Security

The Ride of Your Life

 

When you finally entered the living room, it was in a pair of black sweats and a red tank top, hair hanging in limp tendrils. You had demanded a shower when you realized that Sooyoung wasn't going to leave you alone until you got out of bed.
 
Kris was relieved when Sooyoung pounced on you like an overprotective mom and zipped you in a grey sweater, berating you about catching a cold. The water droplets sliding down your shoulders and creating dark patches on adventurous areas of your chest had been giving him problems. You rolled your eyes and pushed past her, going over to check up on Kai, still lying on the couch, his leg cleaned and rebandaged, courtesy of Eunmi, who had left some time ago for work. You either did not notice the slightly awkward air that hung over the group, or, if you did, you chose to act as if you didn't. 
 
Tao had filled Kris in on what Sooyoung told them about how Jaejoong really died, with some help from Luhan. To be honest, he had more or less guessed the majority of what they told him. However, it was clear that quite a few of his teammates were still struggling to come to terms with the knowledge, including Kai, who was now stuttering over his words as he tried to be more polite. You gave him a weird look, then chalked it up to his still being slightly feverish. 
 
'Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby-'
 
Sooyoung walked into the kitchen to take the call at the same time that D.O walked out, carrying two mugs of something steaming. He handed one to each you and Kai, staring at the two of you until you became uncomfortable and began to drink from the cups. Kris gathered that it was one of the man's many pick-me-ups from the expressions you pulled. Kyungsoo's drinks did their job, but usually tasted something terrible.
 
When the tall woman waltzed back out into the living room, it was with a wide grin plastered to her face. 
 
"Oh god, what now."
 
"Wow, don't be such a pessimist, Jinnie! SM just gave you guys a day off!"
 
You choked on your last mouthful of D.O's concoction.
 
"What?"
 
The question left several pairs of lips simultaneously, accompanied by surprised and disbelieving stares.
 
"Oh yeah, he said that you guys deserved some time off to recuperate after the fiasco last night. Also that it might be the last time you get time off for a while, since Prelims are starting soon."
 
You glared at her suspiciously.
 
"And did he figure out what exactly happened last night?"
 
Sooyoung's expression darkened slightly. "Apparently it was just a rogue group with a grudge. JYP said that he had nothing to do with it. They've all been...taken care of."
 
You snorted. "Yeah, sure. Like when he didn't have anything to do with 2AM either."
 
Sooyoung shook her head. "But he doesn't have a motive this time. He didn't debut any rookies this year."
 
"Because that old disgusting ert totally needs a motive to want to cut down competition."
 
"Well, we don't have any evidence to prove that though," Sooyoung sighed. 
 
"Whatever. Old er at least values his assets enough to make sure this doesn't happen again. Did he say anything about increased security or anything?" you asked, setting your half-empty mug down on the coffee table, ignoring D.O's judging glare. 
 
At that moment, the doorbell rang.
 
"Yes, and if I'm correct, that's the security right now."
 
You all stared after her as she went to answer the door, straining to hear any conversation. However, you were disappointed, as whatever happened in the doorway was entirely silent. Sooyoung returned a moment later carrying two large black briefcases. She set them down in the middle of the carpeted floor in front of the sofa before unclasping each with twin clacks. EXO crowded closer to get a better look at the contents, and few gasps were heard when they realized what they were staring at.
 
Handguns. Twelve of them, polished and lethal, laying against black velvet, each with a small tag in silver lettering, specifying their intended owner.
 
Kris looked at the gun above his own name, and recognized it immediately. Without thinking, he reached out and lifted the Beretta 92FS out of the case. The feel of the cold metal against his fingers brought back a rush of memories, none of which he was too happy to remember. 
 
He turned the pistol over in his hands, examining it, and then spotted your furrowed gaze in the reflection of the shining steel, eyes full of questions.
 
As if his actions had been some sort of signal, the rest of EXO each picked up their designated weapons one by one. Kris watched as Tao stared at the Glock in his hands, a sickened sort of expression on his face, and felt guilt stir none too softly in his gut. When he left China with the younger boy, he had sworn never to let him fall into a situation in which he'd need to touch a gun ever again.
 
Your voice was the first to break the silence. "This is security? I thought he meant bodyguards or something! Do they even know how to use guns?"
 
"I think he said something about bodyguards drawing too much attention. Guns are easier to conceal, and they can go with the person if you ever get separated," Sooyoung answered.
 
"And yeah, we do. Except Jongdae, I think - he was probably too busy with his computers," Chanyeol added.
 
"...what the-"
 
"It's like you said, Jinhye-ssi. None of us are really in this by choice. It was just better than whatever we had to face before. And most of what we did necessitated knowledge of gun usage unless we wanted to die," Luhan said, a little bitterly, eyes on the Colt 1911 .45 in Sehun's grip. 
 
Luhan's statement caused your thoughts and impressions of the twelve to careen wildly. You stared from face to face, trying to reconcile this new information with the people you thought you knew. Forever grinning Chanyeol, caring Suho, kind Baekhyun. Sehun, so shy and timid you couldn't imagine him hurting a fly, let alone a person.
 
"Right then! Now you've all got your big boy security blankets, so to speak, we should probably get going. You don't want to waste your day, right? Any ideas on where you want to go?" 
 
Sooyoung's attempt at lightening the mood worked, as the room immediately broke into chatter.
 
"Can we go to Lotte World? I've always wanted to-"
 
"Ew, what are you, ten? Can we go clubbing?"
 
"Kai, you have a leg out of commission and you want to go clubbing?"
 
"Why don't we go- "
 
"Sooyoung-ssi, can I talk to you for a second? Alone?" Luhan said to the woman quietly, gesturing to the kitchen, while the rest of EXO argued, keeping your attention occupied. Kris however, watched from the side of his eyes as the two remove themselves from the babble, Sooyoung returning a few minutes later, wearing a small smirk that spoke of knowing something the rest did not. He didn't have a chance to ask, however, before she announced that Hongdae would be their destination.
 
"Jinnie? Do you mind going down to the front desk and leaving a message for the girls that I'll be gone for the day? I said that I'd meet them later for dinner, but I want to tag along with you guys instead," Sooyoung said, smiling at you. 
 
"Why don't you just go yourself?" you asked incredulously.
 
"You need to get moving a little before we go out. That and the fact that the guy at the desk was trying to hit on me earlier," she replied with a little shudder.
 
You rolled your eyes, but left nonetheless.
 
The moment the door shut behind you, a loud crash echoed from the kitchen, followed by some cursing in Chinese.
 
"Kris, can you come here for a second?!" Luhan called. "I need your help!"
 
Kris raised an eyebrow before placing his gun down on the table and heading to see what the man wanted.
 
More clattering and bangs greeted him the moment he set foot into the kitchen, and he stared at the mess of pots  and pans and smashed bowls and plates littering the ground around the chair on which stood Luhan, trying to reach something in the back of a cupboard.
 
"What the heck are you doing?"
 
Meanwhile, back in the living room, Sooyoung had waved the remaining ten boys into a small huddle before starting to speak, quickly and quietly.
 
"Okay guys, so here's the plan..."
 
 
--
Short filler chapter is short okay. Also I'm not terribly happy with how this chapter turned out, either. :/  I'm kind of bleh with this story at the moment. I think you guys will enjoy the next few chapters though~ |3
I hope you guys are picking up some of the hints I'm throwing out about...things. n____n
 
tumblr_m58jsfkSMU1qcbmeno1_500.gif
tumblr_mavj2bLwCC1romzlbo1_500.gif
tumblr_ma7ee8jOxY1r3gv6to1_500.jpg
tumblr_mayl1re5y31qcq760o1_r2_500.png
tumblr_maloduVo2o1qcq760o1_500.png
 
 
....he needs to not. ;-;
 
HEEHEE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SOOYOUNG AND LULU ARE UP TO. GIMME YOUR GUESSES I WANNA HEAR 'EM. 8D 
 
Finally, shameless self-promotion, but I started an OTP fic (kray/baekyeol/baeklay) found here. Also I updated my Chanyeol fic (here)! I'd appreciate it if you wanted to give either a look~ <3
 
 
- Ace