Guinea Pigs - I

The Ride of Your Life

 

On Wednesday of the week of the Gala, you arrived at the track in the morning to find the entirety of SNSD present, along with Heechul. EXO was speaking to the girls awkwardly, clearly bewildered by the situation. Unfortunately, by the time you put two and two together and figured out what was happening, turning immediately towards the exit, it was too late.
 
"And just where do you think you're going, missy?" Despite the situation and how badly you wanted to get out of it, you couldn't help but grin slightly at the familiar, sassy voice.
 
"Away from you, obviously," you replied over your shoulder. You heard an affronted huff and looked at the man who had just caught up to you.
 
"Why would you want to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? I'm ing gorgeous. Have you seen my face?"
 
"Not for a while now actually. Are you really going to make me do this?" you asked with a resigned sigh, already knowing the answer.
 
Heechul was now steering you back to the bottom of the bleachers.
 
"Of course, since I couldn't for the last two years. And, no offence, darling? But you really need it."
 
"."
 
"Why thank you."
 
By now, you had reached the cluster of people, and EXO looked relieved to see you, though they were surprised by the grumpy look on your face that was almost a pout.
 
"What's going on, Jinhye-ssi?" Lay, who was nearest you, asked quietly.
 
"The Armageddon," you replied stonily. Lay raised an eyebrow.
 
"Pardon the drama queen, honey," Heechul said, smiling sweetly at Lay. You rolled your eyes.
 
"Dude, he's way too young for you," you said. Heechul scoffed.
 
"Puh-lease. Everybody wants me, young or old, male or female. I'm just too pretty," he sighed dramatically, then winked at Lay, who, to your surprise, grinned back easily.
 
"You certainly are a beautiful person, sunbaenim. Too glorious for a mere mortal like me. I could no sooner dare to want you than I could dare to grasp absolute perfection itself," he said smoothly, not missing a beat. Then he bowed and turned to join Chen, who was conversing with Jessica. 
 
You nearly choked yourself in your attempt to stifle your laughter at the nonplussed look on Heechul's face.
 
"Did he just...reject...me?" he stammered in shock.
 
"No. I think he just said that you were too good for him," you said, coughing slightly to hide your sniggers.
 
Heechul didn't look completely convinced, but shrugged.
 
"Oh well, there's still the rest of them~"
 
"."
 
"Hmph. It would be a sin not to share extraordinary beauty like mine with everyone."
 
You gave up, and was saved from further conversation by Taeyeon.
 
"Okay guys! So you're probably wondering why we're all here today," she beamed at the twelve boys, who murmured in assent. "Well, as you know, you'll be debuting this Saturday at the Gala..." she trailed off, staring around at them expectantly, only to be met with blank looks.
 
"...sooo, we need to get you ready for the evening!"
 
EXO look perplexed, and you sighed.
 
"She means that you need to get haircuts and suits and whatever other crap they deem necessary," you clarified tonelessly.
 
"But why are all of them here? Why can't you just take us somewhere by yourself?" Xiumin asked.
 
"She'd end up letting you go in jeans and sneakers," Hyoyeon said with a snort.
 
"Guilty," you said remorselessly, raising a hand.
 
"Jinnie's never really been a fan of these events, especially the preparation," Sooyoung said brightly.
 
"Meaning she she hates it with a burning passion," Jessica added.
 
"Yeah yeah, I'm a strange anti-social hermit who doesn't deserve to be called female, we get it," you said boredly. "But this is your debut, so you guys can't take it lightly." Your tone immediately changed as you addressed the boys, and they nodded.
 
"Right then! Let's go shopping!"
 
You groaned.
 
 
It took four black vans to get the twenty-three of you to the tailor that SM mainly used for their events. From the outside, an ordinary person would never guess that this was a clothing store (more or less). The building was covered in jet-black reflective glass. It was unmarked, save for the polygonal representation of a cherry blossom on the huge golden arc above the entrance.
 
The two doormen bowed your group through the gilded doors after Yoona flashed a black card at them. The lobby looked like that of a five-star hotel. You amused yourself for a while waiting for the elevator by looking at the awestruck faces of EXO as they took in the huge golden fountain in the shape of two entwined Japanese dragons and the ten-foot crystal chandelier that twinkled from the high ceiling.
 
The nine girls and Heechul went up on the first elevator, and EXO took advantage of their momentary absence to bombard you with questions.
 
"I've never been to anything formal before-"
 
"Do we have to wear bowties? I refuse to be put in a bowtie-"
 
"I'm not, ah, terribly fond of some of the things I've seen our sunbaes wear, to be quite honest-"
 
"Jie jie, I've seen people with bright green hair. I don't want bright green hair-!"
 
"Will we have to dance?"
 
"Will there be hot chicks?"
 
The second elevator arrived, and there was a moment of silence as you all piled into it. You held up both hands to prevent the babble from starting again.
 
"Don't worry if you've never been to anything like this before. It's the same for all rookies. You definitely won't be the only debuts there. No, I'm sure we can work around the need for a bowtie. I agree that some of their outfits have been disasters, but I'll make sure you look presentable. If they're going to dye your hair, it'll be in modest colours, blond at worst, so no bright green. You probably won't have to dance, but we'll see. And whether or not there are "hot chicks" is irrelevant, as you are not to flirt with anyone there," you finished with a hard look at the smirking boy.
 
"Aww, no need to be jealous, Jinhye-ssi, you'll always be first in my heart," Kai cooed.
 
You were too busy keeping yourself from strangling him to notice the scowl he received from Kris.
 
The elevator doors opened (which was a good thing for Kai, as you could feel your control wearing thin) and the twelve boys were seized almost immediately by a horde of men and women in black and gold uniforms. A few shot you horrified looks, but you could only shrug sheepishly.
 
"Good luck!" you called to them as they disappeared down different hallways. You then made your way to one of the armchairs, pulling out a laptop and sketchbook from your bag. Opening the sketchbook on your lap and setting the computer down on the glass coffe table in front of you, you asked without looking up.
 
"Don't you guys need to get your stuff?"
 
"We got everything ages ago," Sunny said with a wave of her hand. You looked up with a raised eyebrow.
 
"Then why are all of you here?" You glanced around. "And where's Heechul?"
 
"We're here to help you pick out your stuff, of course, since you'd probably escape or something if there was only one or two people," Yuri replied.
 
"And Heechul's seeing to the boys, I think," Yoona added.
 
"Oh good God. Out of everyone, you picked him to help them? With clothing? Have you lost your minds?" you gasped out, shuddering at the thought of the man's, er, unique taste in fashion.
 
"He was the only one who wanted to come, since the rest of Suju needed to get their stuff too," Jessica said.
 
"Well, technically, Yunho wanted to to come, but..." Tiffany trailed off delicately at the look you gave her.
 
You sighed, then buried yourself in your work, while SNSD began browsing the stacks of magazines by the sofas.
 
"Well, I'm just going to prepare for the worst."
 
 
About an hour later, a soft sniff roused you from your calculations. You looked up, and proceeded to choke.
 
Tao stood by the wall near the elevators, and looked as if he were about to cry. 
 
'With damn good reason,' you thought.
 
The poor boy was dressed in tight pants made of a shiny, reflective material that glimmered in different colours when he moved. His shirt was a mess of bright, iridescent dark greens and blues. To top it all off, it was adorned with a ruff of huge black feathers around the collar. He looked like a peacock.
 
"Jinhye-jie..." he whimpered. You were still too shocked to speak, as were the nine other girls, who were gaping at him with open mouths.
 
An awkward cough signalled the arrival of the next victim.
 
Suho stood next to Tao in a low-cut, sleeveless vest that looked it it was made of tinfoil. He wore nothing under it, thus exposing much of his chest, and looked plainly uncomfortable. His white pants were tucked into white, knee-high leather boots.
 
Your horror only increased as the rest of the members made their appearances. From Xiumin's fluffly white fur jacket, to Chanyeol's bright red trenchcoat, embroidered with a sprawling phoenix in glittering gold thread, to Luhan's torn pink shirt that was practically a dress, you could only stare as disaster after disaster presented itself. None of them said a word, but each looked miserable. Indeed, Kai was positively fuming as he stomped into view in his own getup (a heavily fringed black shirt with blue rectangular mirrors and extremely baggy and shiny sweatpants).
 
Finally, Heechul stalked into view, looking very pleased with himself.
 
"Well?" he asked with a grin.
 
"They're...uhm," Seohyun started, looking around uncertainly.
 
"They're very...interesting," Taeyeon said cautiously.
 
"W-what do you think, Jinnie?" Sooyoung asked in a falsely cheery tone, though her eyes were laughing.
 
You shut your sketchbook and laptop with a snap, and stared straight at Heechul.
 
"I think I've been traumatized."
 
He looked irritated.
 
"Excu-use me, but these are the latest fashions from -" he said indignantly.
 
"I don't care if they're the latest fashions from the ing moon. They're not going anywhere dressed like that," you cut him off firmly. "No offense, Heechul, but they look like they're going to perform at some pop concert or something."
 
Before he could reply, you stood up and turned to one of the women standing by the boys.
 
"Masako-san is still in her office, correct?"
 
"Yes, but she asked not to be disturbed unless you have an appoin-" But you had already stepped into the elevator, beckoning the twelve boys with you.
 
When the elevator doors shut though, a snort broke free from between your clenched teeth. That led to a full-on barrage of giggling, with you clutching onto the handle bars along the elevator walls for support. Looking around at the mutinous faces, you choked out.
 
"I - oh my god - you guys - I'm so - so sorry - but I - can't -" you gasped for air.
 
The ding of the elevator saved EXO from further humiliation as you pulled yourself together with great difficulty.
 
 
 
--
 
Had to cut off here or the chapter would have been too long lol. No worries though, I've got Part II written already, and I just need to type it up. :)
 
Also, just so we're clear, I love their stage outfits as much as the next fangirl, but can you imagine attending a formal function with those? LOLOLOL
 
And I adore sassydiva!Heechul to an unhealthy degree. <3

...and blame the abuse I'm putting Kai through on all the gifs and pics of him on my dash. -_-
 
I mean:
 
tumblr_m7zhjtvOBy1qg8qvmo1_250.gif  tumblr_m7zhjtvOBy1qg8qvmo2_250.gif
tumblr_m7zhjtvOBy1qg8qvmo3_250.gif  tumblr_m7zhjtvOBy1qg8qvmo4_250.gif
 
Kid's just askin' for it, I tell ya.
 
ANYWAY, NEXT CHAPPIE'S COMING SOON, DON'T WORRY. 

And trust me when I say you guys are going to love it. HOHOHOHOHO---
 
So uhm, tell me what you think so far? Do it for these precious dorks!

tumblr_m7zmc49ZZX1qb6k16o1_500.gif

(omfg Lay how are you so adorable aajsdfldskgldjklg;kkckckk---)
 
- Ace