I Wake In Terror, Blackbirds Screaming

Playing With Fire

Minki laid in bed. He knew that Jonghyun wouldn’t be there to meet him that night. With the last time he’d seen him being a bloodied mess, tears still swelled in his eyes. It was him, now, that wanted to know exactly what it was all about. He found it against his best wishes to know, however.
 

Knowing that he hadn’t been able to sleep without the company of his not too secret boyfriend since they’d begun sneaking into each others’ rooms at night, he rolled over, his eyes open. He was wide awake. Minki sat up, the blankets still around him as he stared at the photo of he and Jonghyun on the desk across from him. He smiled small as he turned to look at the pillow next to his. It was only a second before he’d buried his face into it, taking in his essence through his pale nose. It was clear that Minki had missed him; that was without a doubt. He hugged the pillow close before plucking his cellular phone from the nightstand. He typed a message.
 

Are you okay? I miss you.
 

He pressed send. He had only half expected the screen to light up as he placed it in the pocket of his bed pants. Minki pulled the pillow close to him again. Still, he couldn’t sleep. Jonghyun’s face had caught up with his mind again, and almost as quickly as it had come, he’d become furious at Aaron for doing what he did. His hands balled into fists, and he became so angry as to release a few tears from an eye. They hit Jonghyun’s pillow.
 

Minki rose from the bed, headed for the door. Perhaps someone else was awake. He’d hoped that Aaron had already gone to bed. He knew of more fun things to do at this hour than get in an argument and possibly have his own face slammed into a glass door. As his hand fell on the doorknob, he looked back into his dark room. He retraced his steps to the bed, taking the pillow with him as he exited.
 

---
 

“I’m going to bed.” Minhyun alerted Dongho as he looked to the clock. It was nearly midnight. Minhyun flicked the television off, and the shorter of the two turned to him suddenly.

“Goodnight.” he told him, his face how it had been the entire night. The two hadn’t bothered to talk about what had happened. Minhyun remembered the look on Jonghyun’s face when he’d warned him not to mention anything, and mention he wouldn’t. Minhyun his heel towards the stairwell, climbing as quietly as he could to his bedroom. Minki appeared from his doorway, and Minhyun nodded at him.
 

Dongho remained on the sofa, pondering whether or not to turn the television back on. His eyes darted for the stairs as he heard a set of feet descending. Into his view came a set of long, blonde locks, and he knew immediately who it was. He stayed silent, only watching him from the corner of his eye.
 

The room was dark, and Minki could hardly see. He hugged the pillow to his chest as he moved down the stairs. When he reached the bottom, he turned into the entry, headed for the living room. Halfway there, a loud thud was heard throughout the house as he stubbed his smallest toe against the doorframe. Without a sound, he dropped the pillow and replaced his empty hand with his foot. He hobbled around on his other foot before steadying himself against the wall. When the pain subsided, he let go of his foot and glanced around the room. Noticing that the living room light was on, he picked up the pillow again, walking there slowly this time.
 

Dongho eyed him the entire way. When Minki stopped at the edge of the couch, he put the pillow down first, and then plopped down beside the other, hands in his lap as he rested against it. It was moments before the blonde turned to look at him, as he’d not taken his eyes from him the whole time. Minki’s eyes were still red from tiredness and the occasional tear, and Dongho could tell.
 

“What?” the maknae asked as he turned, sniffling. The vocalist shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. Minki took the pillow back in his arms as he felt his phone vibrate. He pulled it from his pocket eagerly and opened the message.
 

I’m with Joonkin, are you okay?
 

Minki replied almost instantly.
 

Of course I’m okay. I can’t sleep without you. My bed’s cold.
 

He replaced the device in his pocket and stared forward as he waited. Dongho inched closer, and Minki noticed. He didn’t move, however. Not even when he felt the elder’s hand on his. He quickly shifted as the phone vibrated again.
 

I have to sleep on the couch. I don’t know how I’m supposed to do that. It’s hard and it’s cold in here and I can’t hold you.
 

Minki half smiled at his response. He shook Dongho’s hand from his, typing again.
 

I have to cuddle your pillow, it’s not as half as good as you.
 

Dongho had hardly had his mind on what he was doing as his fingers trailed up the other’s side. Rubbing his forearm smoothly as he typed, his fingers found the other’s again, and laced them. Minki’s mind was far from his body as he thought of Jonghyun. He wasn’t far away at all, and he knew that. He could have easily drove there, if Aaron hadn’t had the keys to the car in his jacket upstairs. He hugged the pillow again, nuzzling his nose deep into it. Dongho adjusted himself on the sofa, still wearing his jeans from that day. Minki’s mind had had the chance to wander all over the world before he’d noticed Dongho’s hand.
 

“We’re not in public, hyung.” he reminded him as he stayed still. “You don’t have to put the moves on me.”

“I’m n— oh.” Dongho said, remembering now that it was Minki he was touching. He’d known that of course, but he’d drifted so far away from himself that he had almost forgotten. Come to think of it, he had almost forgotten what it was like to touch someone like he was touching Minki now. It had been eternity since he’d even thought about anything like what he was doing now. This touch, as simple as it was, was so foreign to him that he’d hardly realized what it had meant. If Minki hadn’t noticed, he probably would have continued. Pulling away, Minki caught him, placing his hand in his again.

“It’s okay, though.” he told him. Of course, it wasn’t, but he was too tired to care who had laid down next to him at this point; he’d just wanted to sleep.
 

Dongho smiled, his facial muscles completely disconnected with his willing and conscious mind. He nodded, tracing his thumb over the soft top of Minki’s hand. He watched his chest rise and fall as he breathed, and his lips as he over them many times. With his elbow against Minki’s pocket, he felt the phone vibrate again.
 

I’m thinking of you, Ren. I love you.
 

Minki typed his message as quickly as the other had come.
 

I love you, JR.
 

He sunk back into the couch and looked to his friend. It was several seconds before he’d thought of the right thing to say.
 

“I want you to sleep with me.” were the words that left his flawless, pink lips. Dongho’s eyes widened at his request. He nodded. Minki did not bother to correct himself, figuring that it was obvious that he didn’t mean anything by it other than an innocent cuddle to put him to sleep; what was all he needed.
 

Minki clutched the pillow still. Dongho took his hand again and lead him through the entry and up the stairs. They entered the blonde’s room. Minki was the first to sit on the bed, placing the pillow back in it’s spot and laid his head on it, covering himself in the sheets. He felt Dongho climb in. He brushed against him only slightly, awaiting command.
 

“Put your arm around me.” he requested. Dongho followed his order, still not fully aware of his own actions. Minki buried his face as he pulled his arm around him tighter, imagining his boyfriend instead. His scent made it’s way to his nose again and he smiled, but shivered with a few teardrops. Dongho asked no questions, but rested his head on the mattress between the pillows. He hadn’t meant to, but when he’d noticed what he was doing he flinched, only to be pulled back my Minki’s grip. The way the blonde’s skin had scratched against his brought him back to his body.
 

Dongho’s hand took on it’s own thoughts as it ran up and down Minki’s forearm again. The blonde didn’t move. One could believe that he was asleep, but Dongho knew otherwise. He propped himself on an elbow, planting a single, light kiss just below his ear. Again, Minki didn’t tremble. Perhaps he was asleep. Dongho didn’t care either way. His lips still rested on Minki’s skin, and as he lifted them, he placed another kiss on his cheek, and another on his lips. Minki’s eyes didn’t flutter. He repeated himself again, he kiss heavier this time. He was sure he was in a dream; he and Minki both. He pulled his arm from around the blonde and placed him on his back, smoothing his white hair behind an ear.
 

“You’re so beautiful.” he whispered. He didn’t care much if Minki had heard him, yet, he hoped for sure that he hadn’t. Being as tired as he was, he laid against his cleft arm and fallen asleep after him, his body warmed by Minki’s.
 

The cell phone vibrated again, but both of them were too deep in sleep to bother opening the message.

 

I love you more than there are stars.