Confession

Beautiful Stranger

 

Right after the press tour was over, Yubin went to Yenny and asked her after observing that Taec was missing. “Where’s Taecyeon?”

“He said he had to go. Work issues.” Yenny replied but she knew it was something else. “Unnie, I think he isn’t aware about Siwon’s marriage proposal to you. He seemed..kinda…disturbed when he heard about it.”

“Sigh.. oh God. Why is all this happening at the same time?”

“What do you mean, Unnie?”

“Yenny, Taec’s the guy!!” Yubin grabbed Yenny’s arms. “He’s the stranger I kissed 5 years ago in New York! Remember that night we had that new year’s eve party and I kissed a total stranger?”

“Omo!! No WAY!! Are you sure?”

“I’m sure. He even knew the exact location and date. Oh Yenny, I kept wondering why he looked so familiar and why I was somehow so attracted to him when I met him a few days ago. Now I know why.”

“Unnie, were you guys going to kiss again if I didn’t interrupt earlier in the classroom?” Yenny was feeling guilty again, 5 years later.

“I don’t know. I was too dumbfounded when he asked if I was that girl. The fact that he remembered and was so sure of it left me too overwhelmed to even respond to him.”

“So you didn’t confirm to him you were that girl?”

“No.. I didn’t get to. Why did he leave so urgently? Because he thinks I’m serious about marrying Siwon?”

“I think it’s more like Siwon’s his best friend and even if you were not serious about Siwon, he would still have to think about Siwon’s feelings.” Yenny reasoned.

“Sigh… ” Yubin shook her head, taking in all as things got more complicated.

While Yubin sat with her mom in the royal limousine on the way home, she got another set of news from her mom to make things even more complicated.   

“Sweetheart, I have good news for you. Tomorrow we are heading to a shopping paradise! We are going to Bangkok! The Thai Royal family has invited us and made all arrangements for you to meet the prince as well as to have a vacation there!”

“Why so sudden, Mom?” For once Yubin wasn’t so enthusiastic about shopping and she was also upset with all these surprise arrangements done by her mom.

“Well, I had no idea why as well. The queen only called me yesterday and invited us. She was really insistent that we do it as soon as possible. Telling me that it was the best time of the year to shop and holiday there. I think she also can’t wait for you to meet her son.”

“This is ridiculous!” Yubin was so not ready to meet another bachelor after how she was now thinking of a way to make things work with Taec.

“Sweetheart! Just take it as a vacation. Like I said before, you don’t have to commit until you get to know the guy well enough to be sure. It’s only polite we accept their invitation now and at least have a first meeting with the prince.”

Yubin kept silent throughout. She knew that the first thing she needed to do was to call Taec and explain to him all these potential husband selection stuff. She needed him to understand her situation and her stand. When Yubin finally got into the privacy of her room, she quickly got Taec’s contact number from Chansung and called him. However, he didn’t pick up. She tried calling him a few more times but was there was still no answer.

Yenny was probably right he was avoiding her now because of his close relationship with Siwon. Yubin thought to herself. The queen came by her room to remind Yubin to pack her luggage since they were flying off in the morning. Yubin agreed reluctantly as she packed her luggage. Maybe this vacation was good for her to think things through. Maybe Taec thought she was a loose girl who went round kissing strangers. She messed her hair in frustration at all the thoughts that ran through her head. When she was done packing, she was so exhausted and after her 5th unsuccessful call to Taec, she decided to send him a long text before she finally fell asleep.  

 ----

 Taec woke up in bed the next morning and checked his bedside clock. 10am. He wondered how he fell asleep last night. He tried to recall and realized he must have fallen asleep after too much thinking. He also remembered that his phone was on silent mode and there might be calls for him. He quickly checked his phone and found 5 missed calls from an unfamiliar number. There was also a text message from that number.

It read, “Hey Taec. It’s me, Yubin. I hope you are alright and not avoiding my calls on purpose. I really hope you are fine. I am worried about you and it’s ridiculous I’m feeling so much for a guy I just met, no, a guy I met 5 years ago and didn’t get the chance to know even his name, what he does and why I would find myself kissing him at first sight. It was the first and only time someone had made me do such a crazy thing. It wasn’t just a new year’s kiss or a flirty or a lustful or drunk kiss, it was crazy me and possibly the things I would do for.. love? Maybe I’m scaring you with such a confession but what the hell, I was crazy enough to kiss a total stranger one time in my life and if this stranger thinks I’m crazy, and wants to have nothing to do with me, so be it! Yes, I may not know you well enough but I can’t control these feelings and the hunches I have about you whether now or 5 years ago. Maybe romantic movies had got me the courage to tell you this, instead of explaining the marriage arrangements situation I had been put into by my parents. But I think I’m just an ordinary girl who believes that these chance meetings between us did not just happen without a reason.”

As soon as Taec finished reading the text, he immediately dialed the number but he got a “user unavailable at the moment” message. He then called Chansung and asked about Yubin’s whereabouts and Chansung told him she was on a plane on the way to Thailand.

“And Taec. I have been like a middle person giving out numbers since last night. There was Yubin asking for your number, and then Yenny asking me to get you to call her if I received your call. Anyway, I’ll be texting you Yenny’s number. PLEASE call her and then my job is done.” Chansung told Taec.

“Ok, I’ll do that. Thanks Chansung!”     

As soon as Taec called Yenny, he found out what was happening with Yubin. That she was just obeying her parents in going through a list of bachelors to find a potential husband. That it was not serious until Yubin found the one she really wanted to marry. That Yubin was now confused because she just wanted to be with Taec but because he didn’t respond to her, she finally went ahead to Thailand together with her mom for a vacation.

“Taec, Yubin’s in Thailand to meet another potential marriage partner who is by the way the Royal Prince of Thailand and if you are as sure about your feelings for Yubin as she is about you, I suggest you go get her NOW!!!” Yenny gave her ultimate advice.

“I’m  taking a week’s leave from work and I’m booking the next available flight to Bangkok now. Thanks, Yenny! I owe you.” Taec assured her. In fact, the moment when Taec saw that message from Yubin, the dilemma he was going through the previous night was settled as soon as he made the decision to get the girl.         

A/N: Spoiler alert: Nichkhun’s character will play an important part in the next few chapters…Stay tuned!!!