Day 3: A Heartbreaking Surprise

30 Days of Dating Lee Hyukjae

Ahreum's POV

"Purple, where's purple..." I trailed as I was trying to find the purple color pencil among many different colors.

It was a rather cloudy Saturday morning. I was doing an important assignment that would count for 1/3 of my final score. I nodded along to the music while my hand was busy drawing patterns and matching colors.

Knock knock knock.

I turned off the music player and slide down my headphone down to my neck. I thought I heard someone knock, I thought confusedly. I waited for a while, but the sound wasn't heard anymore. I shrugged my shoulders and put my headphone back.

I was starting to draw another pattern when suddenly I heard someone's voice. I once again slide my headphone down and let it hang around my neck. Huh, is someone at the door?

I put down my pencil and decided to check out the door. I had the habit of opening the door without peeking through the peep-hole first. It was dangerous, I knew that. I was already getting yelled at by Sungmin oppa numerous times. But still, I always forgot.

I was a bit surprised when I found Nara was standing on my doorstep. She was the last person I was hoping to see that morning. Well, not only that morning. Let's rephrase that. She was the last person I was hoping to see. Ever.

"What do you want?" I wasn't in the mood to be hostile or starting a fight that morning, so I tried to ask her in a neutral tone. For me, neutral meant emotionless.

She seemed to be a little firghtened or something, she kept on fidgeting.  "Can I come in, Ahreum-ssi? I brought cheesecake," She smiled at and lifted the plastic bag that contained what I assumed two pieces of cheesecake.

How did she know? Then a name popped up in my mind, ah, right. Sungmin oppa.

Well, he taught her well then. He knew I loved cheesecake way too much to resist it. So I opened the door wider and stepped aside for her to come in.

Nara came in and took off her shoes. "Nice apartment you got here, Ahreum-ssi." Her eyes wandered around as she stood in the hallway.

"Thanks." I replied as I took the plastic bag from her. "You can go wait in the living room."

She nodded as she strode off to the direction of the living room. I brought the plastic bag to the kitchen and put it down on the table. I shook my head as I leaned my head against the fridge.

No wonder Hyukjae oppa falls head over heels with her. She's pretty, she's a trainee at SM, and she's apparantley also a nice person. I've been nothing but rude to her, but she comes by with a cheesecake in hand. Although I'm kinda thankful to her, cause she chose Kyuhyun oppa instead of Hyukjae oppa. She gave me another chance to be with Hyukjae oppa. But then again, she left him broken hearted. Ugh!

What am I doing? The person I hate the most is now sitting in my living room. And here I am, preparing snacks for me and her, in the kitchen, where all the sharp objects are gathered.

I glanced at my collection of knives. If my life is a drama, I must have been the antagonist character. So maybe I should...

"No!" I whispered harshly to myself. "Crazy thoghts, go away! Shoo, shoo!"

I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. This is the side effect of living alone for way too long, I thought to myself. I put the cheesecakes on the plate and poured two glasses of sweet ice tea. Then I brought them out to the living room, where my lovely guest was waiting.

Nara helped me set the plates and glasses on the table. "Thankyou, Ahreum-ssi," She nodded a little as she took a seat on the floor. I didn't have sofas in my living room, it was more comfortable that way.

I sat down on the floor next to her. "It's Saturday. Why are you here in my house?" I cut right to the chase as I put a small piece of the cake into my mouth.

Nara eyed me for a moment. I didn't like the feeling, it was as if she was observing me.

She took a sip of the tea before she decided to speak. "I think we need to clear some misunderstanding." I knew right away what she was talking about. "I'm sorry if I hurt you in the past, Ahreum-ssi. I didn't do it on purpose, obviously. So I'm sincerely apologizing, I know how it feels like to be in your position."

I stared right into her eyes. "...You do?"

"Believe me, I do." She stated firmly. Somehow, I could feel the sincerity in her voice.

I didn't know what to say, but I could feel my anger was slowly disappearing. That girl had the courage to come into my house and apologized for something that wasn't actually her fault. Which I knew, deep down inside.

She put her hand above mine, which shocked me a bit.  "Kyuhyun loves me now, but it wasn't always like that. He hated me at first," she chuckled. 

"Yeah, I heard. But you're with him now. That's all that matters, right?" I managed to give her a small smile.

"My love story obviously wasn't as easy as taking a walk in the park." She laughed and gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

"But you made Hyukjae oppa falls for you so easily. I envy that," I sighed exasperatedly.

"Fell, not falls. Soon enough, he would definitely fall for you." She giggled and started to eat her cake.

"I don't think that's possible. He hates me too much for that." I shrugged and put my assignment neatly into one pile. I was afraid that the snack would somehow spill on something I had been working hard on for the past two weeks. If that happens, please, someone just kill me.

Suddenly, Nara's eyes glinted mischievously. "Are you meeting him tonight?"

"Mhm, why?" I nodded as I put my coloring pencils inside the suitcase.

"What's your plan for the date?" She asked again.

She sounded way too excited for my liking. "Don't know yet... Why?" I asked again, getting more and more suspiscious by the minute.

"I might know a way to win his heart..." she smirked, which didn't really suit her, cause she was all rainbow and unicorns. You know what I mean, she was a happy virus.

I raised an eyebrow and scooted closer to her just to hear out better.

I got more and more doubtful after I heard Nara's plan. "Will that work?"

She nodded and smiled brightly, "Of course! I've done it a few times to Kyuhyun, and he loves it." She winked at me.

I nodded absentmindedly. There was no harm in trying, right? And it had been proven successful by Nara herself.  "Okay then. I'll do that tonight."

"Yeay!" She clapped excitedly. "So... Truce?" She carefully offered me a handshake.

I stared at her face for a while. I found nothing there but her sincerity to be friends with me. I stared back at her hanging hand, waiting for me to reach out. So I finally took a deep breath and shook her hand back. "Truce."


Author's POV

"Super Junior... Super Junior... Ah, here it is!" Ahreum smiled in relief. She had been wandering around the arena huge area for almost half an hour before she finally found Super Junior's waiting room.

Super Junior was recording for a music concert that night. And she had asked for Donghae and Super Junior's manager to tell the security guard to let her in. She was going to ask Nara to pick her up at the entrance, but unfortunately she couldn't make it that night. She had late night class to attend to.

Ahreum looked around the hallway and found all the idols she had been seeing on the tv there. Some of them were chatting casually while some were rushing quickly with their managers in tail. Gyuri from Kara passed by and left Ahreum in 'awe'. How can someone be that pretty?

She looked down at her clothes. She was wearing a white lace tanktop with pale blue cardigan and a skirt with the same color. The skirt reached the middle of her thigh and she was wearing a broken white flat shoes. She came straight from college, so she didn't have time to change. She shrugged her shoulder, she thought she looked okay. Well, according to her standard.

Ahreum checked her mini backpack and found everything she needed in there. She took out her instax camera and took several deep breaths, preparing herself for what was coming. She smiled out of excitement and opened the waiting room door in front of her slowly.

Donghae was standing right behind the door, and he was the one that saw her first. "Ahreum-ah!" He whispered and smiled brightly at her.

Ahreum waved at him and handed him her instax camera. "Where is he?" She whispered back.

"Over there." Donghae pointed to where Eunhyuk was. He was standing in the middle of the waiting room with two other girls that Ahreum recognized as Nana and Raina from After School.

Ahreum thanked Donghae and walked tip-toe towards Eunhyuk. She tapped his shoulder lightly from behind and prepared herself once he turned around. "Surprise!" Ahreum clapped her hands excitedly.

Eunhyuk gasped and stared at her wide eyed. Before he could process what was actually going on, Ahreum pointed to a camera in front of him. "Look over there. Smile!" She smiled happily while Eunhyuk just stood there with a dumfounded expression.

Donghae took the picture two times, as Ahreum wished, and waited for the picture to appear. Once it did, he laughed hard at Eunhyuk's expression. "You definitely look like a monkey here!" But his laughter was soon disappeared as he was stunt by Ahreum's picture. "Wow... I never saw you smile like this before, Ahreum-ah. You look so pretty," Donghae looked up and smiled sweetly at her.

Ahreum smiled and took the pictures from Donghae. She turned to face Eunhyuk who had been quiet all along. "Are you surprised, oppa?" She asked as she unconciously gave him her eye-smile.

"What are you doing here?" Eunhyuk asked back in a cold tone as he warrily glaced at Nana and Raina.

Ahreum let out her rare giggle. "Surprising you, of course," she opened her backpack and searched for something as she continued to smile at him, "Look oppa, I brou- aw!" She suddenly yelped in pain as Eunhyuk pulled her by the arm harshly to the corner of the waiting room.

"What are you doing here?! I thought we're meeting after the concert," Eunhyuk glared down at her.

Ahreum was shocked hearing anger in his voice. Her smile immediately fell from her face and was replaced by a confused expression. "I know, but I wanted to surprise you..." she said slowly.

Eunhyuk ran his fingers through his hair in a frustrated manner. "Don't. Just, don't. Don't ever do this again."

Ahreum didn't understand what she did wrong. "I'm sorry oppa, but I-"

"Don't call me 'oppa' in front of anybody else." Eunhyuk harshly cut out her sentence. "I thought you understand. This relationship between us, isn't the one to be brag about. Espescially, not in front of my friends!" Eunhyuk said in a menacing tone and pointed at Nana and Raina who had been eyeing them curiously.

Confussion and sadness mixed in Ahreum's expression. "I'm sorry," was all she could manage to say.

"I don't need your apology. You better go now," Eunhyuk spat out his last words before she walked out on her and left the waiting room with Nana and Raina.

Eunhyuk walked down the hallway and met his fellow idols along the way. He usually stopped and making small talks with the, but that night he wasn't in the mood anymore. He felt bad a little for being mad at Ahreum earlier. But he was just too shocked seeing her there with her camera and everything else. His friends were there too, and he wasn't ready for them to find out about his 'relationship'.

Back in the waiting room, Ahreum was standing in front of a full-length mirror and observing herself. Her skin was really pale, her lips were redder than most people, and her hair was jet black. It didn't have even the slightest brown color like other girls usually had. her eyes were round with no emotions in it. She wasn't tall, her height only reached Eunhyuk's shoulder. And she surely didn't have the best attitude.

She started to compare herself to the After School members. They had the longest legs and leanest body she had ever see. Their hair was beautifully curled with light honey colors. The way they laugh and talk was really feminine and cute. They were the total opposite of her. Was Hyukjae oppa embarassed of me?

"Ahreum-ah..." Donghae patted her head in a brotherly way. He witnessed everything, but he didn't want to make things worse by interventing.

Before he could continue, the manager called him out. It was nearing the end of the concert and it was time for Super Junior to perform. Ahreum forced a smile at him. "It's okay, oppa. Good luck for the performance."

Donghae sighed and her hair gently. "Alright. I'll call you later." He smiled at her and walked out of the room with the rest of the members. Eunhyuk was already waiting outside, not bothered to came back in.

Ahreum watched their performance from the tv in the waiting room. She smiled everytime the camera captured Eunhyuk, everytime he came out to sing his part, and eveytime she caught him dancing passionately even in the back.

Super Junior had already finished performing, all the artists gathered t the stage. The concert was ending.

Ahreum got up from the couch and walked towards the manager. "Oppa, can you give this to Hyukjae-ssi?" Ahreum handed him a plastic bag full of stuffs.

"Oh, but the concert had already finished. He'll be here in no time," The manager suggested to give it to him by herself.

"I don't think he wants to see me," the manager gave her a confused look, but he accepted the bag anyway. "Thanks, oppa." Ahreum bowed a little and left the waiting room. 


Eunhyuk walked back to the waiting room, feeling pumped up after finishing the concert. He almost forget about what happened earlier with Ahreum. He sat on the couch beside his bag and fanned himself with a piece of folded paper. That was when he realized there was a plastic bag sitting beside his bag.

"What's this?" He put the paper down and set the plastic bag onto his lap.

"Ahreum-ah left it for you!" The manager shouted from across the room as he was busy talking to Leeteuk.

Eunhyuk opened the plastic bag slowly and found three packs of strawberry pocky and two bottles of strawberry milk. My favorite snacks... I promised her on the phone this morning to eat these together.

So this is what she brought me, Eunhyuk thought as he remembered that Ahreum was about to give him something before he pulled her away. At the bottom of the bag he found the picture that they took earlier. Guilt rushed through his body as he saw how happy Ahreum was to see him. She even prepared a little surprise for him, but he paid her back by hurting her.

"Hyung, how long has she been gone?" Eunhyuk stood up quickly from the couch and yelled at the manager.

"Not long. About five minutes ago I think," The manager shrugged his shoulder, unsure.

Eunhyuk quickly dashed out of the room and ran frantically along the hallway. He didn't see her anywhere. He continued running and bumped into several other idols, but he didn't had the chance to apologize. He just kept running.

After a while, he decided to just follow his guts and turned to his left. And there she was, walking towards the backdoor exit. 

"Ahreum-ssi!!" Eunhyuk yelled at the top of hing lungs.

Ahreum froze in her spot and turned around slowly. She was afraid that her mind was starting to play tricks on her. But no, she heard right. Eunhyuk was calling her name and now stood in front of her while panting and trying to catch his breath.

"Where are you going?" Eunhyuk finally asked her once he could breathe normally again.

"Home," Ahreum answered him confusedly. Why is he panting? Did he just run all the way here?

"I have some time now. Let's go somewhere," Eunhyuk took a look at his watch and stare back at her. He sounded a little panic at the mention of her going home.

"But-"

"Or we can just take a walk around the area, like yesterday." Eunhyuk cut her and quickly throw in any idea when she was about to say 'no'.

Ahreum smiled at him. But the smile was different, it wasn't the usual smile that contained her happiness. It was a smile that tried to hide the sadness. "But you have early schedule tomorrow morning. You should get some rest."

Eunhyuk couldn't hide his disappointment at her reply. "It's late. How are you going to go home?" He asked her while trying not to show that he was worried.

"Bus," she shrugged her shoulder nonchalantly.

"It's dangerous," a frowned appeared on his handsome face.

"I'm used to it. I've been riding the bus since forever," She chuckled.

Eunhyuk ran out of excuses to make her stay. He just stared at her with guilt written all over his face. They could've had a nice little date that night, but he ruined it. It would had been alright if he just apologize to her. But he held himself back from doing that. His pride wouldn't let him.

"I left you something," Ahreum told him as she fixed her cardigan. Eunhyuk didn't notice it until then. She looked so feminine and fragile. She might not have the glamorous look of the girl group members, but she had something that made him couldn't keep his eyes away from her.

"I know," Eunhyuk kept looking at her. Her soft black hair framed her small pale face perfectly.

Ahreum smiled and nodded her head absentmindedly.

She took a look at her right, at her left, at her behind, and finally she took a peek at Eunhyuk's behind. Once she was sure that no one was around, she smiled and bid him goodbye, "Goodnight... Hyukjae oppa."

Then she turned her body and proceeded walking to the backdoor exit. Eunhyuk put his hand on his hips and looked down at the ground. He closed his eyes and bit his lower lip out of frustration. He was so mad at himself for being a jerk... and for hurting her.


Ahreum walked down the empty street to the bus station while trying to hold back her tears. The last time she cried was 11 years ago, and she wasn't about to let herself cry over things like that.

She knew that their whole relationship was built over a lie... But she didn't know that he could make her heart suffered that much.


Sooo, long chapter, huh? ;D

I made it connected to the latest chapter of my first fanfic. Go on and read it if you want to understand better about this chapter. Just click here:

Just click here: Took My Breath Away (Chapter 34: Truce? ...Truce.)

Nooow, their thrid date was a little bit heart breaking, right? I feel sad too when I was reading this chapter before I posted it :( How do you think their relationship will progress?

Wait patiently for the next chapters, okay? :D

Don't forget to subscribe if you haven't! oh, and comments are very much loved ;) See ya!