Royal mission: Short-listing

Beautiful Stranger

Yenny was lazing on her living room sofa, waiting in front of the TV for the repeated telecast of the royal coronation that took place last week. She missed the live broadcast since she was on a plane heading to Korea. Finally it came on and Yenny instantly concentrated on looking out for her best friend, the one whom she missed so much the last 4 years. The one who claimed she was of royal blood and even though Yenny believed her because Yubin was not really one who could lie very well, she still wondered if Yubin was pulling her leg with that royal revelation. Then she saw her, finally appearing in a beautiful cream dress that could well be a Chloe, and looking every bit as gorgeous as a royal princess should look. It was definitely a far cry from the Yubin she was so used to seeing in the past. She was elegant and was even walking with a delicate posture, smiling and waving almost like a beauty queen.

“Aww…my unnie has grown into a lady.” She shook her head with envious pride.

Her TV hogging was soon interrupted by the ringtone from her phone. She picked it up and answered.

“Annyeohisaeyo!” she greeted, noticing the unfamiliar number.

“Yes. Can I speak to Miss Yenny Park please?” A polite man’s voice appeared.

“Yes. I am.”

“Well. Congratulations, Miss Park. After interviewing you last week and short-listing the best candidates, we are pleased to offer you the job of PR Officer for the Royal office of Korea.”

“Oh. Perfect!” Yenny exclaimed in English and then quickly added in Korean. “I mean, I am honored and would love to take up the offer.”

“That’s great. We will see you on Monday then.”

After putting the phone down, Yenny wondered with excitement how Yubin would react to finding out her best friend had gotten back to Korea secretly and actually clinched a job at the royal office.

----

Yubin was walking to her parents’ office escorted by Chansung when she suddenly stopped her tracks. Chansung paused as well and asked “Did you forget something?”

“Nope. I was just testing your bodyguard reflexes.” She smiled and continued walking. She loved poking fun at this new bodyguard of hers whom she would sometimes call him “Channie” just to . He was always cool and never smiled which gave her the thrill of trolling him and the best part of all was he never seemed irritated by her trolling. He was younger than her but yet always looking professional at his job. Chansung kinda got used to the princess trolling ways after more than 2 weeks of work. He didn’t get fired from sending her back in a motorcycle that night but instead got lots of praises from her especially in front of the king. He knew it was her way of bribing him into letting her ride his bike again of which he soon told her it was not going to work.

When they finally reached the office, Chansung opened the door to let Yubin in while he stood guard outside the office. Yubin greeted her parents and asked the purpose of the meeting.

“Sweetheart! We have good news for you!” Her father announced. “Ever since the coronation, we have been receiving a lot of proposals! Asking me for the princess’ hand in marriage!” her father started to laugh heartedly.

“Daddy! Do I look like I’m ready to marry?” Yubin wondered if her parents were playing a prank on her.

“Honey, you are gonna turn 25 next year. It’s sooner or later. I haven’t seen a nice boy you have dated so far and now that there is a whole line of eligible bachelors queuing up for you, you should take this opportunity!” her mother advised.

“And Daddy wants to be a grandpa soon.” The king smiled at her.

“Are you guys serious?” Yubin couldn’t believe she had reached the stage she couldn’t find an eligible guy she had to go through the traditional match-making.

“Your brother’s still too young to marry and yes, your daddy is craving for a grandchild ever since he had that heart condition scare years ago.” The queen paused to think of a convincing plan as she put her arms around her daughter’s shoulders. “Take it like …. You are shopping for shoes. You know, you have so many shoes you like and then you try them on, one by one, until you finally picked the ONE you like best. Your future husband must be the perfect fit. We are not hurrying you but since there is a list for you to short-list, why not work on it? I have arranged the PR team to help you along. They will be like your personal shoppers.”

Yubin knew her mom would always use a shopping theory to convince her into doing something. It was always tempting. So she was gonna shop for men now? It was a funny thought though.

 Chansung was standing guard outside the king’s office when he noticed 2 ladies in office suits walking towards the office. They stopped upon reaching him. The older lady who seemed to be in her late 30s announced that the queen was expecting them and they were from the PR office. She was with a tall fair looking girl in her 20s who had a very bright smile and sparkling pair of eyes. The girl greeted Chansung politely with that bright smile and he felt a little embarrassed he was not able to smile back as brightly as she did. Instead, he just slightly nodded. Chansung then spoke into his mic, pressing his earpiece so he could hear his superior in the king’s office to give him the next instructions. While waiting, he overheard the older lady speaking to the younger lady next to her.

“Remember to greet with a respectable bow and do not look into their eyes. They are royalty and this is Korea so you must always remember not to bring in your American casualness into this office.”

The younger girl just obeyed and bowed slightly acknowledging the older lady’s advice. Chansung soon got the go-ahead instructions from his earpiece and informed the ladies they could go into the office. He held the door open for both of them to walk through and could feel the slight touch of the younger lady’s body when she walked past him. He quickly closed the door and stood back at his position outside the office. It was less than a minute when he heard screams in the office and immediately opened the door to check on the situation.

He found a pair of girls jumping, hugging and screaming with joy. It was the princess and the young PR lady, happily greeting each other like they have not met in ages while everyone from the king to the queen looked pleasantly surprised. But the most jaw-dropping look was that of the older PR lady. Chansung shook his head lightly, hiding a slight smile and closed the door once again.