Revive

The Ride of Your Life

The group clustered at the bleachers in silence as you strode away, Sooyoung trotting to keep up. Kai wrenched himself out of the grips of Suho and Baekhyun roughly.

"What the hell? Who does she think she is? Coming in here all high and mighty as if she ing owns the place," he fumed, feeling rather sore over the 'pampered brats' comment.

"It seemed like she knew Sooyoung-sunbae well though," Lay mused.

"That doesn't mean much, if you think about it. I mean, you don't even have to be in the Underground to know SNSD anymore," Luhan countered. He, like Kai, was rather skeptical of the young woman's confidence and blatant distaste for the team. However, unlike Kai, he wasn't a cursing hothead.

"She didn't only know Sooyoung-sunbae. She rejected TVXQ-" Xiumin started.

"Probably because she knew she'd get beaten to a pulp," Kai interrupted, still glowering slightly.

"Even if that were true, it means that she's familiar with their racing abilities. Besides, she accepted Kyuhyun-sunbae readily enough, and he's not that far behind TVXQ..." Chanyeol reasoned slowly. 

D.O, however, had other worries for his team.

"I'm sure SM wouldn't have assigned us anybody incompetent, but she doesn't seem to care much for us. Wouldn't that affect her instruction?"

"Instruction, my . I couldn't care less what she thinks. Just keep practicing the way we usually do. So long as we keep getting better, she can't complain," Kai scoffed, causing the other members to mentally shake their heads in near exasperation. 

"Ge, what do you think?" Tao turned to the taller male beside him curiously. Kris said nothing, but kept his eyes trained on the girl now talking to a surprised-looking Kyuhyun by the side gates while Sooyoung signalled the remaining cars off the track.

 

 

You greeted the nonplussed man with a lopsided smile and a wave. "Hey Kyu. It's been a while."

"Hy-"

"It's Jinhye," you said firmly. The bemusement on Kyuhyun's face only grew at the correction, but he did not question it.

"Jinhye-ssi. It certainly has been. To what do I owe this, er, unexpected pleasure?"

"I thought we'd have a little competition. For old time's sake." Your grin widened at the now completely stupefied look the older male wore.

"But I'm hardly on par with your level, or have you gotten rusty?" It was only after the words left his mouth that Kyuhyun realized the slight he'd made in the latter half of his sentence, and hurried to correct it. You only waved it aside.

"Stop treating me as if I'm some sort of breakable figurine. I want to race you because if I remember correctly, you race with your brain."

Kyuhyun couldn't help but feel a little flattered at your compliment, but too many unanswered questions remained for him to feel completely at ease.

"Well, my brain is telling me that it would be useless asking why exactly you've returned to SM?"

You contemplated it for a second, and decided that there was no harm in telling him. He wasn't one to gossip about serious matters. At least, you hoped he considered this a serious matter.

"I'm training the new rookie team."

"Oh, you're EXO's new coach? Wow, SM's really pulling out all the stops with them."

You raised your eyebrows at the name.

"EXO?"

Kyuhyun chuckled lightly. "You're training them, and you don't even know their group name. I won't even ask if you know the members' names then."

You frowned. "I'm not being paid to be their friend or anything. I'm just here to whip their spoiled asses into shape. I really couldn't care less about who they are."

"You shouldn't think like that, Jinhye-ssi. And I wouldn't call them spoiled, either. Quite the opposite, really," argued Kyuhyun. "Their lives weren't easy."

Before you could ask what he meant, you were derailed by Sooyoung driving in a polished black Formula One. Instantly distracted, you reeled yourself in from practically hugging the car. As it was, you did forget all about Kyuhyun, the race, and even EXO for a minute as you ran your fingers down the smooth triangular hood.

"Well hello there baby~" you cooed softly. It had once been a Honda F1 RA106, but, like the rest of the cars you raced, it couldn't really be given a manufacturer's label due to all the modifications you'd done. Instead, you'd lovingly named it the Stallion, and while it certainly wasn't one of your fastest F1's, it was one of your favourite. You continued petting the machine as one might pet a kitten. "Did you miss me?"

Sooyoung jumped out of the car gracefully, and snickered at your display of adoration. "Most affectionate she's been since I saw her again and it's towards an automobile."

Kyuhyun laughed. "Jinhye-ssi, should I wait till after you've had tea and biscuits with your car?"

You snapped your head towards him, a genuine smile on your face. "Hell no, let's see just how rusty I am."

You swung yourself into the seat and strapped on your helmet before turning swiftly into the now deserted racetrack. Kyuhyun copied you while Sooyoung shook her head. "You haven't changed a bit, Jinnie."

 

 

At the blast of the gun, EXO watched the two vehicles speed away. They recognized Kyuhyun's blue Hesketh, and thus deduced that you were the driver of the black car. Brows were instantly furrowed as the twelve watched the gap between the two cars quickly widen, with Kyuhyun leading.

"What the hell? Does she seriously that much?" Kai demanded in disbelief.

"No...it's almost like she's..." Chen trailed off, unsure.

"Letting him," Sehun finished, before quickly looking around at his hyungs for signs of verification.

"But why?"

Tao got his answer immediately.

The black car was suddenly almost blurry as it sped down the course.

"She's not going to make the turn like th-" Luhan began, but was cut short as his object of criticism glided around the bend like a ghost. There was no harsh screech of brakes, nor any other signs that the vehicle had slowed down at all. 

It quickly caught up to Kyuhyun, who swerved left and right to block it from passing him. With due credit, his maneuvers were practically fautless, but, as the boys would realize, no ordinary maneuvers would have stopped their new teacher's next move.

 

 

You were swinging from side to side like a pendulum as Kyuhyun continued to cut you off. 

Just a little more...

When you felt the chassis begin to tilt towards the inside of the track, you smirked, and sharply twisted the steering wheel.

You hung on tight as the car spun through the air, landing halfway on the inner rails. Quickly, you righted the wheel and began alternating between the gas and brakes.

You spun around the course once with two wheels on the ground and two in midair before you got bored. Pushing hard on the gas pedal, you flung yourself back onto the gravel.

 

 

"She's bat crazy," Kai managed to spit out, gaping.

"Kai." Suho sent him a warning look, but Kai was indignant.

"What, come on! That's not sane behavior!"

"But she certainly seems to know what she's doing," Lay murmured.

Nobody could disagree. Watching you drive was almost like watching a ballet. There was no roughness, no uncertainty in the way the car moved. It was as if everything had been choreographed beforehand. It was almost a sensual experience.

Certainly, any quabbles the boys might have had about your competence as a coach had now vanished. The main worry in each of their minds now was whether or not they'd make it out of your training alive and intact.

 

 

--

I don't like physics. Just thought I'd put that out there. Oh, and don't try any of this at home. As Kai so wonderfully put it, bat crazy.

SO. Let's all suspend disbelief at the stuff Jinhye gets up to on the track, hmm? Makes it all the more fun.

I'm totally not saying that because I have no idea how races really happen and the stuff I've seen is hard to describe in an interesting manner. LOL I KIND OF .

Feel free to hiss and snarl at the sacrilegious blemish I've made on racing and physics in general in the comments! Or fangirl/fanboy about whomever. Or questions. Just leave me something so I don't feel stupid talking to myself all the time OTL

 

-Ace