Preparation

The Ride of Your Life

 

Sooyoung insisted on showing you to your room at another condo, approximately a twenty-minute drive from the SM building. You were on the twentieth floor this time. The two-bedroom suite was fully furnished in a simple, yet modern style. The walls were white, the furniture and appliances a sleek and shiny black, and the accents various shades of red. There was even a tasteful bouquet of fresh crimson roses set in a crystalline vase sitting on the living room table. You also noticed that all of your personal effects, from your clothes which were now hanging in the closets to your few pictures which were sitting in new frames that matched the decor, had already been brought over. A new set of cookwares awaited you in the kitchen, along with a fully stocked fridge.
 
You grumbled to Sooyoung about a complete lack of privacy, but she merely laughed. You both knew that there was no such thing under SM's watchful eyes. She then informed you that she and the rest of SNSD were in the building just down the street, and, upon your refusal of her offer to join them for dinner, gave you her number before leaving with a wink and a wave.
 
The click of the lock behind her was like the shot of a gun signalling the beginning of a race. You and Jinyong (who had been standing by the door motionlessly) sprang into action.
 
"You take the living room and the kitchen, I'll check the bedrooms and the washroom," you shouted as you began tearing things off the walls, emptying cabinets, and basically turning the place inside-out.
 
An hour and a half later, you and Jinyong had unearthed half a dozen cameras and speakers hidden in places ranging from the living room ceiling to the middle of the minute hand of the bathroom clock. You picked up one of the cameras and a mic smaller than your fingernail.
 
"Nice try old man, but no spying or the deal's off," you enunciated clearly with a smirk before crushing both devices between your fingertips. You could practically see the almost fond, exasperated smile on Sooman's face, as if he were dealing with a petulant toddler refusing her vegetables. 
 
A loud smashing behind you signalled the destruction of the remaining gadgets by the wrath of the hammer in your brother's hand. You turned around and surveyed the mess on the black granite floor appreciatively.
 
"Nice," you nodded at the wreckage before taking Jinyong's face in your hands, forcing him to look down at you. "You okay?"
 
"I'm fine." At seventeen years old, 6'1"(half a foot taller than you), he was slightly embarassed by the afternoon's events and your current sisterly attention. You caught on to his discomfort, and released him in favour of grabbing a black garbage bag from the kitchen and sweeping the mess you'd made into it.
 
"Do you have any homework?" you asked as you walked to the door, bag in one hand, doorknob in the other.
 
"Funny, noona," Jinyong scoffed, following you out. You both knew that he never had any, certified genius he was.
 
"Nice to see your ego's still as inflated as ever."
 
 
 
--
 
 
 
You handed him your phone after you started the car. "Ring Jungsoo."
 
"Hello, Jungsoo-hyung? Yeah, it's Jinyong. Do you and Chaesun have any plans tonight?" A pause. "Great, we'll see you in half an hour or so then." Another pause. "Noona will explain everything when we get there. Right. See you."
 
He returned the phone to you, then twiddled the stereo to Beethoven's Fifth.
 
"Four-note motif," he stated as the piece began. You grinned. It had been a while since you'd played this game with your brother, and you knew he was doing so for you to relax after everything that had happened.
 
"Fortissimo phrases."
 
"Four, to be exact." You stuck your tongue out at your brother via the rear-view mirror. Oh it was on.
 
"Fortissimo bridge by the horns, introducing the second theme. You are so going down lil' bro."
 
"Bring it, noona."
 
 
 
--
 
 
 
Chaesun's bright brown eyes and wide smile greeted you when he opened the door to their apartment.
 
"Noona! Jinyong! Come in!"
 
"Yah, it's Jinyong hyung to you, you little-"
 
You grinned at Chaesun's ability to instantly tick off your brother as he bounced ahead of you to the kitchen table, avoiding Jinyong's sad attempt at a noogie. There sat several boxes of Chinese takeout. Neither of the brothers knew how to cook. Jungsoo was bent over at the refrigerator, then joined you with two bottles of cold beer and two of soda. He popped off the caps, handed you a beer and the two sodas to Jinyong and Chaesun after you all settled around the small round table.
 
"Cheers."
 
The clinking of glass was followed by a short silence as you all drank. You pulled apart one of the disposable chopsticks.
 
"Eunmi's not here?" Jungsoo's fiancée was the only reason his and his brother's livers had not yet shrivelled up from constant fast food.
 
"It's busy at the lab. She'll be back later."
 
Eunmi worked as a lab tech at a pharmaceutical company. Appearance-wise, she was the complete opposite of Jungsoo - diminutive and delicate-looking, with long wavy black hair. Her eyes, however, constantly sparkled with a fiery wit and suppressed mirth. She had a passionate nature, in contrast to her boyfriend's stoicness. You adored the woman greatly, as well as the food she made.
 
"What's she working on?" Jinyong asked, curious about anything remotely scientific.
 
"One of the new machines won't calibrate properly. She's been working overtime to get the shipments out."
 
"Not to mention her new supervisor's a total blockhead," Chaesun added betweeen mouthful's of noodles. "You should hear her rant about him."
 
The topic of Eunmi's work carried you through dinner. Afterwards, the two younger boys left for the sofa and TV in the small sitting room while you and Jungsoo remained in the kitchen to clean up.
 
"So."
 
You threw the last of the boxes into the trash and sat down across from him, understanding and appreciating his bluntness.
 
"Old er's got me hooked up again," you muttered. Jungsoo's brows furrowed.
 
"Jinyong?" He knew you wouldn't have given in easily unless your brother's safety was in question.
 
"Yeah," you sighed. "To be honest, I'm surprised he took this long. I should have high-tailed it to China when I had the chance. Or to ing England for that matter."
 
"When does he plan on putting you back in the circuit?"
 
You shook your head. "I'm not racing. He just wants me to train some rookies."
 
"Why you?"
 
"His other racer's can't spare the time, apparently."
 
Judging from the look on his face, he was as suspicious of this as you were.
 
"Stay safe."
 
"You know I will, but..." you glanced at your brother, currently arguing with Chaesun over which movie to put on. Jungsoo caught on immediately.
 
"Don't worry. Jinyong will be safe here." You grinned at him weakly.
 
"Thanks. I'll probably drop him off occasionally. He's a smart kid, but-" you shook your head.
 
"Completely useless in a fight, I know."
 
You both sat in silence for a while.
 
"You know you can't protect him forever."
 
"I know. I'm planning on sending him to college abroad, get him as far away from here as possible."
 
Jungsoo gave you his siganture impassive look.
 
"He'll never agree to leaving you behind."
 
You sighed heavily.
 
"I know."
 
 
 
--
 
lol thing's are kind of slow aren't they? Sorry guys, but I really want to build the relationships Jinhye has with the people around her first, as well as develop their characters a bit. Don't worry though, EXO will show up soon.
 
And by soon I mean the next chapter. I mean,what?
 
As for the game Jinhye was playing with Jinyong, it's basically finding the musical devices and sections in any classical piece. As Jinhye stated, it was a relaxing pasttime. 
 
Also, I might be asking too much, but please comment if you're going to subscribe? Subscriptions are encouraging and all, but I'd really appreciate some literate feedback on the story itself. Thanks.
 
-Ace