Chapter Fourteen

A Month to Success

 


Jonghyun’s POV


 

We were out of the office and dismissed early.  Hyo-Eun and I were alone in the hallway.

“About what I said before…”

“Key threatened you.”  She finished.

I nodded.  So she knows.

“Thanks, but you didn’t have to.”

Oh now she tells me this…

“Key made me.”  I shrugged.

“I’ll be going, then.”  She said.

“Okay.”

She turned and left me without a goodbye.

Oh, so that’s what I get for sticking up for her?


Onew’s POV


 

“And I’m dating her because I like her.  Because I like her.  I like her.”

These words were continuously playing in my mind.  He said he likes her.  In front of the teachers.  In front of the whole school.

My gosh, I can’t tell if he was lying or not.

“Thanks Onew!”  Someone slapped my back.

It was Key.

“For what?”

“For choosing me as your partner!”

“I didn’t; you chose yourself.”

“Well, thanks anyway!”

I rolled my eyes.

It wasn’t that I didn’t like Key…  he just wasn’t the brightest kid, and we have never talked before this.  Not that I had ever talked to anyone in this school.

“There’s Hyo-Eun!”  Taemin said brightly.

My head snapped up.  Indeed, Hyo-Eun was walking towards us – alone.

“What did you and Jonghyun hyung talk about?”  Good Taemin, asking lots of questions.

“He asked for the notes from the lecture.”

“He cares about notes?”  I couldn’t help but ask dubiously.

“Yes, he does.  In fact, he actually gets very impressive grades in school.”  Key pointed out.

“Oh.”  Well, I’m valedictorian, so I’m still smarter than him.

“Since the finals are cancelled and school’s pretty much over, do you guys want to hang out at the mall with us?”  Key linked arms with Hyo-Eun.

“Who’s ‘us’?”  She shook his arm off.

“Me and you!  So are you guys in?”

“I’d rather not shop with you.”  She sighed.

“I don’t either!”  Taemin said.

“And I have basketball practice until 9.”  Minho added.

“Fine, I’ll go with Hyo-Eun and Jonghyun!”  Key huffed and pulled on Hyo-Eun, who groaned.

Alright, don’t even bother asking me because I’m not important.

I sighed.

I wouldn’t even be able to go anyways.  I have to finish my speech.


Hyo-Eun’s POV


 

“Where are you taking me?”  I whined.

“You need clothes for Hawaii!  Don’t bother complaining.”  He shot me a glare.

I did complain, but I was still dragged into stores and forced to try on items.

In the end, Key got his way, and we left the mall with more bags.


 

This week passed by without too much commotion.  School felt… normal.  I had Taemin, Minho, and Onew to talk to, and Key would often drag Jonghyun to our table so we could “bond”.  Though our finals were cancelled because of the end of year trip, I took notes diligently while others slept through class.

People stopped talking about me, at least, not right in front of me, but they still stared.  It was better, though.

Onew was actually really busy preparing for graduation and all, so we only saw him once or twice this week.  Jonghyun and I didn’t talk much, and nothing really happened between us.  I guess if we weren’t “dating”, we could be considered “friends”, though I still kind of hated him.

Oh, and it turned out that Key was telling the truth that day.  Jonghyun wasn’t stupid.  The college acceptance letters came as proof, and well, I was shocked.

Onew was going to Seoul University on a full scholarship.  Minho had gotten an athletic scholarship to Yonsei University.  Key was going to study fashion abroad in NYU.  These results were no surprise.

But Jonghyun was also going to study abroad in NYU for two years, and was also accepted to Seoul University, majoring in music and minoring in writing lyrics.  So he was smart and musically talented; he didn’t look like either of the type.

Taemin and I chose our final courses for our last year; we’d be seeing each other much more often because we chose many of the same courses.

It was finally Friday night, and we were all dismissed at 7 due to rushed, final graduation preparations.  The school wanted us to be “relaxed” for the trip, but I bet they actually wanted us to do all the hard work.

Nevertheless, I was relieved that everything was almost back on schedule.  I had yet to pack my bags for the trip, but apparently Key wanted to pack for me.  Oh well, less work for me.


 

Jonghyun’s POV


 

“Key, where are you taking me?”  I cried.  Key had rung my doorbell, and as soon as I opened the door I was forcefully pushed into his car at 8 in the evening; I had no clue where he was going.

“I have to help Hyo-Eun pack.”

“Then why are you taking me?”

“I don’t want to waste gas.”

“Since when are you into conserving?  You’re the one who says clothes should be replaced every 4 hours!  And this isn’t even saving gas!  You had to drive to my house!”  I protested.

“Quiet, Jonghyun.   Don’t say a word.”  He covered my mouth with his hand as he pulled into her driveway.  “How we’ll go ring her doorbell, and you will just nod and agree to everything I say and I’ll design shoes with built in insoles for you.”

Okay; that I couldn’t resist.

“Oh, Key, thank goodness you’re here.  I can’t find –”  She nearly tore open the door and started blabbering frenetically.  “Uh…”  She looked at me.

“Well, I brought a few suitcases because I wasn’t too sure if you had enough room, and Jonghyun told me he wanted to come along and help you – you know, like a good boyfriend.”

“Wait, what?”  I stopped nodding and gave Key a confused look.

“So what was your problem?”  He completely ignored me.

“Uh, I can’t find the shoes…”  She said sheepishly.

“Which one?  I’m sure we’ll manage without one pair.  Besides, you have –”

“Your Replay wedges.”  She finished.

Replay wedges?  Do they play music or something?

“You mean… the first pair of shoes I designed didn’t mean enough to you so you lost them?”  Key’s face hardened.  Oh no.  Key was angry.  I remember once, I got ketchup on his favorite shirt and he didn’t talk to me for 3 weeks.

“Key, I’m sorry.  I’ve been looking for them, but – ”

“Here are your bags.  I already packed most of your clothes for you, but you can decide if the clothes I picked out are important enough to bring.”  He tossed the bags at her feet and stomped to his car.  Wait…  He was leaving without me!

“Key!”  I yelled and chased after him, but he was already out of the driveway.  It was no use.  It was one thing to get Key upset, but to get him angry about clothes…  there goes angel Key, here comes scary Key.  And boy, does he hold grudges.

So here I was, no car, no keys, no phone, at 8 in the evening.  What was I supposed to do, stay over at Park Hyo-Eun’s house?  No way!

…but it was a 40 minute walk back to my house, it was dark, and I was locked out anyway.

“Was he your ride?”  She sighed.

“Obviously.”  I glared.

“Well excuse me for trying to be nice.”  She glared back at me.  “Have fun walking home.”  She abruptly slammed the door in my face.

“Why is this happening to me?”  I groaned.  I didn’t even start packing.  How was I supposed to be ready by 5?


Hyo-Eun’s POV


 

I can’t find it anywhere!  I could’ve sworn I had it with me that day…  I guess it’s too late.

I was dragging the suitcases to the stairs when the doorbell rang.

I wasn’t expecting to see him shivering outside, but I was mistaken.

“I-I’m locked out of my house.”  He said.

“So?”  I coughed nonchalantly.

“C-can I stay here for the night?”


And finally, an update!

I had been feeling horrible for the past few weeks.  Just plain dreadful.  But I'm better now. :D  I don't know about you, but I find it easier to write this story when I'm in a good (or a better) mood, and I tend to write a lot of depressing things when I'm not.  I think my writing is a lot more deep when I'm not in the best mood, but when I am "happy", my writing is more... perky, fun, cheerful!  Like this story!  :D

Actually, though, I had this written a while back, but I couldn't think of more to write, so I was pretty down.  But then I realized it'd be better if I cut it off!  So here's an update, and again, I haven't been editing/re-reading my work.  T_T

/Sigh/.  So how's school for everyone?  I hope reading this story doesn't distract you from school, but makes you feel...  how should I say this?  I want you guys to read this and smile after a long day of school, work, sports, drama, whatever it is that stresses you.  I also want my writing to motivate you; to keep you from giving up in whatever you do, because the reward is worth the struggle.  I have a tendency to procrastinate and give up on things I start.  To be honest, I've never actually finished anything successfully.  I'm a bit ashamed of that, and I hate that I'm such a quitter.  Maybe that's why I wanted to keep going, and I wanted to write my first story as one where I, and many others, can relate to.  I don't think I'm the only one to have given up on so many things;  I want to change, though.  I want to have Hyo-Eun's perserverance, her willfulness, and her passion and ambition; I don't want to give up, though it seems so much easier to.  It's the promise I've made to myself, the commitment I've made, and Hyo-Eun who is keeping me going (in school and other things).

My urge to finish this story?  Of course, it's you, you, your comments, your support, and just the thought that you're reading this and enjoying it (even though you may actually hate my writing, sobs...).

What was the point of this super long message?  I'm not exactly sure, but I want you to know that I love each and every one of you.  I also want you to know that if you need anything, help, advice, just to rant, etc., you can always come and talk to me.  I won't ever judge you.

/Sobs/.  Sorry, I was so emotional.  BUT COME ON.  I'm an emotional person.  :D

Okay, I'll end it here.  Comments, criticisms, etc., are all welcome.  Thank you so much.  ♥ ^ε^