Fact and Friendship

Will You Catch Me If I Fall?

“Sunbae, c’mon, the club room is over here.” the girls said to Yi Jung. “Really? I thought the club room was there.” Yi Jung said jokingly. “Hahaha, sunbae you’re funny” the girls replied.

“Sunbae, why are you always on that tree house?” the girls said curiously. “Hmm, well let’s see…” he paused for a while and said, “It’s a secret!” Yi Jung added. “Sunbae you’re so unfair!” the girls said with a puppy-eyed look. “Mmm, sorry, even the F3 doesn’t know the reason.” Yi Jung said with his heart melting smile to the girls. And with that the girls had become quiet and stopped asking questions.

“Anyways, I’m going back now! So I’ll see you around.” Yi Jung winked and smiled as he leaves for the club room. Girls are really the same. He thought as he smiles proudly.

The bell rang and all the students went their way to the school gate to go home, “Uhmm, Jandi I think you should go first. I’m going to thank the doctor for the earlier events.” Ga Eul said.

“Ohh…. o…okay then, be careful.” Jandi replied honestly. But she felt really worried over her friend who became really different after she visits the infirmary. In fact, she even felt that her best friend id a total different person now. Ga Eul went to the clinic and thanked Dr. Lee for his guidance.

After two months, Ga Eul had been visiting the clinic more frequently. She had also series of hospital visits and different tests completed.

“Miss Ga Eul, don’t forget we still have an appointment next week. I really wished you quit your part time job because it’s not helping you. You’re not allowed to be stressed out since you have a frail heart.” Dr. Song said seriously.

“Mianhae Dr. Song for keeping you worried these past few months. I also feel tired as the days pass by.” She said with a weak smile. “Omma said I can be discharge today, since tomorrow is Monday, you know my classmates would be puzzled again if I didn’t attend the class and this time I can’t think of any excuses.”

“Araso, your parents just need to come with me to fill up some papers.” He said to Ga Eul while nodding.

The school bell rang; it’s time for the first period. Jandi came rushing to the door again late for class.

“I’m sorry Miss Hee, promise I won’t be late again.” Jandi said panting with puppy eyes.

“It’s not the first time, it’s okay. I don’t wanna get fired over this matter. Just take your seat please.” She stated with a disappointing look.

Jandi made her way to her seat. She soon spotted her best friend and greeted her warmly.

“Anneong Ga Eul ah, how have you been? I’ve been calling you this weekend. Did something happen?”

“A-aniyo Jandi ah, my parents and I went to the fishing village this weekend and I forgot my cellphone at home, mianhae for keeping you worried.” Ga Eul said with straight forward face. She had been lying to Jandi ever since she has learned about her condition. She doesn’t want her best friend to fret about this matter.

Jandi faced Ga Eul with a serious look. “You know Ga Eul ah, we’ve been friends since kindergarten, and I would really appreciate if you tell me what’s bothering you.” Jandi have been debating with herself whether it is right to confront her regarding her sudden change not just with her appearance but also with her attitude.

Ga Eul stared at her blankly. She even raised an eyebrow to her best friend. “Don’t worry, I’m fine.”

With that, the class started and the whole day seemed so dull. The last period bell rang and the students are all rushing to the gate in order to get home. These have been the scenario for the whole week. Nothing extraordinary happened, since the F4 are kind of busy with their respective businesses.

At the porridge shop, Jandi and the master are busy debating since Ga Eul is not yet around. Ga Eul had been late this whole week and sometimes even misses her work. This is not the typical Chu Ga Eul that Jandi knows. She thought something is really up to. Jandi is really determined to know what is happening with her best friend.

After thirty minutes Ga Eul arrived to the shop with a piece of folder. “Anneong Jandi ah, Anneong Master. Ahmm… Mianhe to keep you waiting.” She bowed a little, and put her bag to the kitchen and wore her apron. She took a rag and started wiping the tables.

Jandi and the Master are now confused with Ga Eul’s reaction. Then they started working but kept an eye towards her. The bell rang and that signals that there are customers coming.
Ga Eul went forward and bowed down to greet the customers. “Anneong haseyo, welcome to our Bonjuk Porridge shop.” The customers greeted her and soon found a comfortable seat.

Both Master and Jandi are still dumbfounded with Ga Eul’s action as they soon realize that they need to help her. “One abalone porridge and three squash porridge master.” Ga Eul said without eliciting any emotion to her face. And that made Jandi even confused; she is really puzzled with her best friend reaction.

Ga Eul was about to carry the tray, but suddenly she felt chest pain and immediately held her chest. Jandi saw her and rushed over her. “Ga Eul ah, kwenchana?” She stated with a worry stricken face. “Ahhhhhhh!,” was all Ga Eul could say and she now experiences blurring of vision and soon enough collapses. But luckily a strong hand has prevented her from falling to floor.

“Ga Eul, kwenchana? Ga Eul! Chu Ga Eul, wake up…. Jandi hurry call a cab were bringing her to the hospital.” His Master said while carrying Ga Eul towards the door. Jandi walk fast and hailed a taxi. They had brought Ga Eul inside the car and Jandi protested that the Master should stay, for there are still customers inside. She guaranteed him to tell him once she knows the problem. On their way to the hospital, she had called Ga Eul’s parent about their daughter’s condition. Her parents had instructed her to bring Ga Eul to Seoul Hospital which she obeyed. She had been crying ever since she saw her best friend collapse and is getting anxious with every second that passed. She knew that Ga Eul’s appearance is a hint that something is wrong with her.

The doctor went out to talk to the family. “Dr. Song, how’s my daughter? Is she alright?” Mrs. Chu said apprehensively. “Where is she?” She followed up with an anxious look.

“Mrs. Chu, she is fine. She is just resting now. She’s in her room right now. Did she take her medicines? And did she quit her job? I told her to stop working. Stress and too much effort can cause another fainting.” The doctor said disappointed.

“Excuse me, Am I missing something her?” Jandi spoke with a very confused look. She looked at the doctor then to Mrs. Chu.

“I’m sorry Jandi, I’m in no position to tell you about her condition. When she wakes up maybe you can ask her” Mrs. Chu said with a weak smile while patting Jandi’s shoulder.

Jandi went to Ga Eul’s bedside and stared at her sleeping form. While the doctor called Mrs. Chu towards the office to talk about Ga Eul’s treatment. Soon enough, Ga Eul woke up and found jandi crying while holding her hand.

“Jandi ah, why are you crying?” Ga Eul said while giving her a weak smile.

“Ga Eul ah… You PABO! I thought we were friend! No… we were best friends since kindergarten. Why did you keep it from me? What’s the problem?” Jandi stated in between sobs.

“Mianhe, Jandi ah… I was shocked and confused that I didn’t tell you…” She paused and inhaled deeply, then started again. “I’m sorry Jandi, I don’t want to burden you with my problems, and you also have serious problems with Jun Pyo sunbae… I mean, after that almost expulsion, I can’t bear to keep you worried anymore.” She said while her eyes become watery.

“Ga Eul ah, you are really pabo. You are important to me, you are like my sister. Why do you think you are a burden?” Jandi said sounding hurt but still with serious face.

“Jandi ah, I’m truly sorry. But now since everything is going fine between you and Jun Pyo sunbae, I’ll tell you everything. But you have to promise me that you won’t tell everyone. You have to promise, okay?” Ga Eul said, while holding out her small finger for a pinky swear.

Jandi held out her tiny finger and intertwined it with Ga Eul. “I promise, I’m ready, just tell me, and also you must keep a promise also. From now on, no more secrets! Araso?”

“Araso, Mianhe Jandi ah.” Ga Eul said. They cried and hugged tightly. After five minutes, they let go of each other. Ga Eul narrated to Jandi what happened for the last two months and what is her present condition. Jandi kept nodding and felt a lump forming inside . She kept listening until Ga Eul finished her story. Jandi started again crying and hugged her bestfriend.

“Mianhe, Ga Eul ah. I promise to take care of you. Forgive me for my shortcomings.” She said while giving her best friend the most concerned look.

“Kamsahamnida Jandi ah, but you don’t have to do much. Besides Jun Pyo sunbae might smack me if you stick around me that much. I’m sure your boyfriend won’t like that at all.” She said while giving her a weak smile.

“I don’t care about that stupid Jun Pyo, lately his so full of himself.” She smiled but went serious again. “Ga Eul ah, I think you should listen to Dr. Song. I mean regarding our job. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it and promise I won’t tell Master about your condition.”

“Thanks, Jandi, yes, I have to quit my job. I feel weak everyday, but don’t fret I’ll make sure I’ll be strong. I’ll have to try hard and I want to live my life to the fullest.” With that Ga Eul expressed a genuine smile which has been missing for the last two months.