Chapter One

A Month to Success

 

Jonghyun’s POV

-

Found her.  It’s pretty hard not to notice her because she’s this huge blob walking around school.  I’ve been tempted to insult her, and make her feel worse about herself, just for the heck of it.  I’ve broken every girl’s heart and dreams in this school – except her.  So I decided, why not?  The worst I can do is break her heart.  A few insults wouldn’t get through her fat.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hyo-Eun’s POV

-

“Park Hyo-Eun?”  A familiar voice called out.  I turned to see who it was, and saw none other than the famous Kim Jonghyun leaning against the lockers.

“Yes?”  I asked in confusion.  This was the first time he has ever spoken to me.

“What size is your waist?”  He smirked.

“Excuse me?”

“I asked you what your waist size was.  Is your hearing muffled by the fat around your ears?”  I let out a breath.

“If you came to make fun of me, I’m going.”  I took a step to the cafeteria.

“Late for your lunch date with Big Mac?  Or is Angus the Quarter Pounder that’s strangely attracting you today?”

Don’t listen to him.  Ignore whatever he says.  Just walk…  I began to take a few more steps.

“What?  Are you offended?  Oh, it’s fine – I’m sure the owner of McDonalds would love you.”

Just walk.  Only 10 more steps.  It’ll be fine.

“Are you ignoring me because I’ve offended you?  Oh, I’m sorry.  Should I have requested you a personal trainer?  Or maybe a nutritionist?  Oops, what am I saying?  I can just send an application to Fat-Kill Camp for you!  That would be perfect, wouldn’t it?”  He went on.  “I could get you a discount, possibly.  I mean, they would pity you so much that they’d let you in for free!”

You’re used to this, Hyo-Eun.  You can ignore it.  I chanted in my head.  He’s just a jerk.

I reached the door and pushed it open with much force.

“Just go do whatever you need to do, and stop talking to me,” I gritted my teeth.

“I just want to help you lose some weight!  Isn’t that what friends do?”  He said rather loudly, catching the attention of the whole cafeteria.  “Who doesn’t agree with me?  I’m just saving your life!”

“Shut up, Kim Jonghyun,” I hissed.

“Please, Hyo-Won, as a good friend, take my advice,” he said sarcastically.

“It’s Hyo-Eun,” I snapped back, annoyed.

“Whatever – either way, you’re fat.  So take my advice, and go on a diet or something.  How do you expect to ever get a boyfriend, let alone a husband?”  Jonghyun retorted, just as annoyed.

“Ouch,” a couple of people remarked to his comment.

“See, people seem to agree with me!”

Not in front of everyone.  Please, just stop.  I can’t believe this is happening.

“I guess it’s hard for you, you know, to lose weight.  Considering you’ve been morbidly obese your whole life.  What is it?  Is it just you?   Or is it genetics?  Is your mom as fat as you are?  Is your dad fatter?  I wonder if you have any siblings.  If I were you, I would warn them before they end up like you and your parents.”  He laughed along with his crowd.  That did it.

“Don’t you dare insult my parents you filthy jerk!”  I was furious.  It’s one thing to insult me, but to insult my family…  that was a whole different story.  “My parents have done nothing wrong, and –”

“But I see something they did very wrong.  And it’s actually standing right here in front of me,” he sneered.

“I said don’t insult my family!”  I shouted.  I can’t stand it.  I’m not going to take his crap anymore.  “They have done nothing wrong, and I’ll prove it to you!”

“Oh yeah?  Prove it how?”

“I-I don’t know how!  You just have to believe me!”

“I’ll believe you if you turn into a size 00 in a month.  You have 31 days to go from morbidly obese, to a healthy weight.  If you don’t…”  He trailed off.

“If I don’t?”  He leaned in.

“You’ll regret it.”  He whispered dangerously in my ear.

 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jinki’s POV

-

I couldn’t do anything but watch as the poor girl was embarrassed in front of the whole school.  It wasn’t her fault she was…  okay, I admit she’s fat, but…  that’s not entirely her fault.  It has to do with genetics and the food she consumes and the amount of kilocalories she burns and so on.

But this poor girl…

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Key’s POV

-

How unfortunate...  I can’t believe he did that to her.  No matter how much I love him, I think he went too far, in terms of morality.  But something that’s even harder to believe is that she would actually agree to his challenge.  Sure, if you’re motivated to do something, you can…

But can she actually go from that to a size 00?  It seems impossible…  I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, because my favorite color is pink, but I do know that losing 80 pounds in one month is close to impossibility.

She ran – well, more like waddled – out as soon as they shook hands.  I can’t blame her.  She must want to die right now…

“Ugh, filth,” Jonghyun wiped his hands on his black skinny jeans.  “I can’t believe she actually accepted the challenge.  There’s no way that it’s ever going to happen.  How can she be so stupid?”

“Jonghyun, don’t you think you went a bit too…”  I stopped when I saw his glare.  “Alright, alright, sorry!  But I’m just saying, the girl didn't do anything wrong and you’re – okay, I’ll shut up.”  I put my hands up in innocence.  I didn't want him mad at me today…

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hyo-Eun’s POV

-

I ran out of the cafeteria.  All eyes were on me as I stumbled out the double doors.  As if I wasn’t self-conscious enough already.  I didn’t know where exactly I was going, and I ended up gasping for air at the school courtyard.  I took a seat on the bench, and it tipped over because of all my weight.

Great.  How am I going to lose 80 pounds in just a month!?

I could starve myself for a whole month…

But then I’d die.  And besides, there’s no guarantee that I’d be able to lose 80 pounds just by starving.

I turned as I felt a presence next to me, and saw an unfamiliar face.  Does he go to our school?

“Hi,” he waved.

“If you’re going to keep making fun of me, don’t bother,” I scowled back.

“I wasn’t going to make fun of you…  I came here because I wanted to help you.”

“I don’t need your help,” I glared.  “I just need to figure out a way to lose this crap.”

“I can help you…  I won’t make fun of you.  I really want to help,” he replied gently.

“How are you going to help?  It’s not even possible!”  I cried.

“You just have to trust me,” he smiled.

And I don’t know why, but I did.  And the challenge begins today.