Recovery

Will You Catch Me If I Fall?

County Hospital, Texas

 

 

Soft voices, white light, extreme cold, and the face of the Casanova with his famous smile, SO YI JUNG. That was the last thing that registered on Ga Eul’s mind. She was now on the operating room being sedated for her operation.

 

She arrived at Texas two weeks ago together with her family and Dr. Song, for her transplant. Dr. Song informed her more than a month ago that they have found a match and they need to fly all the way to Texas for the operation. They can’t afford to transport the heart and also the hospital caters the best care for post-transplant patients. And the recovery period could hasten compared to other hospital. So there they were, they arrived at the airport and went to Dr. Song’s brother for shelter. After a day of rest, they immediately admitted Ga Eul in the hospital for more tests. After two weeks, Ga Eul was declared clear for the operation. The Cardio-surgeons immediately scheduled her operation and made all the necessary preparations.

 

“Dr. Grey, I think she’s fine already, you can now start the operation.” Dr. Richards, stated to the female surgeon.

 

“Alright team, Let’s do this for her. We can’t afford to lose such a nice, sweet young lady. Okay! I’ll cut now.” Dr. Grey stated in an enthusiastic tone.

 

 

The operation went well, and the old heart was replaced by the new one. After a few minutes, Ga Eul’s new heart started beating slowly and then it beats normally. The team was happy about how the operation was smoothly running. But half way through the surgery the heart started skipping a beat and the doctors declared an impending arrest, so the whole operating team, prepared to revive her. After two attempts, the heart resumed its normal beating. Then the doctors noticed that Ga Eul’s new heart fit perfectly, like it was hers originally.

 

During that time, Ga Eul’s parents have heard the emergency call to the operating room and were really frantic about it. Dr. Song, who was allowed to come inside since her parent doesn’t have the courage to watch her, had headed out and explained that Ga Eul was fine. A temporary slow beating maybe a sign of rejection, but the body easily recognized her heart. After some time, the operation ended and it was declared a success. The Doctors went out and explained to them that the operation was successful and that the recovery period was also a crucial part and so major support for their daughter is highly recommended.

 

 

Ga Eul’s recovery was exemplary. In two weeks time, all the tests that were held were declared normal. However for the remaining weeks to months, her therapy was still ongoing. She’s still under cardiopulmonary tests and exercises to monitor her hearts adaptation. Muscle therapies were also rendered in minimal since she came from a complete bed rest. She happily accomplished all of this with renewed strength and inspiration. During those therapy sessions sometimes her mind would drift off as far as Korea.

 

“Hey Miss Chu, you’re doing great. If you continue like this, you can be discharged soon.” The therapist stated during one of their session.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Gibs, I feel great, since I was given a chance to live again. So I want to be strong and inspire other.” Ga Eul stated in an enthusiastic tone.

 

“Oh, I’m telling you Ms. Chu, your determination alone is enough as an inspiration. By the way you look lovely today. Is this because of the phone call you received last night?” Mrs. Gibs said while assisting her to seat.

 

“Yeah, I guess so. I just received a phone call from home.” Ga Eul started to recall the call she had last night. This was her third month in Texas. She was about to rest after her cardio stress test, when her phone rang. She immediately sat down and looked at the caller.

 

            “Yoboseyo, Jandi-ah, kwenchana? Is that really you?” Ga Eul stated in a doubtful

tone but was very happy with the call she received. She truly missed her friends.

 

“Kerum, Ga Eul ah, how are you? I’m glad that you’re doing fine with your

therapy. Well, uncle informed me the other day I called, that you’re outstanding in

your therapy.”

 

            “Mianhe, Jandi, I wasn’t able to talk to you that time. I was on session. How are

things in Korea. I really miss you.” She stood up and sat near the window.        

 

“Well, still the same, it’s getting cold in here, you know. And I really miss you too. By the way, the boys wanna say Hi to you. They miss you also and are really happy on your progress.” Jandi stated in a broken voice But cleared at once for she doesn’t want to be emotional again.

 

“Chungmal, I miss them too. Say hi for me too. Ahm, Jandi ah, How’s… how’s… you know. How’s sunbae doing?” Ga Eul stated hesitantly but filled her lungs after telling Jandi.

 

“Oh, he’s doing great in Sweden Ga Eul, he will be conducting his first exhibit in two weeks time… And you know what… what the theme was all about?... Hmmm... I-It’s AUTUMN… Some inspiration, eh… Hmm… Ga Eul, are you still there?”  Jandi stopped and pressed her ear more on the phone to listen on the other line.

 

“Jankanmam Jandi ah.” Ga Eul was teary eyed with Jandi’s statement but inhaled deeply before answering the phone. Jandi shared Yi Jung’s struggle in Sweden, his therapy, his studies. She shared how Yi Jung worked hard to fulfill his promise to become a better man for her. Ga Eul was filled with happiness, she was inspired, and her heart was filled with more love for a certain potter.

 

 

On her fourth month in Texas, she enrolled herself in one of the photography class which was held at their local school. This is one of her passion ever since. She took pictures after pictures of different subjects and compiled them in order to show them to her new found friends, the patients in Texas Hospital who are diagnosed with the same condition before. She kept on visiting the hospital and keeps on inspiring the patients, especially the pediatrics. She would tell the children stories and participate in different organizations that are helping them.

 

 In time she graduated from the class with flying colors. In fact, she even had a chance to display her works in the gallery. Sometimes, she would sell her photographs or even accepts offers to take photos on an event or a subject. And the profit will be shared to the organization for the welfare of the patients in the hospital.

 

 

Since her skill in photography was excellent. Her services were always requested, until one day she decided to be an art photographer. She was hired in one of the famous art magazines. She would travel to different museums to capture the arts and show them to her employer, who in return would always compliment her works as exemplary. She was even sent to different countries to capture different form of arts such as; paintings, sculptures, pots, and others.

 

Ga Eul continued working for the art magazine. Her family had settled in Texas since her surgery. Her father acquired a work in one of the bank in the area. While Ga Eul on the other hand, was busy traveling from the other branches of the magazine firm. Since she was one of the most skilled photographers she was placed on New York headquarters. This is where Jandi and Jun Pyo visited her during one of Jun Pyo’s conference. She was so ecstatic upon seeing her bestfriend. They really bonded during that time. They were glued to each other like they are trying to catch up for the lost time. Jandi learned how Ga Eul managed to hit her career big. She even promised Ga Eul to visit her during her breaks on med school.

 

The past years had been like this for Ga Eul. A lot of work, sometimes she would visit her parents in Texas, other times she would be sent to other destination for coverage. But what really excites her is when Jandi would visit her. She clearly remembered their conversation last week.

 

            “Yah, Jandi ah, I couldn’t believe it. You graduated from medical school. I’m so

happy for you.” Ga Eul stated in a teasing manner.

 

“Mwoh, what does that mean, Ga Eul ah. For a bestfriend you have a little faith in

 me.” Jandi spoke with a painful tone while clutching her chest but with a small

smile.

 

“Yah, I didn’t say that. I know you can make it. I mean look at you now, and I am

 sure my dearest bestfriend you can ace that exam and become a certified doctor.

 I’m so proud of you.” Ga Eul Stated in a proud manner while patting Jandi’s

 shoulder.

 

“I am only sad you were not there to witness my graduation. But you MUST, I

repeat you MUST come to my next party. I mean, I needed you there and besides

you have a special role to perform.” Jandi stated in a serious and hopeful voice.

 

“Wait a minute, wh-what party… are we…” Ga Eul was interrupted when Jandi

showed her ring finger. It was adorned with a single diamond engagement ring.

Ga Eul was so happy for her that she dropped all her photos and rushed to hugged

her and inspected the ring at the same time.

 

“Oh my God, Jandi ah, you really did fulfilled the part of your bargain. I mean

after your graduation. So, you mean the next party is an engagement party….Oh

my, I’m so happy for you both… And Love, must I say, Jun Pyo sunbae has a

knack for an engagement ring.” She stated in a light and happy manner.

 

“This is only the beginning, that’s why I need you there Ga Eul ah. For sure Jun

Pyo would still be busy with the business and so you must help me. I mean as my

bridesmaid, you must fulfill your duty at all cost. And mind you Love, I don’t

take NO for an answer and I really need you this time Chu Ga Eul.” Jandi

rationalized in a convincing manner.

 

With that conversation and the arrangement that the office has demanded for her, she was now boarded on an aircraft bound to Seoul. Two weeks after Jandi’s visit, her office summoned her to handle the newest branch in Seoul. She was asked to manage it since they wanted a competent employee for that manner. It was an additional fact that she was a Korean. And so here she was seated on a first class airplane arranged by her office to her home country. She already talked to her parents about her plans and they were really glad for the opportunity she had. She smiled at that thought and settled comfortably on her seat.

 

“Indeed Appa, Fate is taking its course. And I’m glad I’m coming home…” She took a deep breath before continuing. “Until then darling, I’ll wait for you. I hope you’re still willing to catch me.” Ga Eul stifled a yawn and give in to the land of dreams. She really needed this rest before venturing in the land called HOME.