Youngjae 33

B.A.P. Oneshots

 

            You looked down at your feet and tried to blink back the torrent of tears that was threatening to fall down. Your mother-in-law could be scary if she tried. She was currently glaring at you, furiously.

            “I always knew Youngjae needed his mother to take care of him,” she huffed and wiped a hand over his wet forehead. “Look at this! You should have known he was working too hard. You should have stopped him from over exerting himself. And now my poor baby is not only over exhausted, he also has an intense fever.”   

            You wrung your hands, unsure of how to answer. You had seen the signs. Youngjae’s dark circles were getting darker but you didn’t want to say anything in case you aggravated his bad temper any more. You knew his work meant everything to him.

            She clucked her tongue and placed another towel on his face. “I wish he would just wake up. It’s not a coma; he’s just very out of touch.” There were tears that slid down her cheek.

            You didn’t know what to do. If she weren’t here, you would be the one next to Youngjae, helping him. You would be the one who nagged the doctors but with your mother-in-law here, you didn’t know what to do. You were scared if you were too authoritative then she would claw your eyes out.

            You made way for the nurses who came in. “Mr. Yoo just has a deep fever. Unfortunately, this is a combination of a minor cold as well as-”

            “A minor cold?” your mother-in-law exclaimed shrilly. “This is my son! He has been unconscious for an entire day. How could you just see this as a minor cold? Look at my poor baby!”

            The doctor’s eyes slid over to you and you colored in embarrassment for her. His mouth thinned and he answered, “He is also deadly exhausted. I know his job is draining. Have any of you warned him to stop?”

            “Every time he calls me, I try to persuade him. I know his passion is music. I know he loves what he does but I tried to get him to take a break. But his newly wedded wife, who lives with him every single day, never said a thing to him. I don’t live with him but if I could, then I would tell him to stop working so hard.”

            You closed your eyes. She was always trying to take every opportunity and turn it into a war between the two of you. The doctor gave you a sympathetic glance and asked for her to move. “I’m going to need his wife to stay here, as he listed her as his immediate family member. Ma’am, if you would kindly step outside?”

            She shot you an angry look and walked out, scowling. The doctor patted your hand and you sat next to Youngjae. You felt tears drop down your face. “Jae, wake up,” you held his hand as the doctor checked his pulse and continued to drip the medication into him. There was a groan and suddenly, Youngjae opened his eyes.

            He croaked your name and you snapped to attention. “Youngjae! You finally woke up.”

            The doctor stood. “I’ll go into the next room, without alerting your mother-in-law. I’ll let her know when to go in after the two of you have had some time together. She’s quite a tiger.” He winked at you and left outside the other door.

            You felt the grip on your hand tighten and looked down. “What is he talking about? Why are we not telling my mother that I woke up?”

            You looked away, unsure of how to say things. “She was a little upset that you fell sick.”

            Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Are you kidding me? Is she ranting about how she always asked me to stop working?” He flopped back on his back and nearly yanked out the needle.

            “Youngjae!” you shrieked. “Stop, be careful. You can’t move around like this. You can’t, what if you hurt yourself even more?”

            He snapped impatiently. “What is she doing?” Then he seemed to realize what the doctor had said. “Did she say anything to you?” He slid up and peered into your face, worried. “Did she say anything to you?” he repeated.

            You shook your head but he saw right through your lie. “She did, didn’t she? Get her in here.” You shook your head again and dropped on your knees.

            “Youngjae, please don’t. I’m too scared of her. She said some pretty bad things about how I don’t deserve you; how you could do better. She says it’ll only take a matter of time when you’ll realize that having me around would drag you down.”

            He stared at you tenderly and patted your cheek. “Honey, I won’t do that. I think I have a great sense of people. I love you. I married you. Why would I change my mind?”

            Your body shook. “I don’t know.” He sighed and tilted his head back.

            “Mom! I’m awake now. Come inside!” She walked in and scowled at the two of you holding hands.

            Youngjae held up your entwined hands. “You see this? I married her. This diamond over here? Was mine to give to her. Mom, I asked for your blessing and you gave it. So now what’s your problem? I’m going to ask you to stop making her unhappy. I don’t know what you have been saying to her but I’m going to ask you to please not to anymore. I respect you because you’re my mother. But I can’t have you disrespecting my wife.”

            His mother pursed her lips. “I was just telling her that she was taking poor care of her son. How in the world did you fall into this sickness if she was taking care of you well?”

            Youngjae hugged you closer to him and kissed your temple. “She’s taking care of me just fine. I’ll make you a promise. I’ll work a little less, okay? I’ll take better care of myself. I know she was too scared to tell me to stop because I sometimes blow up at her, but she’s doing a fine job. It’s my job so it’s my responsibility.” He smiled sweetly at his mother and pointed at the door. “Bye, Mom. I’ll call you when I get better. I’m going to ask for some quality time with my wife. The hospital is a boring place.”

 

requested by haeaffection

I'm sorry things have been lacking lately ;;

I need some time to recover and write better~