Love's Not Here

Kevin Woo, I Object Your Love { discontinued }

this one is about KevinxYunhee . enjoy!

comments. don't forget that ^^


 

                Two days more and it’d be the day he had to help his ex-girlfriend, Yunhee going through the process of divorcement with her abusive husband. Kevin didn’t understand the lucky man who married Yunhee. Why on earth would he cheat on her, returning home late with smell of booze and other woman’s perfume? Didn’t he understand Yunhee was his wife and he was supposed to take care of her?

                “And beating her up just made it worse.” Kevin rubbed his face and put down the report on the table.

                He stared at the cheesecake that Hyojung gave him that evening. It looked wonderful with yellowish layer of cheese and mountains of strawberries on top of it. Kevin couldn’t help himself his lips almost every minute. He was still full from dinner and he waited for a little more time to have his stomach at ease so he could eat the cheesecake peacefully. He put the plate of cheesecake into the fridge so it’d be chilly to eat later.

                Kevin took back the report and scanned it once again. He needed to tell Yunhee about some things she had to show while in the court later. She had to show some scars – evidence – on how her husband had abused her. He looked at the photos of the bruises and they made Kevin’s blood boil all of sudden.

                “Animal.” He mumbled.

                Punching in Yunhee’s phone number, he placed his phone next to his ear. He realized it was quite late for him to call her but he knew Yunhee could spare some time about this matter.

                “Hey there, Yunhee speaking.” The voice on the other side said. Kevin felt himself smiling when he heard her. Once, it used to be the reason Kevin was so excited to call someone and wished her good morning. But now, it was just a conversation between a client and a lawyer. His smile faded.

                “Yunhee, this is Kevin.” He said after he composed himself. Kevin tried to prevent from being pulled by the memories of him and her. Why must he think about the times when they were together?

                “Oh, hey.” A sudden pause. She was still uncomfortable after the meeting with Kevin, he guessed. “It’s 9pm, why do you call?”

                Kevin winced at her cold voice. As expected, she was really not in the mood of talking to him. “I want to discuss about the divorce with you. Do you have a few minutes to kill?”

                “I don’t know. I’m going to the park with my mother later.” She sighed.

                “I’ll be there too.” Kevin spoke. He didn’t care. He wanted to get everything by that night so he could prepare well for the case. Abuse is a serious case and he didn’t want the abuser to slip out through his fingers just like that.

                He heard Yunhee sighed again. “Sure. I’ll be waiting.” Then she hung up, leaving Kevin dumbfounded. He was still in the middle of looking for something to say but there it was, Yunhee disconnected.

                Kevin went to his bedroom to change his outfit. He brought along his jacket in case it would be chilly just like the night when Hyemi was freezing. Summer was unpredictable these days. Climate change, they said.

                Driving his way to the park, he glanced at a small box of cheesecake on the passenger seat next to him. Kevin brought it because he wanted to have some nice sweet in his mouth while discussing things with Yunhee. He acknowledged that eating while meeting client was not allowed but since they’re meeting outside of working hours –and in their comfortable clothes – he thought it’d be just fine.

                Kevin waited at a bench near the playground. He opened the box a little and stabbed a fork to the cheesecake, stealing a bite of it. Kevin widened his eyes at the taste of the smooth texture in his mouth. Hyojung’s cheesecake was indeed different. He could taste some lemon and cinnamon in it. Not too strong, not too soft and the originality of cheesecake was still sustained. The strawberries made the cake more tasty and Kevin couldn’t be any happier that tha.

                He was craving for another bite but when he saw Yunhee walking towards him together with her mother, he put the box aside. Kevin stood up to greet Yunhee’s mother. He missed that old woman. She treated him well when he was Yunhee’s boyfriend and Kevin really liked her. And he could say that she liked him too.

                “Ah, it’s you, Kevin!” She exclaimed as she threw a hug on him. Kevin hugged her back and smiled. Yunhee chuckled slightly at her mother’s reaction and then sat down on the bench.

                “You’re getting handsome.” Yunhee’s mother ruffled his hair.

                “Thank you. You’re getting prettier, ma’am.” Kevin nodded.

                “Aigoo, don’t compliment me.” She patted her own cheeks and despite the dark sky and dim lights around them, Kevin could see her blushing madly.

                “You too, don’t compliment me too much. I’m just the same old Kevin.” He chuckled.

                “Whatever. I’m going to go for a walk. You two discuss what you have to discuss, alright?”

                She walked away from them. Kevin then turned around to see Yunhee who was smiling at the sight of her mother getting excited for her night walk. He sat down beside her. Now, how would he start this little convo her? Should he wait until she looked at him? Or should he just interrupt her?

                “So, what are we going to talk about?” Yunhee looked at him.

                Kevin flashed a small smile. Hmm, didn’t have to be awkward now. When he looked at her properly, he felt his heart blooming. She was very pretty just like the first time he met her. The strands of hair that covered a little part of her face – oh how Kevin hoped he could move them away and placed them behind her ear.

                He flied down to earth and got back to reality. “I’m going to explain to you on how you should respond to his lawyer when he asks you questions, show the juries your bruise when I ask you to do so, and respect everyone in the court.”

                Yunhee became interested and she shifted her sitting position so she could be more comfortable. “Tell me. I’m listening.”

                Kevin was glad she wanted to listen to him. He held the small box of cheesecake and placed it on his lap. Cheesecake can wait. He had to tell the most important things to her first.

                “First of all, maintain your eye contact when you’re interacting with his lawyer. Show confidence in every single answer and please don’t stutter. I know you’re going to be scared since this is your first time but some boldness in you could scare him off.” Kevin explained. He hoped Yunhee caught all the words and kept them in her memory box.

                “The lawyer?” She asked. She looked somehow nervous and Kevin felt like hugging her and told her that everything was going to be okay. But who was he to hug her randomly?

                “Yes. His lawyer. You just need to be confident and that’s all.” He assured.

                “Alright.” She chuckled. “Forgive me if I forgot this point when we’re in the court.”

                “Yunhee, you won’t forget this.” Kevin gazed at her. “I believe in you.”

                Yunhee gulped and looked anywhere but him. She suddenly felt her heart hammering the wall of her chest repeatedly when Kevin stared at her like that. Biting her lower lip to stop herself from feeling that way towards Kevin, she moved her eyes back to him.

                “Thank you, let’s hope I won’t forget then.” Yunhee smiled.

                Kevin smiled back. “You won’t. Now about the bruises.” He tapped his chin. “When I tell the juries about the bruises, I’ll ask you to show them some of those on your hands and legs. Don’t tell them anything unless they ask you something. It’s my job to work on it and not yours.”

                Yunhee nodded, totally absorbing all of the instructions. She noticed he was quite serious when it comes to his priority of defending and protecting his client and Yunhee felt amazed of his charismatic side.

                “Oh, the next one?” She said.

                “Hmm, don’t just in when people are talking. Don’t make weird gestures. Don’t do immature stuff. Just sit and listen and speak up when they ask you.” Kevin shrugged. He wanted to open the box of cheesecake really bad now.

                “That’s it?” Yunhee asked.

                “Yes, that’s it.” Kevin nodded. “Why? Do you have any questions?”

                Yunhee shook her head and played with her fingers. “Nope. No questions.”

                “Alright.” Kevin smiled. He then looked at his cheesecake and with a big smile he ate a bite of it. Yunhee just looked at him and Kevin forgot that he was supposed to offer her some (even though he brought a slice of it). Manners manners manners.

                “Oh, do you want some?” Kevin offered. He held out the box to her and showed her the content inside it.

                Yunhee stretched out her neck to have a look and she grinned. She loved cheesecake. She also knew Kevin loved cheesecake. “Cheesecake?”

                Kevin chuckled. “Yes, it’s cheesecake. But this one is out of ordinary. You should have a taste. It’s heaven.”

                “Ah, it’s okay. I already ate at home.” Yunhee waved her hand around and motioned him to eat first.

                “Yunhee, you’re a fan of cheesecake and we both know it.” Kevin gave her the box and handed a fork to her.

                Yunhee slowly sliced a small bit of the cake and brought the sweet treat to her lips. The smell of lemon overcame the strong smell of cheese that she often complained about when she bought cheesecake back then. Carefully, she swiped the treat through her lips and tasted the sweet creamy harmony in .

                “Where did you buy this?” Yunhee asked excitedly. She was still figuring out the weird yet unique taste of the dessert that she apparently loved.

                “My neighbor made it.” Kevin told her. “It’s nice, isn’t it?”

                Yunhee smiled. “It is.”

                Kevin leaned his back to the bench and looked up to the sky. Yunhee chewed on the cheesecake and sometimes glanced at the man sitting next to her. He looked so…. how should she say? Handsome? Yes, handsome. Just like what her mother said. And Kevin was still the same. He cared for her and he even helped her going through the bitterness of her life. Why did she left Kevin when the man was actually perfect for her and loved her more than anyone else? Her heart sighed but she just couldn’t love him anymore. It didn’t do any of them right.

                “Oh, you guys done?” They were greeted with Yunhee’s mother’s voice. She sounded cheerful, probably happy with the walk.

                Both Yunhee and Kevin nodded.

                “Yes, umma.” Yunhee said. “Do you want to go home now?”

                “Yes, I need some black tea. I’ll go first, will be waiting at the car, eh.” She grinned and left her daughter alone with Kevin again.

                Kevin chuckled and took the empty box of cheesecake. He was disappointed that Yunhee ate it all but he thought it was fine. He still had more slices at home. Yunhee watched him pouting a little and she looked away. She rubbed her tummy to calm herself. That feeling came again and she didn’t want it. Yunhee didn’t want to have any feeling towards him anymore. And that is it.

                “So, it’s time for us to go home.” Kevin stood up and helped Yunhee to stand on her feet. Thank goodness Kevin was there. Usually, it was her mother who helped her to stand if she really couldn’t bring herself to do so.

                Kevin held her hand tightly until she was stable and unconsciously, he blushed. Yunhee caught him and she felt herself having red on her cheeks. She stared at his lips and she let out a sigh.

                “There, you’re good to go.” Kevin coughed a bit before releasing her hand.

                Yunhee couldn’t stand it anymore. She pulled Kevin for a kiss and kissed the man’s lips softly. Kevin didn’t respond. To be more accurate, he didn’t know how to respond. He was confused. Slowly, with Yunhee who was still trying to get him to kiss her back, he pulled away and took a step to the back.

                Yunhee let out a frustrated groan and messed her own hair. “I’m sorry. I don’t know why…” She’s loss of words. She didn’t know why she kissed him. She didn’t understand why she did it in the first place.

                Kevin took a deep breath. He didn’t see that coming and he was clearly still in shocked. It felt so wrong. It felt so wrong to have her kissing him. He’s aware of his feelings for her and it was still there but that kiss was just… wrong. He didn’t deserve it.

                “I…. I think you should go now. Let’s just pretend that this thing never happened.” Kevin looked down.

                Yunhee bit her lower lip and started crying. “I’m sorry. I just… suddenly missed you and..”

                “Yunhee, this is not what you wanted, alright?” Kevin said. “I’m not your choice. I wasn’t your choice.”

                She sobbed. “I know. And I was wrong.”

                Kevin hugged her and let his shirt soaked with her tears as Yunhee began to cry even more. God, he missed hugging her but he had to remember that he’s doing this because he loved her and he wanted her to be happy.

                “It’s fine.” Kevin whispered.

                Yunhee pulled away from him and wiped the tears stained on her cheeks. “I’m really sorry about earlier.”

                Kevin smiled. “I said it’s fine.” He could still remember the softness of her lips on his but he decided to just forget it. He didn’t want himself to mess up his own feeling. If he wanted the best for the two of them, he needed to completely forget Yunhee – and he’d been trying until now.

                The woman looked at the wet patch on his shirt and laughed. Kevin looked at the direction of her eyes and noticed the laughter coming out from his mouth as well. He patted the wet part playfully.

                “Aww, you cried a lot.” He joked.

                Yunhee frowned. “I’m sorry, okay.”

                Kevin continued to until it was the time for her to really go home. He waved her goodbye as he watched her walking toward her car, getting inside, and hearing the sound of honk from her. A smile appeared on his lips. Even though the night was confusing, he knew everything’s going to be well.

                Heading home, he was filled with the thought of how to send back the plate that Hyojung gave to him together with the cheesecake. He should give it back to her with some nice food on it. Kevin didn’t want to buy anything from outside and just drop them on it. He wanted to make something.

                He dropped by the supermarket and decided to buy some ingredients. Maybe he’d just go with spaghetti. Spaghetti was nice to eat. Or maybe olio. Lasagna could be good too.