Day 12: Promises You Can't Keep

30 Days of Dating Lee Hyukjae

Thank you ecikurcaci and sungmmie for upvoting the story! :)


Ahreum sat inside the waiting room backstage, intently watching the monitor as Eunhyuk danced intimately with BoA. She watched as he caressed her hair lovingly and then moved his face closer to hers seductively, as if he was going to kiss her for real on stage.

Ahreum waited for the moment their lips would touch, but just as it was about to happen, both of them pulled away from each other and danced powerfully once again. Ahreum chuckled watching the scene, remembering Eunhyuk's story about how competitive he could get when it came to dancing. He once said in Strong Heart that the only thing that stopped him from kissing BoA on stage was her annoying mic getting in the way.

I bet he's dissapointed that it happened for the second time, Ahreum smirked and shook her head slightly. Her eyes followed his movement, even until he disappeared to the side of the stage. BoA continued on with her amazing performance, but Ahreum wasn't interested anymore.

"Ahreum-ah, are you thirsty?" Suddenly a familiar voice greeted her from behind.

Ahreum turned her head slightly to take a peek at the person, not bothering to move from the sofa. She smiled once she saw it was Super Junior's manager. "I'm fine, Junghoon oppa."

"Just tell me if you need anything," he smiled and patted her shoulder once. Eunhyuk had given him spesific instruction to treat Ahreum well while he was on stage.

Ahreum nodded slightly and continued watching the monitor. She sighed once she saw it was EXO on stage. Not that she didn't like them, it's just she only had her eyes for her boyfriend. She got up from the sofa and stretched her body while letting out a soft yawn. She ran her gaze through the room. It was filled with stylist, make-up artist, and trainees who came to help their senior. Some of the Super Junior members were getting styled for the stage, and some weren't even in the room. They sneaked into the other artists' waiting room, wanting to catch up before they go on stage.

It was SMTown concert, all SM artists were gathered in one place. Ahreum had met them several times, as she was Sungmin's cousin and he always brought her along as often as he could. But she could never get used to the fact that all of them were super good looking and talented.

After beeing fed with a kimbap by Yesung, Ahreum decided to go out and explore the backstage. The waiting room was getting stuffy, and she was curious to what was it like to see the audience from the stage point of view.

After barely escaping from Sunny who was so excited to show Ahreum her new manicure, she finally made it to the side of the stage. Some of the crew eyed her suspiciously, afraid that she was one of the crazy fan girl that somehow made ot through the bodyguards. But they didn't say anything as they noticed she was wearing her backstage pass. Ahreum decided not to stand beside the crews, annoyed by the way they're staring at her. She went to a more quiet and darker part of the backstage, where there were properties stored and none of the crews wandered around. She could still the stage though, eventhough it wasn't as clear.

gaped open as she witnessed colorful lightsticks fullfiled the concert hall beautifully. The fans' screamed was also sending shivers down to her spine. She could never imagined herself standing on the stage, performing in front of thousands of people like that. She admired the artists more seeing how calm they look on stage and how they enjoyed themselves there.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms hugged her waist from behind, resulting a slight gasped to escape from . "I've been looking for you," his warm breath washed over her neck.

"I got bored in the waiting room," She relaxed once she realized who the owner of the arms was. She rested her head against his warm chest and smiled slightly at the thought he had been looking for her.

Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow and . "So you came out here and decided to check out the new boys?" he teased as he reffered to EXO.

Ahreum laughed and decided to play along. "I mean, just look at Kai. How can you say 'no' to that?"

Eunhyuk furrowed his eyebrows as he felt a pang of jealousy at her words. He quickly turned her body around to face him. He placed his hand back around her waist and stared deep into her eyes. "He's a 94-line," he stated seriously.

Ahreum shrugged her shoulder and stared back at him innocently. "Noona-dongsaeng relationship is the trend these days."

Eunhyuk widened his eyes at her answer. Ahreum wasn't the type to joke around, he knew that. Ahreum stiffled her laughter as she noticed him had a taste of his own medicine. "Please tell me you're joking."

Ahreum bit her lower lip and finally gave in. She laughed seeing his shocked face cupped his cheeks with her small hands. "I am. You're so gullible sometimes," she laughed once again seeing relief washed over his face at her words. She stood on her tip-toe and gave the tip of his nose a sweet peck.

Eunhyuk laughed along and hugged her tightly against his body. "You're finally getting your payback, huh?"

Ahreum didn't answer his question and just smiled while snuggling her head against his chest. Two weeks ago, she wouldn't even dare to dream being in his embrace and exchanged sweet words with each other. But look at them now, who would've thought that everything was fake and based on lies?

"Did you see my performance just now?" Eunhyuk pulled her head slightly to take a look at her beautiful face. Another part of him just couldn't stand the close proximity between them. He is a man after all. If Siwon could see what was going on inside his head everytime he thinks about Ahreum, he would him to the church personally and bath him with holy water.

"Mhm," she hummed while playing with his bangs.

"What do you think about it?" Eunhyuk squuezed her waist lovingly.

Ahreum laughed a little at the ticklish sensation. "You did great, as usual." She smiled sincerely at him.

Eunhyuk furrowed his eyebrows, "That's it?"

Ahreum stared back at him in confusion. "Am I suppose to say anything else?" she dragged her question, trying to read his face.

The mood just turn 180 in a second. The annoyance was printed clearly on his face. Eunhyuk let go of her waist abruptly and stalked away without saying another word. Ahreum just stood there, not knowing what to do. One second they were exchanging sweet nothings, and the next second he stood her up just like that.

What the hell... Ahreum thought confusedly as she snapped out of her daze and started searching for him.

Just as she got out of the backstage and back to the hall of the waiting rooms, she bumped into someone quite harshly.

"Sorry," Ahreum bowed her head slightly as she rubbed her sore forehead, not bother to look at the person. She only made it two steps before the person tugged at her wrist.

"Lee Ahreum?"

Ahreum turned her head, a little bit annoyed. I don't have time for this right now, she clucked her tongue and ready to give the person a piece of her mind. "Who the-" her sentence stopped mid air as she realized who the person was. "Jonghyun oppa?"

"It is you!" Jonghyun laughed and immediately pulled her into a bear hug.

Ahreum laughed along, a little shock at the sudden hug. "How are you?" She patted his back and pulled away, uncomfortable by the gazes everybody was throwing at them.

"I've been good," he smiled that handsome boyish smile of his and swept his gaze at her from head to toe. "It's been ages since I last saw you."

"Yeah," Ahreum smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"My memory doesn't do you justice. You're much prettier than I remember." Jonghyun smiled down softly at her.

Ahreum's cheeks turned crimson at the sudden compliment. It was no secret that Jonghyun always had "a thing" for her. He never showed it directly, but he left her clues here and there. The other SHINee members sometimes got frustated at her for being so clueless. She wasn't dense, she just pretended not to know to prevent his feelings to blossom into something more.

When Ahreum didn't say anything back, Jonghyun took her hand and held it in his. "We should go to lunch sometime."

Ahreum didn't have the heart to say 'no' to those confident eyes. She fixed her gaze at his big hand that was holding hers and nodded slightly. "yeah, sure."

She then turned her gaze to meet his when she suddenly caught another pair of eyes staring at her from behind him. Her eyes widened at the realization of who the person was.

Eunhyuk sent her a dirty look before he quickly turned away and fled from the scene.

God, could this be any worse?


After the unpleasent incident, Ahreum was having an internal battle with herself.

Should I wait for him? But what if he's still mad? Should I just go home? But what about our date?

"Ugh!" She angrily punched her backpack. She was waiting at a corner outside Super Junior's waiting room, not having the courage to face him inside. Just as she decided to take a peek, she saw the Super Junior members walking towards the waiting room, all hyped up and noisy after the performance. She caught a glimpse of Eunhyuk who was happiliy laughing with Kyuhyun.

She quickly hid herself back to the corner and put her hand above her chest to calm her beating heart.

I don't wanna ruin his night even more... Ahreum thought and finally decided to leave. She send him a quick text before she went out of the concert hall to catch the bus.

Eunhyuk wiped the sweat from his neck while sweeping his gaze across the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of the petite girl. But he found none. He saw his cellphone vibrated against the table and quickly opened it to read the message.

 

From: Little Ahreum

Oppa, I'm gonna head home for tonight. Sorry for making you mad. Congrats for the concert! I'll see you tomorrow, kay? :)

 

Eunhyuk ran his eyes through the text and quickly put his phone inside his jeans pocket. He put on his backpack and tapped his manager's shoulder once.  "Hyung, I'm going first!"


Ahreum counted her steps as she walked down the street of her apartment. The hoodie covered her head and she tucked in her hands inside her jacket's pocket. Her eyes were fixed on the pavement as her mind wandered away.

She puffed her cheek unconciously and thought about what happened earlier at the backstage. She really couldn't understand what was going on with Eunhyuk. No matter how hard she thought about it, nothing reasonable came up. Did I say something wrong? I complimented him, though...

On top of it all, Eunhyuk didn't even reply to her text. Ahreum furrowed her eyebrows and sighed heavily at the situation. Without realizing it, Ahreum already arrived in front of her apartment. "I'm screwed," She groaned loudly.

Suddenly someone replied to her rhetorical statement. "And why is that?"

Ahreum got startled and almost dropped her phone in the process. "God! You scared me!" Ahreum held her hand above her rapidly beating heart. "What are you do-"

"I wanna talk to you." Eunhyuk answered her unfinished question.

Ahreum blinked in confusion. "But how did you-"

"By car." Eunhyuk pointed to his car which was parked nicely in front of her apartment building.

"What do you wan-"

"I'm sorry." Eunhyuk said the words softly, but loud enough for to hear.

"Huh?" Ahreum was taken by surprise by the sudden apology.

Eunhyuk pushed himself off the wall and walked closer towards her. He shifted uncomfortably, it was obvious that he was feeling a bit nervous. He finally gathered his courage and looked at her straight in the eyes. "I know I've said this often since we started dating, and that just prove how bad I'm treating you, but still... I'm sorry."

Eunhyuk furrowed his eyebrows in regret. Ahreum could see the sadness written all over his perfectly sculptured face. Her eyes softened at the thought of his effort. She wasn't even his real girlfriend, but he still drove all the way to her apartment just to apologize.

"My forgiveness... Why is it matter to you?" The question left before she could give it a second thought.

Eunhyuk couldn't hide his surprise at her sudden question. He thought for a while, trying to find the best answer. He could only think of one thing, but he wasn't even sure if it was the answer she was looking for.

"You're my girlfriend... What am I suppose to do if you hate me?" He answered truthfully. The confusion was thick in his voice. He didn't understand why Ahreum must question something which the answer to was so obvious.

Ahreum's lips slowly formed into a tender smile. "What a childish answer," she laughed and .

Eunhyuk's posture visibly relaxed at her smile. He took her hand in his and kissed her knuckles softly. "It's the truth though," he stated sincerely.

"Why did you even get mad at the first place? I don't get it." Ahreum tilted her head slightly and asked in confuse.

Eunhyuk's ears turned slightly red as he knew his answer was going to make him look even more childish. "I thought you were going to say you didn't like it when I dance that intimate with someone or something along the line. And when you didn't, I just got... I don't know. Disappointed?" He sounded embarassed and confused at the same time.

Ahreum laughed at his explanation, she decided not to probe any further seeing his embarassed state. Although secretly she felt kind of happy that he wanted her to feel jealous.

"Well, apology accepted. If there's nothing else you wanna add, I'd love to go inside." Ahreum nodded her head towards her apartment.

"Playing hard to get, aren't you?" Eunhyuk rolled his eyes and tickled her waist slightly, earning a fit of giggles from Ahreum. "If you don't mind, I'd like to resume our date." Eunhyuk intertwined their hands together and dragged her out of the apartment's yard with a big smile plastered on both of their faces.

Not long after, they arrived at an open grass field near Ahreum's apartment. Kids in her neighborhood usually go there to play football or kite. At night time like that, nobody else was around, only the sound of crickets could be heard.

Eunhyuk took a deep breath and observed his surounding delightly. He never knew there was so many dating spots around if he would just take some time to explore. He was thinking about telling his idol friends so they would stop going to Han river and got caught by the papparazzi.

He stood in the middle of the field and motioned for Ahreum to come closer. "It's freezing," she stated the obvious. She hated being out in the cold while she could be at home watching TV with a heater on.

Eunhyuk chuckled seeing her unamused expression. He sat down on the grass and patted the space next to him. "Come here."

"It's-"

"I heard you, it's freezing. Come here," Eunhyuk stiffled his laughter. He repeated his sentence and once again patted the space next to him.

Ahreum heaved a tired sigh as she finally sat next to him. "It's freezing and it's dirty. What exactly are we doing?" Ahreum gazed at him with her curious doe eyes.  She wasn't being a brat, she just couldn't understand his logic.

Eunhyuk laughed and gave her cheek a sweet peck before pulling her to lie down on the ground with him. He used his arm as her pillow and put her head on top of it. He turned his head to the side and gaze at her with a teasing smile plastered on his face. It was moments like those that made him felt everything was woth it when it came to her. Seeing her flustered face was priceless. It was both adorable and funny.

Ahreum laid there as stiff as a wood. She didn't know what she was supposed to do. Eunhyuk laughed out loud seeing her stance. He brought his arm closer to his body, effectively bringing her closer to him. With their body almost pressed together side by side, Ahreum didn't have a choice but to snuggle into his warm body.

"Lee Ahreum," He called her softly.

"Mhm?" she hummed in response. Her finger was unconciously drawing random patterns across his chest.

"You're liking this that much?" He once again and finished his sentence with a laugh.

"I hate it," she joked and hit his chest playfully. Eunhyuk grinned hearing her cute response and gave her a long kiss on the forehead with a content smile on his face.

They decided to take pictures of themselves while lying down on the grass. The had a hard time taking the picture as they're not use to hold the camera in that position. They had a good laugh before they were finally satisfied with the result and kept the pictures on their pocket.

"Look at that," Ahreum suddenly broke the comfortable silence and pointed her finger to the night sky.

"What?" Eunhyuk squinted his eyes and tried to see the thing that caught her attention.

"I see a bunny." She stated firmly with her emotionless face.

"Huh?!" Eunhyuk brows furrowed together as he tried to locate a flying bunny in the sky.

"And a guitar," She pointed to another direction in the sky.

"Bunny... Guitar..." Eunhyuk got more and more confused. "Oh!!" He exclaimed as he finally got what she meant. "You mean the stars."

Ahreum nodded excitedly. "That one's a cat."

"What cat? It's obviously a lamb." Eunhyuk tried to connect the stars with his finger to make her see.

Ahreum made a face and mumbled into his chest. "You and I definitely grew up with a different definition of a lamb."

"I heard that," Eunhyuk chuckled and ducked his face down to kiss the tip of her nose.

Ahreum pinched his nose playfully as they just lied there and stared at each other with a soft smile on their faces.

"Has it been hard on you?" Eunhyuk suddenly whispered as he played with a strand of her hair.

Ahreum understood immediately what he meant. "Sometimes." She always found it hard to talk about her parents. "It's always the hardest when it is Mother's Day."

Eunhyuk caressed her cheek with his thumb. "I won't let you feel lonely anymore." He couldn't imagine how harsh the life that she had been living. He could now caught a glimpse of sadness in her eyes despite her stoic face. He was such a jerk not to notice it before.

Ahreum patted his cheek softly with a small smile on her face. "Don't say promises which you can't keep."

Eunhyuk eyebrows furrowed slightly. He lifted his body slightly so he was  hovering on top of her without removing his arm from under her head. "I'm not-"

Ahreum put a finger on his lips, making him forget what he wanted to say and silenced him immediately. "Being with you... is enough. You can never imagine what you've done to my heart." Her voice slightly cracked despite the smile on her face. "Everytime I look at you, I feel like my heart's going to burst." She searched into his eyes and said every single word sincerely.

Eunhyuk gazed at her with and unreadable expression on his face. He always knew that she had feelings for him, he just never knew how deep it was. It was the first time she said everything so directly, her feelings for him that she had harboured for the last 5 years.

Her words left him speechless. His heart was thumping crazily with unknown reason and his mind was in complite chaos. If he had heard those words a couple of weeks ago, he would just scoff and left her without another word. But now... He didn't even know why suddenly he got tongue-tied and his heart sending all kind of signals that his mind refuse to believe.

"I don't- I mean, how am I-" He stuttered as he can't even form a decent sentence. His eyes never left hers.

Ahreum didn't know how suddenly she got the courage to tell him everything she had been keeping to herself for the past 5 years. She caressed the skin underneath his eyes and asked in barely a whisper. "Do you know how much I like you?"

Eunhyuk felt like Ahreum dropped the bomb for the umpteenth time that night. He felt like someone had taken his ability to speak. "I just- uh..." he swallowed the imaginary lump on his throat. "I-"

And once again he couldn't finish his sentence as Ahreum dropped the nuclear bomb for the night.

"Do you feel the same?"

 


 

Aaaaaand CUT! What do you think will happen next?

I'm feeling generous, so I'm gonna give you a sneak peek into Day 13 and 14.

 

Day 13 preview:

"Come on, oppa. How about if I give you a day off tomorrow?" Ahreum begged and even promise him a date-less-night. "Just spend tonight with me."

Eunhyuk caught her looking intently at something on the display. "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing," Ahreum turned her gaze back at him in surprise. She smiled and immediately went back to his side. "Should we eat ddeokbokki?"

"How was your date, hyung?" Kyuhyun shifted his attention from TV once he saw Eunhyuk walked in to the living room.

"So-so," Eunhyuk shrugged nonchalantly as he grabbed a handful of popcorn from Donghae and plopped himself down on the sofa next to him.

"What did you get her?" Sungmin asked while his eyes were still fixed on the TV.

Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow at his question. "Am I suppose to give her something?" he asked dumbfounded.

 

Day 14 preview:

"Up up up! Let's go!"

"Huh? It's 7 am. What on earth are you doing here, oppa?"

"Oppa," she said almost breathlessly. "Don't." her voice wavered, she couldn't lie to herself.

"Please, don't say no." Eunhyuk whispered in a soft voice. The tips of their noses were touching and his eyes keep shifting from her eyes to her red inviting lips. "Not tonight."

 

Those are the unedited version of Day 13 and Day 14. What do you think is happening? Tsk tsk ;)

So, don't forget to leave me your comments guys! I love reading them so so much. For those of you who haven't subscribe, please do! And please upvote the story if you like the it enough :)

See ya! :D