Troubled Father

A Test of Fate

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

I watched her as she stepped off her working station, leaving two of her co-workers shocked as I was. I just gave a song number in front of strangers in a café with a suit and a guitar. I was sure I looked stupid and I was also feeling nervous that time. It took me a lot of courage since it had been a long time for me performing in front of a crowd. And besides, I haven’t really performed in front of a crowd alone, I was always with my choirmates since high school.

 

It took me a lot of courage but Dara just didn’t seem to be a bit impressed or moved. I even cried the tears I had been holding back for the past three days. I was sincere with my words and my actions, but it seemed like she didn’t really have a plan of forgiving me.

 

I followed her with my gaze as she walked away. And then she stopped…in front of a lady, who looked like a high school student.

 

She didn’t answer my apology but she entertained a customer?

 

I furrowed my brows as I tried to figure out what they were talking about, since it didn’t really look like that Dara was entertaining some orders from her since both of them were standing.

 

I walked towards them and stayed beside Dara.

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked, my voice shaking, afraid that she will still continue on ignoring me.

 

And she did. She didn’t even turn her head towards me. I felt my heart breaking.

 

“Oppa…” the girl she was talking to said.

 

I turned to her and she was looking at me with dazzled eyes. I pointed to myself, asking her if she was referring to me. She nodded.

 

“YA!” Dara shouted. “I am still talking to you!”

 

I stared at Dara who looked like she was fuming in anger. She never took her gaze off the girl.

 

“Oh, puh-lease, don’t waste my time, cheap café girl. Oppa is here and I still have to ask for his number,” the girl said, making me turn to her.  Did she just…

 

I heard Dara’s teeth gritting. I stared back at her as she was trembling, probably from anger, because the expression on her said so. I also saw her hands clenching into tight fists.

 

“Now, move, café girl. For all we know, you’re only doing this to be noticed by Oppa,” the girl said. She then turned to me. “Oppa, can I ask for your-“

 

Suddenly, Dara pulled me by the back of my nape as she crashed her lips on mine. The kiss was desperate and hungry as she deepened it, making me want for more. Because I wasn’t really in a comfortable position, I shifted myself so I would be in front of her and cupped her face. I deepened the kiss as I nibbled on her lips, making her moan.

 

When I was almost lost in our own world, Dara pulled away. She panted for a while and stared behind me.

 

“Now… what’s your business with my boyfriend again?” Dara asked.

 

I had to turn towards who she was talking to and suddenly remembered the girl. I even forgot about her when we kissed.

 

The girl turned red as she turned around and went towards a particular table where several other girls were in shocked.

 

Not really caring about them, I turned to my girlfriend. “So, does the kiss mean that I am forgiven?”

 

She didn’t respond as she looked away, a faint pink on her cheeks.

 

My face fell immediately at her lack of response. “So, does that mean that I am not ye-“

 

I got cut off when she crashed her lips on mine again. But before it deepened, she pulled away. “You’re too talkative.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We were sitting outside of the café, on a nearby bench under a tree. Dara was silent the whole time and when I felt that it was getting uncomfortable, I approached her. I held on her hand.

 

“I missed you…” I whispered.

 

She looked up at me and smiled. “I missed you too.”

 

I smiled as I pecked her lips with a gentle kiss. “So, care to tell me what happened back there?”

 

She pouted as she looked away. I noticed that she was blushing. “She was nothing.”

 

I poked her. “Really? Well, you sounded really jealous to me.”

 

She faced me, glaring. “She was about to flirt to you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Gaaah…” she said, frustrated. “Why are guys so insensitive?”

 

“Do I need to feel something?” I asked. “Do I even need to notice the feelings thrown to me by the girls surrounding me?”

 

She furrowed her brows.

 

“Well… for me, there’s only you,” I said, cupping her face. “There’s no one else. Only you. So, you don’t need to be jealous. As you said, she was nothing.”

 

Her eyes eventually softened. I stared deep into her eyes, making the worries fade away with my gaze.

 

“Even though she will flirt with me, I won’t give a damn about it, because the only one I care and love is you. She might even die trying to win me over…” I said. “So, stop being jealous, arasso?”

 

She breathed in as she leaned away from me. I was about to kiss her back then, so I pouted. She just looked away, instead.

 

“Why do you need to look so hot?” she asked. And then she gasped as she stared at me. “Did I just say that out loud?”

 

I nodded and smirked.

 

Then, Dara became a very large tomato with her cheeks red.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

After the little talk and date I had with Jiyong outside of the café during my break, I returned to work while he returned to his class.

 

“Annyeong haseyo, welcome to Happy Bean Café,” I greeted as another customer came in. I didn’t notice at first but when he smiled, I found myself smiling too. “Omo, Appa!”

 

I immediately covered my mouth as I realized that I called him Appa, instead of Uncle or Sir or Mister Kwon like I did when we first met.

 

He smiled at me when he was in front of the counter. “I told you that it’s okay for you to call me Appa, right?” Jiyong’s Dad said.

 

I nodded as a small smiled drew on my lips. “So, what is your order, Sir? Oh, I mean, Appa? Oh, I’m still working, so yeah… calling you Sir is…” I cleared my throat as I realized I was stuttering like an idiot. “Your order, please?”

 

He laughed. “I just came here to talk to you. But since you’re still working, I think I’m going to order-“

 

“Oh, talk? It’s okay… yes… to talk. That’s fine,” I stuttered once again. I then turned around as I mentally slapped myself for looking like an idiot in front of Jiyong’s dad. “Oh... Ah… Manager Jaesang, can I lengthen my break, Sir?”

 

“What?!” Manager Jaesang said. “Again?! Aish! If you weren’t really the lucky one in my café, I wouldn’t allow you. But, okay… go!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What brought you here… uhhh…. Sir?” I said as I mentally slapped myself again.

 

“Well… I didn’t really want to bother Jiyong with this, and I could only think of you, so please forgive me for bothering you,” Jiyong’s dad said, bowing a little.

 

“Omo, it’s fine, Sir. No need to bow in apology,” I said. “What is it?”

 

He looked hesitant for a while. “I… I am not living in the Kwon Mansion anymore.”

 

I gasped. “Omo~ do you need a place to stay in? The apartment is good for-“

 

“No, not that,” he said, waving his hands in front of him. “The thing is… I’m sure you already heard of Jiyong not taking the music major right?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Well, the thing is… when Jiyong left, agreeing to his grandmother’s request, I confronted her for the first time. We fought, throwing words to each other, until she decided to kick me out of the house.”

 

I gasped.

 

“And, well… I haven’t seen Dami for quite a while now. It had been what? A month since we saw each other. And I’m worried about her. Not that I don’t trust the old lady of taking care of my daughter, but I’m still worried that she might be worrying about me too and you know, she’s just-“

 

“You want me to help you see your daughter?” I asked, my voice softening.

 

He looked up, his eyes glistening. “Are you really going to do that?”

 

I nodded slightly.

 

“But it won’t be easy,” he said. “I went to her school before to see her secretly, but it seemed her grandmother found out and she made sure that Dami wouldn’t go to school without guards. Though they don’t really go inside with her, they stay outside of the gates. So I couldn’t get inside anymore.”

 

I thought for a while. “There’ll be a way.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong’s Dad wasn’t kidding at all. Four guards were standing at the gates, as if they were really the school’s bodyguards, if it weren’t for the suits they were in.

 

“How are we going to do it?” Jiyong’s dad whispered as we hid ourselves behind a tree.

 

I was silent as I was thinking.

 

“I guess we’re just going home,” he said.

 

I stared behind me where he was and glared at him. “Ya! You’re way different from Jiyong, Mister Kwon,” I said, as I shifted my gaze towards the gates. “Giving up is not in my vocabulary.”

 

Suddenly, he became quiet. I felt a heavy arm leaning on my shoulder. Thinking it was Jiyong’s dad, I did not dare scold him, thinking that I still need to respect him, even though it was painful already. As I couldn’t take it anymore, I turned towards him.

 

I expected to see Jiyong’s dad but the one I saw was…

 

“Teddy?” I gasped.

 

He was staring back at the gates, amusement on his face. “What’s happening here?”

 

Jiyong’s dad looked behind him where Teddy was standing.

 

Teddy looked back at him. “Oh, you’re here too, Master Kwon?”

 

Mister Kwon immediately backed out from hiding. I pulled him behind the tree again as I did not want him to be seen by the guards. I fitted ourselves behind that tree and I glared at Teddy, who had replaced his amused expression into a confused one.

 

He stared back at the gates. And then to us. He smirked. “Let me guess…” he trailed off. “You wanted to see Dami, right?”

 

I shifted my gaze at Mister Kwon. He was biting his lip.

 

It seemed like Teddy does not have an idea, I thought.

 

I shifted my gaze at the monkey. “I am just asking you this once,” I paused. “Can you help us?”