Moonlight Walking, I Smell Your Softness

Playing With Fire

 

As their manager sat, Minki shifted in his chair. This meeting hadn’t had him on his toes so much before as it had now. The dense atmosphere that surrounded him pushed on his chest at he sat as calmly as he could.

 

Aaron and Dongho sat side by side, only to the right of Joonkin, blissfully unaware of the tense look on his face. Nothing good could come of Joonkin looking angry, and Minki knew that, if he knew anything, well. Jonghyun sat as still as possible as the loud click of heels could be heard echoing in the hall. Joonkin stood, followed by the rest, as the door opened to reveal the most stern-faced woman any of them had ever seen.

 

“Good evening, boys.” the woman smiled; if you could have called it that. The corners of her lips curled upwards, for sure, but there was something about her that Minki could almost smell was not good at all. With a bow, the six males sat. The more the blonde stared, the more he learned. Shifting again, his face was unsure as the woman pulled a folder from her suitcase.

 

Without a word, six identical pieces of paper were scattered across the table. Jonghyun and Joonkin were the first to reach for it, followed by a confidant Dongho and lastly by Aaron, and then Minki.

 

As the blonde’s flawless almond eyes scanned the paper, they watered, instantly looking to Jonghyun across the table. The brunette’s eyes were still stuck, hovering above the words. Keeping his head down to hide the tears that almost ran to his cheeks, Minki reread the notice. Joonkin said something in a voice that Minki knew was an angry one, but he paid no attention as the words stuck out at him.

 

BaekRen.

 

“Is this really necessary, Yuh----.”

 

Joonkin stood quickly, the woman nodding in response to his flustered question.

 

“This is only for the fans. That’s what you claim them to be all for; is that right, Mister Kim.?”

“That’s right. But----”

“Allow me to cut you off right there, Joonkin. It is as Han-shii says it is.”

 

Jonghyun took it upon himself to stand, his hands firm on the table as he did so. The manager extended an arm, nearly pushing him back down his chair. The leader sat, his gaze far from anyone.

 

“I can’t even.” Aaron laughed in the midst of the arguing. “Is this---- are you trying to ship Baekho and Ren.?”

“Not I, Mister Kwak.”

 

Aaron continued to chuckle as Dongho and Minhyun both stayed quiet, their faces clearly askew at the request of the company. Jonghyun was outraged, and it showed; but Minki kept his face hidden as best as he could. Considering standing and giving his own opinion, that idea quickly left his mind as the first tear ran down his cheek. He was certain that there was no way they could hide themselves after this.

 

“This is ridiculous, Yu Hi----”

“Not in a meeting, Joonkin.”

“This is ridiculous, Rin-ssi.!”

 

“Don’t.!” the woman now known as Yuhi, or Misses Rin, shouted in exclamation. Collecting herself, Yuhi sat, straightening her skirt and clearing . “It’s what Han-gun wants to see. I can’t help that.” she explained, pausing just a couple of times in between her words.

 

Joonkin sat as well, nodding and looking to Jonghyun for a sort of encouragement; he found none. Turning back to the head of the table, Joonkin stared, Jonghyun’s own head following suit. Still, Minki refused to watch.

 

“Fine.” Joonkin replied after moments of comprehension. Yuhi rose with a final nod and less than a single word, the door closing quietly behind her

“This is the dumbest thing.... is this what SM does to SHINee.?” Aaron questioned, still giddy over the paper.

“I’m not letting them do this, you know.” Jonghyun directed towards the manager. Joonkin twitched his head to the side again.

“You’ll do as she says.” were the only words that Joonkin spoke before following the woman in exit.

 

Cutting his vision in the direction of Dongho, Jonghyun spoke again. “You’re not okay with this, are you.?”

Dongho rose his head at once and shook it. “I.... of course not.”

 

Looking to the rest of the members, they all spoke in time.

 

“I’ve got no opinion, other than the question; is this what they do to all of their idols.? Not just Pledis, but.” Minhyun buzzed.

 

“I’m all for whatever the company asks of us, hyung. But they want you to do what.?” Aaron looked between Minki and Dongho. “Do what Jjong and Taemin did on stage in Seoul.?” He nearly shivered at the thought.

 

“I’m not sure I even.... did they say BaekRen.?” Dongho asked himself out loud as he pulled the paper to his face again.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes did not skim Minki, afraid of what he might have seen. Inside, though, the leader ached to know what he was thinking.


Minki’s eyes were a blur as he contemplated using the strength he was already using to keep himself contained, to acknowledge the question; but chose against it quickly. Jonghyun, finally, allowed himself to look at the mess that was his boyfriend, but regretted it very soon after. The blonde rose as soon as he felt eyes on him, and made way for the door.