.” Kevin sighed but he kept his smile on his face. Screw Kiseop, really. “See you next time, Byunghun-ssi.”

                “Alright, boss.” Byunghun chuckled.

                Kevin went to search the table 18 and there she was, making mess with the baking utensils in front of her. There were not much people surrounding her place so it’s easier for Kevin to walk through the crowd of people and approached her.

                “Miss Ahn.” Kevin called. The woman raised her head a little and her eyes brightened at the sight of him.

                “Oh, Mr Woo!” Hyojung bowed and that almost made her cap fell into the mixture of her cheesecake. She placed it properly on her head to make sure it wouldn’t fall again.

                “Goodness, you shouldn’t have done that.” Kevin chuckled. “Anyway, just met Byunghun and he said you’re doing this.”

                Hyojung actually didn’t want to utter any word since she needed to focus on her cheesecake. But Kevin was considered as one of the people she respected, so she gave herself a minute or two to converse with him.

                “Yes, cheesecake is doing good to me today.” Hyojung grinned.

                “I love cheesecake!” Kevin exclaimed. He then leaned forward to look at what Hyojung was doing. She added something familiar like grated cheese, milk, and cream. Kevin wanted to know how did it taste like but he knew he wouldn’t stand a chance of doing that.

                “You should taste its sample after I’m done.” Hyojung smiled. Oh, it’s going to be lovely to have her idol tasting her infamous cheesecake, well, that’s what her mother said.

                “Nahh, unfortunately I have to go somewhere after this.” Kevin exhaled.

                “That’s too bad.” Hyojung’s smile almost faded.

                “But it’s fine. I think I’ll just have the taste of it some other time.”

                “But I rarely bake cheesecake!” Hyojung had to shout to fight the murmurs of people around her.

                Kevin felt disappointed. Now he was craving some cheesecake. He might have just grabbed one on his way to the park. Or maybe not. Ah, he didn’t know. Can’t he just call Kiseop and tell him to cancel everything? But Kiseop was too enthusiastic about this. He didn’t want to disappoint his best friend anyway.

                “That’s really too bad.” He mumbled.

 

                Kiseop waited for Kevin to arrive at the park. Usually, it was always Kevin who often waited for him earlier but that Saturday was different. He had to wait for Kevin. It had been 15 minutes and there were no signs of his friend or his car coming.

                Kevin parked his car next to Kiseop’s. The sun shone brightly and he was happy that he just wore light clothes. He stepped outside and almost immediately walked to the park to look for Kiseop. He arrived late on purpose yet he still felt guilty. Kiseop might throw him a lot of questions.

                When Kiseop caught Kevin on his sight, he waved his hands around and motioned Kevin to come to him. Kevin shielded his eyes from the sunlight using his hand. He walked towards Kiseop and sat next to the red-haired man.

                “Why are you so late?” Kiseop asked.

                “I woke up late this noon.” Kevin nodded. Great, lying is great. Kevin just had to lie so Kiseop wouldn’t ask more.

                “Oh, I get it. Are you ready for the date?” Kiseop said without further questions on why he woke up late and he didn’t sleep earlier last night.

                Kiseop was really excited, he thought.

                “Kind of but where are the girls?” Kevin decided to just play along for the rest of the day. He’d just fake everything and pretend that everything was just going to be well. Though, he knew it wasn’t going to be that way.

                “They’re waiting for us at the amusement park.” Kiseop smiled.

                Amusement park. Great job, Kiseop. This was like a date for those in their school days. “Oh, that’s cool. Let’s go now.” Kevin chuckled. Well, amusement park is amusement park.

                A couple of young ladies waved at them when they reached the front gate of the amusement park. Kevin didn’t do anything except for smiling. He guessed they were the girls that Kiseop was talking about. Kiseop waved back at them excitedly and gave each of them a firm hug. He looked like a womanizer but Kevin just laughed silently at the random thought.

                “So, this is Kevin, girls.” Kiseop showed Kevin to them and they beamed brightly to him.

                “Nice too meet  you.” Kevin chuckled. The ladies tried to refrain themselves for smiling too much and Kevin could feel the awkwardness creeping throughout his body.

                “Kevin, this is Seoyun.” Kiseop showed the lady on the left. She looked a bit younger than him. Dark brown hair with light makeup. Quite tall for a woman. A lot mature from the girl who stood beside her. She sent a soft smile to him and nodded.

                “And.. this is Injung.” His friend showed him the right lady. This one smiled too bright and she looked a lot excited. She was tiny and all bubbly. Kevin let out a nervous laugh as he looked at her.

                The four of them walked together into the park and observed the rides they had there. They still hadn’t chose their partner. Kevin didn’t want himself to get paired up with the childish-like Injung. He didn’t know if he could stay longer if he had to spend his day with her.

                “Hey, I’ll be going with Injung. You two just decide on what you guys want to do.” Kiseop smiled sheepishly. The Injung girl clung on his arm, giggling like a school girl who just got a handsome senior as her boyfriend. Thank goodness Kiseop loves that kind of girl.

                “I thought this is a blind date.” Kevin complained.

                “This is a blind date, Kev.” Kiseop chuckled. “Seoyun, just take him away.”

                Kiseop just left them two together. Kevin stared at his friend who happily walked away from them in disbelief. He rubbed his temple and then turned around to see Seoyun.

                “I guess we’re alone now.” He said to her. Truthfully, Seoyun was quite a beauty. But Kevin didn’t feel shaken. It’s just a blind date after all.

                “Yes. Do you want to go for rides?” She offered.

                “I don’t know. I don’t really mind, actually. Do you?” Kevin smiled.

                “I would love to have some drinks first. My throat is drying.” Seoyun laughed. “I’ll go get some juice, okay? Is there anything you would like to order?” She asked.

                Kevin suddenly felt uneasy leaving her alone to buy drinks. “I’ll just go with you.”

                “Alright, then.” Seoyun nodded. Kevin walked next to her and it was true, he felt so awkward. He didn’t know how to talk with her. What should he say first? Ask her about her job? Age? What?

                After buying watermelon juice for himself and Seoyun, they sat down at a small table of two, drinking their thirst away. It was refreshing to have some cold liquid running down his throat. Seoyun wiped using the back of her hand after she was done sipping from the can.

                “Ah, watermelon juice is just nice, isn’t it?” She commented.

                Kevin agreed. “It is.”

                “Hmm, so, Kevin Woo, right?” She smiled. Kevin nodded and his upper lip to make sure there wasn’t any stain of juice on it.

                “Kiseop oppa sent us your picture previous day. You were wearing dress shirt that time, are you somewhat a government servant?” Seoyun tilted her head a bit, her hands hugging the can.

                “Hmm, I’m actually a lawyer.”  

                A chuckle escaped her lips. “Sorry about that. That’s nice. Lawyers in Korea are very respected, you know.” She nodded.

                “Sort of.” Kevin smiled. He felt a little comfortable now with her. Thank God for her ability to smoothly ask him questions. “What do you do, Seoyun?”

                The woman giggled and pulled her chair a little so she could sit properly.  “Guess?”

                Kevin giggled as well. Her aura made him feel confident of getting to know her a bit more. He tapped his chin and looked at her for a while. Judging by her height and her beautiful look, he knew what Seoyun job’s was.

                “Model?” He launched the word out of his mouth.

                Seoyung shook her head. “Nope. Guess again?”

                Kevin looked at her again. “Model coach.”

                “In my dreams.” She laughed. “I’m a beauty consultant. You know, the one that advice you on how to be pretty with makeup, dress, and food.”

                “That’s great. But you look like a model, though.” Kevin said. She did look like a model with a body frame like that.

                After a few more talks and both of them had finished their watermelon juice, they rose from their seats and made their way to the children area. Seoyun chuckled when she was surrounded by a few little girls in cute costumes. Kevin smiled at the sight and joined her.

                “Let’s go for a ride after this.” She whispered. “I want to play with kids first.”

                Kevin just agreed. He knew he was actually going to enjoy his Saturday with a lady named Seoyun who was being really nice to him. If he got Injung, he would be dying to go home as soon as possible.

 


Wait a bit for Kevin and Hyojung moments, alright?

love you people <3