Mechanic

The Ride of Your Life

Lee Sooman was sitting in his office as usual, with his usual cappuccino (extra foamy, two sugars) on his table, on a usual Wednesday morning. What was not usual was the cold frown on his face as he stared hard at the screens in front of him, each displaying footage of racecars zooming around the track. As he watched, one promptly bumped another into the outer rail, causing it to skid and spin before finally coming to a stop. He sighed and rubbed his temples, before punching a button on his desk for his secretary.

"Yoona, erase my schedule for the day. I need to pay our former Princess a visit."

"Sir, are you sure? You have a meeting with-"

"Yoona."

The woman on the other end of the line immediately stiffened at the unusually chilling tone of her boss's voice.

"Yes sir, immediately sir."

He picked up his cappuccino and sipped slowly, surveying the racers on the screen. The driver of the car that had just crashed had gotten out. He staggered to the hood of the vehicle before bending over and slamming down a fist in frustration. His scowl deepened. They needed help. And he knew exactly how to get it.

You didn't think I'd let you leave forever, did you, Jinhye?

--


"What's a pretty girlie like you doin' in a dirty place like this?"

You smelled him before you heard him. He reeked of alcohol and stale pizza. You ignored the statement and quickly slid under the body of the truck you were currently working on, hoping that he'd get the hint, though knowing he wouldn't. They never did, really.

The frame of the decrepit vehicle groaned and shuddered as the hood nearly gave away to the enormous bottom that settled down on it. You let out a breath of frustration.

"Sir, please keep at least a meter away from our workstations. You could get seriously injured." 

"I wouldn't mind if you were the one causin' the pain, darlin'."

You were saved from retorting by a shout of pain and a groan of metal above you. You slid out from your hiding spot to see the balding, heavily middle-aged man hopping on one foot, cursing someone's mother. 

"Sorry, sorry! Won't happen again! You really should have heeded the employee though sir..."

It was hard to keep a straight face. Judging from the huge cart of car parts in front of the stringy teen, Chaesun had just hit your harasser with some stray piece of metal. By accident, of course.

"You broke my ing ankle you little bastard! I'll ing sue, ya hear me? I'll ing sue you-" The man was still flailing around, while Chaesun hid behind the pile of scrap.

"Is there a problem here?" 

The man fell silent. You almost pitied him for a second. 

Go Jungsoo was, to say the least, an intimidating sight. 160 pounds of pure muscle, usually augmented by a burn or two on his usually exposed arms. Add the severe bleached buzzcut and old scar across his right cheek and you had the poster boy of someone you didn't want to cross. He had come out of the back room at all the noise, and was standing behind Chaesun with an unimpressed face.

Hence, the poor would-be customer had no choice but to turn around and walk out hurriedly, still muttering angrily.

You sighed angrily. 

"Hey it's not your fault, noona! It was that disgusting old fart-"

"Chaesun-"

"I swear, the next time one of them come in I'll sock 'em upside the head!"

"Chaesun-"

"Or maybe in the nuts! See if he still-"

"CHAESUN."

"Yeah?"

But one look at Jungsoo and he fell silent, and pushed the cart back to where he found it. Jungsoo then bent down to look at you.

"You alright?"

You nodded the affirmative, and the bear of a man ruffled your hair, then glanced at the clock on the cement wall. "Isn't it almost time to pick up Jinyong?"

You looked at the time as well, then shrugged. 

"Let me finish up this old granpa here-" you patted the abused red pickup you were leaning on, "-and then I'll go."

 

--

 

By the time you had changed out of your sweatpants and T-shirt and into something a bit more normal and less oil-stained, it was half past three already, and you were running late. With a hurried goodbye to Jungsoo and Chaesun, you dashed to your grey BMW and hurtled down the road to your brother's high school.

The grounds were almost deserted by the time you arrived. Cursing the bad traffic, you strode to the office. The secretary looked up as you entered.

"Oh, hello, Ms. Lee! Jinyong's grandfather picked him up today."

You felt as if your stomach just dropped out of existence.

-

"His grandfather?"

"Yes! Said that he was taking him for a game of chess, and that you'd know where to find him-"

But you were already gone the moment you heard the word 'chess'.

 

You old er, what do you want this time?

 

------------------------------------------------

First ever fic because it wouldn't stop gnawing at my brain. Just a warning that this is going to contain loads of cursing and violence. Also, the romance is going to come, but there's going to be some hefty plot and character development first. Be patient. I mean seriously, this ridiculous hunk of perfection isn't just going to fall for anybody in the blink of an eye, is he?

tumblr_m5vd91qnCY1qevb5mo1_500.png

Questions? Comments? What-the--were-you-smoking-when-you-wrote-this's? Come at me!

- Ace