Eve of the Coronation – Year 2011

Beautiful Stranger

A/N: I have no idea why this chapter is automatically rated "M". Seriously, I did not press the "M" button but it just insisted. I wondered which word prompted it. LOL! AFF is getting annoying.

Setting: 4 years later. Year 2011, South Korea.

The Han river was most beautiful at night, Yubin thought as she came out of her bright red sports car and sat in front of the car, watching the beautiful lights along the river and breathing in the fresh air she most needed to feel calm. It had been a crazy 2 weeks for her ever since her grandfather passed away. 2 weeks after the funeral wake, her father would be crowned the new king of Korea and Yubin would be the new public figure of a royal princess. She would be expected to look her best 24-7 as the media and the nation would have all eyes on her. It had been known to the nation that the princess was a beauty and her mom, the queen had specially hired professional trainers and stylists to train Yubin to look, walk, and behave like a true royalty for that 2 intensive weeks. She was ok with all the styling but the training was taking a toll on her that she decided to sneak out for a night ride breather at the river in the middle of the night before the BIG coronation day the following morning. Yubin was so used to being very low profile that even during her school days, she would be dressed in sloppy clothes and behave all tom-boyish so that people would not recognize her as the princess and treated her like all other normal kids. This was also the reason why her mom decided to initiate that royal mission on her since she had been losing touch on her feminine princess ways.

4 years ago when Yubin was studying in the US, she remembered all the freedom of travel she was enjoying with her best friend, Yenny. The only sad thing was it was a short 2 year freedom in the US because soon after that new year’s party where she kissed that handsome stranger, she was summoned back to Korea right away due to her father’s sudden heart attack scare. She rushed back to Korea and was relieved to find her father surviving that attack. As she was worried her father may suffer such an unfortunate attack again, she decided not to go back to the US but to stay in Korea to finish up her studies till her masters. During these 4 years in Korea, Yubin realized how much she missed her best friend and wished Yenny was with her at this point of time. She was the only friend who treated her like a real person, someone you could argue with and share everything. Through those years apart, the girls only communicated through skype. Right after graduation, Yenny found a PR job at a huge Korean enterprise branch in Manhattan and had been working there for some years already. Yubin’s love life had been a disaster as her last relationship ended 2years ago when a paparazzi shot of her in university was published disclosing her identity as a royal blood. Her then boyfriend was shocked she had been lying to him for a year and ended the relationship.

She didn’t get interested in any relationship right after and rarely dated. She also didn’t find herself getting drunk and kissing a total stranger again. There were times of loneliness she would wonder about that stranger from 4 years ago. Who he was, what he does and where he was?  

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by a man’s voice close to her ear. He smelt of strong alcohol and was leaning towards her asking “Why is such a pretty gal all alone here?” Yubin quickly jerked away from the drunk strange man. He was probably in his 30s and though he was wearing a suit, he was obviously drunk and when coming across a lonely girl in the middle of the night at the han river park. He moved towards her, ignoring her defensive manner. Before he could try to grab her, a tall figure came in and held him by his collar and swiftly pushed him off, sending the drunk man landing on his . The young man in a brown leather jacket warned the drunkard “Back off now or I’ll call the police and report you on your harassment behavior.” The drunkard cowardly obeyed and scuffled away from the scene. The young man then turned around and faced Yubin.

“Are you alright, your highness?”

Yubin was taken aback from his acknowledgement. She had never met him before. He was a handsome young guy with a foreign face, not looking too Korean at all. He had big round eyes but carried a serious, cool aura.

“Do I know you?” Yubin asked.

“I’m afraid this is our first meeting. I’m Hwang Chansung, your new bodyguard.” He introduced himself, bowing to her. “Your father had sent me to look for you and to make sure you return safely home. He is extremely worried since it is already 2am and you were missing.”

“And how did you managed to find me?”

“I have contacts with the law enforcement. Your gps tracking got me here.” He explained, making sure to avoid telling her the royal security department actually had trackers in all the royal cars.

Yubin was still doubtful about his identity and asked him why he wasn’t in the usual royal security suit.

“I officially start work tomorrow. Your father wanted to introduce me to you formally earlier today but we found you missing from your room. I offered to find you and bring you home safely. Please, your highness, we need to leave now.”

“I’ll need to speak to my father to be sure you are telling the truth.” Yubin commanded. Chansung was a little frustrated with her stubbornness but was glad that the princess was actually a careful person. His job might just be slightly easier. He dialed the number and after reporting that he found her, he passed Yubin the phone.

“Sweetheart! Why are you out alone so late in the night and especially before your daddy’s big day tomorrow? You got me worried sick!” Her father asked before Yubin could say hello.

“I’m just releasing all the stress mom’s been putting me through.” Yubin explained. “And Daddy, why am I getting a new bodyguard all of a sudden? What’s wrong with Mr. Lee? Are you replacing him already?”  

“Mr. Lee is retiring. He’s reached the age he can’t protect you too much now. Chansung is hand-picked by me and I trust this boy. Please come home safe with him now.”

“Alright. You get some sleep. Don’t worry about me. I’ll get home safe.” With that, Yubin passed the phone back to Chansung.

“Shall we? I will drive if you don't mind.” Chansung held his hand out asking for the car keys from Yubin.

Yubin turned behind and noticed a Yamaha motorcycle. She bobbed her head towards it, asking Chansung, “That bike’s yours?”

Chansung nodded. “But I’ll drive you home and come pick it up later.”

“You know what? We’ll take your bike and then you can come back and pick up my car later.” Yubin suggested.

He gave Yubin a confused look.

“A royal princess can sit on a bike, you know. We are no different from any other human being.”

“My job may be lost the day I start work, you do know that.”

“Can I at least have that freedom to try something that I would probably never get to try ever?” Yubin asked.

Chansung looked at her and noticed the sad eyes. She seemed like she had been suffocating from all the restrictions in her life, while he felt that on occasions when he needed a breather, the bike ride was always the best cure. He finally agreed and went to get an extra helmet to pass to her.

Yubin let out a cry of excitement and quickly took the helmet to put over her head. Chansung swung his body over his bike and said “Hold on tight, your highness. Real tight please.” And Yubin obeyed as she sat behind him with her arms wrapped tightly around his waist, intertwining her fingers.

“Tight enough?” she asked.

Chansung nodded and coolly brought down his visor, starting the engine and speeding off in an instant.

Yubin felt the slight jerk at the start of the ride and almost scared herself but later found the adrenaline so thrilling and at the same time calming. She later found herself closing her eyes, enjoying the feel of the air racing past her.