Chapter 13 'Practice Makes Perfect'

Youngmin vs. Kwangmin

ROSIE-

They all reached the front lobby.

"Boys, you're here early," a lady says.

"It's a big night today; we want to make sure we get everything right." Donghyun explains.

Jeongmin bursts into laughter and then saves himself from a cough. "Yes, that's why we're here."

"Who's this lovely girl?" The lady asks.

Rosie smiles and blushes. "I'm Rosie."

Minwoo jumps up, "She's Youngmin's--"

"New friend! She's, Rosie's my new friend. I met her at the hotel." Youngmin interrupts.

Friend? ...Is this his way of breaking up with me?

Rosie turns to Youngmin. The boys look away and Hyunseong whistles.

YOUNGMIN-

Youngmin needed to take care of everything, and now was the time.

"Guys, I'll meet you in the practice room in a minute. I'm gonna show Rosie around real quick."

They all begin to walk away except for Minwoo. He frowns at Youngmin and whispers to him. "You better be back soon"

"I'll be there as soon as possible--"

"With Rosie." Minwoo finishes and leaves.

He escorts Rosie around the halls with his hands in his pockets. Youngmin has a habit of doing that when he's nervous.

Just get it over with already, he told himself. But I don't want to, he fought himself.

He sighs, "Rosie..."

"Do you want to break up?" Rosie asks.

No, I don't.

"Is that what you want?" Youngmin walks in front of her and looks her in the eyes.

"No."

It's not?

Youngmin tilts his head. "Then what were you sorry about when you were talking in the cab?"

"I was sorry that I got mad. Youngmin... you're still you whether you're famous or not. I was just, overwhelmed. You're just a normal boy who happens to be talented and known by most other people, that's all. I just wished you would have told me earlier, but I can understand why you didn't."

Youngmin froze up. He didn't know how to react.

She really understands me. How can she still accept me... after what I've done?

ROSIE-

Youngmin was silent.

I shouldn't have freaked out on him... I probably hurt him the way I reacted, Rosie thought.

Rosie is slightly startled as Youngmin hugs her. "Rosie... Thank you."

"Are we still together?" Rosie found the courage to ask.

Youngmin lets go of the hug and holds her hand. "Why wouldn't we be?" Youngmin responded to her silly question.

"I thought you wanted to get rid of me when you told the lady that I was only your friend."

Youngmin looks up in realization. "Oh, Rosie, it's not what you think.You see, in this company, I'm not allowed to date anyone... unless they're in the Starship company also. So what we have to do… is keep this a secret." Youngmin closes in on her and winks. They both lean it for their first kiss...

"Yo!" Jeongmin shouts before he realizes they were about to kiss. "Oh... my bad."

Rosie and Youngmin depart from each other as they look over to Jeongmin. Youngmin sighed in anger.

"Bro, we gotta start practice. We have a long night ahead of us."

"Alright..." Youngmin accepts and brings Rosie into their practice room.

KWANGMIN-

Kwangmin finished warming up by stretching as Jeongmin, Youngmin, and Rosie walk in. They were holding hands.

They're still together? Kwangmin observes surprisedly.

"Hi Rosie!" Minwoo squeals.

"Hi Minwoo," She smiles.

"Rosie, you can rest on the couch and get a front row view of our practice." Youngmin jokes.

"Yay! Rosie's our VIP!" Minwoo chuckles.

Rosie sits on the couch and looks around. The room was spacious and bright, anticipation gleamed in her big brown eyes.

"Do you guys have a concert tonight? What's this all for?" Rosie wonders.

"It's not actually our show. I mean, it is. But it's mainly the whole Starship Entertainment together. We're introducing a new group tonight." Donghyun stares at himself through the mirrors on the wall. He knew he looked good.

"A new girl group that is." Hyunseong does a jumping jack.

"Bora, Hyorin, and Ruby. STAR19" Jeongmin adds.

"You should come see the show tonight." Kwangmin invites. Kwangmin wanted her to be impressed by K-Pop. He knew she would enjoy the show.

"Yeah!" The boys agree.

Rosie grins. "I'd love to... if I can come with you guys."

"I can work that out," Youngmin winks and kisses her hand.

"Gentlemen, let's get it started." Donghyun announces as the music begins to play. (Let's Get It Started)

ROSIE-

The boys take their positions and spots. Right when the music plays, the beat sways around the room and the bass trembles through the speakers. They dance in sync with charisma and perfect rhythm. Rosie was beyond impressed.

Wow...

This was all so foreign to Rosie. Back in America, there weren't any groups. There were bands, but they didn't dance. Some did, but not like this. They took dancing and singing to a whole new level. Many single artsts didn't dance either, but when they did, they'd have back-up dancers. The group here was a total package. They were each other’s' back-up dancers as well as a soloist themselves. The timing and precision was perfect.

They must have practiced days and nights... Rosie decided.

After two more rehearsals of the same performance, the boys took a break. They reached into a fridge and threw each other water bottles. Except for Hyunseong... who reached for a popsicle.

"So what did you think?" Youngmin takes a seat next to Rosie.

"I'm speechless," she begins. "You guys are amazing! How do you remember all the steps? Even the little ones?"

"Practice, practice, practice." Minwoo answers. "And let's not forget, practice."

"Trust me, we mean it when we say practice." Hyunseong comments from afar.

Kwangmin laid his back against the door to rest as the rest of the boys gathered around the couch.

Youngmin shares his water with Rosie. Kwangmin looks away in disgust.

Several voices echoe from outside the room as the door slams open, causing Kwangmin to fall on the floor.

"Oh my god! Kwangmin, are you okay?" Rosie gasped.

"Yeah--” He answers as two men walk in the room. They were dressed in suits and one of them held a clipboard.

"We heard you boys were practicing." One of them said.

"Yes, Sajang-Nim." Donghyun stands up straight and puts his hands behind his back.

"Annyonghaseyo. Sanjang-Nim, KyuJae-Nim." All the boys got up and bowed down politely. Rosie got up and followed their lead. She didn't know what to do, but she knew the two men were in high position. She had to be polite. They were the CEO and manager of the company.

"Let's see the progress." KyuJae-Nim says.

The boys walk to their positions and perform to another song for them. Rosie sits awkwardly on the couch as the two of them observe in front of her in the middle. During the middle of the routine, Sajang-Nim's phone rings. He puts out his hand to excuse himself. The music stops playing as he talks on the phone.

"Yes, this is Sangjang-Nim of Starship Ent... What do you mean she can't make it? No... no, she has to. Tonight's their debut! What?!" He walks out the room but soon afterwards walks back into the room. KyuJae questions what the conversation was about.

"Ruby's in the hospital. She can't make it; she got in a car accident."

"But-- But STAR19, they have their debut tonight!" KyuJae puts his palm onto his forehead.

"We need to find a replacement. Now!"

"The trainees aren't here! They're all at boot camp, no one is available!"

"Bora and Hyorin can't do the performance alone; it's a three person choreography."

KyuJae throws his clipboard across the room. The silence increases in volume as the two of them stand stressfully.

"We need a replacement for Ruby. That's the only way STAR19's gonna be able to debut tonight. There's no time for them to change the routine. We can't risk it." KyuJae finalizes. He turns his head to the mirror in front and scans around. His eyes stop moving as they land on Rosie's. KyuJae turns around and stares at Rosie up and down. They were running out of time...

He knew what he had to do.