Beautiful and Terrifying, Lit and Restless

Playing With Fire

            The sound still rang in his ears even minutes later when Minki had stirred from his forced slumber. When he’d finally moved, he tugged at the chains only to come to find that he was, in fact,  bound to the wall. His blonde hair hung in his face and all of his usually bright colour was gone. Jonghyun resisted the restraints that held him against the wooden panel, despite the pain.

            “JR?”
            “Ren, thank God you’re okay.” Jonghyun tried hard to smile. He was genuinely happy, of course, that nothing had happened to Minki. He was worried still why they had been abducted as well. Though it was obvious to him that Pledis probably had no other choice but to off them all, he’d wished that that wasn’t the case.
            “Are you okay?” was all Minki could cough past his throat.
            “I’m fine. Did you hear that bang?”


            They both knew that the other had, but neither wanted to admit it. Minki was shaking with fright as the door opened once more. The CEO’s face was seen for the first time by Minki as he stood behind Jonghyun. He spoke in the most mild tone that he could, so low that they almost couldn’t hear him.

            “Don’t think I don’t know about you two.”

            Jonghyun’s eyes widened at the sound of his voice. “Han-ssi?” he asked, his voice as unshaken as he ever could have made it.
            “Yes, let me tell you all about it, Jonghyun.”

            Han stepped in between them both, the drill from Aaron’s previous deed, and the knife still coated in dry blood in his hand. The metal glittered in Minki’s eyes as he was level with it. He widened them and twitched backward in shock. Jonghyun’s eyes were hard, and he could only wonder what he was talking about. The leader looked to the maknae, and the maknae shrugged his shoulders as he backed against the wall. He still fought the restraints, and his hands were growing cold from lack of blood flow now. He grunted every time he tried pulling them free, but that did not stop Han from all that he was about to say.

            Han looked to Minki, his face unreadable as the small blonde looked up. His face was almost puppy-like, as if begging, pleading for release. Han had no mercy.

            “Baekho’s dead. Minhyun’s dead. Aron seems to have had a way with his weapons, if I do say so myself.”
            “Minhyun?” Minki stuttered as he held pressure on his hand.


            Jonghyun closed his eyes and tilted his head back. He knew that Baekho had been gone, and part of him was still thankful for that. Though he knew he shouldn’t feel that way, he was content in knowing that he was not a threat any longer. Minki shook again as the awful pang rung in his ears. He reached up to cover them, but placed his hands at his sides, knowing he couldn’t stop the flooding of horrible memories.

            “What’s this got to do with Aron?” Jonghyun almost spat, but he knew better. Minki watched, and wanted to alert him as he saw ounces of blood oozing from the elder’s wrists. He held out a hand, but Jonghyun couldn’t see him.
            “I cannot believe you have no idea. Were you really that blinded by him?” he asked as he swung around on the ball of his foot and stared at Minki.
            “Look, Han-ssi,” Jonghyun took a deep breath now. “I don’t know anything! I’ve been in the hospital. Please, just tell me. Where is Minhyun, at least?”

            “Ah, that’s another thing.” Han sighed as he paced the small room. “I’m sure you knew that it was his job, suited by you, to protect your secret.”
            “As if it ever really were a secret.” Minki muttered. Han knelt beside Minki and dove the dagger directly into his palm. It pierced his hand and he shouted in pain. Once it had subsided by only a small bit, enough for him to speak, he did so, looking Han directly in the eye.

            “It’s my fault.”
            “I know. But don’t place the blame all on yourself, Ren. Most of this was Aron’s doing. You were too pretty for his sanity.”

            Jonghyun’s head jerked forward and he stared at him. “You’re telling me Aron did all of this?” He could hardly believe his words. Something in his story didn’t seem to add up, but it was nonetheless believeable. Minki’s sobs could be heard in low volume every few seconds, but he hadn’t once taken his eyes from Jonghyun.

            “Oh, you should have seen it all. As a matter of fact,” Han paused for a moment and pointed high in the corner of the room to the carefully hidden camera that one could only see if told. “I’ve got it all on tape. I’ll bet you’d love to see it.”
            “No!” Jonghyun ordered at once. Han was nearly blown away by his word and stumbled back, only to more forward once again. “No, please.”

            “Fine.” Han said, stepping towards the door. He turned around again to retrieve the shiny dagger from the floor. He inspected it closely before looking to Jonghyun.

            “I couldn’t let anything get out, could I? The tabloids are already questioning Baekho’s absence. What would become of Pledis if I let the two of you go alone? Suspicions, I presume.” Jonghyun shook with fright as Han held the dagger to his forearm. Minki’s vision was blocked, but the whimpers of fear were enough to make him twitch in anger, fear and fright.

            Han held the sharp edge of the blade to Jonghyun’s skin and pulled it down slowly. He wanted to be sure that he’d done a deep enough job to end what was left of NU’EST. He had his own plan for Minki, but that was one of the last things on his mind as he removed the knife from the boy’s flesh and dug it into the other, pulling down just as carefully. Minki could see only the puddle of red blood pooling at their feet. He could hardly cry now. He’d have screampt in an attempt to end Han’s crime if he hadn’t feared for his life as well. All he could do was let out a long and deep sob from his stomach. He cringed in disgust as Han turned away, exiting the room and closing the door.


            “JR!” was the first thing out of Minki’s mouth when they were alone.
            Tears soaked Jonghyun’s face more now than they had ever before. “Ren!” He attempted to reach forward and touch his pure white skin for what very well could have been the last time.

            Minki fought and fought the chains that bound him, but could only get close enough as to graze his still burnt skin with the rubber sole of his shoe. Nothing he had ever experienced had hurt him more than being rendered unable to even touch the love of his life as the life slowly poured from his veins. The larger the puddle became, the whiter Jonghyun became. Minki spoke frantically, trying hard to keep him conscious.

            “You’re still as handsome as you always have been, JR.” he said, trying but failing to hold his tears back. Jonghyun smiled a weak smile, and for once, he was free of any misconception or regret. His eyes were happy, yet longing at once.
            “I love you, Ren. I told you.” he repeated his last few words slowly and carefully.
            “You told me what? JR, I love you too.”
            “You’d be the death of me.”
            “Don’t say that!” the blonde almost shouted at him. He would have reassured him that he’d have been fine, but he knew that was not the case and absolutely refused to lie to him again.
            “Do you remember when Rin first hired you, and when Joonkin took you to the practice room to meet us?” His breathing was shallow, but Minki nodded quickly. His vision was blurry with tears, but he saw him move. “When we saw you, I saw everyone’s faces light up, but I knew something.”

            Minki’s tears were pooling to the size of the spots of blood collecting, but he nodded. Biting down hard on his lip, he sniffled. “I love you, Jonghyun.”
            “I knew that you were the perfect addition to the group, but I also knew that you were what was going to ruin us. And I mean that in a good way.” he smiled as big as he possibly could. Minki smiled a toothy smile as he tried once again to come closer, and settled for only touching him by the sole of his shoe. How could they be as cruel as to place them only inches away?
            “And I knew that there was something about you that was different than everything else. I didn’t know what it was at first; I was too young to understand. But I know now.”

            His breath was even more shallow than before when he raised his hand to Minki.

            “I love you, Princess.”

            Minki’s chin dropped to his chest and quietly sighed. He didn’t have to look up to know that he was the only one in the room anymore. Jonghyun’s head hung to it’s side and rested quietly on his shoulder. The calm look on his face contrasted greatly with the horrible sight that was his forearms and everything lower.

             The blonde was the only of the five left, but he hadn’t known that. He was fine now, however, with the idea of Han coming back into the room to retrieve him and facing his own death. He never thought he’d come to this point, but here he was now, the empty shell of the beautiful maknae that every fan had held high on a pedestal, and he was dead.

            Or he might as well have been.