Team

Matchmaking sensation

In Krystal's head

She saw me. I saw her.

But I walk pass through her. Ignoring our eye contact. There's this barrier that separated us now.

The rumor about us was off topic at school. Isn't it what we seek from the start? Therefore we've got nothing in common. All the reasons and excuses for us to see each other vanished. For now she has Suzy to worry about. And I had myself to worry about.

Yeah...cool.

No. Not cool actually. I corrected myself.

I felt a pain in my heart growing bigger and bigger each day.

"Trippin' girl..." she said with a low voice as if she didn't want to get caught calling me out. From the start of our eye contact, I vowed to myself to ignore her at any price. Like I said, any. price.

She'll eventually give up anyway. I'm a tiring person to face, especially when I'm as ferocious as a blizzard storm.

"Ow so you're deaf now?" she said shamelessly.

"I guess I am." I replied.

"A deaf girl wouldn't reply, would she?" Amber spoke.

"Whatever."

"You are mad." She pointed out with a grin on her face.

"No." And why the heck did I continue answering and responding everything she said?

"Let me guess... wait..." she took a thinking pose. Leaning her head on her fist as she frown to think clearly. "So, is it because of me?"

At her last word I walked away. Needing to recharge my long ago lost dignity. I have had enough being played around. She was totally an expert in manipulating feelings, making her my silver bullet. I don't want to be  that vulnerable.

"Krystal, don't leave like that." Amber chased me.

"Go away."

"What is it to be mad about..."

"Nothing. Just go." If she persisted this way, my feelings camouflage would be destroyed in no time.

"Whatever it is. I'm sorry."

I don't understand her reaction. She's better off with Suzy. And now she is unnecessarily pursuing me and apologising.

I sped up my pace. The cantine crowd was the perfect barrier for me to lose her.

"Krystal! Wait..." Her voice was fading in the noisiness of the cafeteria. And only then I breathed out of relief. I remebered that... I left Luna alone in the locker hall. She's going to be mad... I know it.

********************

Private school with lots of charity show is where I studied. I didn't mind at all as long as I wasn't being bothered by the volunteer work coming ahead of those social program. I guessed I agreed more to donating my own money than giving away my precious time.

"Class it's time for us to raise fund for our school bazaar. I would like some thoughts and ideas from all of you."

"Why don't we organize a car-wash, with second year colaboration?" advised Luna while smirking at me.

"Good idea." commented the teacher.

Oh no, I didn't think it is. Luna is freakin up to something. As long as I got away from duty by donating a large amount of money, I will be fine.

"This time, let's try raising the fund without parent's financial help." completed Luna.

All of my classmates gluped hardly. No one had ever done that before. The money obtained was mainly from parents' pocket. Sometimes the money collected was too high that there was a lot left for next years bazaar. The comitee students won't have to bother re-raising the fund itself.

"Don't we have enough." I protested.

"Well we won't have any experience at all if we do what we always do. Which was depending on parent's donations." argued the teacher. "I'm going to tell this brilliant idea to the principle."

********

The idea reached the headmaster in no time. Mr. Park eventually agreed for us to pick our shift based on the number we picked randomly. Kinda lottery-ish. I just hoped I don't end up being together with upsetting seniors.

"Next."

I entered my whole arm to get a piece of paper. My heart was throbbing to the fact that luck may not be on my side. Please, god, let me pick the team who doesn't bother me or cause trouble.

11.

Okay, it's my number... I just need to find the other two people in my team.

 

"Oh so you're 11 too?" said someone.

"You're being too friendly with a freshman." This voice... it's too recognisable.

 

No. No. No.

 

 

The one I tried so hard to avoid.

"Idiot..." I mumbled.

 

She's.... in the same team as I am. By she, I meant the idiot Amber. God, I was so dishearted by this news. I would be obliged to spend time with her whether I wanted it or not. If I thought about it, it didn't matter for me to be with her more often. She had no effects upon my heart. No effects... I tried to convince myself.

"I thought you knew her." said the other senior.

"I thought I did." Amber replied while looking at me. She was somehow pleased by the outcome. As if she was trying to prove me something. What the heck is she thinking? Of all people in the world, she was literally hard to read.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Krystal. Please take care of me." I was being polite. Really polite to them. 

"Hey, me too. You can call me Victoria or Vic."

"As for me, call me anything." joined the grinning Amber. 

I ignored her saying. I was only able to pursue a conversation with the other senior, Victoria. To make it sound like Amber was not part of our dialogue, I emphasised Victoria's name.

"Victoria unnie, when is our shift?"

"Today" she replied.

.

"Wow... really?"

"Guess you're gonna be stuck with me." Amber pointed out in between our lines.

"So, I'll see you later? Don't mind Amber. I don't know what came over her."

"Yes unnie."