Chapter Eight

A Month to Success

ASLDKFJALSDJLAKSJF BEFORE YOU LEAVE THIS STORY, IF YOU'RE GETTING BORED, SKIP TO CHAPTER 10/11.  Thank you :D

 

 

 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jinki's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I just so happened to be walking past Hyo-Eun's room again.
...okay, I admit, I wanted to check on Hyo-Eun.
I slid the door open partially, but froze with my head inside the room, and my body on the other side.  She was surrounded by doctors yet again.  This time, she was awake.
But she was sobbing quietly, like she was trying to hold in all her tears.
"Somebody get her anesthesia!"  The main doctor yelled and people rushed to get bottles of medication.  I wiped my sweaty palms on my shirt.
"Make sure you give that to her every hour."  He said curtly after giving her a shot.  I scuttled aside for everyone to pass.
"It's going to hurt for a while, darling."  The nurse wiped the tears that had let loose on Hyo-Eun's face.  "Don't you have anyone to take care of you?"
She shook her head.
"No family...?"
She shook her head more violently.
"Oh dear.  Isn't there anyone you can think of that would be able to...?"  And this is where I interfere.
"I'll be taking care of her from now on."  I stepped inside.
"And who might you be?"  The nurse looked up.
"I'm..."  What am I to her, really?  Not a boyfriend, not a husband, not a brother...  maybe, just simply...  "A friend,"  I smiled.  Yeah, I could be her friend.
"Ah, see, Hyo-Eun?  You had someone all along!"  She laughed lightly and looked at Hyo-Eun.  She had stopped crying.  She wasn't smiling, though.  She was just staring up at me with those eyes of hers.  "Well, I'll leave you two alone."  The nurse silently shut the door after her.
I had so many questions to ask, so many things I wanted to know, and so many things I wanted to confront her with, but I didn't say anything.  I kept quiet, and stared back at her perplexed eyes.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hyo-Eun's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I was surprised.  Who wouldn't be when someone, someone who you haven't known for long, someone who you aren't close to, offers to take care of you?  I was speechless.  And, well, since he's being so nice, I think it's time I tell him the truth...  besides, he lied with good intentions.
"Uh..."  I opened my mouth, but stopped.  How should I start?  "You know, about the kid thing..."  My voice came out raspy.
"I know, I know.  You're not married to Jonghyun yet, and you want me to keep it a secret to everyone."  Jinki interrupted.
"What?  No I was just kid--"
"No, seriously, I understand.  I'm fine with it; I don't think you're a bad person or anything.  Don't stress over it, and get some rest."  He smiled.
What the heck?  "No, I'm serious.  I don't have a kid and you haven't been in a coma for a year.  Actually, what day is it today?"
"Come on, Hyo-Eun, you don't have to lie to me.  We're friends!"  He chuckled.
"Can you get me that calendar over there?"  I nodded towards the calendar on the wall.
"It's the 30th of March.  Why?"
"Oh damn..."  I gasped.  "Is there a scale in the room?"
He made a face at me.  "A scale?  Like for weight?"  I nodded.
"In the bathroom.  Why?"
"Can you help me get there?"  I held in the pain and flipped the covers off.
"...are you sure?"  He looked at me skeptically.
The anesthesia was getting to me; I was feeling numb -- well, maybe the anxiety had something to do with it.
By the time I got to the bathroom, I was trembling with fear.  I hadn't looked at myself in the mirror since the check up.
I stepped onto the scale, one foot at a time, swallowing my heart back in place.
...
Oh no...
I was still at 120...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then Jinki nudged me to get off.  He played with the little thing on the bottom, and stood back off.
"The scale was wrong.  You can get back on now."
I looked at him with doubt, but did so anyways.
The scale said I was 97 pounds, but who is he to believe?
"You can believe me, I'm not lying.  You can check to see that the pointer starts at exactly 0."  He replied, as if he had read my mind.
So I cautiously got off again and scrutinized the scale, despite the jabbing sensation in my torso.  He was telling the truth this time, and I could feel myself trembling again, except this time, out of excitement.
"I did it..."  I whispered, tears welling up in my eyes.
"Haha, I hate to break the moment and all, but, wasn't this supposed to happen a year ago?"  He asked.
Oh my gosh.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jinki's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Haha, I hate to break the moment and all, but, wasn't this supposed to happen a year ago?"
Did they make another bet?
"Ow!  What was that for?!"  I rubbed my head in pain.  Where the hell did she get all that strength from?
"For the last time, I was lying to you.  You weren't in a coma for a year, and none of what I said happened, okay?!"  She glared.
"Really?"
"Do I need to hit you again?"
"Okay, okay!"  I raised my hands up in innocence.  A feeling of relief rushed into me.  Wait, what?  Relief?
That's...  odd.  What am I relieved about?  Oh right, my scholarship!  And Taemin!  Yeah, that's right.  Those are the only reasons why, right?
Right.
I think...

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Anyways, I'll skip to the "more important" events that happen along the story, because I, Lee Jinki, am not as important as Kim Jonghyun, and what happens with me and Hyo-Eun isn't as interesting as what will happen with her and Jonghyun.  And because I don't want to bore you.

So she finally persuaded me to help her sneak out.  I must have been crazy at the time, but I agreed and the next thing I know, it was morning...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone this excited to go to school.  Ever.

I waited outside for her to come out, so we could catch the bus together.  She skipped out wearing baggy pants (as in, 2 sizes too big for her), a sweatshirt, and not the most flattering shoes.  But then again, what do I know about fashion.  I'll just add another thing though: her hair was a bit... frizzy.

"None of my clothes fit.  But it feels good, you know.  They're actually too big on me."  She grinned.

"I didn't say anything."  I shrugged.

"Okay."  She shrugged back.

It was a quiet ride to school, and it was even quieter when we entered.

"So I'll see you after school."  She waved at me, and started walking towards the stairs.  So she will still be my friend?  I chuckled and walked towards my own class.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

There was so much commotion and all in the class.  It had been a while since any of us came to school, so everyone was acting as if it were the first day of school.  And you know what the first day of school means.  YES, gossip!  Actually, I was discussing the new fashion designer, Choi Seung Hyun, and his new line of shoes, with a girl next to me. (Jonghyun wouldn't listen)  I'll admit, he was pretty darn talented.

"Jonghyun, do you think Hyo-Eun did it?"  I poked him on the cheek.

"No."  He scoffed, but he constantly his lips and wrung his hands.  I assumed he was nervous.

"Are you nervous?"

"About what?"  He glared at me.  Oops.

"A-about the math exam?"  I whimpered.

"Oh.  I thought you were talking about Hyo-"  he hesitated.  "I mean, no I'm not nervous."

I faced forward.

"Class settle down!"  The teacher clanked his cowbell.  Yes, he had a cowbell.  "Let's see; who might you be?"  He turned to face the girl who had just walked in.  She wore regular jeans, much too big on her, and I could not recognize the brand.  Her zip up sweatshirt was from Adidas, though not from Jeremy Scott's line.  The ones you see at outlets and such.  Her shoes, oh goodness, her shoes.  They were just disgusting.  I would never be caught dead in shoes like those.  Maybe if they weren't so dirty and ripped...

Her hair was a frizzy mess; she really needed a new cut and some highlights or something!  Her hair was so dead.  I couldn't see her face closely, but she seemed acne-free.

"I'm Park Hyo-Eun.  I sit in the back row."  She said.  Whoa, she's confident.  She tells the teacher where she wants to sit.  Like a boss.  Wait, Park Hyo-Eun?  Her name sounds really familiar.

"Ah, class, this is Park Hyo-Eun!  She moved here from -- where are you from?"

"I'm not new.  I'm Park Hyo-Eun, the girl that you guys used to insult all the time.  You guys probably don't notice me because I was such a fat failure before, but I came back, and I came back here to win a bet."  She was looking directly at Jonghyun while speaking.  Man, where did that confidence come from.  It almost gives me competition!

I looked at Jonghyun, who I had forgotten about momentarily.  He was frozen in his seat with these vicious eyes.  Uh oh...

 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hyo-Eun's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I have no idea where that confidence came from.  Whether it was because I wanted to stand up for my parents so badly, or because I wanted to prove everybody wrong, or simply because of Kim Jonghyun's flabbergasted expression, who knows?  But I stood in front of class, something I had never done before, and said these words so fiercely even I was a bit intimidated.  These 3 minutes were wonderful; however, they were ephemeral, and I did have to take my seat.  As I walked to the back of the room, I could feel every students' dubious eyes boring into my back.  I passed Kim Jonghyun, and the smirk I gave him was most likely not aristocratic.

"W-well, then, let class begin."  I knew then, that I had not only shocked myself, but the whole class, including the teacher.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jonghyun's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I was not a credulous person back then, and I will not be one now.  I am positive that Park Hyo-Eun couldn't do the bet, so she decided to ask someone to pretend it was her.  There was no way she could have done it.

I gave a low chuckle.  "That's not her."

"What are you talking about?  She just said she was Park Hyo-Eun."  Key whispered in response.  Unlike me, Key was one eager to believe.

"She obviously hired someone to act as her after-weight-loss-result because she couldn't do it.  Come on, do you think losing nearly half her body weight in one month is possible?  It's not."

"Oh...  yeah, you're right."  I prove my point.  "Oh, Jjong!  You're so smart!"  He nodded happily.  Ah, what a cutie.  He'll believe anything I say.  I smiled to myself.

I won, Park Hyo-Eun.  I won.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hi, everyone!  How are you guys?  Was this chapter okay?  Heh, Key's not the only gullible one. LOL.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........  so who's obsessed with 2NE1's Ugly and Hate You?  Both songs have been stuck in my head all day.

And who's excited for SHINee's Japanese PV for Juliette?!  And for Super Junior's comeback!  Omg Siwon.  LOLOL.

Please susbcribe and comment!  It would motivate me so much more to update! ♥

Heh.  Thank you so much, AsianSwirls, for the poster and background!  :D