But I'll Grind Against Your Bones Until Our Marrows Mix

Playing With Fire

“It’s strange, isn’t it?” Dongho said out of the blue as he sat next to Minhyun the next morning, not paying attention to whatever was on the television this time. He kept his voice low, as if talking to himself as he knew his friend was hardly paying attention. Minhyun did not respond, either annoyed that he kept bringing up his conversation with Aaron, or he simply did not hear him. Either way, Dongho stood from his spot, making way for Aaron’s room.

 

He knocked on the door, and the elder opened it; his eyes were red and his hair a mess, as if he didn’t sleep all night. He noticed, flattening his hair with a hand as he closed the door behind the shorter of the two.

 

“You look horrible.” he mentioned, not meaning to sound as rude as he seemed to have. Aaron sniffled and nodded, moving quickly to the bathroom to check himself. He came out with a dry face, his eyes still red. “Did you sleep?”

 

“Not a wink.” he explained as he moved slowly towards the bed.

“Are you sick?”

 

Dongho knew exactly what was wrong, refusing to acknowledge it, as he could tell that he meant what he said the few days before. He felt anxious, fearing that he’d have nothing to say to console his friend. Dongho let him continue.

 

“In the mind, Baekho. I’m sick in the mind.” Aaron sniffled again, sitting on the bed with his back to his friend. Dongho listened. “I don’t know where these feelings came from, and it’s driving me nuts. I know that just yesterday I came up with the idea, but damn, Baekho. Damn.” he repeated as he set his face in his hands.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with you, you know. I don’t care that you’re gay.” Dongho shrugged. He turned to him, resting a hand on his shoulder.

 

“I’m not gay, he’s just so....”

 

While Aaron took a pause, Dongho nodded his head. He could tell that he needed time alone, but knew he wouldn’t let him leave, so he continued to listen.

 

“.... pretty.” Aaron wiped his eye and turned to look him in the eye.

“I should go?” Dongho in a questioning tone. Aaron nodded and he stood, exiting without a word.

 

Aaron pulled the desk drawer open from where he was sitting and pulled out a single photo, running a finger over Minki’s pale face. He was going crazy, and he knew it. Not from his, what was it now; love for Minki? But from how fast his feelings grew. He’d known him for years, why was it just after he’d realized that he’d be seen with someone else that the feelings uncovered themselves?

 

Aaron placed the photo next to him on the sheets, laying next to it and closing his wet eyes.

 

---

 

Dongho left the bedroom with his eyes askew as he thought. Aaron was more serious than he picked up on the days before. He was sure that he was the only one aware of how his friend felt, and that made him even more uneasy. He had to let someone else know now.

 

He’d never seen him like that before, Aaron. He’d never seen anyone he knew like that, to be quite honest. Dongho collected himself before inching down the stairs and into the kitchen where Jonghyun and Minki himself sat. His eyes lingered on the blonde as he stood across from them. Jonghyun stopped talking as he entered, and Minki watched him.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” the Leader inquired of him.

“Nothing.” he answered as he took a seat on a tall chair at the counter. He sighed a small sigh.

 

Jonghyun looked sparingly at him before continuing their conversation. Dongho ignored their words and admired the way the morning sun shone through Minki’s blonde hair. Aaron wasn’t the least bit off when he said Minki was pretty; Dongho would venture as far as to call the other boy beautiful. Yes, that was it. Minki was beautiful; he wasn’t going to deny it.

 

“And I don’t think it would be right to invite his ex, Ren. You know how he feels about— are you sure you’re okay, Baekho?” Jonghyun cut himself off.

 

“I’m fine.” Dongho lied. He took his gaze from Minki and smiled at his friend.

 

Jonghyun nodded, finishing his sentence. “You know how he feels about her.”

“But you know we’re good friends; we saw her the other day and no one even recognized her aside from me.” Minki finally spoke.

 

“Rebeckah?” Dongho asked, incorporating himself.

“Yep. He wants to invite her.”

“It could be good for them, JR.” Minki was flustered.

“I’d like to see what he’d say if she showed up.” Jonghyun argued in a playful manner, smiling the obtuse smile he usually did. Minki shot him an angry look before taking his tongue between his teeth. Dongho’s lips curled into a smile as he watched them.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes stayed on the maknae for a few seconds longer before he turned to the large bag of gifts on the counter next to him. Reaching a hand in as he lent over the table, Minki pulled out a small, stuffed, white tiger, and chuckled like an idiot until the others looked. Dongho reached for it, remembering his nickname and laughed with him.

 

“It’s got your name on it, Ren.”

 

With his hand back in the bag, Minki turned to him, a letter in his hand. He glanced at his name and nodded. “It looks like they like this BaekRen idea.” the muscular one agreed with himself. Minki sat flat on the chair, tearing the envelope open with his long fingers. Jonghyun followed suit with his as Dongho reached for a large box and brought it close to himself, unfastening the wrappings. As he removed the lid from his box, another smile appeared on his face.

 

“Guys, they got us candy canes!” he exclaimed. Candy canes were Dongho’s most favourite candy as he learned quickly after visiting the United States for the first time; it was a very sad thought of his that they were so scarce around Korea.

“Yah, no way!” Jonghyun shouted as he looked down into the box, taking one and opening it quickly, shoving it into his mouth.

“Babo, those are mine! Read it! Kang Baek Ho!”

 

 

 

 


 

Haven't left my readers a note in a while. How you guys doing.? :3.