Youngjae 43

B.A.P. Oneshots

 

            When Youngjae-1 opened his eyes, he knew what his mission was. It was programmed into his every cell. His one mission was to be by her side. She didn’t have a name. She was just known as the girl with the pretty eyes when he was made. He stepped out from his case and started moving.

            He knew how the girl with the pretty eyes looked like already. Her every detail was printed in his head and he moved with a purpose. Youngjae-1 stepped out of the corridors and walked past the other Comfort Friends. There were six different types and he was the first of his. He nodded at Yongguk-1,2,3,4, and 5. They had been pretty successful and he knew that it was his mission to make his line excel.

            She wouldn’t be expecting him and so he was programmed to enter her life inconspicuously. Youngjae had the entire map pulled up in his brain. Turn right, turn left. He was in front of two large kissing gates. He pushed past them and walked onto the grass. There were loud sounds and stares but he ignored them all. He had one mission only.

            Youngjae-1 walked through the large doors and for the first time, tested his voice. He had been thoroughly tested and tried before being sent out, but this was his first contact with the real world.

            “Excuse me, I’m looking for someone.” The woman in front of him looked and he pulled out a picture of the girl with the pretty eyes.

            “Ah, she’s in the nurse’s office right now. Bad time with her test,” the woman’s voice lowered. “And you are her?”

            “Comfort Friend,” because that was the classic answer.

            The lady seemed to be confused for a second but nodded regardless. “Nice to know she has friends who look out for her. She always seems so lonely.”

            Youngjae-1 cocked his head and briefly rifled through his dictionary. Lonely was not what she was supposed to be. But that was his mission. He gave the woman a small smile because that seemed right and walked in the direction she had pointed.

            He paused and stared around him. Her instructions had not been very clear. Did he walk into this door or did he have to make a turn? “Just go in!” she called. He nodded gratefully and walked in.

            Target sighted. Youngjae-1 walked forward. “Hello,” he extended a hand to her and the nurse raised an eyebrow. “I am your friend.”

            The girl with the pretty eyes had very nice eyes but they were filled with water. His survival guide told him that they were tears. He got down on his knee in front of her and wiped the tears away. They had a funny texture and disappeared once he touched them.

            “Don’t tear. I’m Youngjae-1.”

            She sniffled and that was when he remembered the piece of paper he was supposed to give to her. He took it from his pocket and handed it to her. She took it and read it. formed an O and Youngjae-1 registered this as surprise. “Comfort Friend?” she asked.

            He nodded, glad that she understood. “Yes, and my mission is to make you happy.”

            The lady sitting behind them placed her hand over her chest. Youngjae-1 cocked his head. What was she doing? “Oh dear, you never told me you had such a nice friend. Come, dear. Let’s stop crying now and you can go home with your friend. You can tell him about those mean girls and he’ll make you happier.”

            She stood up and stood next to him. She seemed to be hesitant and Youngjae-1 went through his survival guide. When the girl with pretty eyes was standing next to him, he should hold her hand. He picked up her hand and she glanced at him and her cheeks went red. Normally, when cheeks went red, it means that the body was overheating.

            “Are you heating? Do you need a cooling gel?” he asked her.

            She touched her face shyly. “I never had someone hold my hand before.”

            This really confused him. “Isn’t this what we should do when we’re next to the girl with pretty eyes?”

            “The girl with pretty eyes?” she repeated. And then there was a loud sound that escaped her. It was registered as a laugh. “Do you really think so?” 

            This was an odd term but Youngjae-1 replied yes. He figured that should be the best thing to do. When he gets back, he’s going to tell his maker that sometimes the survival guide is lacking. She bit her lip, and said, “Can I call you Youngjae? The one seems a little odd.”

            He nodded. “If it will make my Comfort Friend happy, then yes.”

            She swung their hands and Youngjae wondered if this was okay. But she was smiling, and that, was his ultimate goal.

            For the next few weeks, he commuted with her wherever she went. He went back to his station every night to recharge but early in the morning, he was at school, waiting. She had managed to allow him to go with her to class and Youngjae sat in wonder as she wrote in her notebook. All the material on the board was stored somewhere in his guide and once in a while, he would participate. It was quite fun.

            Sometimes, she would ask him to go home with her and he did. “Will it make you happy?” She nodded, which was apparently the symbol for yes. And so he obeyed. She was different at home than at school. She talked to him more and at school, she seemed to be quieter around her classmates.

            But he didn’t question. As long as her mood level seems high, he was doing his job. She took him along to eat and he watchd her devour her milkshakes and sometimes, he would be able to come up with witty jokes, comments to make her laugh. “I really like you, Youngjae,” she told him. He smiled at that.

            “I like you too, girl with pretty eyes.”

But every Comfort Friend had a time limit until their service expired. And Youngjae’s was nearing. He took out another slip of paper and handed it to the girl with pretty eyes. The director had given it to him to give to her.

            He had been reprogrammed to comfort her one last time and he watched, waiting for her signs. The signs came slowly. She read the paper and stilled. Her eyes looked up, and just like the first time they met, she had tears. He wiped them away and they dissolved again.

            She wrapped her arms around him. “Don’t leave, Youngjae. Who else will be my friend? Who else will look after me?”

            Youngjae was prepared for this and he stood up and bowed. “I have taught you how to make friends. It’s your turn to go out and make some now.”

            And because he was wired to do so, he turned to go. But for some strange reason, as he continued walking back to his charging station, he heard her crying. And he knew she was crying. He had seen the lonliness in her eyes and felt a heavy weight of disappointment. Three months of happiness and now he has failed.

 

this is for waffyeols

it's a bit like Absolute Boyfriend, but a little different? 

I don't know. First time trying this type of thing