Youngjae 3

B.A.P. Oneshots

 

            “Hey, Youngjae? Happy birthday,” you whispered to your boyfriend. He looked at you sleepily and nodded before going back to bed. You snatched the alarm off the table and placed it by his ear. “Ahem, Yoo Youngjae. Wake up.”

            He sleepily batted the contraption away and rolled over. “Lemme shleep.” He slurred and you shrugged.

            “I guess I’ll give Daehyun most of the cake.”

            This thought bolted him awake and he scowled. “Hey, no fair. My birthday. My cake. I helped to make it yesterday!” He whined.

            You snorted. “Then you can get your lazy out of bed and join the party downstairs.”

            For some reason unbeknownst to you, Youngjae had an obsession with cake. Ever since he was young, he’s always liked it when his father brought home that square shaped cardboard box simply because it meant that after dinner, the family would have something sweet.

            He didn’t usually like too many sweets, but there was something about cake that made his mouth water every time he thought about it. The delicious fluffiness of the base and the crumbly delicacies. He liked the whipped frosting, made of real cream and the layer of pudding they always asked for inside. Sometimes when you were in the kitchen baking cookies, he would sit and reminisce the days when he would help his mother make cake.

            So last night, you decided the best birthday present you could give him was not a surprise cake, but rather to let him help you bake it. You were a bit dubious regarding his skills but it would be fun nevertheless. And so it was with a slightly hesitant heart that you let him into the kitchen.

            “Hey, what are you planning on making? I don’t think the birthday boy should know what the menu is for his birthday. It is called a surprise you know.”

            “It’s not a surprise if you know we’re throwing you a party, dimwit.” Youngjae stuck his tongue out at the insult. Sometimes the two of you acted as if you were simply close friends and not the longtime couple you were.

            “What are you going to make?” he asked again, relentless as a bloodhound.

            “Me? No, my dear. We are going to bake you a birthday cake.” You bit the inside of your cheek to hide your smile. His face lit up and he smiled widely.

            “Really?” He picked you up and swung you around, nearly knocking your legs into the chair. “I knew I asked you out for a reason all those years before!”

            You chuckled. “What type of cake would you like?”

            “Pudding! I want three layers. One layer of chocolate filling, another of fresh fruits and another of pudding. Yummy, jiggling pudding. Wow. Not even my mom ever gave me such free reign. I think I love you.”

            “You think?” you joked and reached into the cupboard for the supplies. He beat you to it and laid out on the table all the necessities that were required to make the cake.

            “Anything for you, ma’am.”

            You let him beat the batter and couldn’t help but laugh when he ran his tongue over his lips and slid a bit of the leftover batter into his mouth. He sneaked up behind you and kissed you, so you could taste it too.

            “Hold on! I’m trying to set the oven!” You put the oven to the right temperature and proceeded to make the frosting. He was very demanding, wanting the frosting to include sprinkles in them. You beat the eggs and the spun sugar together before pouring in the creamy milk. You let it cool before adding more and mixing in the sprinkles.

            The oven dinged and you jumped to get the cake. He pushed you out of the way and took out the steaming pastry with a reverence that amused you. He placed it on the table and you slowly picked up the layers. Your mother had taught you to make the cake and separate it into layers before putting the fillings.

            You spread the mint chocolate frosting and filled it with an inch. You added the syrupy fruit you had made and placed it in the middle layer before spreading his beloved pudding. When he thought you weren’t looking, Youngjae stole a spoonful of the pudding and ate it, chewing away happily.

            He took the spreader away from you and generously heaped on piles of the frosting. He gingerly patted it down on the sides and the look of concentration on his face was endearing. When he finished, he scooped up some of it with his finger and stuck it in your mouth.

            “Now give me some!” He cried and you fed him with a spoon, laughing at how childish he became. You took out icing and wrote out a birthday message to him and added in fruits and drew bunnies all over his cake.

            You placed it in the refrigerator and Youngjae hugged you. “Thank you so much, jagiya. I don’t think anyone but you would understand how much I love cake.”

            When Youngjae walked downstairs, he found a pile of his friends gathered in the kitchen. They were already setting up the karaoke machine and Daehyun had turned up the music. “Oh you’re here! Your girlfriend here was just about to take out the cake and leave you none of it.”

            “Out of the way!” You sang and walked out with the cake the two of you had made. Youngjae squealed happily and as was custom, you dabbed a drop of the frosting on his nose. “Make a wish!”

            Youngjae shut his eyes and blew out the candles. The cake was devoured quickly among the boys and you smiled. Some more of your friends came and the party was a huge success. Later, as you were cleaning up, you saw Youngjae standing by the kitchen, looking slightly forlorn.

            “That cake went by too quickly.” He sighed.

            You grinned and opened the refrigerator. “Surprise! While you were sleeping, I made another one just for you.”

            He his lips and raised an eyebrow. “I have a better idea. How about we take that cake upstairs and let it be you, me and the cake?” You stared at him, a bit shocked and he winked. “Anything for the birthday boy.” 

 

requested: shigapetal