Chapter Six

A Month to Success

 

Jinki's POV

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

So cold.  So cold.  So wet.
 
It was as if Ii had fallen into a pool of ice water; I was sinking, drowning, choking.
 
I couldn't breathe -- I felt cold water pounding on my face, on my body.  This is a nightmare.  I want to wake up.
 
Wait -- I am awake.  Someone's spraying me with a hose or something!  I open my mouth to scream, but all that I do is choke on more water.  I jerk around wildly. I'm awake, I'm awake!
 
I feel the water turn off.  Thank goodness.  I fall back limply on the grass.  Imust have passed out on someone's lawn.
Moments later, someone tosses a towel at my face, which I gladly accept and dry my face with.
 
"Go home."
 
I force my eyes open.  Hyo-Eun?  I try to talk, but no words sputter out.  My whole body is numb with cold and pain.
 
"I can't move," I try to mouth.
 
"What?"  She glares at me.
 
"I can't-" I managed to croak out before I was interrupted with fitful coughing.  Oh gee, blood.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hyo-Eun's POV
He fell over to his side, coughing fitfully.  I saw flashes of red on the white of the towel.  Immediately I felt guilt wash over me.
Should I take him to the hospital?  I can't just leave him here...
 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I managed to get him to the nearest hospital, and seconds later he was on one of the cheap twin sized hospital beds.
 
"What happened to him?"  The doctor took a look at his closed with a skeptical expression.
 
I shrugged.
 
"Well, while we get himm checked up and all, why don't you go get a check up?  He may take a while."
 
"I don't really think..."  I began, but the doctor had gone before I could finish.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a check up, right?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"W-what?  Surgery?"
 
"Yes, I'm afraid that is the easiest and fastest solution."  The doctor sighed.
 
"I'm sorry, but what exactly is wrong with me?"
 
"If you can see here on the screen, your intestines are tangled up, which is pushing your liver and kidneys down too low.  This, your stomach; you see that dark spot right in the center?  I believe that's a minor tumor you have."
 
"If I operate... will I... survive?"  I was scared.  I didn't want to die like this...
 
"The chances are 50/50.  It depends how soon you operate."
 
I felt my heart skip a beat.  50/50...  "When is the earliest..?"
 
"Well, with blood tests, preparations and all, the earliest would be..."  He began digging through files.  "4 days from now."
 
I sighed.  There would be no point in arguing for an earlier day.
 
"Why wasn't this noticed before?"
 
"Have you ever been overweight?"
 
I nodded, embarassed.
 
"Chances are, these tests didn't pick up on the complications of your inner organs; instead, the CTs may have only shown the external complications."
 
Oh gee, this makes me feel absolutely wonderful.  I was so fat the x-rays couldn't dig through my fat.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I walked across the hall, wearing a drab hospital gown.  When I reached the long window, I stared out.  The third floor gave a pretty nice view of the night sky, and the buildings seemed especially bright today.
 
"So there's a possibility that I won't be able to enjoy this life after today..."  I pressed my nose against the window.
 
"Well it's not like there was much to enjoy to begin with."  Someone sighed from behind me.
 
"You're right; if anything, I should be happy that I'm getting away from here."  I nodded in agreement.  "Hey, what's wrong -- Jinki?  Why are you in a wheel chair?"  I turned and realized it was Jinki.
 
"Severe pneumonia and a collapsed lung.  Why're you in a hospital gown?"
 
"Surgery."  He raised an eyebrow.  "Tumor and screwed up intestines."  I replied.
 
"What?!  How long was I out for?"  He gasped.
 
"You were in a coma for a year and a half."  I shrugged.
 
"Seriously?!  What happened in school?  What about you and Jonghyun?  Is Taemin still going to school?  What about my scholarship?"  He shot out questions frantically.
 
I held in my laughter as I made up more lies.  He lied to me, so why don't I pull a little joke on him this time?  "I think the headmaster said you have to retake your last year again.  Your brother dropped out of school and debuted last month under some company; I don't remember what it was.  Oh, Jonghyun and I named our first kid Jong Eun; Key's the godmother --"
 
"YOU AND JONGHYUN HAD A BABY?"  Everyone turned and stared at us.  I covered his mouth.
 
"Shh, don't tell anyone yet, our parents don't know.  Oh, and your scholarship was given to Choi Seung Hyun, just saying."  I grinned and started walking away.
 
"WHAT?  NO DON'T TELL ME CHOI SEUNG HYUN TOOK MY SCHOLARSHIP!  HE'S NOT EVEN SMART!  WAIT, LET ME GO!  I NEED MY SCHOLARSHIP BACK!"  A doctor rushed over to him and tried to calm him down.
 
"Please stop yelling, your other lung will collapse if you don't be careful.  Now let's go back to your room and have you--"
 
"Don't you tell me to calm down.  I NEED TO CALL MY BROTHER.  HE PROMISED TO GRADUATE COLLEGE.  LET ME WALK!"
 
"If you decide to keep ignoring me, I have no choice but to put you to sleep.  Now I don't want to do that, but --"
 
"CHOI SEUNG HYUN STOLE MY FRIED CHICKEN IN THIRD GRADE!"
 
The doctor forcefully gripped Jinki's shoulders.   "You see this needle?  It's going to go into your arm, and when it does, you'll be calm again, okay?  Can you stop moving so I can help you?"
 
"I don't like needles!"  He started squirming away from the needle.  "No, no needles.  Please no needles.  Please, I'll be quiet, just no need- OW!"
 
"There we go, that was nothing, right?  That didn't hurt at all!"  The nurse patted Jinki's head.
 
"I said no needles!"  He wailed and tried to move, but he became infatuated with sleep.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sorry again for hardly ever updating...
It's a short chapter, but I hope you guys liked it!  I'll be updating again soon, I promise!