Heartbroken 2

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

Gonna take a small break. I can't juggle my time between writing and working anymore.

 


 

                Kevin bit his nails. It was his old habit he did when he was feeling uncertain or nervous. Apparently, it came back and Kevin didn’t have any effort to push it away. He let a lot of sigh running out through his lips.

                He was still wondering why Hyojung cried just now. Kevin was already at home, waiting for the kettle to yell and he still couldn’t forget her crying face. She looked so vulnerable that Kevin felt like telling her that it’s going to be okay. Everything’s going to be okay. But since he didn’t know what Hyojung was sobbing for, he just said that it’s okay to cry.

                She was so fragile around his arms and his little heart told him to protect her and gave her some attention. When Kevin reminisced again about the whole thing, he tapped his chin. After all days of sending Hyojung to work and fetch her from the firm, never did she tell him about Byunghun. Byunghun was nowhere around her lips and it was very weird that she didn’t tell him that she’s going to the firm with Byunghun sometimes or doing anything with Byunghun. Byunghun was a just a zero in their conversation. Not mentioned at all.

                Kevin went to the kitchen to turn off the stove. He took out a cup of ramen from the upper cabinet and ripped off the plastic that wrapped the whole cup. He poured in the hot water and brought the cup to the living room as he was planning to eat it while watching some lame tv drama.

                So, the reason behind Hyojung’s mood was Byunghun? He was not sure. He just didn’t want to see Hyojung to be in such situation anymore because he could feel himself drowning in the same feeling with her. It broke his heart. He did not know how he felt about Hyojung but he was sure it was more-than-a-friend crush. Not a friendship crush. But that kind of crush. Great, to think of how easy he got attracted to someone in a short amount of time after a while of not having some sparks in his heart.

                He slurped on his ramen. His dinner was getting boring each day and he was so sorry to himself for not being able to think of other thing he could eat. His head began to imagine Hyojung’s cheesecake. It was so sugary and fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth. Kevin sighed. The one who made the cheesecake was having hard time for some reason he didn’t get to know.

                Can’t Hyojung give him some chance to help her? Or did she think the hug they shared was the only one she needed? Kevin shook his head.

                He groaned when he heard the soft knock on his front door. Night visitor again, he mumbled. It could be one of his friends who didn’t know how to spend time well at their own house. It could be Eli again, telling him about his proposal.

                Kevin opened the door with a frown but the frown faded when he saw Hyemi.

                “Kevin oppa, can I come in?”

 

                Hyemi returned home after going to the store to do some grocery shopping. She had to say that she’s not shocked when she heard her sister crying loudly in her bedroom. Hyemi just knew it that it had to do something with that ungrateful boyfriend of hers. After she was done arranging some stuff inside the fridge and the kitchen cabinet, she went to Hyojung’s bedroom.

                Hyojung did not look like Hyojung at all when Hyemi spotted her sitting on the floor with her hair all messy and too much tears on her cheeks. Hyemi rubbed her face repeatedly and gave her sister a hug from the back. Even though they kept arguing, her sister was still the best sister she had ever had in the whole universe and she didn’t like to see her sad. Like now.

                “Unnie, stop it.” Hyemi said. Hyojung held her sister’s hands and tried to stop crying. She just couldn’t. Everything was just too throbbing for her. Hyemi hugged her tighter and leaned her head against Hyojung’s back.

                “Unnie, tell me what’s wrong. You know you can trust me, right?” She muttered.

                Hyojung shut her eyes and turned around. She reached for her sister and sobbed in her shoulder. Hyemi her hair softly. She never saw her sister being overly sad like this. It was different from how she cried over a man in the past.

                The older sister’s sobs began to slowly turn into small hiccups. Hugs were really nice and she felt a little calm in the inside. Actually, she had stopped crying when Kevin held her close to him. She was too comfortable that she didn’t realize Kevin was laughing softly at her for crying too much. But really, Kevin’s hugs were the warmest and she really hoped that Kevin didn’t have to go that time.

                “Hyemi.” Hyojung’s lips quivered. She expected Hyemi’s going to rage once she said it. Like it or not, she had to tell her because Hyemi didn’t like secrets and she needed to let this burden off her chest even though it’s just a little piece of it.

                “Is it him? Is it Byunghun guy?” Hyemi looked into her sister’s eyes.

                “We broke up.” Hyojung lowered her head. The tears were starting to form again but she wiped them off. She didn’t want to appear weak in front of Hyemi.

                “The reason?”

                Hyojung shook her head. She didn’t want to tell Hyemi because she’s going to blame Byunghun. It wasn’t Byunghun fault after all.

                “He’s marrying someone.” Hyojung muttered.

                The younger looked at her in disbelief. “That man! He’s in relationship and then he fell in love with you? He’s two timing you, unnie.” She hissed.

                “Hyemi, he had no choice. His ex-girlfriend came back to him, forcing him to marry her because she said he made her pregnant.” She sighed.

                “And you believe it?” Hyemi frowned.

                “Yes. We talked it out and he just.. I don’t know. He’s not lying and and I know he’s not good at lying. He was honest when he said he loves me. I just don’t know, Mimi. It’s too hard for me. And he said never made love with that woman before for God’s sake!”

                Hyojung wailed and Hyemi suddenly felt bad. She shouldn’t blame everything on Byunghun when she – in fact – knew that he made her sister happy all the time when both of them were together. Who’s that stupid ex-girlfriend of him? She didn’t know but she’s going to pray before bed that nothing’s going to work out that girl’s plan to have Byunghun until the day she died. Yeah, she’s cruel like that. Even though Byunghun and her sister wouldn’t be together, she just hoped that Byunghun didn’t have such pathetic life with a woman he didn’t deserve.

                “It’s going to be okay, unnie. Don’t let things like this get in your way.” Hyemi hugged her sister again and realized that Hyojung smelled a bit like a man. “Why do you smell like musk and green apple?”

                Kevin. Kevin smelled like musk and green apple. It was so pleasant and nice and Hyojung just loved it. Maybe she clung onto him way too long when she shamelessly cried in front of him.

                Hyojung pulled away. “Oh, Kevin came to send me my blazer and I just got emotional and hugged him. Ah, it’s embarrassing when I think about it.” She cupped her face. But it’s fine, she guessed. She didn’t mind crying in front of him because she knew she needed someone like him at that time. Did she mention that she felt nervous when Kevin planted a kiss on top of her head?

                “Oh, that’s embarrassing. Anyway, I’m glad you’re close with Kevin oppa. He’s nice.” Hyemi commented. Since they’d gone to work together lately, Hyemi couldn’t help but admiring how gentleman and kind Kevin was. Hyojung always told her about him, about their lunch together, and about how stupid he was sometimes.

                That’s it. Since they’re closer now, Hyemi thought it would be best to tell Kevin to take care of her sister properly. She wanted Kevin to understand how Hyojung felt at the moment and tell him to not take everything to heart if her sister ignored him. Yes, she’s going to do that.

                “Ah, my car is ready! They said I can go take it tomorrow.” Hyojung said. She was waving her phone at her and there was a grin on her face. Maybe she forgot about the breakup for a few minutes.

                “That’s cool!” Hyemi smiled. “Hey, I’m going somewhere. Cook dinner, please?”

                “I don’t feel like cooking but hmm, what do you want to eat?”

                “Noodles! Just do anything with noodles.”

                Hyemi waved at her sister, took her jacket and rushed to Kevin’s house.

 

                “Oh sure, come in!” Kevin let the bubbly Hyemi walked in. “Do you want tea?”

                Hyemi waved her hands. “No, no. It’s fine. I just want to tell you something.” She nodded.

                Kevin crossed his arms under his chest. It must be about Hyojung. He couldn’t think of any other reason why the girl was coming here when it’s almost fully dark outside there.

                “What is it, Hyemi?” Kevin asked.

                “Well, uh, you know that my sister wasn’t not feeling fine, right?” Hyemi looked at him nervously.

                “Yes, is there something wrong with her?” Kevin squinted at her.

                “Hmm, I think she will tell you herself since both of you are closer now.” She nodded. “I want to tell you that please take care of her properly since she’s not very cool right now and when she ignores you, please don’t take it to the heart. She was just in the middle of ruckus and I just want you to understand.” Hyemi bit her lip. Ah, she felt like telling him about the break-up thing too but she knew she didn’t have the right to say so.

                Kevin felt itchy to know about it but he just nodded at every word coming out from Hyemi. “Fine. I’m not the type that got angry when people ignore me, you know. Just a little irritated.”

                “I’m sorry on behalf of my sister, really. But I’m glad you somehow calmed her. Thanks.” Hyemi flashed a bright smile.

                “You’re welcome. There’s no need to say sorry. She didn’t do anything bad to me.” Kevin chuckled.

                “Just in case.” Hyemi shrugged. Then, he looked at ramen cup on top of the coffee table. “Is that your dinner, oppa?”

                Kevin looked at it as well and sighed. “Well, the perk of being single man.”

                “Aish, try to cook something next time.” She beamed. “I’m going now. Happy eating!” She waved at him as Kevin opened the door for her.

                Kevin patted her head. She was so bubbly that she looked like she had no problem with her life at all. “Yes, happy eating to me. Be careful on your way home.”

                He closed the door and proceeded eating his ramen. Hmm, he guessed he really had to treat Hyojung well.

 

                Kevin saw a rather cheerful Hyojung skipping to his car and opened the door with a flashy smile. She was pretending and he just knew it. He thought he just had to play along with Hyojung in order to let her face lit up again with her beautiful smile.

                “Good morning.” Kevin greeted. Hyojung, again, smelled like fresh lemon. It was refreshing and somehow made Kevin felt so energetic.

                “Morning!” Hyojung beamed. She wanted to forget all the things happened yesterday and would try her best to move on.

                “How are you feeling today?”

                “A little better.” She nodded.

                “That’s great to hear.” Kevin began to drive. The urge to ask her why she was crying itched him but he didn’t want to spoil her mood. She looked like she’s getting over it.

                “Kevin.” Hyojung called.

                “Yes?”

                “My car is ready at the workshop. Can you bring me there after work?” She said.

                Oh, that means he wouldn’t get to send Hyojung anymore. So, he had to go to work all alone again without no one chatting with him?  He bit a sigh and nodded.

                “Sure.” Kevin smiled.

                Hyojung wanted to tell him about the thing yesterday but she’s scared she might just let her feelings conquered her state of mind. She didn’t want Kevin to keep question about it even though he didn’t ask her anything. She knew he was curious.

                “Thank you.” Hyojung grinned.

                Kevin glanced at her. It was very nice to see her smiling. His heart was blooming and it was all her fault for smiling like that.

                “You’re welcome, Hyojung.”

                Hyojung played with her fingers. She thought she had to tell him. “Thanks for yesterday, Kevin. I really appreciate your hug.”

                He nodded happily. “You can always ask for a hug from me. I love hugging people.” When Kevin glanced at her again, he noticed she looked nervous – like she wanted to tell something but she’s afraid of she’s going to feel about it.

                “Tha’ts cool.” Hyojung flashed a small smile. She felt her eyes stung with tears again. “Kevin, you know Byunghun, right?”

                Her lips trembled and he didn’t like the emotion he was getting from her. Her voice was shaky. And now – today – was the day she mentioned Byunghun’s name after more than a week of hearing nothing about him. Kevin sensed something not good happened between them.

                “Yes, Byunghun. I know him. Why?”

                She started to sniff. “We’re not together anymore.”

                Kevin looked at her. She was struggling to not cry and Kevin stopped the car when he found a suitable place to park it. What was wrong with their relationship? They were happy and this news sounded so wrong to him

                Hyojung gave up and cried. “I’m sorry, I don’t know why I’m telling you this.”

                Kevin unbuckled his seat belt and patted her shoulder. He wanted to hug her but there’s no room inside his car so he just gave her some soft pats. “Is that why you were crying yesterday?”

                She nodded. Hyojung pulled him and hugged him even though it was very awkward to hug freely in such small space. “I love him but we just had to.”

                “Hmm, this crybaby.” Kevin hugged her tighter and then pulled away. He wiped her tears using his hands and then unconsciously pecked her forehead. Hyojung seized the warm feeling she was having and cried even more.

                “Don’t cry now, you’re gonna look like an ugly witch if you keep crying.” He passed some tissues to her and made her wipe the tears off.

                Hyojung hit his arm. “I’m crying but you’re still teasing me!”

                Kevin sighed. “Sorry, I just want you to stop feeling this way. You need to cheer up. You still have long way to go.”

                Hyojung stared at his face and she felt her heart swell with a little hint of happiness. He looked upset and she understood it was her who made him felt like that. It’s hard to difficult why Kevin cared so much about her. But she loved the attention he gave her. She felt like someone actually loved her for what she was.

                “You’re right.” Hyojung nodded.

                “We need a positive Hyojung here, not a negative one, alright?” Kevin chuckled and put his hands on the steering.

                “Sure.” She smiled.

                They continued their morning routine which was talking heavily about their days and Kevin was very glad that Hyojung went back to her lovely self. It’s going to take a lot of time for her to heal and Kevin promised to himself that he would do his best to help her.

                “Anyway, Hyojung. Let’s go drinking this Saturday night?” Kevin suggested.

                “I’m in!”